The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-28-2009, 07:17 PM
Aristocracy

I too think Carl Philip should have remained crown prince.

Old 02-28-2009, 07:33 PM
Heir Apparent

While I am agreeing, that Carl Philip should have remained crown prince (a change for the next generation would have been much wiser for all involved), I am so glad, he isn´t. That´s so much not his piece of cake...

Old 02-28-2009, 10:38 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess may View Post
The paper "The Local" is reporting that the reaction to the engagement is lukewarm at best. If you look on the righthand side of the website, there is a gallery of people's "reactions" to the announcement. Papers give royal engagement a lukewarm reception - The Local

I have a question though: people have said that they "look good together". What does that mean? What are the criteria to look good together?
They have been together for so long they look like a matched set. We got used to seeing them together for so long..........JMHO However Victoria looked much happier than Daniel did.
Old 03-01-2009, 12:42 AM
Gentry

I think Daniel looked rather numb in the photos. I think the whole thing was happy but a bit surreal for him and he didn't quite know what to think of the whole thing. Victoria just glowed. All the best to them in the future. May they have many happy years together.
Old 03-01-2009, 03:18 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by norwegianne View Post
And Queen Elizabeth II's husband isn't called King either.

If I recall right, Prince Henrik just suddenly became The Prince Consort around 2005, so there was no automation in it. Before that, he was just referred to as "The Prince"

I think it is the case of following the modern precedent set in countries which Sweden is comparable to. Why re-invent the wheel with how Daniel is going to be addressed, when the Netherlands, Denmark and the UK have all had their heiresses being married in the generation before, and managed it without the world collapsing. (Prince Henrik's temper tantrum aside - that one had more to do with being ranked after his son in the precedence than the actual title he had.)
You have to remember that all of the Queen Regenants have been "accidental" monarchs; that is they only became monarchs because their predecessors died without leaving male heirs. Victoria is the first female heiress-apparent (all the others were heiress-presumptive) so they will learn from her situation and adress it hopefully for the next batch of heiress-apparent coming up.
Old 03-01-2009, 06:06 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHofNothing View Post
You have to remember that all of the Queen Regenants have been "accidental" monarchs . . . . . .
I don't quite understand your point.

1. Elizabeth II became Heir Apparent on the Coronation of her father.

2. Had she been a male "he" too would only have become Heir Apparent on the Coronation of his father.

2. Even had her Uncle not abdicated she was still 2nd in line.
Old 03-01-2009, 06:20 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post

No she became heiress presumtive the title for those where the male heir is missing in a male-preferring monarchy (eg Infanta Leonor will have this title in Spain when Felipe becomes King). After all the (remote) possibliltiy remains that the monarch will father a legitimate son who would take precedence.
Old 03-01-2009, 06:47 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post

No, Elizabeth became heiress presumptive (not heiress apparent) on her father's accession (not coronation).

Anyway, I still hope Daniel will be given the title of king. If they want gender equality, why should they think that the title of queen is inferior to the title of king?
Old 03-01-2009, 07:47 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Stuart Jeffries: Want to bag a Swedish princess? Become a personal trainer | Life and style | The Guardian

only time will tell what this development will mean for monarchies in general...
Old 03-01-2009, 08:02 AM
Heir Presumptive

Which 'development'? Heirs to the throne, Princes and Princesses of Royal Houses including the British, and a Swedish King have been marrying commoners for decades now.
I find the 'Guardian' article rather pompous in its high airs. There's hardly anything more 'common' than the heirs to the British throne stumbling out of nightclubs in the early morning hours, which I have no recollection of seeing any member of the allegedly 'lesser' Scandinavian Royal Family ever do.
Needless to say, Mr. Westling's current occupation is not personal trainer either but business man, co-owning his five Stoxkholm gyms, but what the heck.
It's funny when British columnists perpetuate the misguided view of the Windsor dynasty being in any way superior to their counterparts on the continent.
Old 03-01-2009, 09:31 AM
Heir Presumptive

The sad truth is that today the noble families of Europe have more "blue blood" than the royal families. In another generation we will be them and they will be us.
Old 03-01-2009, 10:05 AM
Serene Highness

New article about the wedding from Billed Bladet

Billed-Bladet - Victoria planner the wedding with Daniel's mother

http://princessesblog76.blogspot.fr/
Old 03-01-2009, 11:21 AM
Heir Apparent

Thanks for the links, Cecile76. I was wondering about the relationship between Victoria and Daniel's parents. It is very nice to hear that she is enjoying a close relationship with his mother, although, I truly wonder how much input his mother has in planning a royal wedding. I would imagine that her input is very small, considering all of the royal protocol and traditions that need to be followed.
Old 03-01-2009, 11:39 AM
Aristocracy

here are some more articles from the two big swedish newspapers:

Victoria och svärmor planerade bröllopet - Förlovningen - Expressen.se

På stan – som vanligt folk | Victoria gifter sig | Nyheter | Aftonbladet
Old 03-01-2009, 12:03 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris View Post
Which 'development'? Needless to say, Mr. Westling's current occupation is not personal trainer either but business man, co-owning his five Stoxkholm gyms, but what the heck.
The article was snobbish but Daniel is a personal trainer. Please don't tell me that you think he would have found investors for his business had not it been for his realtionship with Victoria. He has used his relationship for spectacular business advantage and there are still some who believe this Royal Marriage is nothing but a long term business stratergy for him,
Old 03-01-2009, 12:04 PM
Serene Highness

Yesterday morning they had breakfast with Daniel's parents in their hostel near Stockholm (photos ANP)

Hebergement gratuit d'images, heberger vos photos pour forum, msn et site sur casimages
Hebergement gratuit d'images, heberger vos photos pour forum, msn et site sur casimages

Old 03-01-2009, 12:08 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgl View Post
although, I truly wonder how much input his mother has in planning a royal wedding. I would imagine that her input is very small, considering all of the royal protocol and traditions that need to be followed.
I think what would be more telling is what Daniel's mothers input is in comparison to the Queens own input as the 'mother of the bride'.
Old 03-01-2009, 12:09 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by cécile76 View Post
Eeehm.... Drottningholm has 300??? rooms, Victoria lives in a Villa with lots of rooms at the estate and Daniel has a small house at Drottningholm estate as well, but
his family has to stay at a hotel?!?
Old 03-01-2009, 12:20 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinigirl View Post
Eeehm.... Drottningholm has 300??? rooms, Victoria lives in a Villa with lots of rooms at the estate and Daniel has a small house at Drottningholm estate as well, but
his family has to stay at a hotel?!?
According the article of expressen, the parents stay in that hotel because it's owned by one the daniel's best friend. They prefer to stay here than in the castle.

Old 03-01-2009, 12:27 PM
Heir Presumptive

Drottningholm Palace indeed has close to 300 rooms, Stockholm Palace has around 600 rooms (it used to be Europe's largest permanently lived-in Palace until the Royal Family moved to Drottningholm in 1982), but Victoria's apartment in an annexe consists of only two rooms, and the house on the estate rented by Daniel Westling is also very small - both of them just transitory places, obviously.
I think it's completely understandable that for reasons of privacy and comfort, the parents of Daniel and his sister stayed at a hotel owned by a friend.

Tags
crown princess victoria, daniel westling, engagement