Engagement of Crown Princess Victoria and Daniel Westling: February 24, 2009

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Congratulations to them both. I wish them every happiness.

Sorry if this has been asked before.

Does anyone know the weight of the diamond?

I'm more excited about this wedding than I have been for any other in recent years and am so happy for the Crown Princess.
Congratulations to Victoria and Daniel!:clap:

OMG! I CAN'T WAIT...I hope its extremely formal so we can see all those tiaras n ballgowns.

Thinking back to the earlier posts showing the King and Queen with Daniel and Victoria sitting at the table:

The King seemed warm and the Queen seemed somewhat frosty. Victoria was, of course, giddy with emotion and Daniel seemed shy. The Queen's body language really conveyed her feelings. This is her first child and daughter - where was the motherly
love and warmth? Silvia looked prim and proper - as if they were going to play a hand of bridge or have a serious family discussion..

The engagement announcement in 1976 for the King and Queen has been reshown - what a difference! And I mean in the personality of the Queen. Silvia has become so remote and not the warm person she was 33 years ago.
I think that the Swedish press was very hard on her in the early years and that has affected her. What a shame.

My congratulation card is already posted I hope to get an answer

Do you think that Daniel should be given the title of Prince of Sweden few days before the wedding (so that marriage is considered "equal") and the title of Duke of Västergötland at the wedding?

I think that the Swedish press was very hard on her in the early years and that has affected her. What a shame.
Not, that me had lived then already, but as I get it Silvia was extremely popular in her years as young Queen. The press was much more gentle then and most were very happy about this young beautiful woman, who additionally got 3 cute children.

But Silvia strikes me as one of those commoners, who are more Royal than born Royals. She seems to be a perfectionist. On Aftonbladet a columnist assumed, that this was the reason for her stiff performance.
Others did say, that she would be a snob and not happy about Daniel as her daughter´s husband.
Whatever it was...the eyes of many will be on her and will look extra hard, when she is together with Daniel...

Expressen exclusive chat with daniel Westling
Translated version of "Det är något helt fantastiskt" - Förlovningen - Expressen.se
I am feeling a bit sorry for Daniel, that he now has to be "nice" to slimeballs like Johan T. :rolleyes:

Do you think that Daniel should be given the title of Prince of Sweden few days before the wedding (so that marriage is considered "equal") and the title of Duke of Västergötland at the wedding?
No, I think he should go in as Westling and out as prince.
I am even not sure, if it would work otherwise. Maybe the king would have to adopt him and then Victoria would marry her brother ;)

I am even not sure, if it would work otherwise. Maybe the king would have to adopt him and then Victoria would marry her brother ;)

I thought that The Sovereign can bestow any title upon anyone (with the consent of Parliament). Why would The King have to adopt Daniel in order to create him Prince of Sweden? Anyway, spouses of Swedish princes and princesses (as well as spouses of kings and queens) should be treated equally (they did want equal prmogeniture after all) and they should automatically get their spouse's title.

I thought that The Sovereign can bestow any title upon anyone (with the consent of Parliament). Why would The King have to adopt Daniel in order to create him Prince of Sweden? Anyway, spouses of Swedish princes and princesses (as well as spouses of kings and queens) should be treated equally (they did want equal prmogeniture after all) and they should automatically get their spouse's title.

I´ve no idea, how the legal situation really is. But I am pretty sure, he will get the titles at the wedding and not before it.

Somehow I am thinking, he should get "king" as title after the current king´s death...but one also has to say, that Royalty is about everything, but equality. "Prince consort" has a tradition...and some traditions have to be kept.
And I guess in the end we have to be thankful those ppl, who wanted him with no title at all or just Duke didn´t get their will...

The King can only give Ttitles to membes of the Royal Family. And this also the ducal one who where given to his children. He can not create new nobility (like Queen Margrethe did when she gave Titles to her former daughter-in-law and her sons).

yes JCBCODE95, the ring is lovely , but i was waiting to see a special ring like that of Maxima , MARY, and MATILDE ....its very simple for a future queen like VIctoria!

It is special...for Victoria and Daniel. Lets not forget that QE2 has a very simple diamond solitaire engagement ring as well!

But even if they give Daniel the title of the Prince,how can they consider this marriage equal?I thought that no matter what title Daniel will finally get,it's his background that counts.In other words,Daniel is a commoner,this marriage will never be equal.What do you think?

But even if they give Daniel the title of the Prince,how can they consider this marriage equal?I thought that no matter what title Daniel will finally get,it's his background that counts.In other words,Daniel is a commoner,this marriage will never be equal.What do you think?

Depends on the Swedish laws, I guess. If it is possible to take on your wife's name, then he will be Daniel Bernadotte, Prince of Sweden, Duke of Västergotland because he will be the husband of Victoria Bernadotte, (Crown-) Princess of Sweden and Duchess of Västergotland. And their children will be little Bernadottes, princes and princesses of Sweden.

But even if they give Daniel the title of the Prince,how can they consider this marriage equal? I thought that no matter what title Daniel will finally get, it's his background that counts. In other words, Daniel is a commoner,this marriage will never be equal. What do you think?
I think there is a growing tendency to discriminate against Daniel. Yes he is a commoner, but so too was his future Mother-in-law!

