It's A Girl for Victoria and Daniel! Estelle Silvia Ewa Mary: February 23, 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Estelle? Queen Estelle? How do the Swedish pronounce that? Is it like 'Estellah/Stellah' in English - with the 'uh' or 'ah' sound at the end? Or is it with a silent 'e' as 'Estell/Stell'? Or is there some other manner of pronunciation?

Queen Estell - I dunno.

Queen Estellah - sounds okay. Sounds okay. Princess Estellah – a little lisp there 'ss-es' but okay.

I'm not a native speaker, but I speak swedish. The king said Estelle with the 'E' like the 'E' in 'bed'. But it's definitly not the normal 'e' from Swedish ;)

I don't like the name but it's not that ugly. But I don't like the fact that crown princes choose no royal names or traditional names to their kids, especially if the child will be the king or queen in the future. Estelle is not that bad, but I would prefer other name.

Many swedish royal experts are sure that Carl Philip is one of the godparents, not Madeleine, she shall wait for the next baby.

There's nothing funnier to me than seeing people rage and complain about what someone else dared to name their child. Estelle isn't a name I'd think to name one of my own daughters, but it's a beautiful French name, and the Bernadottes do have their roots in France. I mean, all of Madeleine's names are French. Not a Swedish one to be found.

Rather than making ugly assumptions about the name, and what someone with that name must look like, how about we rejoice in Victoria and Daniel's joy instead? Seems happier and far more productive.

I'm not a native speaker, but I speak swedish. The king said Estelle with the 'E' like the 'E' in 'bed'. But it's definitly not the normal 'e' from Swedish ;)
And how would it be pronounced? I am a native swedish speaker and that is definitively how I would pronounce it. Est... does not lend itself to a long e sound.

^^Makes more sense, he is now third in line (thank God btw).
Many don´t like the names because they expect a bit more tradition.

I am glad CP Victoria and P Daniel called their daughter like they wanted to. That is how it is supposed to be. Both have demonstrated how regal they are...Even Prince Daniel, the commoner! So despite everything that has been said about the name, this baby will be regal and a lovely princess like her mom!
I only hope CP Victoria won't be hurt by this negativity, especially by her so called friend and admirer Herman Lindqvist!

I hate the name estella, like many have said, it reminds me of an older jewish lady from NYC or something. But the name has been making a ressurgance recently, I have been seeing it more often and I'm sure I will come to get used to it. Estella will grow up to be a fabulous princess and give the name a new image anyway. But how lovely would Desiree Silvia Eva Lillian have been!?!

I have to admit, that I thought the little princess' name was strange, due to not being exactly traditional, but I absolutely adore it. It means "star" and sounds very romantic to me. I'm sure she'll become the brightest star of Sweden, a lovely queen! :flowers:

Regarding her other names, Silvia and Ewa are not surprising at all, seeing they are the names of the happy Grandmothers, so I was expecting them.

As for Mary, I read that many people think it's because of Crown Princess Mary. I think it's possible, but I was more thinking about Mary, the mother of Jesus. What do you guys think? Are Victoria and Daniel really religious?

Many swedish royal experts are sure that Carl Philip is one of the godparents, not Madeleine, she shall wait for the next baby.

I think that is logical seeing as Carl Philip is older than Madeleine, so he is one of my guesses for a possible godparent too.

There's nothing funnier to me than seeing people rage and complain about what someone else dared to name their child. Estelle isn't a name I'd think to name one of my own daughters, but it's a beautiful French name, and the Bernadottes do have their roots in France. I mean, all of Madeleine's names are French. Not a Swedish one to be found.

Rather than making ugly assumptions about the name, and what someone with that name must look like, how about we rejoice in Victoria and Daniel's joy instead? Seems happier and far more productive.

My thoughts too. It's not a name I would have chosen but it's not my child. And if you have any doubts about how the parents feel, just go back and look at that picture of Daniel at the Te Deum!

Last edited:
I must say that i an very angry and dissapointed at Herman Lindqvist. Ok he doesn't like the names but why not simply say that to the media ? There is absolutely no reason for him to being rude. He has spent the whole day to call the name of the little Princess like à "night club Queen" and "a pastry". He hates the name Silvia because it's german, he likes the name Ewa but adds that it is defenitely not à suitable name for a royal Princess and he hates the name Mary because they used the english version and i'ts not a traditional name. It's unacceptable and well below his dignity to say that. I agree with Roger Lundgren that the only one that might be affected in a negative way by this statements is Herman Lindqvist himself and his work. Gladly Herman Lindqvist has gained à lot of critisism from other historians and from many swedes over the whole country. Not because he told media that he did not like the names but for being so rude.

Oh, the name is horrible :sad: I was so excited yesterday (late congratulations to Victoria and Daniel from me :flowers:) and so disappointed today. I think among all the names of children of the Crown Prince couples this is the worst. Someone could say that Victoria and Daniel had the right to choose whatever name they liked, but I don`t agree, they are simply not a normal couple, they should choose a royal name fit for a future queen :bang: Queen Estelle of Sweden? Really?
And the other names don`t match each other at all. Plus it`s like Silvia is German, Ewa Polish (I know it`s after Daniel`s mother, but in this spelling is does look Polish to me, I can`t help it) and Mary English. And the baby is a Swedish princess... weird.

