Is Victoria Boring?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Victoria is not boring. It is just her looks, personality and role in life that makes it seem so.

Victoria is not glamorous like the other Crown-Princesses of Europe because, unlike them, she does not need to be a fashion-stakes winner to get attention. The other Crown Princesses are on a journey to define what they want to do with their Royal life whereas it is all pre-determined for Victoria. Victoria has a plain dress- sennse to go along with her plain looks. The Crown Princes married for love but all of their wives are really, really beautiful (not so much in Mette-Marit's case but even she has a certain look). Victoria does not compare. She is the least clasically attractive of her siblings. The other CP'ss work on their looks because they want to remain in the public eye- something Victoria does not need to do.

Lastly, I agree with whovever wrote in this thread that she lives a sheltered life. She is treated like Daddy's little girl whom he refuses to let grow-up and become independent. And that has a lot of effect on her personality.

I don't think Victoria is boring at all and agree with many previous posts about the fact that she hasn't had a life-changing situation by marrying in to royalty. We've all grown up knowing her in a sense and her story hasn't been a dramatic commoner to royalty one. Her sense of style has developed over many years rather than "right, now you're a princess you must dress differently so no more Primark for you!". Maybe in terms of whether she is boring or not, the comparison should be made with the crown princes rather than their wives!

Victoria has a plain dress- sennse to go along with her plain looks. The Crown Princes married for love but all of their wives are really, really beautiful (not so much in Mette-Marit's case but even she has a certain look). Victoria does not compare. She is the least clasically attractive of her siblings.

I don't actually think Victoria is exactly plain, but I agree with you that she's not as classically beautiful as her siblings. What she has, I think, is a strong face - I've seen pictures of her that are rather striking. It's just that she isn't so stylish in the fashion department. She could look very attractive with the correct styling but she doesn't seem to bother. She's more duty conscious than fashion conscious.

As others have pointed out, and I agree, the lack of a Cinderella-story makes her less interesting to the press.

In the end, I think it really boils down to Victoria doing too good a job as CP. She does what she's expected to do, doesn't cause any controversies, doesn't commit any major boo-boos. She just keeps her head down and does her job as required - the same way any properly competent professional would get their job done. This makes her uninteresting to the salacious press media, but imho it makes her an excellent CP.

I'm pretty sure her personality and brain are not boring! I would love to sit next to her at dinner and have a nice chat with her. I get the impression she's the sort of person who is serious about what they do, but also have a great sense of humour.

IThink about Queen Elizabeth. She's never been considered a major fashion plate, but she always looks exactly right for her role and image.
Excuse me? From the time that Crown Princess Elizabeth wash "out" her wardrobe was to drool over. Admittedly Margaret was more beautiful and was seen out and about "Clubbing" in tiara's and diamonds but Elizabeth's gowns were wonderful. She realy was the "quintessential" Crown Princess!

Victoria's continued appearance at events with her hair yanked back in one of the worlds least attractive ponytails does her no favours. It seems that the question of "Is Victoria Boring?" is more and more changing to "Is Victoria Bored?"

I don't think she is boring at all. I don't follow the SRF that much but from what I see I am quite impressed by Victoria. She seems quite professional and has a friendly attitude.
One thing I don't understand. That people really think that she is the least classical attractive of het siblings. Do you really find Madeleine more attractive??? Unbelievable. She looks like a barbie-doll, and I know that a lot of women find Carl-phillip is good looking but he not a classic beauty. Come on..

. . . . . One thing I don't understand. That people really think that she is the least classical attractive of het siblings.
Unfortunately the only time she consistantly dresses well is for a Gala event. I think her penchant for the "little girl" thing . . . . . extraordinary lapses into schoolgirl dress or hair. Beside Madeleine, who is usually "dressed to kill" albeit a killer Barbie, she often comes off looking almost gauche! :eek:

During the last years Princesses became celebrities and those who were born to the position and do not invite controversy are considered boring.
JMHO

Couldn't agree more. Victoria seems to be a sensible and down to earth person, who has taken her unique position seriously. She has worked hard, she has openly explained her problems related to reading disorder. She is a warm, natural person without pretence. I find her very sympathetic and interesting. :princess3:

One thing I don't understand. That people really think that she is the least classical attractive of het siblings. Do you really find Madeleine more attractive??? Unbelievable. She looks like a barbie-doll, and I know that a lot of women find Carl-phillip is good looking but he not a classic beauty. Come on..

I always thought Madeleine looked common, beautiful, but very common. I've seen so many people that look like Madeleine that (to me at least) its not anything jaw droping. I don't mean for it taken as a mark against her, its just 'a dime a dozen' comes to mind. It's like being a nice shiny apple, wonderful on its own, but when surrounded by other just as equal nice apple you wont notice it so much, but if another fruit is added to the line up... And I never got the whole super fashionable labe on her, she looks nice but nothing to say "I'm very fashionable", I think it has to do with the old party girl label then anything else. (You will have to exuse the fruit talk, its breakfest time, only to find out I waited a little to long to go food shopping, and there is no breakfest food whats so ever in any forum in the house -or even somethign that could pass as one- I would kill for some orange juice or a banana right now,).
I don't think Victoria is a 'classical' beauty, but she is very much an attractive person, just not a super fashionable person. Which isn't the end of the world, there are many people with down right horrible fashion taste, so I dont see it as a negative. She has a neat appearance, its not like she shows up with stains and rips in her clothes, or extreamly wrinkled clothes. with no huge wardrobe malfunctin.I'm sure she puts some effort into her apperance, just not as much as most. I think in her case its more of she prefers not to be the center of attention (fashion wise), she gets enough of that as is. Since she was born into it there is no major transformation for to undergo, so no make over. While other crown princesses feel more pressure to be fashionable to fit the model of what others think and execpets a crown princess looks like. Like with Mary, she had a fashion assiant doesn't she? So of course she will always look nice, so fi anything when she doesn't look good thats more of a double negative on her because she has help with her look. And as far as I know (and I could be very well be wrong) Victoria doesn't, aside for hairstyist for galas.

I really don't know what to make of Victoria these days. Her latest appearance are disasters. Her hair is just plain unkept and I don't think she is even bothering to wear any makeup at all.

I know she is not a "married into the job" Crown Princess but lately it seems she doesn't care much about how she looks. It's sort of "I'm a princess. Having to bother about 'fashion' is beneath my dignity".

She seems to have forgotten that for every appearance she makes there are dozens if not hundreds of people who have done their best to make her visit "Special". A lot of them have brought new outfits, suits, hats, had their hair and maybe even their nails done . . . . just to look good for their Crown Princess and she arrives looking like she got dressed in a hurry and it's just too bad about the hair because really "I do this every day and it's all so terribly ho hum!

She needs to remember that it really isn't "all about her", it's all about her and her people!

Last edited:
the subject seems to get stuck on the looks and fashio issue

so here is a few events
from ibl

http://www.iblbildarkiv.net/FotoWeb...E48CA301E41348A733CB14D7C55A7F85F095038EE545C

http://www.iblbildarkiv.net/FotoWeb...54EC273488A6A886C58B57EEB1F801B2B920DAE7E7D00

http://www.iblbildarkiv.net/FotoWeb...20F49939373E3B8C5E70E53170B3B2D9E3439FBBF4699

http://www.iblbildarkiv.net/FotoWeb...54EC273488A6A886C58B57EEB1F801B2B920DAE7E7D00

http://www.iblbildarkiv.net/FotoWeb...E48CA301E41348A733CB14D7C55A7F85F095038EE545C

http://www.iblbildarkiv.net/FotoWeb...20F49939373E3B8C5E70E53170B3B2D9E3439FBBF4699

and if we goo to the hair, many of you and my self think the pony tail is a bit nja.
but i also know that some type of hair is not easy to have a day time work haristyle.. if you know what i mean.

is ther any crown princess out there that has victorias long hair and i think thick hair and you just love the hairsyles she has,

maybe she can have her hair like this more often

I must say that i do not think that the crown princess i boring........

Last edited by a moderator:
:previous: Josefine thank you so much for the photos. You really have caught Victoria at her best. Polished, immaculate and with that megawatt smile that is uniquely hers. In your "hair" pictures the up-dos have a softer wave around her face and are really great.

It's a shame that all these pictures merely counterpoint her other less impressive appearances. It is almost like she has "lost heart" lately and it is more easily seen with her dramatic swings in appearance.

I do not think she is boring, I think she and her fellow (male) heirs are under incredible pressure to perform. It's easier for the men, a suit is a suit and someone else is pressing them and shining their shoes. For her, as with those former Crown Princesses Elizabeth and Margrethe, she is defined by her "look". Happy, sad, euphoric, melancholic, grief-stricken, they are all defined by how she presents herself and I think she is really feeling the pressure and perhaps she is a little bored by the lack of spontaneity in her life.

On a practical level I would suggest she takes someone to help with her hair etc. when she is abroad representing her country. It is not an extravagance but rather a necessity. It's OK for the guys to run a comb through their hair but it's another thing for her to pull hers back in a $1.99 hair clip!

I am reminded of a friend from high school who envied our head cheerleader and homecoming queen (who met the image of "beautiful" that the media, fashion mags, etc. tells us is the desirable one - in fact she looked like a heavier Michelle Pfeiffer or thinner, less tan Princess Madeleine). I told my friend that while the cheerleader was beautiful, SHE was the plain one because she always looked the same - every day was full-on glamour. For special events, the homecoming queen was nothing special to look at because THAT was how she always looked.

While I agree that a little more attention and variety in her daytime hair styling and accessories would go a long way in quieting her detractors, I feel that Victoria would not be able to create the buzz that seems to regularly surround her at special events (Nobel, weddings, state visit galas) if she was always primped and polished. At those events, she is special and deserves the attention. At other events, I think she believes that the event or subject is special and prefers for the focus to be on that rather than on the name of the designer of her shoes, clothing, or accessories.

I think it is unfair to equate Victoria's features and bone structure with a lack of beauty. Without some extensive surgery, she couldn't change these things (and I personally don't think they are unattractive). Yes she has a strong chin (which she got from a woman that is regularly referred to as beautiful) and her features are atypical of "mainstream beauty", but I think that is why she is beautiful. Like others have posted, she impresses more with her character, integrity, and devotion to duty rather than her appearance. I agree that this can be taken too far in the other direction. While the Princess Royal's work ethic is admirable, her beady eyes, pointy nose, and washed-out coloring could never be described as attractive. I find her manner more disrespectful of the public because we have the photos to prove that she can be very attractive, she just chooses to make no effort. IMO this is almost a distraction from the event or subject she is attending. She could do well to remember the exchange between a regular man in war-torn England who addressed the Queen Mum, remarking about how dressed up she was to walk around the remains of a bombed neighborhood. Her Majesty's response (paraphrased): "Well if you were coming to see me, wouldn't you put on your best?"

Finally, I think in terms of what example is provided to our daughters, granddaughters, nieces, and all young women. I believe that in the current crown-prince generation, we have plenty of things to criticize and admire, but overall I find them to be appropriate for the roles they fill. In the long run, however, I would prefer my daughter or niece to aspire to be like Victoria.

I feel that Victoria would not be able to create the buzz that seems to regularly surround her at special events (Nobel, weddings, state visit galas) if she was always primped and polished.

Good point. We wouldn't go so 'wow' over her good appearances if she always looked fantastic. However. It's not asking too much for her to do her hair neatly when she does her regular events. I wouldn't want her to turn into one of those frou-frou fashion plate types, but neat hair is a must! As you said, it seems somewhat disrespectful to all those people who turned out just to see her when she didn't even bother to do her hair nicely (so it seems).

I think it is unfair to equate Victoria's features and bone structure with a lack of beauty. Without some extensive surgery, she couldn't change these things (and I personally don't think they are unattractive). Yes she has a strong chin (which she got from a woman that is regularly referred to as beautiful) and her features are atypical of "mainstream beauty", but I think that is why she is beautiful.

Yes! My thoughts exactly. She has a face which is not classically beautiful and this is actually part of her appeal. Women with perfect classical features often appear quite common whereas a woman with non-classical features, being more unusual, will actually look more striking. This is true of a lot of very beautiful women - e.g. Sophia Loren, who also has a strong chin, quite squarish. This is normally considered unattractive in a woman but Sophia Loren is one of the all-time most beautiful women in the world. Victoria could be really beautiful, but it takes work and unfortunately she appears unwilling to make that little bit of effort consistently.

In the long run, however, I would prefer my daughter or niece to aspire to be like Victoria.

Yes absolutely. Victoria gets judged on her appearance in a way a man wouldn't but regardless of all that she is still doing an excellent job. She's setting a great example for girls imho - just not in the hairspray department. :D

Is Victoria boring? Not at all. She is just smart, very educated, cultured young woman. She seems polite and really sweet. IMO it all makes her exceptional not boring.:)

Well said.
And she is blessed with striking features. I hate to compare but although Madeleine is very pretty, Victoria is more attractive in my opinion, simply because of her recognizable and more unique face.

:previous: I have no problems with her face, bone structure etc. She will still have great bones when she is old and grey while those who have had serious "work" done will have to keep it up until they are old, not grey of course, but the eyebrows disappearing into their hairlines a la Joan Rivers is a bit of a worry. Her eyes are magnificent and her smile is fabulous, megawatt fabulous in fact.

I just wish she would pay a little more attention to her grooming. Her hair is so full and lustrous as to incite dire "hair" envy and it makes me wince every time I see it scraped back into one of her inimitable "ponytails".

A litlle make-up and a slightly softer wave around her face would just make her appear somewhat less severe, not less professional, and certainly not CP Barbie Doll material. :flowers:

I like Victoria. She seems intelligent, a sensitive soul.
I never really look at her clothes, she is a different body type to me so I don't ever think about that.
I just see her soulful eyes. She looks like a kind hearted woman. Bless her.

It seems that the question of "Is Victoria Boring?" is more and more changing to "Is Victoria Bored?"
This is a really good point. I wonder, would she change anything in her life, if she was allowed to?

The pictures prove the point- It is not that Victoria cannot look good it is a lack of effort most of the time that gets amazing. If the married into it Crown Princesses have stylists- there is no reason why the born a royal heiress (or displaced a baby brother royal heiress) cannot have one.

Part of the job of the spouse is to bring glamour and attention to the Couple and lets face it Daniel is not going to be able to do that. So, she will have to step up and be glamorous herself.

BTW, I do agree that she seems to be in a rut of some sort- seems bored with her life.

BTW, I do agree that she seems to be in a rut of some sort- seems bored with her life.

Since lets say five years I am a big fan of Scandinavia, especially Sweden. So I have an eye on all debates and discussions about Scandinavia, especially the royal ones.

Crown Princess Victoria seems to be bored with her life or she seems to be in a rut of some sort - sorry, but thats a big nonsens. She has such a wide range of activities so its unimaginable to see some sort of rut. Neither seems she be bored with her life. Look at all those pictures like Tadj mahal in India, Sicily, or other pictures.

What she seems to be in is a line of some sort, the line of succession. Well, everything takes time.

How is it, that princesses like Letizia or Mary get so much more attention, while Victoria, as future heir, is getting so little on this board. As it seems one can quarrel about Mary&Letizia&Maxima for hours, while the comments on Victoria seems to be "She looks nice"..."She is doing a great job"...but as it seems not many wanna deal with her in a deeper way.
Just my feeling? If not, why is that so?

I agree with what you say. I believe it is down partly to her fashion sense, she doesn't have that sense or era of noticablity. Also i don't here alot about Victoria, what she does or where she is. I here alot more about Mary, Letizia, Maxima and Mathilde. With Victoria there is not much to argue, with the others you have their fashion sense, their engagaments.

I think it also helps that these princesses were not born into royalty, they are not heirs. That gives them a sense of mysterious, we can talk about backgrounds, their familys and so on. Whereas Victoria was born to be and heir, we know her family where she grew up and so forth.

It also helps that Mary, Maxima, Letizia and Mathilde have children which in my opinion gives us a new angle to discuss Motherhood.

We cannot comment on Victorias personality but I think what we see of her out in the world, is slighty boring she needs to make herself noticed. Her brother is known for his military career, Madeline is known for her party life and Victoria is known in my opninion for being the heir. She hasn't done anything so far for us to go wow victoria.

x

(my opinion only)...I think CP Victoria is in a rather difficult "holding" pattern. Her family and her countrymen do not seem overly thrilled with her choice of Daniel, and she has been brought up to always do what is best for her family and country, now this choice of hers might be weighing on her, but I also think she can be rather stubborn when she does make up her mind.
In other words she is being pulled in two directions (inside her mind)

I don't follow the Swedish royals enough to offer a very informed opinion on whether or not Victoria is boring, however, I do see everyone's points about the ponytail and the fact that, while she's not unattractive, she's not as beautiful as Mary, Letizia, etc.

I'm curious, though, whether these sorts of "is she too boring" questions were raised about Crown Princess Margrethe in the 1960s? In old photos I've seen, she always has her hair pinned up and I don't think she was ever a stunning beauty--I think Victoria is prettier than Margrethe ever was. However, I've always had the impression that Margrethe has been very popular her whole life. Were people criticizing her in the same way people are criticizing Victoria? And if not, why not? Of course, by the time she was Victoria's age, she was married with children, which I think does make a difference, but there still would have been a significant amount of time in her early 20's when she would have been in Victoria's situation.

I have been thinking about this for a while. I'm nowhere near Sweden so I'm not sure about the media coverage there. For what I've seen she doesn't recieve as much press coverage as the other Crown Princesses. But as it had been said before, she is the heir.

