The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 05:04 AM
Nobility

Crownprincess Victoria is very radiant in interviews, she is not at all boring. Over the years, some interviews with her and sometimes her siblings and rest of the family has been shown on TV, and she definately is not boring.

But other Crownprincesses come off as more interresting though, and I think it has to do with the clothes. I've seen interviews with CP Mary, and even though her clothes are nicer than Victorias (imo), Victorias personality beat Marys big time. In interviews I feel Mary is still in a shell, and need to get out there. Her face look stiff, and I always think that she goes into the role as CP. No wonder maybe, she is married into that role, Victoria has been a CP for years.

With Victoria it is different. She is a Crownprincess, all the way, no matter what occation it is.

But they both seem nice though.

Old 10-20-2008, 05:09 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

IMO Victoria is not boring but attracts less attention because she is the heiress anyay - groomed for the job all her life, no surprises - and did not marry into royalty as consort - leading the supporting life struggling to get substance into it and always on the verge of being reduced to looks. Plus she does a great job, very natural, very unagitated. No scandals but strong focus on work. Victoria is as much boring as her peers Frederik, Haakon, Felipe or WA. The poor guy who will get all the attention for the wrong reasons like the MMs, Letizias or Marys of this world will be her future husband, be it Daniel W or not.

Old 10-20-2008, 02:56 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurentienne View Post
Crownprincess Victoria is very radiant in interviews, she is not at all boring. Over the years, some interviews with her and sometimes her siblings and rest of the family has been shown on TV, and she definately is not boring.

But other Crownprincesses come off as more interresting though, and I think it has to do with the clothes. I've seen interviews with CP Mary, and even though her clothes are nicer than Victorias (imo), Victorias personality beat Marys big time. In interviews I feel Mary is still in a shell, and need to get out there. Her face look stiff, and I always think that she goes into the role as CP. No wonder maybe, she is married into that role, Victoria has been a CP for years.

With Victoria it is different. She is a Crownprincess, all the way, no matter what occation it is.

But they both seem nice though.
Hm, maybe the problem simply is, that I´ve read and watched way too many of them (probably all in the past 6 years)
But in spite of funny elements (little jokes like "Do you have a chinese man for me"...on the question of an possible engagement at the Paralympics past September) I find her interviews incredibly boring and predictable. She is presenting herself as mamma´s and pappa´s little daughter...and she is trying to avoid controversial stuff (unlike her father...who had just dropped a clanger a couple of days ago...) so that all she says has no point.
Her duties are varied, which is on the one hand a wise strategy, but on the other hand, you don´t get the feeling, she is really getting involved into something...unlike e.g. Crown Prince Willem Alexander with water, or Crown Prince Philippe with trade or Crown Prince Haakon with AIDS.

She is now of an age...where the "child" should be exchanged for a "stateswoman"

But then again...ppl love her droll way...and it´s easier to do a few duties, to grin...and then to go home again, instead of getting really involved. Ppl eat the tale of the hard-working princess anyway...
Old 10-21-2008, 02:46 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

I don't know why anyone would choose to describe her as boring. Perhaps steady and dependable is a better choice.

Maybe people would prefer that she join the circus and marry an acrobat?
Old 10-21-2008, 02:59 PM
Aristocracy

I would not call Victoria "boring"...I think she lacks "glamour" when compared to other current Crown Princesses out there. But Victoria is the only one who will be a sovereign, all the others will only be consorts and I feel there is a huge difference.

Of course all strive their best to represent their countries, but Victoria has a bigger task at hand. She has to learn all the inner workings of her country's government and as a result how to rule when the day comes. In addition, she has her charitable duties. I think she does her current duties with an enormous amount of professionalism. She is always working to further educate herself in preparation for her future role. I wonder if we sometimes think she is boring because she is in a role that none of the other CPs are in and thus it is hard to compare them. We often see her doing the same things because that is the role she has carved out for herself until it changes with marriage and motherhood.

I think that, as a result of everything she has on her plate, she often sticks with a tried and true style simply because she hasn't a lot of free time. I'm would speculate that what free time she has, she probably wants to decompress, relax and spend time with friends and family, away from the trappings of state.
Old 10-21-2008, 03:03 PM
Heir Presumptive

Wasn't that the way it used to be? Princesses were seen on special occasions including the engagement announcement, wedding day and when their babies arrived.
During the last years Princesses became celebrities and those who were born to the position and do not invite controversy are considered boring.
JMHO
Old 10-21-2008, 03:52 PM
Nobility

I find her style has improved a LOT. But I agree with Lena, maybe she should find a special interest that she works more in, like Madeleine works for children and the king promotes environmental issues. Or does she already do that and I just didn't notice?
Whatever comes, she said, cannot alter one thing. If I am a princess in rags and tatters, I can be a princess inside. It would be easy to be a princess if I were dressed in cloth of gold, but it is a great deal more of a triumpf to be one all the time when no one knows it. (F.Hogdson Burnett)
Old 10-21-2008, 06:03 PM
Nobility

I second your post, Parrothead.

Being a CP is not all about glamour, but of course the princesses who dress up and come along as very beautiful, steal the attention. I am also interresten in fashion and I have to admit that CP Victoria is not the first one to catch my interrest in the fashion department, but I'm also interrested in royal people's personality. Since none of us are royals (I presume), I think noone is actually capable to judge. We don't know all the effort and job they do behind the scenes. Yes they do have help, but they do a lot themselves too.
Old 10-22-2008, 03:11 AM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

She is not boring ... i think she is one of the most lovely princesses ...
Old 10-23-2008, 06:55 AM
Heir Apparent

I've always been aware of Victoria but as I'm not as interested in the Swedish Royal Family I have never really "followed" her activities with much interest. I don't think Victoria is boring, in many ways she is an incredibly interesting individual when you consider her strength in overcoming anorexia. However, I think she is often overlooked by the press for several reasons.

Firstly the fact that unlike her siblings she appears to be much more serious means that she is more likely to be perceived as "dull". Madeleine and Carl-Philip have a much easier lifestyle, fewer duties, less speculation etc and are therefore able to lead much more carefree lives.

Secondly, she is often portrayed as the less attractive princess because Madeleine seems to epitomise a Barbie doll, and not in a good way imo! I've always thought Victoria had a much more attractive face but becasue she is not as "glamorous" as her sister she is overlooked by the press.

Thirdly I think the Swedish court seems to want to deliberately downplay her youth and looks so that she is not seen as attractive woman but a future queen. Unlike the other CP's of Europe who are simply consorts she is going to be the head of her country in her own right. I think people want her to be seen to be serious, hard-working and dedicated and not simply a clotheshorse, as the other CP's are sometimes portrayed to be.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:32 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odette View Post
Wasn't that the way it used to be? Princesses were seen on special occasions including the engagement announcement, wedding day and when their babies arrived.
During the last years Princesses became celebrities and those who were born to the position and do not invite controversy are considered boring.
JMHO
I agree, all this "celebrity princesses" started big time with Diana. Victoria doesn't have to play the part of anything -- she is the future sovereign of a country and only her death will change. She knows her place and her need project a proper dignified appearance. Incredibly boring---I don't think so, she won't have the husband who will rule and just be along for the ride to smile and have people critique her clothes, weight or make-up -- she will be Sweden's symbol and must give her country stability. Think of a young Queen Elizabeth II. She couldn't have a better example to follow than that great lady and how she has kept her country's admiration through a lot of awful headlines. Besides, no one knows how Victoria is behind closed doors -- they say that Elizabeth II is quite the mimic and fun instigator in private.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:30 AM
Heir Apparent

Well I think it's everything:
Her fashion senses ( ussualy anyone talks about recycling, about her brands,if it is new or old, her bags, her make up (does she use any??)her jelwerry etc etc) the fact that she has born a Princess and doesn't need to learn anything, the fact that she wasn't a communer that becomes a Princess, the fact that she hasn't any children, and the fact that she doesn't look like a celebrity, not very glamorous, doesn't buy expensive clothes too mucht However I think that she is improving over recent months, lets hope she is!
Old 10-23-2008, 11:44 AM
Aristocracy

Firstly, she's not married or engaging in any promiscuous behaviour. She's had the same boyfriend for a number of years and it's hard to pull up dirt on any of them. Also, she doesn't roam in the European social circles (like the Casiraghis) and she much prefers to dress more simply and not have too much makeup or go partying. It's like why in Hollywood some actresses get more attention in the tabloids than the others, even if the amount and recognition of work they did is similar.
Old 10-23-2008, 01:25 PM
Heir Presumptive

She looked so sweet on that photo infront of the Taj Mahal.!
We know she is dyslexic but I wonder how much fun she may be behind closed doors with her friends away from the cameras.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:05 PM
Heir Presumptive

Victoria is pretty, attractive, friendly, engaging, does her duties very well. Among the young royals, she is not the best dresser, certainly not the worst either, rather in the middle. Unfortunately (or fortunately) for her, she is in a family crowded with a sexy Barbie doll sister and a mother in her 60s still thinks she is 30 something, thus Victoria's moderate style became less of the media focus compared some other CPsses in their countries. For the straight up comparisons with the other princess consorts, she is certainly not any less interesting than any of them IMO.
Old 11-04-2008, 09:05 AM
Aristocracy

I don't think she is boring but I think she is much less radiant and much more bated than her sister. I think that it may be caused by her personality or her important role. Victoria don't put many attentiveness on her dresses but she is 100% dedicateed onself to her role and duties. And I must add that being future Queen she just can't allow herself all those attention catching ways.
Old 11-08-2008, 09:50 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnaK View Post
Unfortunately (or fortunately) for her, she is in a family crowded with a sexy Barbie doll sister and a mother in her 60s still thinks she is 30 something,
W'hoa, that's quite a hard thing to say. I see your barbie-point, but what about Silvia? I think she dresses quite appropriately.
But I also think Victoria very often dresses very nicely. And for me it's easier to get a glimpse of the person Victoria is without all the glitter and clothes. With Madeleine, I feel you never really know what she is like because either one talks about her clothes and style or she gives statements that mostly are only "det var roligt".
Whatever comes, she said, cannot alter one thing. If I am a princess in rags and tatters, I can be a princess inside. It would be easy to be a princess if I were dressed in cloth of gold, but it is a great deal more of a triumpf to be one all the time when no one knows it. (F.Hogdson Burnett)
Old 11-08-2008, 10:22 PM
Heir Apparent

Well, Silvia´s "facial dress" should say 3X, I guess :P

I find actually Victoria harder to read than Madeleine. Ok, Madeleine is performing very little duties. But if she gets e.g. interviewed, she has much more to say than Victoria, who is practically always repeating phrases.
And also her relationship seems clearer. She seems much more focused these days, than Victoria, who is IMO not 100% dedicated these days...
Old 11-09-2008, 05:57 AM
Heir Apparent

I don't think it is a case of Victoria being boring, rather that she is unwed and living with Mummy, and more importantly Daddy that is the problem.

The King is just that, The King! And Victoria is reluctantly his heir but, by keeping her under employed and under exposed he doesn't really have to deal with the situation. He doesn't have to say to the Country, let alone the World, that here is an heir worthy to suceed him.

Victoria's duties, in the main, seem to be much the same as the other Crown Princesses, decorative and supportive of the Monarch, and in every other case, the heir.

I think that is why Victoria scrapes her hair back into a less than attractive ponytail, slaps on that hard hat and climbs on to all sorts of large machinery . . . she wants her country and the world to see that she is a Princess by blood and as worthy as any of her Crown Princely peers. She makes her obligatry annual "Nobel" appearance, I think just to remind everyone how lovely she really is, and wow does she ever scrub up well but, for the rest of the time she refuses to be defined by her wardrobe!

Look at Frederik of Denmark, even Charles of Great Britain and many others on the continent, each of them has been able to have some sort of "life" apart from their parents. Both Charles and Frederik were in the Armed Forces and many others I am sure. They lived away from home. But Victoria is treated as a small child. Even her younger sister has been able to establish her own persona, both sexy and charitable. Carl Phillip has "a life". Victoria does not.
Old 11-09-2008, 08:41 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Her_Majesty View Post
It's a fact I also noticed, Lena.

It's not only "Victoria" who doesn't attrack that much attention, but somehow it's a phenomenon that happens to the Swedish as well as the Norwegian or Belgian Family.

All of this families and Crown Princesses get less attention then Mary or Letizia.

Mary and Letizia appeared in the Royal circles around the same time; they were spreading lots of glamour and offered quite good stories for the gossips mags (pregnancy rumors and so on).
People mostly discuss their fashion and style.

Victoria is the most professional Crown Princess, but she didn't have the "Glamour" moments yet.

My prediction:
When Victoria gets engaged, marries Daniel and has her first kids, then she'll be as interesting for gossip mags and forum posters as other Princesses. This seems to be the way it works. Sadly...
I totally agree with you!!! Between she is really intelligent, cute & pretty.