Crown Princesses Maxima, Mary, Letizia and Mette-Merret were also all middle class commoners. and yet their chosen countries have, in the majority, accepted them because they make their Heirs Happy, and a happy Heir is good for the nation. They have all stepped up to the job, wanting to be seen to suceed as consort and knowing they would never be equal to their husband's.

So, what sets Daniel apart as a commoner?

A Chromosome ;)
He surely has it a bit tougher with the "Cinderella change". He can´t put a tiara on his head and wear a nice dress for the engagement ball.
But all together I am actually thinking Daniel is received well. Sweden surely has more discussions on "republic" ongoing than e.g. Denmark, but the majority is though standing behind the Monarchy and confident about her choice...
Don´t forget that e.g. the discussion around Mette Marit as choice was much "louder"
But these days she is accepted by most...

Of course he's well accepted!!Who talked about discriminations?I was just wondering if this marriage can be considered equal,like for example that of Aimone's and Olga's.I think this is the only "equal" marriage that took place in the recent years.All the other Princes were married to commoners(Felipe,Frederick,Joachim,Haakon etc.).

Somehow I am thinking, he should get "king" as title after the current king´s death....

I hope he will. What's the point of equal primogeniture if spouses of female monarchs aren't treated like spouses of male monarchs (the latter share their husband's title, while the former are merely princes)? The monarchy would fall out of balance: having as much queens regnant as kings + queens consort = much more queens than kings.

but one also has to say, that Royalty is about everything, but equality. "Prince consort" has a tradition...and some traditions have to be kept.

Exactly! That's why they should have kept male-preferance primogeniture ;)

As Daniel Westling will not be styled Crown Prince after marrying The Crown Princess, he will not be styled King either once she becomes Queen regnant.

I am aware of that, but does it make sense to you? What kind of "equality" is that? :rolleyes:

Again my Congratulations to All The Swedish People and the Beautiful couple may they Be married forever and have many Beautiful Children will their children be HRH or just H.H. Also will they have a Civil Wedding to wonder wholl officiate at the Wedding

I hope their first child is a boy. Poor Prince Christian of Denmark will end up being the only King among a sea of Queens in years to come thanks to the changes in the law. I would have preferred the succession laws regarding males to have stayed the same as well. It would have been so much more interesting to have seen Carl-Philip get married and know his wife was going to be a future Queen than it is to watch Daniel Westling.

:previous: I don't have anything against The Crown Princess or Daniel, but I agree with you. I dislike both Salic law and equal primogeniture (because there isn't much equality in it). Male-preferance seems best to me.

Christian will indeed be one of the few kings in the sea of queens. Even those kings who'll reign during his reign will have queens consort, while queens regnant most likely won't have kings consort. So it would be like 10 queens in Europe and 3-4 kings :nonono: If they really want equality, then they should treat husbands of female monarchs like they treat wives of male monarchs.

I hope their first child is a boy. Poor Prince Christian of Denmark will end up being the only King among a sea of Queens in years to come thanks to the changes in the law. I would have preferred the succession laws regarding males to have stayed the same as well. It would have been so much more interesting to have seen Carl-Philip get married and know his wife was going to be a future Queen than it is to watch Daniel Westling .

Maybe Christian would enjoy his role as the cock of the walk ;) The little one though seems like a real boy, who is into cars and such...so maybe some support wouldn´t be bad.
Somehow Victoria and Daniel strike me so much as "boy parents"...with some couples, you simply "know", what sex most of their children would have...so I´d be surprised, if they would get a girl as first one or girls at all.
Now I´ve seen a pic of Daniel´s niece, who did celebrate her 5th birthday just on Tuesday, when her uncle was on TV all over. She is so cute, and remembering, how cute Victoria and Madeleine were...maybe hoping for a girl wouldn´t be bad though. :rolleyes:

The Cinderella story, we had quite often in the past years...thinking of pix with a style-free Emma with a fag in her mouth...I am glad things are as they are. Also because I am doubtful, Carl Philip is meant for marriage...

The family had an other dinner tonight. Next to the Royal couple and the crown princess couple-to-be (or whatever they would be called as married couple ;) ) Daniel´s parents + sister were present, Victoria´s siblings, Princess Christina + family, Princess Desiree with husband, Carl Johan Bernadotte with wife
http://82.115.132.101/Sites/SvDam/Default____43896.aspx?DataID=80939

It seems that many have a different attitude to commoner women marrying princes than to commoner men marrying princesses. For some reason, it seems to bother people when the Cinderella story isn't fulfilled.

I am completely for equal primogeniture, why degrade women by saying that because of your sex, you will somehow be less capable as a monarch? No matter how anyone else tries to explain it, that's what male-preference laws comes down to. I know that those who don't agree with me will say that it is not about equality and that it is easier for crown princes, I'll just say this, Victoria has found her prince in Daniel and I think that she will be an excellent queen. And why get angry at the sex disparity? For hundreds of years, almost all monarchs were male!

Thank you all for posting the lovely pictures & video of Victoria & Daniel.
Congratulations and best wishes for both of them :flowers:
Can't wait for the wedding....:)

Back
Top Bottom