It's A Girl for Victoria and Daniel! Estelle Silvia Ewa Mary: February 23, 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Estelle! That's a surprising choice - I wonder where they got that from? I have to admit it's not my cup of tea; to me, it seems like one of those unappealing grandma names. BUT I also remember my grandmother being appalled at one of my cousins being named 'Isabella' years ago now - she couldn't understand why anyone would give a baby such an ugly, old fashioned name, and I'm pretty sure she wasn't the only one with that opinion. And now of course you can't shake a stick without hitting a little Isabella/Isabelle/Stella/Ella, etc, at least in this part of the world.

It wouldn't surprise if we start seeing more Estelles and Adeles and similar sounding names over the next couple of years because of the huge popularity of the singer Adele.

According to german television Estelle means little star.
Maybe that's the reason for this name ;)

On German TV they just said that the name sounds like one of the nightclub acquaintances of Carl Gustaf :ninja:

On German TV they just said that the name sounds like one of the nightclub acquaintances of Carl Gustaf :ninja:

This is so rude and mean. To involve an innocent baby into the King's troubles is disgusting.

I like the names - Estelle is unusual but the more I say it the more I like it. The other two names are a tribute to the baby's grandmothers which is a very nice gesture. I do not know why Mary - but I always like it.

Naggi said:
This is so rude and mean. To involve an innocent baby into the King's troubles is disgusting.

Quite right. As far as I'm concerned, The King has admitted his wrongs and moved on and I think it is shameful and disrespectful to use Princess Estelle as a media tool to insult him in such a way. This is disgraceful.

Congrats to Prince Daniel and Princess Victoria on their new arrival. I bet she's beautiful.

Well for those who so dislike the name you have got decades to get used to it before Queen Estelle of Sweden succeeds to the throne. Maybe by then you will have recovered from the shock. In the mean time smelling salts may help keep you from fainting away.:flowers:

Awesomeness.

Esmerelda said:
I agree. I had hoped for a more traditional name too but his reaction was just out of proportion. After all, they didn't name the baby Spiderpig.

Double awesomeness.

:ROFLMAO:

"Queen Estelle" does not sound good to some but,maybe she will take a regnal name.Like Margaret II,Christina II,Ulrika II or Victoria II.I like Victoria II!

Last edited:
I would change it by deed poll --- horrible name? Yes it's their choice. But horrible all the same!

I agree. I had hoped for a more traditional name too but his reaction was just out of proportion. After all, they didn't name the baby Spiderpig.
Yes, you are right! :ohmy:
Now I come to think of it, we should definitely remember to say a prayer of thanks that they did not name her Spiderpig! :lol: :lol: :lol:

You´ve definitely made my day, Esmerelda! ;) :flowers:

I must be the only one here who actually likes the name Estelle!

Congratulations to the new parents, aunts and uncles, and new grandparents! I bet the King and Queen are very excited.

I really like how careful and correct Daniel is with his public image ever since he became the husband of the Crown Princess -seems he had packed a formal suit for the press conference and changed back in more comfortable and casual clothes for the ride home. Very stylish and correct.

I agree! I just wished he combed his hair less!! Sometimes they are really too sleek and appear completely slathered in hair gel :ermm:

I think Victoria and Daniel chose a lovely name for their daughter. 'Estelle' rings of the 1920s/30s, and sounds very elegant. The other names pay tribute to the the little one's grandmothers, which is such a lovely touch.

I don't dislike the name Estelle but I don't like it for a Queen.

The Royal Court's reaction to Herman Lindqvist's comments:
It is his opinion, he has his taste, I can have an opinion about Herman, but I have not, says the court information officer Bertil Ternert to Expressen.se.
Google Translate

I've noticed in other articles besides the Expressen one - Estelle Silvia Dr Mary??? What's with the "Dr". It's Ewa.

I don't dislike the name Estelle but I don't like it for a Queen.

Can she choose to be styled differently when she inherits the throne, and be known as let's say 'Queen Silvia'?

Can she choose to be styled differently when she inherits the throne, and be known as let's say 'Queen Silvia'?

Why would she do that? No one of us knows in what kind of a world people are living about 2060 when Estelle becomes a queen? Estelle can be a very beautiful and dignified name then.

In Sweden about 75% of all new mothers leave the hospital within 6-48 hours after a normal delivery. The parents have the telephone number to the maternity ward and can call or come in if they have any questions or are worried, and the new parents usually get a visit at home by a nurse from the Child Care Central (BVC) during the first week or so.

Interesting. But there's a big difference between 6 and 48 hours...

In the end, does it really matter whether the name is fit for a queen or not? If there's a problem with it or turns out she dislikes it herself when she becomes of age, she can always change it. Also, it might be around 50 years before this princess might become a queen. Who knows if monarchy even exists in Sweden then? It is a long time and I wouldn't be surprised if she never became a queen. Of course I wish she did but how am I to know.

I love the meaning of the name. I'm more used to the latin form of it since that can be found in my family. In a way I do think there should be more unique names used but I've sort of been old-fashioned in these things. And I was hoping there would've been a little Astrid, Katarina Lovisa or Ingeborg/Ingegerd...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom