The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden > Crown Princess Victoria, Prince Daniel and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-13-2009, 08:14 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

I believe that was the usual sentiment on various internet forums whenever somebody married a royal heir. I suppose many royalists are more roman than the pope and wanted some nobleman?
Still, it seems the vast majority of Swedes is perfecty fine with the match, which is more important...

Old 03-14-2009, 02:42 PM
Imperial Majesty

According to Expressen, Victoria´s engagement ring was too big and now it is being fixed, that´s why Victoria didn´t wear it at the gala dinner and at the icehockey match yesterday. Daniel didn´t know the exact size of Victoria´s rings and the court jeweller Bohlin advised Daniel to buy the ring with estimation. Nina Eldh, Director of the Information and Press Department of the court, confirmed that the ring is being made smaller now.
Expressen/Victoria och Daniel - kärast på hovet

Old 03-15-2009, 12:14 PM
Courtier

Have we heard of such a "ring-problem" from other engaged couples in the last years? After seven years he should have found a way to find out what her ring-size is....
Old 03-15-2009, 05:09 PM
Courtier

I remember reading somewhere that ring might be the engagement ring of Princess Sibylla and used to belong to Silvia later. There was some story about Daniel possibly having the ring adjusted to fit Victoria but now I can't find the news story anywhere... It was in one of the Swedish newspapers or royal magazines. Has anyone else heard about it?

Edit:I found this bit in German about the ring... http://www.abendblatt.de/daten/2009/03/05/1073167.html If my German isn't too rusty, I believe this is the exact thing I read in Swedish earlier. Here's something in Swedish: http://www.aftonbladet.se/sofismode/...icle4552077.ab
Old 03-15-2009, 05:28 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catharina View Post
I remember reading somewhere that ring might be the engagement ring of Princess Sibylla and used to belong to Silvia later. There was some story about Daniel possibly having the ring adjusted to fit Victoria but now I can't find the news story anywhere... It was in one of the Swedish newspapers or royal magazines. Has anyone else heard about it?

Edit: I could only find this bit in German about the ring... Rätsel um Victorias Ring If my German isn't too rusty, I believe this is the exact thing I read in Swedish earlier. I have no idea if it is true or not. Anyone fluent in German care to translate..?
Here is the article, you probably thought of
Kronprinsessan Victorias förlovningsring - samma som drottning Silvias? | Mode | Sofis Mode | Aftonbladet

As it seems Aftonbladet copied it from Svensk Damtidning, which had a similiar headline on the cover.

To be honest the story sounds like a load of **** to me. They stay quite vague and draw weird conclusions.
The ring is a "classic", and therefore it might have similiarities.
It would be too weird, if Daniel would choose her mother´s engagement ring.
Old 03-15-2009, 05:42 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lena View Post
Here is the article, you probably thought of
Kronprinsessan Victorias förlovningsring - samma som drottning Silvias? | Mode | Sofis Mode | Aftonbladet

As it seems Aftonbladet copied it from Svensk Damtidning, which had a similiar headline on the cover.

To be honest the story sounds like a load of **** to me. They stay quite vague and draw weird conclusions.
The ring is a "classic", and therefore it might have similiarities.
It would be too weird, if Daniel would choose her mother´s engagement ring.
I agree, it would be a bit weird and I expect Silvia is still wearing her engagement ring! I'm not sure but this might be a picture of Silvia's engagement ring (and some others):
http://img348.imageshack.us/img348/9608/566506264re.jpg

It is such a simple looking ring that it is not a surprise that Victoria's ring might look similar. Classic, as you said but not very unique or distinguishable.
Old 03-15-2009, 05:42 PM
Heir Presumptive

Absolutely, Lena.
I don't believe this is correct at all - it was confirmed before that the ring was bought by Westling at court jewelers Bolin.
It's Svensk Damtidning's (frequent...) fiction, which has only been picked up by a few other mags, because they usually copy from each other (and from the TRF).
Old 03-15-2009, 05:55 PM
Courtier

Maybe there's a lovely tradition that the royal brides shall have simple solitaire rings, each resembling one from the previous generation? I couldn't find a good picture of Sibylla's engagement ring, but you can see it a little on this one: http://pro.corbis.com/images/HU034406.jpg?size=67&uid={7e1d5ec4-5b80-4414-b5f6-482cb112469b}

I believe the new ring would mean a lot to Victoria anyway since she got it from her fiancé. To have one modeled after the engagement rings of your grandmother and mother would also be a romantic gesture. So, I think it is a new one but maybe Daniel got a tip from the Queen about what Victoria might like...
Old 03-16-2009, 02:04 AM
Royal Highness

It's not entirely unheard of for engagement rings to be family heirlooms. Camilla's ring once belonged to the Queen Mum, and didn't CPss Mette-Marie's engagement ring originally her mother-in=law's engagemtn ring?
Old 03-16-2009, 04:04 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Picture of the Month Representative - Denmark
Royal Blogger

That's different, it's not the ring from the brides family. Therefor the groom can give the ring. (Otherwise he still could, it would just be weird in my opinion.)

However, this discussion was started before and I don't want to start it again.

Josette
Old 03-16-2009, 04:54 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyPrincess168 View Post
It's not entirely unheard of for engagement rings to be family heirlooms. Camilla's ring once belonged to the Queen Mum, and didn't CPss Mette-Marie's engagement ring originally her mother-in=law's engagemtn ring?
Yes but it was given by a Prince to his intended. It would be really wierd if Daniel gave Victoria a ring that was already an heirloom in HER family. Even if Daniel could not afford a suitable ring, I am sure the royals would have helped him out by buying a new ring, not recycling a ring-no matter the sentimental value of the jewellery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
According to Expressen, Victoria´s engagement ring was too big and now it is being fixed, that´s why Victoria didn´t wear it at the gala dinner and at the icehockey match yesterday. Daniel didn´t know the exact size of Victoria´s rings and the court jeweller Bohlin advised Daniel to buy the ring with estimation. Nina Eldh, Director of the Information and Press Department of the court, confirmed that the ring is being made smaller now.
Expressen/Victoria och Daniel - kärast på hovet
This makes no sense. Did Daniel give her the ring on the day of the official announcement of the engagement? If it was before, I am sure there was plenty of time to get it re-sized before being presented to the public.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:02 AM
Nobility

Gefle Dagblad - local newspaper i Gästrikland got a special site for Victoria och Daniel (Ockelbo is a place in Gästrikland...)
Read it here (in swedish, but nice pictures): Victoria och Daniel - www.gd.se
"Of making many books there is no end, and much study wearies the body" (Ecclesiastes 12:12)
Old 03-18-2009, 10:25 PM
Heir Presumptive

FINALLY! Good Lord, I feel like we've all been waiting forever for this joyous news. My heartfelt congrats to the couple and may they have many long and happy years together.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 03-19-2009, 10:36 AM
Courtier

I'm not sure this is a new thing or has to do with the engagement but I decided to post it here. Svensk Damtidning as an article about "love jewelry" meaning pieces of jewelry that royals have given their significant others to signify their love.

Daniel överöser Victoria med kärlekssmycken - Svensk Damtidning

There's a bit about a pendant that Daniel gave Victoria which has entwined letter V and D. The letter V is encrusted with diamonds and the D is plain gold. A nice thought but I must apologize for my awful thoughts... It really is unfortunate that their initials happen to be V and D... In case you're wondering why, Google 'vd'...
Old 03-19-2009, 02:52 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catharina View Post
I'm not sure this is a new thing or has to do with the engagement but I decided to post it here. Svensk Damtidning as an article about "love jewelry" meaning pieces of jewelry that royals have given their significant others to signify their love.

Daniel överöser Victoria med kärlekssmycken - Svensk Damtidning

There's a bit about a pendant that Daniel gave Victoria which has entwined letter V and D. The letter V is encrusted with diamonds and the D is plain gold. A nice thought but I must apologize for my awful thoughts... It really is unfortunate that their initials happen to be V and D... In case you're wondering why, Google 'vd'...
And that is bad because... Sorry, i'm missing your point here.

Congrats to the happy couple! They finally got engaged
Old 03-19-2009, 09:47 PM
Courtier

Talking Congratulations to CP Victoria

mgrant is in the house! Hello everyone! I plan to be back on a more regular basis like old times

I've been waiting for this official announcement for some time. I'm a big fan of CP Victoria and I'm so happy for her it could be my own engagement. Congratulations to the happy couple!
Old 03-20-2009, 04:40 PM
Aristocracy

This is the first time in months that I'm posting. I just read that Victoria is FINALLY engaged!!!!!!! Congratulations and it is about time!!
Old 03-21-2009, 03:09 AM
Imperial Majesty

Queen Silvia commented the engagement when she and king Carl Gustaf visited Gästrikland:
Aftonbladet/Daniel är en väldigt trevlig man
The Queen said that this is a wonderful time, and of course it will be exciting next year also. She is very happy. Both Victoria and Daniel are happy and Daniel is a very nice man.
Old 03-24-2009, 07:55 PM
Commoner

I got it right. My guess as to the next royal getting engaged!!! Well, the very best wishes for both Princess Victoria and Daniel Westling. She looks on cloud 9 with happiness and he looks smart but smiling very nervously - a big task lies ahead. Huge congratulations to both!!!!!
Old 03-24-2009, 11:47 PM
Royal Highness
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine View Post
FINALLY! Good Lord, I feel like we've all been waiting forever for this joyous news. My heartfelt congrats to the couple and may they have many long and happy years together.
Hahaha. I could not visit here for months, and when I saw the news I was really amazed! I was just believing it should never happen!

Vanesa.

Tags
crown princess victoria, daniel westling, engagement