Is Victoria Boring?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lena

Heir Apparent
City
Mandø
Country
Denmark
How is it, that princesses like Letizia or Mary get so much more attention, while Victoria, as future heir, is getting so little on this board. As it seems one can quarrel about Mary&Letizia&Maxima for hours, while the comments on Victoria seems to be "She looks nice"..."She is doing a great job"...but as it seems not many wanna deal with her in a deeper way.
Just my feeling? If not, why is that so?

Well, IMO, it's mostly about fashion. Victoria always kind of looks the same. She wears different outfits, of course, but she has that general look: suits, glasses, and that ever-present ponytail. She needs to shake it up more.

She pulls a lot of funny faces which get a lot of attention but generally speaking I will have to admit that I find her a nice girl but very boring. Then again it is better to be boring than getting up to some of the antics that some young royals do.
Boring is uninteresting but boring is good.

I am very interested in Victoria, I have always been. Victoria is one of my favourite royals (the others are Letizia and Felipe and Mathilde and Philippe). I think that Victoria is a beautiful and intelligent young women, and I don´t complain about her clothes either. I don´t care very much about fashion. The only thing I don´t like about Victoria is her ponytail!
I admire her because of how well she concentrates in her work. I think that she will be a great queen for Sweden one day.

Victoria is for me one of the most lovely princesses ~!! I think because she is'not married yet we here less from her then the other princesses !!

She is not boring as a personality but her fashion is absolutely boring. Comparing with other crown princesses she is almost invisible in media. But she is the only adult female heir at the moment and that's why she not boring.

I think people seem to be more interested in princess consorts....the lovely woman marrying a prince, etc...it tends to feed into everyone's childhoods filled with Cinderella, Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, etc. I also think people like to watch the transformation from commoner to royal, it's just a more interesting story for most people. People can also more closely identify with princesses like Mary who have lived lives much like themselves before marrying a prince.

I don't finde CP Victoria boring.

I find her interesting. She seems down to earth, intelligent and carefree (in terms of her funny faces). I do agree her clothes are dull. She needs more color to her wardrobe.

I think people seem to be more interested in princess consorts....the lovely woman marrying a prince, etc...it tends to feed into everyone's childhoods filled with Cinderella, Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, etc. I also think people like to watch the transformation from commoner to royal, it's just a more interesting story for most people. People can also more closely identify with princesses like Mary who have lived lives much like themselves before marrying a prince.

Actually I think that you have a point to be honest. Maybe its not the be all & end all, but maybe it does have an impact. For example, with the more controversial entries to royal families there were "how well will she do" questions for ages.

I think that Victoria does what she does, she is very good at it, but perhaps like has been said she does not cause such a fashion stir.

But then there is also the fact that she is unmarried - she is only open to engagement articles rather than any pregnancy rumors and any other associated controversies.

It's a fact I also noticed, Lena.

It's not only "Victoria" who doesn't attrack that much attention, but somehow it's a phenomenon that happens to the Swedish as well as the Norwegian or Belgian Family.

All of this families and Crown Princesses get less attention then Mary or Letizia.

Mary and Letizia appeared in the Royal circles around the same time; they were spreading lots of glamour and offered quite good stories for the gossips mags (pregnancy rumors and so on).
People mostly discuss their fashion and style.

Victoria is the most professional Crown Princess, but she didn't have the "Glamour" moments yet.

My prediction:
When Victoria gets engaged, marries Daniel and has her first kids, then she'll be as interesting for gossip mags and forum posters as other Princesses. This seems to be the way it works. ;) Sadly...

I really admire Victoria for everything that she has accomplished. She seems like a genuine person, and seems close with her family. Yes, her fashion-sense is very boring (IMO). I think that the buzz surrounding Mary, Letizia, Mette-Marit, Maxima, etc, is that they were all commoners at one point or another. It has been interesting to see them go through the "princess school" where they underwent extensive training and makeovers. Victoria was born into this role, and the "princess school" effect hasn't been as dramatic as it has on the other CPs.

I also think it has to do with the fairy tale aspect of a princess. She was born one so there is no transition or change where as with the others they have to learn their roles. We get to watch the change from commoner to royal.