That's exactly what I think. But for me the worst name is Ariane, it's not a beautiful or regal name at all. Ariane will not be the queen, so it's not a big deal. But Estelle... C'mon...

Could Mary come from Princess Lilian? Her name is Lilian May. The month of May is considered Mary's month in religious calendars.

I must say that i an very angry and dissapointed at Herman Lindqvist. Ok he doesn't like the names but why not simply say that to the media ? There is absolutely no reason for him to being rude. He has spent the whole day to call the name of the little Princess like à "night club Queen" and "a pastry". He hates the name Silvia because it's german, he likes the name Ewa but adds that it is defenitely not à suitable name for a royal Princess and he hates the name Mary because they used the english version and i'ts not a traditional name. It's unacceptable and well below his dignity to say that. I agree with Roger Lundgren that the only one that might be affected in a negative way by this statements is Herman Lindqvist himself and his work. Gladly Herman Lindqvist has gained à lot of critisism from other historians and from many swedes over the whole country. Not because he told media that he did not like the names but for being so rude.

That was very obnoxious from his side. He is a friend of Victoria, it could hurt her feelings. :ermm:

As for Mary, I read that many people think it's because of Crown Princess Mary. I think it's possible, but I was more thinking about Mary, the mother of Jesus. What do you guys think? Are Victoria and Daniel really religious?
Mary is not the name used in Sweden for the mother of Jesus, the Swedish name is Maria, and it's not used by Lutherans in the way as it's done in Catholic countries to name a child after the mother of Jesus.

I must say Estelle wasn't a name I was thinking of. I had been reading everyone predications on names and was ready for something completely different. That being said I like the name(s). I think it's lovely she honored the Grandmothers and Mary well I love that name.

Queen Silvia and Prince Daniel look over the moon. So happy for them and the rest of the Swedish Royal Family. It's lovely for them to have a new baby in the family. :flowers:

But Silvia is NOT a German name. It's used in Germany, but it's actually Latin and was first mentioned in Roman mythology. I guess the male form Silvius is the original form of the name. Maybe someone should tell Mr. Lindqvist. :p Ewa is a nice name - I would have even liked it as a first name.

Edit: I just googled and yes, Silvius is the original form. It comes from the Latin word "silva" and means "man of the woods".

Last edited:
Well for those who so dislike the name you have got decades to get used to it before Queen Estelle of Sweden succeeds to the throne. Maybe by then you will have recovered from the shock. In the mean time smelling salts may help keep you from fainting away.:flowers:

My goodness, the nastiness over this little newborn's name!

Dierna23 said:
But Silvia is NOT a German name. It's used in Germany, but it's actually Latin and was first mentioned in Roman mythology. I guess the male form Silvius is the original form of the name. Maybe someone should tell Mr. Lindqvist. :p Ewa is nice name - I would have even liked it as a first name.

I don't think the royal family will speak to him anymore after this day

I too think Herman Lindqvist exaggerating. I'm not fond of the name, but it's not THAT bad. I like the idea that the little Princess could give this name a new image.

Last edited:
Dierna23 said:
I too think Herman Lindqvist is exaggerating. I'm not fond of the name, but it's not THAT bad. I like the idea that the little Princess could give this name a new image.

I agree. I had hoped for a more traditional name too but his reaction was just out of proportion. After all, they didn't name the baby Spiderpig.

Could Mary come from Princess Lilian? Her name is Lilian May. The month of May is considered Mary's month in religious calendars.
I guess that's stretching it a bit... Mary is most probably to honour her godmother. No one doubts now that Mary of Denmark will be chosen.

I'm sorry some people need to get a grip. These are the names that Victoria and Daniel liked and wanted for their child just like we all name our children I'm sure those names mean something to them. Not liking the name won't change it so everyone is going to have to get used to it that is her name.

There are so many negative comments about the baby's name! I understand that some people are disappointed, but it is the parents' right to name their child. Estelle is a nod towards Silvia's Brazilian ancestry, perhaps. Her maternal grandfather was Artur Floriano de Toledo (1873–1935), a descendant of King Afonso III of Portugal and his concubine Maria Peres de Enxara. Could Mary come from Maria?

Estelle - Well I certainly did not see that one coming. First time I heard it I looked like this :eek: . But it has grown on me as the hours has passed. Now I rather like it.

I know a lot of you would have liked a more historical name, and I do like those as well.
However I also find it amusing when the royals totally surprises us like the names Felix, Henrik & Vincent have done here in Denmark. :eek: :lol:

Besides a name has to start somewhere to become historical. There was a "first one" even for names like Kristina, Ulrika, Lilian...

I'm sorry some people need to get a grip. These are the names that Victoria and Daniel liked and wanted for their child just like we all name our children I'm sure those names mean something to them. Not liking the name won't change it so everyone is going to have to get used to it that is her name.
Exactly princess carmen! So much negative energy towards the little princess the day after she is born!
Just today we learned the terrible news concerning Prince Friso, we should be glad and thankful that she is healthy baby and stop, pardon my language but, bitching about her name! :neutral:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom