The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden > Crown Princess Victoria, Prince Daniel and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 06:51 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalEnquirer
Is Ewa the Swedish equivalent of Eva? Pardon my ignorance, I am just curious.
Her paternal Grand mother's name Ewa with w

Old 02-24-2012, 06:52 AM
Commoner

I love the name!!!

It's different than a usual royal name but has history behind it too.

Old 02-24-2012, 06:52 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
I didn't label her a chav. I simply stated the name has those overtones in the UK. It's a name which would be mor e likely to be used by those on the lower end of the socio economic spectrum in the UK.

As I said, I'm sure it has different connotations in Sweden.
Badly stated on my part. I meant labelling her with the connotation of a Chav Barmaid. I just about fell off my chair laughing. It's almost as bad as the connection to the Golden Girls . . . . . .
Old 02-24-2012, 06:53 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Is it not possible that the Mary is a tribute to the most famous Mary of all? Not a Danish princess but the one who gave birth to the baby Jesus in Bethlehem?
Yes that is also my guess.
As it is the way for all Belgian princes and princesses. They all have the name Marie/Maria in there name.
Old 02-24-2012, 06:53 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Is it not possible that the Mary is a tribute to the most famous Mary of all? Not a Danish princess but the one who gave birth to the baby Jesus in Bethlehem?
In that case her name should have been Maria in Swedish, not Mary.
Old 02-24-2012, 06:54 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Estelle is a real surprise to me - i really like the name and its something different i think for a princess

Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanievl View Post
Yes that is also my guess.
As it is the way for all Belgian princes and princesses. They all have the name Marie/Maria in there name.
Lutherans don't traditionally have the same naming as the Catholic church - including Mary or Maria in the name.

According to Alice Trolle-Wachtmeister, the little princess is an image of Victoria when she was a baby.
"She has the same hair, nose and eyes"
Nobility

I think I will get used to the name.

I never saw Estelle coming, but after some 20 minutes since the announcement, it already feels better. :)
Old 02-24-2012, 06:55 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meraude View Post
Normally Eva is spelled with v, not w in Sweden.
Mmmmm. The spelt it with a V on TV4 banner.
Old 02-24-2012, 06:56 AM
Serene Highness

What time is the Te Deum? I have lectures this afternoon, unfortunately.
Courtier

Little Prince Christian will be charmed by many little princesses.. :-)))
Serene Highness

Did ANYONE see Estelle coming?
We will need some getting used to, but if the parents like it that we probably should just accept it.
Heir Presumptive

Oh I think it's a lovely name, an predicted if a girl, Victoria would honor her mother by including Slivia in the child's name! Estelle sounds elegant and very lady-like to me. Also, I like that Ewa was selected to honor Daniel's mother. Such a lovely combination, but I am curious as to where Mary comes from, any ideas?
Old 02-24-2012, 06:57 AM
Nobility

Ewa! On the swedish monarchy facebook page they spell her name
Kungahuset

H.K.H. Prinsessan Estelle Silvia Ewa Mary. Hennes titel ska vara Hertiginna av Östergötland.
Imperial Majesty

Princess Désirée´s daughter Christina and Hans de Geer have a daughter Estelle, born 2000.
Courtier

Quote:
Victoria has her godmother -- Desiree (on my phone so can't do the characters) -- in her name so I think we can guess that the princess has a future godmother's name in hers as well. Since Ewa and Silvia are clearly for the little princess' grandmothers, that leaves Mary and Estelle.
The Mary doesn't have to mean CP Mary of Denmark but I think it's likely in honour of a godmother
Serene Highness

I wouldn't be surprised if two of her godparents will be crown princess Mary of Denmark and crown prince Hakon of Norway, as the latest duke of Östergötland was the younger brother of crown princess Märtha of Norway.
Old 02-24-2012, 06:58 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG
Mmmmm. The spelt it with a V on TV4 banner.
The Kungahuset Facebook page uses "w". Hopefully we'll get the correct name on the royal website as well soon.
Old 02-24-2012, 06:58 AM
Serene Highness

What a joke! Ewa is the only nice name. Mary....

To be a legend, you've either got to be dead or excessively old!
Christopher Lee
Closed Thread