I fully agree with opinions of those members, who noted that a current crop of European Crown Princess such as Letizia, Mary, Maxima, and, to lesser extent, Mette Marit allow usual people to somewhat relive the ever-fascinating Cinderella story. I do not think that Crown Princess Victoria's fashion sense is boring. It is classic and timeless as it should be. Crown Princess Mathilde of Belgium is said to be boring as well. I still can not figure out what Crown Princess Victoria or Crown Princess Mathilde should do in order to avoid being labelled as "boring".

I should rephrase the fashion statement. Her clothes are lovely and elegant, it is her hair (IMO). She always pulls it back into a ponytail. She has such beautiful hair, and IMO, she should wear it without the ponytail more often.

I should rephrase the fashion statement. Her clothes are lovely and elegant, it is her hair (IMO). She always pulls it back into a ponytail. She has such beautiful hair, and IMO, she should wear it without the ponytail more often.
Well, but honestly.. I don't think it's her hair that makes her less interesting for posters. ;) Other Princesses have boring hairdos, too.

IMO most of the interest the other princesses get is more fashion orientated, what they are wearing, how often is recycled, the jewelry and the hair. While with Victoria her work gets more attention. Look at CP Mary she's seen for her fashion first and foremost, then comes what work she does, and with her recent trip abroad there is discussion of the motivates behind, was it just for show? Too little to late? With Mette Marit people question if she really enjoys her work. Leitizia, there seems to be a polar divide with people either hating or loving her. But with Victoria no one doubts shes good at what she does and that she loves it. I don't think I've yet to come across someone who out right hates her or thinks shes unfit for her role. Her biggest controversy is Daniel and marriage. With the lack of extremely fashionable cloths, jewelry and cute kids from a news angle there isn't much to write about so she gets less interest.

I don't find her boring, in fact shes my favorite. Yes I wish she would pay a little more interest in fashion, but I can never see her as boring.

I am very interested in Victoria, I have always been. Victoria is one of my favourite royals (the others are Letizia and Felipe and Mathilde and Philippe). I think that Victoria is a beautiful and intelligent young women, and I don´t complain about her clothes either. I don´t care very much about fashion. The only thing I don´t like about Victoria is her ponytail!
I admire her because of how well she concentrates in her work. I think that she will be a great queen for Sweden one day.
totaly agree withe you ....

I've been noticing this in the gossip magazines. Maxima and Letizia are a huge topic there.
It might be the Cinderella-thing but also the fact that the news we get from Sweden aren't exactly anything new. Sophia had this nice post on her blog about it. It's the same all the time: Birthdays, Noble Prize, National Day, and so on. No spontaneous photoshootings anymore or anything like that. And of course, no little children.
Personally, I highly doubt, Victoria is a boring person. I'd love to have a talk over dinner with her, hehe. ;-)

Personally, I highly doubt, Victoria is a boring person. I'd love to have a talk over dinner with her, hehe. ;-)

Me too!

You know, for all the talk of her fashion choices, I think that they have been improving over recent months.
I feel that a married, more interestingly dressing, mother Victoria would be a completely different prospect, attentionwise.

Crownprincess Victoria is very radiant in interviews, she is not at all boring. Over the years, some interviews with her and sometimes her siblings and rest of the family has been shown on TV, and she definately is not boring.

But other Crownprincesses come off as more interresting though, and I think it has to do with the clothes. I've seen interviews with CP Mary, and even though her clothes are nicer than Victorias (imo), Victorias personality beat Marys big time. In interviews I feel Mary is still in a shell, and need to get out there. Her face look stiff, and I always think that she goes into the role as CP. No wonder maybe, she is married into that role, Victoria has been a CP for years.

With Victoria it is different. She is a Crownprincess, all the way, no matter what occation it is.

But they both seem nice though.

IMO Victoria is not boring but attracts less attention because she is the heiress anyay - groomed for the job all her life, no surprises - and did not marry into royalty as consort - leading the supporting life struggling to get substance into it and always on the verge of being reduced to looks. Plus she does a great job, very natural, very unagitated. No scandals but strong focus on work. Victoria is as much boring as her peers Frederik, Haakon, Felipe or WA. The poor guy who will get all the attention for the wrong reasons like the MMs, Letizias or Marys of this world will be her future husband, be it Daniel W or not.

Crownprincess Victoria is very radiant in interviews, she is not at all boring. Over the years, some interviews with her and sometimes her siblings and rest of the family has been shown on TV, and she definately is not boring.

But other Crownprincesses come off as more interresting though, and I think it has to do with the clothes. I've seen interviews with CP Mary, and even though her clothes are nicer than Victorias (imo), Victorias personality beat Marys big time. In interviews I feel Mary is still in a shell, and need to get out there. Her face look stiff, and I always think that she goes into the role as CP. No wonder maybe, she is married into that role, Victoria has been a CP for years.

With Victoria it is different. She is a Crownprincess, all the way, no matter what occation it is.

But they both seem nice though.
Hm, maybe the problem simply is, that I´ve read and watched way too many of them (probably all in the past 6 years)
But in spite of funny elements (little jokes like "Do you have a chinese man for me"...on the question of an possible engagement at the Paralympics past September) I find her interviews incredibly boring and predictable. She is presenting herself as mamma´s and pappa´s little daughter...and she is trying to avoid controversial stuff (unlike her father...who had just dropped a clanger a couple of days ago...) so that all she says has no point.
Her duties are varied, which is on the one hand a wise strategy, but on the other hand, you don´t get the feeling, she is really getting involved into something...unlike e.g. Crown Prince Willem Alexander with water, or Crown Prince Philippe with trade or Crown Prince Haakon with AIDS.

She is now of an age...where the "child" should be exchanged for a "stateswoman"

But then again...ppl love her droll way...and it´s easier to do a few duties, to grin...and then to go home again, instead of getting really involved. Ppl eat the tale of the hard-working princess anyway...

I don't know why anyone would choose to describe her as boring. Perhaps steady and dependable is a better choice.

Maybe people would prefer that she join the circus and marry an acrobat?

I would not call Victoria "boring"...I think she lacks "glamour" when compared to other current Crown Princesses out there. But Victoria is the only one who will be a sovereign, all the others will only be consorts and I feel there is a huge difference.

Of course all strive their best to represent their countries, but Victoria has a bigger task at hand. She has to learn all the inner workings of her country's government and as a result how to rule when the day comes. In addition, she has her charitable duties. I think she does her current duties with an enormous amount of professionalism. She is always working to further educate herself in preparation for her future role. I wonder if we sometimes think she is boring because she is in a role that none of the other CPs are in and thus it is hard to compare them. We often see her doing the same things because that is the role she has carved out for herself until it changes with marriage and motherhood.

I think that, as a result of everything she has on her plate, she often sticks with a tried and true style simply because she hasn't a lot of free time. I'm would speculate that what free time she has, she probably wants to decompress, relax and spend time with friends and family, away from the trappings of state.

Wasn't that the way it used to be? Princesses were seen on special occasions including the engagement announcement, wedding day and when their babies arrived.
During the last years Princesses became celebrities and those who were born to the position and do not invite controversy are considered boring.
JMHO

I find her style has improved a LOT. But I agree with Lena, maybe she should find a special interest that she works more in, like Madeleine works for children and the king promotes environmental issues. Or does she already do that and I just didn't notice?

I second your post, Parrothead. :flowers:

Being a CP is not all about glamour, but of course the princesses who dress up and come along as very beautiful, steal the attention. I am also interresten in fashion and I have to admit that CP Victoria is not the first one to catch my interrest in the fashion department, but I'm also interrested in royal people's personality. Since none of us are royals (I presume), I think noone is actually capable to judge. We don't know all the effort and job they do behind the scenes. Yes they do have help, but they do a lot themselves too.

She is not boring ... i think she is one of the most lovely princesses ...

I've always been aware of Victoria but as I'm not as interested in the Swedish Royal Family I have never really "followed" her activities with much interest. I don't think Victoria is boring, in many ways she is an incredibly interesting individual when you consider her strength in overcoming anorexia. However, I think she is often overlooked by the press for several reasons.

Firstly the fact that unlike her siblings she appears to be much more serious means that she is more likely to be perceived as "dull". Madeleine and Carl-Philip have a much easier lifestyle, fewer duties, less speculation etc and are therefore able to lead much more carefree lives.

Secondly, she is often portrayed as the less attractive princess because Madeleine seems to epitomise a Barbie doll, and not in a good way imo! I've always thought Victoria had a much more attractive face but becasue she is not as "glamorous" as her sister she is overlooked by the press.

Thirdly I think the Swedish court seems to want to deliberately downplay her youth and looks so that she is not seen as attractive woman but a future queen. Unlike the other CP's of Europe who are simply consorts she is going to be the head of her country in her own right. I think people want her to be seen to be serious, hard-working and dedicated and not simply a clotheshorse, as the other CP's are sometimes portrayed to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom