The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden > Crown Princess Victoria, Prince Daniel and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-27-2009, 02:17 PM
Courtier

If this has been posted my apologies.

Gallery by CBS NEWS

Sweden's Princess Engaged Photos - CBS News

Old 02-27-2009, 02:30 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lena View Post
Somehow I am thinking, he should get "king" as title after the current king´s death....
I hope he will. What's the point of equal primogeniture if spouses of female monarchs aren't treated like spouses of male monarchs (the latter share their husband's title, while the former are merely princes)? The monarchy would fall out of balance: having as much queens regnant as kings + queens consort = much more queens than kings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lena View Post
but one also has to say, that Royalty is about everything, but equality. "Prince consort" has a tradition...and some traditions have to be kept.
Exactly! That's why they should have kept male-preferance primogeniture

Old 02-27-2009, 02:33 PM
Heir Presumptive

As Daniel Westling will not be styled Crown Prince after marrying The Crown Princess, he will not be styled King either once she becomes Queen regnant.
Old 02-27-2009, 02:39 PM
Nobility

I am aware of that, but does it make sense to you? What kind of "equality" is that?
Old 02-27-2009, 02:49 PM
Heir Presumptive

Again my Congratulations to All The Swedish People and the Beautiful couple may they Be married forever and have many Beautiful Children will their children be HRH or just H.H. Also will they have a Civil Wedding to wonder wholl officiate at the Wedding
Old 02-27-2009, 05:41 PM
Serene Highness

I hope their first child is a boy. Poor Prince Christian of Denmark will end up being the only King among a sea of Queens in years to come thanks to the changes in the law. I would have preferred the succession laws regarding males to have stayed the same as well. It would have been so much more interesting to have seen Carl-Philip get married and know his wife was going to be a future Queen than it is to watch Daniel Westling.
Old 02-27-2009, 06:10 PM
Nobility

I don't have anything against The Crown Princess or Daniel, but I agree with you. I dislike both Salic law and equal primogeniture (because there isn't much equality in it). Male-preferance seems best to me.

Christian will indeed be one of the few kings in the sea of queens. Even those kings who'll reign during his reign will have queens consort, while queens regnant most likely won't have kings consort. So it would be like 10 queens in Europe and 3-4 kings If they really want equality, then they should treat husbands of female monarchs like they treat wives of male monarchs.
Old 02-27-2009, 06:36 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by angela View Post
I hope their first child is a boy. Poor Prince Christian of Denmark will end up being the only King among a sea of Queens in years to come thanks to the changes in the law. I would have preferred the succession laws regarding males to have stayed the same as well. It would have been so much more interesting to have seen Carl-Philip get married and know his wife was going to be a future Queen than it is to watch Daniel Westling .
Maybe Christian would enjoy his role as the cock of the walk The little one though seems like a real boy, who is into cars and such...so maybe some support wouldn´t be bad.
Somehow Victoria and Daniel strike me so much as "boy parents"...with some couples, you simply "know", what sex most of their children would have...so I´d be surprised, if they would get a girl as first one or girls at all.
Now I´ve seen a pic of Daniel´s niece, who did celebrate her 5th birthday just on Tuesday, when her uncle was on TV all over. She is so cute, and remembering, how cute Victoria and Madeleine were...maybe hoping for a girl wouldn´t be bad though.

The Cinderella story, we had quite often in the past years...thinking of pix with a style-free Emma with a fag in her mouth...I am glad things are as they are. Also because I am doubtful, Carl Philip is meant for marriage...

The family had an other dinner tonight. Next to the Royal couple and the crown princess couple-to-be (or whatever they would be called as married couple ) Daniel´s parents + sister were present, Victoria´s siblings, Princess Christina + family, Princess Desiree with husband, Carl Johan Bernadotte with wife
http://82.115.132.101/Sites/SvDam/De...x?DataID=80939
Old 02-27-2009, 07:55 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
So, what sets Daniel apart as a commoner?
It seems that many have a different attitude to commoner women marrying princes than to commoner men marrying princesses. For some reason, it seems to bother people when the Cinderella story isn't fulfilled.

I am completely for equal primogeniture, why degrade women by saying that because of your sex, you will somehow be less capable as a monarch? No matter how anyone else tries to explain it, that's what male-preference laws comes down to. I know that those who don't agree with me will say that it is not about equality and that it is easier for crown princes, I'll just say this, Victoria has found her prince in Daniel and I think that she will be an excellent queen. And why get angry at the sex disparity? For hundreds of years, almost all monarchs were male!
Old 02-27-2009, 08:15 PM
Commoner

Thank you all for posting the lovely pictures & video of Victoria & Daniel.
Congratulations and best wishes for both of them
Can't wait for the wedding....
Old 02-27-2009, 08:52 PM
Aristocracy

Finally, what a long waits!
Old 02-27-2009, 09:13 PM
Courtier

I was wondering...in 2010 the princesses and future queens Amalia, Ingrid Alexandra and Elisabeth would be old enough to be the flower girls at Crown Princess Victoria's wedding. Isn't Victoria the godmother of almost all future heirs to throne? That would be so nice to see her godchildren acting as flowerchildren at their godmothers wedding. Oh how much I would love to see them all around Victoria's and Daniel's big day....
Old 02-27-2009, 09:14 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotroman View Post
I don't have anything against The Crown Princess or Daniel, but I agree with you. I dislike both Salic law and equal primogeniture (because there isn't much equality in it). Male-preferance seems best to me.

Christian will indeed be one of the few kings in the sea of queens. Even those kings who'll reign during his reign will have queens consort, while queens regnant most likely won't have kings consort. So it would be like 10 queens in Europe and 3-4 kings If they really want equality, then they should treat husbands of female monarchs like they treat wives of male monarchs.

What nonsense. They are just inane titles to begin with. Wives of kings have no power, not that kings have any power, either, today. Husbands of queens are princes or dustmen, but who cares, they will have a life stipends and do nothing, also.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:18 PM
Heir Apparent

More about the ring
Victoria to TT:
-It is a white diamond. I was very carefully, (so) that it would have a Kimberley Process Certificate

TT to Daniel: Did you already have the ring, when you went on your knees?
Mmm... (I guess this would mean yes )

TT to Victoria: And was it to your satisfaction directly?
In fact me had already said yes, before me had seen it. It doesn´t depend on the ring

http://brollop.menmo.se/arbetarblade...ml?newsId=7463
Old 02-27-2009, 09:19 PM
Courtier

I heard the happy news about Princess Victoria and Daniel Westling's engagement on Tuesday. She's finally engaged! Victoria looked so happy in the pictures. I was suprised to hear that they will get married in the summer of 2010. That's a long time from now. Like everyone else, I can't wait to see the royal wedding! Congratulations to Victoria and Daniel!
Old 02-27-2009, 09:24 PM
Aristocracy

COngratulations! Good news in a sea of not so good news (the economy & the wars) I think it will work out. Daniel will need time to adjust but i think he will. He will require time to learn things etc.
He reminds me of Cmdr Tim Laurence, the husbnd of Princess Anne. Now there is a man who has been a model of discretion. Never a scandal from him.
Old 02-28-2009, 12:39 AM
Courtier

Wow, FINALLY!!!!!! I guess with the economic downturn the world is going through right now, they decided to have it next year. I also think 1 1/2 years would help Daniel get accustomed to his new role.
Old 02-28-2009, 03:06 AM
Imperial Majesty

Victoria and Daniel celebrated their engagement with a family celebration last night at the Drottningholm Castle. According to Expressen, Queen Silvia had planned it for weeks. Daniel´s parents and her sister Anna were there, princess Madeleine with Jonas Bergström, prince Carl Philip, princess Christina, princess Desiree... Emma Pernald wasn´t there, she was ill.
Aftonbladet/Här festar de kungligt

More stories:
Expressen/Kungen höll tal för alla
Svensk Damtidning/Bara de närmaste var med på förlovningsmiddagen

Daniel Westling's family arrive to the Drottningholm castle for the engagement party
ANP Beeldbank
Jonas Bergström, Princess Madeleine and prince Carl Philip arrive to the Drottningholm castle
ANP Beeldbank
ANP Beeldbank
Daniel Westling gave his first interview to newspaper Expressen after the engagement to Crown Princess Victoria was announced. He has gone back to his routine and daily life at his Gym Balance Training in central Stockholm. Expressen met him after his lunch break in the city and he said he is extremely happy and that he understands what is expected of him. He will do his very best in his work and support next to the Crown Princess.
ANP Beeldbank
ANP Beeldbank
ANP Beeldbank
ANP Beeldbank
ANP Beeldbank

Hola!/DANIEL WESTLING: DE ENTRENADOR PERSONAL A FUTURO PRÍNCIPE DE SUECIA
Old 02-28-2009, 06:34 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by angela View Post
I hope their first child is a boy. Poor Prince Christian of Denmark will end up being the only King among a sea of Queens in years to come thanks to the changes in the law. I would have preferred the succession laws regarding males to have stayed the same as well. It would have been so much more interesting to have seen Carl-Philip get married and know his wife was going to be a future Queen than it is to watch Daniel Westling.
We have had a number of Crown Princes getting married in recent years and seeing their wives transform from into into future queens. I therefore think that on this occassion where we have a Crown Princess in her own right getting married is interesting in itself.

I do agree with you that seeing a woman transform into a fairytale princess is probably more interesting for some people than a man transforming into a prince (he'll have even better cut suits, higher quality ties?!). However, I think people are just going to have to put up with the fact that the Swedish succession laws rightly or wrongly are what they are and as such, Crown Princess Victoria should be just as highly regarded as her male counterparts.

As for little Prince Christian of Denmark, I'm not sure he will be too bothered about being practically the only King amongst all those Queens. However, I do feel that he will find it easier to find a spouse than his female counterparts.
Old 02-28-2009, 07:07 AM
Commoner

About bloodly time! Congratulations to Victoria and Daniel from the other side of the world!

Tags
crown princess victoria, daniel westling, engagement