The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden > Crown Princess Victoria, Prince Daniel and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-24-2009, 09:50 PM
Aristocracy

Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy for them. It's just kind of funny when I hear about the royal houses becoming more "democratic" by the influx of non-royals when there's nothing at all democratic about hereditary monarchy.

Old 02-24-2009, 10:33 PM
Gentry

I think its nice that the ring is beautiful, simple and not overstated. It looks like maybe a carat or two?
I'm tired of garrish, overstated engagement rings. I like it a lot.
I borrowed this link from another post...
http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/9905/000050a2.jpg

Old 02-24-2009, 10:37 PM

Hallelujah! Finally!
#3 lest we forget
Old 02-24-2009, 10:37 PM
Gentry

But there are hand-holding pics, if they were too affectionate, people would say Victoria was being inappropriate. She looks so happy.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:45 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by btsnyder View Post
Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy for them. It's just kind of funny when I hear about the royal houses becoming more "democratic" by the influx of non-royals when there's nothing at all democratic about hereditary monarchy.
Well, at least these days, royals can choose for themselves who to marry, or at least who not to marry. And there aren't as many royals around these days as it was in the old days anyway.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:49 PM
Aristocracy

Congratulations to victoria and daniel!!!!!
Old 02-24-2009, 11:18 PM
Aristocracy

Congratulation to Princess Victoria and Daniel, they both looked so happy.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:28 PM
Nobility

CONGRATULATIONS to both of them!!
Old 02-24-2009, 11:32 PM
Heir Presumptive

I just think this yoiung woman is really lovely and an absolute credit to her parents so with that in mind and not the thought of how diappointed I am that she has made this choice I wish her the best of all that is important. He is a commoner and I just cannot find the reply that went on about we are all human or some such thing[ hope I am in the correct forum when saying that] but that is rather a silly observation as we in a Royal Forum here and their is such a thing as royal blood and commoner so I inagine we just have to put up with that. Anyway good luck to this charming young woman she looks just gorgeous.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:50 PM
Gentry

I have to say congrats to them and I wish them the best. I hope this is the beginning of more great news from Sweden.
Old 02-25-2009, 01:18 AM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Picture of the Month Representative - Luxembourg
Royal Blogger

First: Finally!!

Second, Congratulations are definately in order for the Crown Princess and her fianc

Victoria looked so happy at both press conferences, and her outfits were both lovely. Daniel also looked very pleased too.

Old 02-25-2009, 01:39 AM
Commoner

omg im so happy for both of them! Finally!! Congratulations to Victoria and Daniel. he seems shy n nervous (which is understandable) at the pressconference.
p/s: the ring is simply beautiful. perfect for her i think
Old 02-25-2009, 02:02 AM
Courtier

The balance between marrying other royals and marrying commoners is very delicate. Ideally royal houses should have some alternation between the two, because while it may be important to maintain the royal mystique, it is also very important to actually have ties to the country and its people over which you claim rulership.

Many Congratulations to the Crown Princess and the future of the House of Bernadotte!
Old 02-25-2009, 02:16 AM
Courtier

My congratulations to the couple! Victoria looks so happy and they do seem very well-suited to each other.

I suppose only the CPs of Belgium's kids, William and Harry, and some of the Liechtenstein kids remain fairly blue-blooded these days. As a lover of genealogy and history, I think it's a pity that these royal bloodlines will eventually die out.

Still, times have really changed. Being a King or Queen is anachronistic and the notion of being born royal is really archaic. You are born with a job already waiting for you and don't have the choice of professions that everyone else has. Some may see glamour when they see today's monarchs and royals but I've only ever seen people sacrificing so much for their country (at least for the hardworking ones). Since most of their freedom of choice has been taken from them, I think it's only fair to give them total choice in the matter of choosing the persons they'd spend the rest of their lives with. Victoria has been an absolute asset to Sweden and she truly embodies what service to country means. In the end, it doesn't matter if she's half-commoner, half-royal or a quarter royal, three-fourths commoner or what have you. In every way that matters, she is a genuine Princess of Sweden.

As of now, I suppose it is safe to predict the death of royalty. But we don't really know what's going to happen in the future. Endism is a dangerous thing. Events may develop that would render republics irrelevant and countries may need monarchies again. But maybe in the future, we might just see a redefinition of what it means to be King or Queen. Maybe blood won't be as important as sense of commitment and duty to one's people and country. In that case, future royals can certainly look to Victoria as a role model.

Old 02-25-2009, 02:40 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenia8 View Post
I was under the impression that because Victoria is royal, she would be the one to officially propose. Didn't Queen Victoria of England have to be the one to propose to Prince Albert? What about QEII and QMII - did they have to be the ones to propose to Prince Phillip and Prince Henrick respectively?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josefine View Post
the engagemnt at the perez hilton site
Perez Hilton: Princess Victoria of Sweden Engaged to a Meathead
what does he mean by Meathead
I'm surprised they are even on his radar! He's low class to say the least. I define 'Meathead' as a slang term that refers to an athlete that isn't very smart. It's very harsh to criticize Daniel like that. One would have to be smart to run a successful business, and one would assume Daniel's gym is successful if it attracted CP Victoria.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonjapearl View Post
I just realized its 10 days after Valentine's Day. Why didn't they do this then? Make it more romantic!

Or, maybe Daniel did propose on V-Day.
I was thinking it had more to do with Lent? The 24th is Fat Tuesday, the day before Ash Wednesday and the beginning of the Lenten season. I don't know the specifics of the Swedish royal family's religious practices, but Lent is usually a time for austerity and not for celebrations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by principessa View Post
I think that we will have next two year the next swedish engagements. In 2010 Prince Carl Philipp will get engaged and will marry in 2011 and 2011 Princess Madeleine will get engaged to Jonas Bergstrm and will marry in 2012.
I've been thinking that this paves the way for Carl & Madeleine to marry their respective sig-others. I read once that they couldn't marry until Victoria marries. I wonder how quickly engagement announcments and weddings follow Victoria & Daniel's.
Old 02-25-2009, 02:51 AM
Nobility

I litterally SCREAMED when I heard this!!!!

AHHHHHH!!!!

Yay yay yay yay!!!!

Old 02-25-2009, 03:11 AM
Majesty

its seems that they had a dinner with the families at drotningholm
victoria and daniel also went to see princess lilian and tell the news.

papers say that there will be a party this wekkend for friends and family

do you think the engagment was a well kept secret or did you have an ide thta is was comming?
for the other royal couple were there a heads up that a engagment was comming, i cant remember
Old 02-25-2009, 03:19 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Monaco and Sweden

Congratulations to this very lovely couple

Here's a picture gallery from German BUNTE:

Ich hab' nur Ja, Ja, Ja gesagt

(The caption says: I've only said "Yes,Yes")
Old 02-25-2009, 04:49 AM
Aristocracy

Finnally hell seems like it took forever..thanx for the good news..MAY THEY BE HAPPY 4EVER...Congratulations from Austria TOO
Old 02-25-2009, 05:02 AM
Commoner

Congratulations!

Tags
crown princess victoria, daniel westling, engagement