The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden > Crown Princess Victoria, Prince Daniel and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 07:43 PM
Royal Highness

many people here seem to exclude Prince Felipe, but as i remenber well, he is a very good friend of Victoria and they were for years a pair (not romantically) for events such as royal weddings, because they were both singles and they walked together on carpets to ceremonies, they are a very good friends, they supported each other until they found partners.
even if he is not chosen for Estelle's, i think its highly possible for him to be godfather to other children Victoria might have^^

Old 05-05-2012, 10:12 AM
Serene Highness

I would guess that her sister Princess Madelaine would be one of the godparents. Another person would be Prince Daniel's sister. Then perhaps a friend of the couples. How many godparents are there usually? In some royals households there's two and then others they are several individuals that are godparents.

It seems very odd that today a lot of people don't know who their god parents are. In my day most people knew who they were (usually they were relatives).

Old 05-05-2012, 10:16 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarlucy View Post
I would guess that her sister Princess Madelaine would be one of the godparents. Another person would be Prince Daniel's sister. Then perhaps a friend of the couples. How many godparents are there usually? In some royals households there's two and then others they are several individuals that are godparents.
Victoria, Carl Philip and Madeleine have four godparents each. King Carl Gustaf has nine godparents.
Old 05-10-2012, 04:53 PM
Serene Highness

Unless Victoria and Daniel will make a surprise choice when it comes to godparents for the little princess as they did with the choice of name, my guess is crown prince Hakon of Norway, crown princess Mary of Denmark, prince Carl Philip of Sweden and Anna Westling.
Old 05-10-2012, 05:49 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meraude View Post
Unless Victoria and Daniel will make a surprise choice when it comes to godparents for the little princess as they did with the choice of name, my guess is crown prince Hakon of Norway, crown princess Mary of Denmark, prince Carl Philip of Sweden and Anna Westling.
I would be very surprised if CP Mary is a godparent. It is a future regent that is being baptized and Mary is the spouse to a Crown Prince. If anyone from the Danish royal family is should be Fredrick.
Old 05-10-2012, 05:57 PM
Serene Highness

I guess Mary is considered as a possible candidate because of one of Estelle's names.
Old 05-11-2012, 01:24 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esmerelda View Post
I guess Mary is considered as a possible candidate because of one of Estelle's names.
Yes, that's why I think Mary could be Estelle's godmother, as her grandfather, mother and uncle have as one of their names the name of one of their godparents.
Carl Gustaf Folke Hubertus - count Folke Bernadotte
Victoria Ingrid Alice Désirée - princess Désirée
Carl Philip Edmund Bertil - prince Bertil

Also the fact that there are no female royal heirs except Victoria herself in her generation, had there been another female heir she would have been a natural choice. If both Hakon and Fredrik are chosen as godfathers I doubt Carl Philip will be one of Estelle's godparents, if Victoria is to follow the tradition her parents made with two males and two females as godparents for her daughter.
Old 05-11-2012, 01:57 AM
Nobility

who are CP Victoria's godparents again?
Old 05-11-2012, 02:18 AM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Picture of the Month Representative - Luxembourg
Royal Blogger

Victoria's godparenst are King Harald V of Norway, Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands, Princess Désirée and Ralf Sommerlath.

Carl-Philip's godparents are Prince Bertil, Prince Leopold of Bavaria, Queen Margrethe II of Denmark and Princess Birgitta.

Madeleine's godparents are Prince Andreas of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, Walther Sommerlath, Princess Benedikte of Denmark and Princess Christina.
Old 05-11-2012, 04:06 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathia_sophia View Post
many people here seem to exclude Prince Felipe, but as i remenber well, he is a very good friend of Victoria and they were for years a pair (not romantically) for events such as royal weddings, because they were both singles and they walked together on carpets to ceremonies, they are a very good friends, they supported each other until they found partners.
even if he is not chosen for Estelle's, i think its highly possible for him to be godfather to other children Victoria might have^^
But prince Felipe belongs to the Roman Chatolic Church? Right? And Church of Sweden is a Lutheran church. That means for sure he is out of question ...
"Of making many books there is no end, and much study wearies the body" (Ecclesiastes 12:12)
Old 05-11-2012, 04:20 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli Deo Gloria View Post
But prince Felipe belongs to the Roman Chatolic Church? Right? And Church of Sweden is a Lutheran church. That means for sure he is out of question ...
But Prince Leopold of Bavaria is also a Roman Catholic. One of Godparents can belong to the different Church than the baby (especially if a baby has so many godparents)
Old 05-11-2012, 04:47 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meraude View Post
Yes, that's why I think Mary could be Estelle's godmother, as her grandfather, mother and uncle have as one of their names the name of one of their godparents.
Carl Gustaf Folke Hubertus - count Folke Bernadotte
Victoria Ingrid Alice Désirée - princess Désirée
Carl Philip Edmund Bertil - prince Bertil
That's assuming Mary is really in honour of Crown Princess Mary, and not the somewhat more obvious choice - Virgin Mary.
This said, I do think either Frederik or Mary are a very likely choice for little Estelle.
Old 05-11-2012, 05:12 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli Deo Gloria View Post
you're total wrong. besides, prince felipe is godfather to princess ingrid of norway, prince vincent of denmark and prince constantine alexios of greece whose church is not catholic. princess victoria herself is godmother to princess eleonore who is from catholic church.
Old 05-11-2012, 05:31 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post
That's assuming Mary is really in honour of Crown Princess Mary, and not the somewhat more obvious choice - Virgin Mary.
This said, I do think either Frederik or Mary are a very likely choice for little Estelle.
True but, as mentioned before by others, in Sweden the Virgin Mary is usually Maria or less often Marie. Hence the suggestions that it refers to CP Mary. Though it could, also as others in this thread stated, be compensation (so to speak) for Mary not being named a godmother...
Old 05-11-2012, 06:05 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Dane View Post
True but, as mentioned before by others, in Sweden the Virgin Mary is usually Maria or less often Marie
And Protestants (who predominate in Sweden) do not believe that Mary was always a Virgin.
Old 05-11-2012, 07:05 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biri View Post
And Protestants (who predominate in Sweden) do not believe that Mary was always a Virgin.
How true! How could I forget that!
Also IMO it's generally a Catholic thing to include Maria in the child (boy or girl)'s name for the Virgin Mary's honour. I know very few Protestants who do that
Old 05-11-2012, 10:30 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Dane

True but, as mentioned before by others, in Sweden the Virgin Mary is usually Maria or less often Marie. Hence the suggestions that it refers to CP Mary. Though it could, also as others in this thread stated, be compensation (so to speak) for Mary not being named a godmother...
What about Mette Marit, though? I would guess Haakon will be godfather but his wife isn't given a 'compensation' of having one of her names given to Estelle.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:47 AM
Royal Highness

is there a possibility that Estelle might have more than 4 godparents? i mean, 'cause her grandfather had 9. it isnt actually a rule that she must have 4 godparents as her mother, uncle and aunt had, or is it?
Old 05-11-2012, 11:31 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathia_sophia
is there a possibility that Estelle might have more than 4 godparents? i mean, 'cause her grandfather had 9. it isnt actually a rule that she must have 4 godparents as her mother, uncle and aunt had, or is it?
Yes, that's a possibility and I don't think there are any limits. It depends how Victoria and Daniel see it. I suppose they wouldn't want to 'use up' all potential godparents: 'save' some for the other children.
Old 05-12-2012, 02:36 AM
Courtier

Will the names of the godparents be announced the day of the baptism or beforehand already?
BYe Bine

Tags
godparents