And I stopped to wonder if she recieves the same coverage than her fellow monarchs to be. I don't see her as much as Felipe, Charles or Willem but I do see her much than I see Hakoon. So I came to the conclusion that she is in between.

IMO and of course I'm no royal expert or anything like that, she has the chance to be unique yet she is reluctant to do it. She is not living the Cinderella story, she is not the Diana of the new millenium. She is the heir, but she refuses to shine as it. The *girl disguise* suits her well, but at 32 she is not a girl anymore. She should look every inch a heir, not hide behind glasses and pony tails, cause we know she can... just look at that portait in the royal family's website or the picture from vogue. That would be a start

Personality wise... she strikes me as many you have said, daddy's little girl. Re-reading the thread, I have seen that she gives the impression of warm and nice, but again not an heir. Also... I don't think she is very active either. Don't take me wrong, I like her

About the Daniel situation... well that is more of this girlish behaivor of her,it is in her hands to solve it, and she is not the first heir of these days to date a not so good choice, look at Felipe or Hakoon and how well it has turned to them.Of course they took risks. Victoria doesn't.

Finally answering the thread's question. Yes I found her boring, but I don't think she should be, she has everything to be great. An appealing look, a unique position in the world and a natural warmth.

avrilo, I couldn't agree more! I do think she is bouring, but I gress that is just who she is.

Well folks I guess we just got our answer. Is Victoria Boring? NO she has been preoccupied. I can't imagine how difficult it has been for her to know she is getting engaged, know she is getting married, and not be able to share it with anyone, or let on to anyone by a loving look or gesture that her life is to change.

Worse, I think that in every public engagement she has been mentally "seeing" Daniel with her, imagining how it will be to have someone with her in the spotlight. Wondering how it will feel to finally have someone of her own to share the load, and probably worrying about how everyone is going to take the news because, like Kate Middleton to Prince William, Daniel is lauded in some places and loathed in others.

Anyway it is going to be a great year in the run up to the wedding!

Well folks I guess we just got our answer. Is Victoria Boring? NO she has been preoccupied. I can't imagine how difficult it has been for her to know she is getting engaged, know she is getting married, and not be able to share it with anyone, or let on to anyone by a loving look or gesture that her life is to change.

Worse, I think that in every public engagement she has been mentally "seeing" Daniel with her, imagining how it will be to have someone with her in the spotlight. Wondering how it will feel to finally have someone of her own to share the load, and probably worrying about how everyone is going to take the news because, like Kate Middleton to Prince William, Daniel is lauded in some places and loathed in others.

Anyway it is going to be a great year in the run up to the wedding!

I completely agree with you Marg. I think now that Victoria will be discussed more here and in the media the perspective that she is somehow boring will diminish and we will find she is far from being a boring person. Oddly, I do find myself thinking what a relief it will be to hear more about Victoria than say Maxima or Mary for a change as that does become boring sometimes!

Serious obligation

How is it, that princesses like Letizia or Mary get so much more attention, while Victoria, as future heir, is getting so little on this board. As it seems one can quarrel about Mary&Letizia&Maxima for hours, while the comments on Victoria seems to be "She looks nice"..."She is doing a great job"...but as it seems not many wanna deal with her in a deeper way.
Just my feeling? If not, why is that so?

:-(lol)

Future Queen Victoria does not have the freedom we have as her duties are historic and relevant to the future of a Kingdom that has been around a very long time.

Her responsibilities are immense. Such a responsibility must be taken seriously.

So she is not boring just mature in her obligation to her family.

I think our perception of Victoria has been coloured by the seemingly childlike little girl/dutiful daughter versus elegant Victoria, the woman on Daniel's arm. I think we have all just gotten into a rut of the more things (years?) change, the more they stayed the same.

Yesterday we all got to move on, for better or worse, seeing Victoria as her own woman. And that woman is engaged to and will marry Daniel, her future Consort.

Heady stuff indeed! :flowers:

Just a thought away

Princess Victoria's family will always be just a thought away.

Once 2011 has passed we can get back to building happiness via innovative and peaceful thoughts that enhance peace.

Scandinavians have shared much to build a good world with many kind people. Perhaps one of many reasons Daniel has chosen Princess Victoria for his bride. In marriage we all trade some of our freedom this is a choice meant to be pleasant ... bliss.

War brings out the worst in mankind and causes losses far beyond measure. War is a consequence peace is a choice.

Encourage peace and discourage war is a good choice.

Peace,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom