Engagement of Crown Princess Victoria and Daniel Westling: February 24, 2009

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Victoria and Daniel tell about the proposal at the official wedding book "Vårt bröllop".
Daniel tells: Victoria had clearly told a few years before, that she didn´t want to be proposed abroad. She would like it to happen in Sweden and outdoors. I had clear directives on how it would go and then I had two options. There was a one place up in Ockelbo which we like very much, or at Drottningholm, along our favorite walk. And it was at Drottningholm it happened.
Victoria tells: It was a lovely winter day on our walk. Daniel said that he would like to read something. And then he read a wonderful speech that he had written about our time together, our experiences and what we like to do, special dates and events. There I sat. And then he went to on his knees in the snow and proposed. And I said yes, yes, yes.
Daniel had ordered the engagement ring from a jeweler abroad, to keep the engagement secret, but they had discussed about the ring before. Victoria had wanted a ring quite similar to her mother´s engagement ring. Victoria says: My mother got the ring of my grandmother, princess Sibylla when she became engaged to dad. Our rings remind eachother. I like the tradition and that the ring has connection to the past.

Awwwwww! The non-Swedish speaking addicts here will miss out on a lot of romantic stuff!

Awwwwww! The non-Swedish speaking addicts here will miss out on a lot of romantic stuff!
Unless the Swedish speaking addicts translate tiny bits for us. ;)

Thanks a lot LadyFinn. :flowers: It sounds so romantic, awwww.

That proposal story is so sweet. Thank you for posting LadyFinn.

I -for one- am definitely hoping the swedish-speaking members of this forum will continue translating these news for us, little by little.
Please don't stop! we're addicts!

Victoria tells at the book "Vårt bröllop"
"On the evening of our engagement day, which was also Mardi Gras, mom came to the evening coffee with shrove buns. When we lifted the lids of the cream jugs, there were two cut hearts instead of cream. On them mom had written heartening words to us. It was so nice and typical mom."

"On the evening of our engagement day, which was also Mardi Gras, mom came to the evening coffee with shrove buns. When we lifted the lids of the cream jugs, there were two cut hearts instead of cream. On them mom had written heartening words to us. It was so nice and typical mom."

Aww...I need to hire a translator. They go very far, in telling us those details.

Aw, that's very sweet. Thanks for all the translations!

how sweet.

its been over 2 years since the engament now, times fly

Loved her engagement outfit.I loved the cut and the color.

I did not know that charles and diana also were offically engaged on this day

for victoria and daniel 3 years ago

gosh I cant believe how long ago that was !!

I can't believe it's six years either, because I remember that day so well and feeling really excited about it all.

I had almost forgotten this special day! Thank you for remind me about it LadyFinn!

:flowers: Thank you for the pics and reminder of such a happy day. As in love today as they were then. Still would love if they postpone baby 2's baptism until June and do it on their anniversary/parent's 40th. I know it would be taking a page from Maddie, but would be so fitting.

Ten years from the engagement in February

Svensk Damtidning invites: "Love is the greatest thing of all"
Victoria & Daniel celebrate 10 years of engagement - and we want to celebrate with you! Take the chance and meet Svensk Damtidnings editor-in-chief Johan T Lindwall and expert Herman Lindqvist when they invite you.
Come and meet our historical expert Herman Lindqvist who will tell you about engagements and love stories of all time, as well as our editor-in-chief Johan T Lindwall who reveals everything about the amazing love story of Victoria & Daniel. And there is a lot to tell, we promise! Even things you may not have heard before…
Svensk Damtidning bjuder in_ _Störst av allt är kärleken_ _ Svensk Damtidning

Today is 10 years from that magical engagement day.

Svensk Damtidning has a large article, they tell about the engagement and Victoria and Daniel's life after that. Now, 10 years after the engagement, and 18 years after their first meeting they have two fine children and happiness that shines from them. What a victory for Love!
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image

Aftonbladet
10 years ago Crown Princess Victoria & Daniel Westling got engaged
Kronprinsessan Victoria & Daniel Westling förlovade i 10 år _ Aftonbladet

Finnish Ilta-Sanomat
Victorian ja Danielin kihloista 10 vuotta! Prinssi salasi suhteen ensin jopa vanhemmiltaan – sitten pikkukylässä koettiin historiallinen jymy-yllätys - Kuninkaalliset - Ilta-Sanomat

10 years, two children and hundreds of royal trips and fancy gala dinners later, Victoria and Daniel still seem to be as much in love. They really have those little extras and always seem to make the other laugh.
- We have a nice personal chemistry and complement each other well. Our love and friendship is a really strong foundation to stand on and we also have great fun together, Victoria has said in previous interviews.
10 år av kärlek! Se hovets nya bild på Victoria och Daniel _ Svensk Damtidning

Photo on the engagement day, by Alexis Daflos/The Royal Court
https://scontent-arn2-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=ec6022cd44ad89f5e020fbe11a6cad25&oe=5CDDA808

Aftonbladet's royal expert Jenny Alexandersson at her blog
"Like this I remember the Crown Princess Victoria's and Prince Daniel's engagement"
Så minns jag kronprinsessan Victorias och prins Daniels förlovning _ Hovbloggen
Translation

TV4 News published today the clip of the engagement announcement from their archives:
Ur arkivet_ Så lät det när kronprinsessan Victoria sa _Ja, ja, ja!_ till Daniel

Last edited by a moderator:
One of my favorite royal couples. I always love watching them interact together and with their kids. The love is as strong if not stronger today as it was ten years ago. :flowers:

Such a sweet photo to share for the anniversary.

Daniel didn't wear glasses then; maybe visual impairment is a side effect of immunosuppressants he has to take since the kidney transplant.

Or he wore contacts and (had to) stop wearing them.

Back
Top Bottom