Engagement of Crown Princess Victoria and Daniel Westling: February 24, 2009

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow!Great news!But is Madeleine engaged now?I mean,what's the rush?

Firstly, my warmest congratulations goes out to the happy couple! Crown Princess Victoria has made a great choice in Daniel Westling, you can really see that they care deeply about eachother.

Secondly, some of the comments in this thread makes my stomach turn. I just get this feeling that some posters' think that it's a step down for the Crown Princess to marry Daniel because she's a woman. Where they these kinds of comments when Crown Prince Haakon got engaged to Mette-Marit? Or when Crown Prince Frederik got engaged to Mary?

I read in a German paper that in fact it was Madeleine's wish to marry this summer that made Victoria and Daniel officially announce their betrothal - which dates back to last summer, as they stated. We'll probably hear about Madeleine next month and then she can marry in 2009 and Victoria can follow in 2010.

What paper? It´s probably made up, but I am actually not excluding it completely. Madeleine and Jonas seem very stable as couple and Madeleine all ready to get a child...it´s a bit difficult to imagine, she would wait until 2011 with her wedding.
If she would marry summer 09, The gap between the two weddings would be similiar to the ones of Constantijn to Willem Alexander or the one of Haakon to Märtha Louise. Madeleine´s wedding would be smaller, 5-6 months of preparations (August 2009) would do it probably.

I am just not sure, if the Slow-a-dottes would now really move that fast and maybe there would be a fear, the Swedes could get tired of Royal weddings already before the Crown Princess and Daniel could marry.

I think its great news as long as they are happy !!
be nice to see her share her duties with some one .

I don't understand why Victoria has to marry first. Prince Joachim married before CP Frederick, Princess Anne before CP Charles, the Spanish pricesses before their brother, one of the Dutch princes' married before CP William-Alexander, and the same with CP Phillipe's sisters. Is this a custom which is followed only in Sweden?

Well, yes, they will die out because they will lose the mystique and "otherness" that they once had because they keep marrying real estate agents, financial advisors, news readers, cocktail waitresses and personal trainers.

This is the Catch-22 of mordern day royalty, IMO.

On the one hand you are right the mystique dies when a personal trainer can became a Prince or a cocktail waitress a Princess.

BUT

They probably cannot do any better than that. In this day and age, which Neurosurgeon, Astronaut or Lawyer would be willing to give up a career that they spent years studing for and cultivating to become a Prince or Princess and do royal duties?

By agreeing to marry Victoria, Daniel gives up on his "life" and becomes a royal spouse- not terribly attactive for someone say who is extremely well educated and has a great career of their own. Heck, I am convinced even a Jonas Bergstrom would not make that career sacrifice. I was a bit surprised that someone as "moderately sucessfull" as Letizia did that.

Do you think she bought her own ring???

I mean, she's a CP, he's a gym owner. How can he afford to purchase a ring suitable for a Royal Finger?

I don't understand why Victoria has to marry first. Prince Joachim married before CP Frederick, Princess Anne before CP Charles, the Spanish pricesses before their brother, one of the Dutch princes' married before CP William-Alexander, and the same with CP Phillipe's sisters. Is this a custom which is followed only in Sweden?

I don't know if there was any compulsion for Victoria to marry first. But, it would be completely pointless for the Royal Family to announce Victoria's engagement and wedding in 2010 and then announce that either Madeline or Carl Philip were to get engaged after them and marry before them.

I think, this is only a rumour. That Victoria (maybe...as I´ve said, I think the idea of a summer 09 wedding for Madeleine is not completely strange) would now marry faster is more a coincidence and due to age, if the girls would be only 1.5 years apart, maybe Madeleine would have married last year or so.

Congratulations! I like Daniel, and I think he will be a great husband. I find that Daniel is a little fatter than when I first knew him about a year or two years ago, and I think he is much better-looking when wearing his glasses, am I right?
I certainly agree with you :) Get those glasses on Daniel!
They give him an interesting 'edge'.

I don't know if there was any compulsion for Victoria to marry first. But, it would be completely pointless for the Royal Family to announce Victoria's engagement and wedding in 2010 and then announce that either Madeline or Carl Philip were to get engaged after them and marry before them.

No, I don´t think so. If both girls* would wanna marry and would wanna have children soon, it would be the best solution. Obviously Daniel wants a bit more time for "Royal training" and they need time to prepare a big lavish wedding of 3 days.
Now one could have announced an engagement between Madeleine and Jonas firstly, as they would marry sooner, but an engagement as first ones and a wedding as first ones would have taken positive attention away from Victoria and Daniel. And the months until Victoria´s engagement announcement would have been pretty tough for her. Her 5 years younger sister would get engaged, and Victoria as remnant and spinster would be left. No pretty idea..
BIG excitement for "finally an engagement in the Swedish Royal house" for Victoria and BIG excitement for "the first wedding in 33 years" for Madeleine. That would sound fair. All theory of course... ;)

*I am more than doubtful Carl Philip would marry soon. I don´t think Emma would be the one and dating an new one would take time. And I am even not sure, he is a guy for marriage...

I certainly agree with you :) Get those glasses on Daniel!
They give him an interesting 'edge'.

But please not the grandpa model. The black framed ones looked a lot better...

Last edited by a moderator:
When is the appropriate time to start speculating on the the wedding itself - the wedding dress, bridesmades etc!? I'm sure by the time the wedding comes round next year there will be millions of posts!!!

This is the Catch-22 of mordern day royalty, IMO.

On the one hand you are right the mystique dies when a personal trainer can became a Prince or a cocktail waitress a Princess.

BUT

They probably cannot do any better than that. In this day and age, which Neurosurgeon, Astronaut or Lawyer would be willing to give up a career that they spent years studing for and cultivating to become a Prince or Princess and do royal duties?

By agreeing to marry Victoria, Daniel gives up on his "life" and becomes a royal spouse- not terribly attactive for someone say who is extremely well educated and has a great career of their own. Heck, I am convinced even a Jonas Bergstrom would not make that career sacrifice. I was a bit surprised that someone as "moderately sucessfull" as Letizia did that.

Good reasoning ... and even if they are willing to give it all up, who knows whether they won't end in depression as the husband of Beatrix :ermm:.

Does anyone else think Daniel looks a little like King Carl Gustaf? Especially if you look at the pictures taken at the press conference where Victoria showed her ring and the pictures from the engagement press conference of the King and future Queen.

Maybe it's true what they say about daughters and their choice of men...

Pictures of King Carl Gustaf and Silvia Sommerlath's engagement:

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/...vos/silvia/soltera/March12CGSilviacloseup.jpg
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n211/claudiams19/escandinavos/silvia/soltera/k07-02-14-14.jpg
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/...navos/silvia/soltera/March12CGSilviadoggy.jpg
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/...via/soltera/March12CGSilviasmilingbroadly.jpg
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n211/claudiams19/escandinavos/silvia/soltera/v4.jpg
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n211/claudiams19/escandinavos/silvia/soltera/153.jpg

This picture raised some questions.

http://www.dn.se/polopoly_fs/1.806868!image/3286161961.jpg_gen/derivatives/article-landscape/3286161961.jpg

These are supposed to be the hands of a princess who is 31 years old. Does she do hard labor as a hobby? It looks like she's just been washing her laundry in an ice hole on the sea ice or something. I don't mean to be rude, it was just a bit shocking since I'm 30 and my hands look nothing like that. No pores visible etc. You would think she'd afford to have a manicure done or something.

Firstly, my warmest congratulations goes out to the happy couple! Crown Princess Victoria has made a great choice in Daniel Westling, you can really see that they care deeply about eachother.

Secondly, some of the comments in this thread makes my stomach turn. I just get this feeling that some posters' think that it's a step down for the Crown Princess to marry Daniel because she's a woman. Where they these kinds of comments when Crown Prince Haakon got engaged to Mette-Marit? Or when Crown Prince Frederik got engaged to Mary?

I also has felt that

however there are many that has Congratulated them, but those who has said sometihng has benn critical.
Mette-Marit got a lot of critic but i think Mary and Maxima got more glory.
As i said i had quite low thoughts on him, but he grow on me.
But as he said yesterday that he will have to work to be given the trust it does not come Automatically just becose he mariies Victoria.
I will give him a chance and then tell you what my conclusion is lets say in about 2 - 3 years time.

