Engagement of Crown Princess Victoria and Daniel Westling: February 24, 2009

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy for them. It's just kind of funny when I hear about the royal houses becoming more "democratic" by the influx of non-royals when there's nothing at all democratic about hereditary monarchy.

But there are hand-holding pics, if they were too affectionate, people would say Victoria was being inappropriate. She looks so happy.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy for them. It's just kind of funny when I hear about the royal houses becoming more "democratic" by the influx of non-royals when there's nothing at all democratic about hereditary monarchy.
Well, at least these days, royals can choose for themselves who to marry, or at least who not to marry. And there aren't as many royals around these days as it was in the old days anyway.

Congratulations to victoria and daniel!!!!!

Congratulation to Princess Victoria and Daniel, they both looked so happy.:twohearts:

I just think this yoiung woman is really lovely and an absolute credit to her parents so with that in mind and not the thought of how diappointed I am that she has made this choice I wish her the best of all that is important. He is a commoner and I just cannot find the reply that went on about we are all human or some such thing[ hope I am in the correct forum when saying that] but that is rather a silly observation as we in a Royal Forum here and their is such a thing as royal blood and commoner so I inagine we just have to put up with that. Anyway good luck to this charming young woman she looks just gorgeous.

I have to say congrats to them and I wish them the best. I hope this is the beginning of more great news from Sweden.

First: Finally!! :D

Second, Congratulations are definately in order for the Crown Princess and her fiancé :twohearts:

Victoria looked so happy at both press conferences, and her outfits were both lovely. Daniel also looked very pleased too.

:swedenstandard:

omg im so happy for both of them! Finally!! Congratulations to Victoria and Daniel. he seems shy n nervous (which is understandable) at the pressconference.
p/s: the ring is simply beautiful. perfect for her i think

The balance between marrying other royals and marrying commoners is very delicate. Ideally royal houses should have some alternation between the two, because while it may be important to maintain the royal mystique, it is also very important to actually have ties to the country and its people over which you claim rulership.

Many Congratulations to the Crown Princess and the future of the House of Bernadotte!

My congratulations to the couple! Victoria looks so happy and they do seem very well-suited to each other.

I suppose only the CPs of Belgium's kids, William and Harry, and some of the Liechtenstein kids remain fairly blue-blooded these days. As a lover of genealogy and history, I think it's a pity that these royal bloodlines will eventually die out.

Still, times have really changed. Being a King or Queen is anachronistic and the notion of being born royal is really archaic. You are born with a job already waiting for you and don't have the choice of professions that everyone else has. Some may see glamour when they see today's monarchs and royals but I've only ever seen people sacrificing so much for their country (at least for the hardworking ones). Since most of their freedom of choice has been taken from them, I think it's only fair to give them total choice in the matter of choosing the persons they'd spend the rest of their lives with. Victoria has been an absolute asset to Sweden and she truly embodies what service to country means. In the end, it doesn't matter if she's half-commoner, half-royal or a quarter royal, three-fourths commoner or what have you. In every way that matters, she is a genuine Princess of Sweden.

As of now, I suppose it is safe to predict the death of royalty. But we don't really know what's going to happen in the future. Endism is a dangerous thing. Events may develop that would render republics irrelevant and countries may need monarchies again. But maybe in the future, we might just see a redefinition of what it means to be King or Queen. Maybe blood won't be as important as sense of commitment and duty to one's people and country. In that case, future royals can certainly look to Victoria as a role model.

I was under the impression that because Victoria is royal, she would be the one to officially propose. Didn't Queen Victoria of England have to be the one to propose to Prince Albert? What about QEII and QMII - did they have to be the ones to propose to Prince Phillip and Prince Henrick respectively?

the engagemnt at the perez hilton site
Perez Hilton: Princess Victoria of Sweden Engaged to a Meathead
what does he mean by Meathead
I'm surprised they are even on his radar! He's low class to say the least. I define 'Meathead' as a slang term that refers to an athlete that isn't very smart. It's very harsh to criticize Daniel like that. One would have to be smart to run a successful business, and one would assume Daniel's gym is successful if it attracted CP Victoria.

I just realized its 10 days after Valentine's Day. Why didn't they do this then? Make it more romantic!

Or, maybe Daniel did propose on V-Day.
I was thinking it had more to do with Lent? The 24th is Fat Tuesday, the day before Ash Wednesday and the beginning of the Lenten season. I don't know the specifics of the Swedish royal family's religious practices, but Lent is usually a time for austerity and not for celebrations.

I think that we will have next two year the next swedish engagements. In 2010 Prince Carl Philipp will get engaged and will marry in 2011 and 2011 Princess Madeleine will get engaged to Jonas Bergström and will marry in 2012.
I've been thinking that this paves the way for Carl & Madeleine to marry their respective sig-others. I read once that they couldn't marry until Victoria marries. I wonder how quickly engagement announcments and weddings follow Victoria & Daniel's.

I litterally SCREAMED when I heard this!!!!

AHHHHHH!!!!

Yay yay yay yay!!!!

its seems that they had a dinner with the families at drotningholm
victoria and daniel also went to see princess lilian and tell the news.

papers say that there will be a party this wekkend for friends and family

do you think the engagment was a well kept secret or did you have an ide thta is was comming?
for the other royal couple were there a heads up that a engagment was comming, i can´t remember

Last edited by a moderator:
Finnally hell seems like it took forever..thanx for the good news..MAY THEY BE HAPPY 4EVER...Congratulations from Austria TOO:ROFLMAO:

Her parents are definetly NOT hppy with her choise.

I'd expect at least Queen Silvia from now on to do a Queen Sofia and give utmost support to her in-law, both inside and outside the Palace Walls and forget about whether he was first choice or not.

jinigirl He moved to Drottningholm in July 2008, why should they wait for 8 month to announce the engagement. 2 or 3 weeks, maybe 1 month, that makes sense, but 8 month to announce the wedding, and than wait for 1 1/2 year to get married?!?

I understand that they waited 8 months to make the engagement public, Daniel might have needed some time out of the public eye to sort out parts of his life.
But why they decide to wait another 1 1/2 years to get married is beyond me. IMO an extended time in a "semi-royal" status as fiancee is a disadvantage rather than beneficial for Daniel.

Last edited:
Aaargh! One day I don't connect to the internet and The Crown Princess decides to get engaged on that particular day, so I find out about it the next day :nonono: Thank God they've decided to end our disputes :)

Wedding summer 2010? Why so long?

It's in fact very soon, considering the fact that it took them 7 years to get engaged :D

Congratulations! I like Daniel, and I think he will be a great husband. I find that Daniel is a little fatter than when I first knew him about a year or two years ago, and I think he is much better-looking when wearing his glasses, am I right?

many congratulations by the next wedding,prevailed the love!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stockholm,good morning,can we have your votes please?:)..

How did the press/morning papers open today?

Tack sy micket!

I've been thinking that this paves the way for Carl & Madeleine to marry their respective sig-others. I read once that they couldn't marry until Victoria marries. I wonder how quickly engagement announcments and weddings follow Victoria & Daniel's.

I read in a German paper that in fact it was Madeleine's wish to marry this summer that made Victoria and Daniel officially announce their betrothal - which dates back to last summer, as they stated. We'll probably hear about Madeleine next month and then she can marry in 2009 and Victoria can follow in 2010.

Back
Top Bottom