Congratulations to the happy couple; this has been a long time coming. Her ring is lovely--and no, I don't think she purchased it herself. Gym owners may not be royal (well, not until after the wedding!) but I am certain he earns enough to purchase a lovely ring.

yes JCBCODE95, the ring is lovely , but i was waiting to see a special ring like that of Maxima , MARY, and MATILDE ....its very simple for a future queen like VIctoria!

OH!! Congratulations and God bless to the happy couple! I am THRILLED she is marrying for love....and their relationship for this long has been a testament to that. I hope only nothing but the best for them....

And as for the ring, well, a ring given to a woman for engagement is meant to be given as a symbol of love....size does not, and should not, matter. ;-)

Mine is not the biggest....but my husband chose it on his own accord, in a style which he knew I would love.....that means more to me than size.

He must love Our Vicki. Who would want to take the Prince Consort role on if he didn't? Yes, all the luxury, the holidays, the opportunities to meet the Great and the Good, and the never having to worry about money for the rest of his life.

But who wants to live with a camera constantly trying to look up his nose? He really does not look like he enjoys press attention. And all the endless examination of his every move, every grimace, every word.

It's a lot to deal with when you haven't been born into it. So I reckon it must be Real.

That is so true. The same goes for Princess Ingrid of Norway who is already in line to inherit the throne and she is 1/4 royal and 3/4 commoner. I thought the same thought but did not want to spoil the special day.
So far only Liechtenstein has married into royalty. All the other houses have already diluted "the royal blood", some more than others but we are getting there!

Royalty is nothing "real"! It`s not in the blood or in the genes. We are all the same. Royalty is just a concept. The forefathers of todays royals were all "commoners", you just have to go back a few hundred years. I like todays monarchies, but the concept of nobility is really out of date. So if lets say a random commoner 300 years became nobel because he did something for the king how is this different from becoming nobel today? It`s just a time difference.

Congratulations to Victoria and Daniel! I hope they will be very happy and have lots of children! :flowers:

I am literally in shock!! I don't know why as they have been together for so long but I was genuinely surprised.

Congratulations to the couple:flowers:

I am very happy she chose a swedish man. The swedish royal family needs more swedish blood than another country's royal blood.

Josefine - Thank you so much for answering my question.
I can really see why some people may think that he's not 'good enough' for the Crown Princess. Daniel Westling has given up so much of his personal fredoom to be able to be with Crown Princess Victoria. -- I think that he deserves a lot of respect for that!

Crown Princess Victoria's engagement ring is rumoured to have been custom made for her by W.A. Bolins. I've never seen Crown Princess Victoria as bling-bling kind of girl, so I think the engagement ring has found it's perfect match.

Congratulations to CPss Victoria and Mr. Daniel Westling. May they have a long and happy marriage and life together.

:flowers:

Josefine - Thank you so much for answering my question.
I can really see why some people may think that he's not 'good enough' for the Crown Princess. Daniel Westling has given up so much of his personal fredoom to be able to be with Crown Princess Victoria. -- I think that he deserves a lot of respect for that!

One should not forget that the first Bernadotte king of Sweden was born a French commoner from the deepest prvince who from his position in society could not become more than a sergeant in the army during the Ancien Regime. I doubt he would have been considered to be a better choice than Daniel Westling today - but he had luck with the revolution and Napoleon, which gave him the chance to show his talents and potential - he became a sucessful commander and was voted for adopted son and heir of the Swedish king by the Reichstag. Just like the Reichstag of today accepted the Swedish commoner from the deepest countryside who had turned successful businessman as spouse for their future queen. It's not as if the Bernadottes had no precendence!

But as he said yesterday that he will have to work to be given the trust it does not come Automatically just becose he mariies Victoria.
I will give him a chance and then tell you what my conclusion is lets say in about 2 - 3 years time.

I recall I have posted, oh, years ago, that he appears to be a man who can be trusted to help and support/protect his wife. And if you see how supportive the Dutch were of the German-born prince Claus when he became ill because they had seen that he had been good for their queen, then I have no doubt that once the Swedish public realises that Victoria has found herself a husband who is there for her, helps her, loves her and makes her happy, then Daniel can be a quiet and a bit shy prince consort but will be loved as well.

Back
Top Bottom