The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden > Crown Princess Victoria, Prince Daniel and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-24-2009, 02:21 PM
Courtier

Although I've been waiting for this for some time, I have to say that I really was surprised by the engagement news, I'm very happy that they finnaly decided to get engaged and married. Congratulations to them, I really wish them all the happiness.

Old 02-24-2009, 02:22 PM
Aristocracy

Princess Victoria and Daniel engagement photos24 February « Myroyal’s Blog
Old 02-24-2009, 02:22 PM
Royal Highness

To those of you who do not like Daniel Westling, think him a nobody or think that Victoria could do better, I presume you will be writing to Crown Princess Victoria about your thoughts and no doubt would be prepared to hear her her response!
Old 02-24-2009, 02:23 PM
Courtier

I will also like to say congratulations to Victoria and Daniel and wish them a happy and helathy marriage.

Somthing i don´t get is why the King says yes to the marriage now..they have been together for 7 years..

The King´s resistance towards the relationship betwen Victoria and Daniel was that Daniel was an ordenary swedish and not nobel man.
Befor the King and Queen became married Queen Silvia was also an ordenary and not a nobel lady,so why the resistance ?
I simply don´t get it.

Old 02-24-2009, 02:24 PM
Commoner

Congrats to them. And about time if you ask me. They've been together for seven years. Was a little amazed by the thought of a long engagement, but I'm not that into the whole etiquet in the Royal House of Sweden.
Old 02-24-2009, 02:26 PM
Gentry

Interesting article:
Daniel 'wasn't sure of a yes' - The Local
Old 02-24-2009, 02:28 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Norway & Spain
Royal Blogger

Does anyone know if there'll be something like an engagement dinner or gala?

Old 02-24-2009, 02:29 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avicenna View Post
First of all Congratulations to the couple. Victoria definitly looked ravishing & happy.

Just one question (since I do not speak or understand the Swedish language). On the Bunte site it is mentioned that Daniel proposed during summer, somewhere in the close to Drottingholm, and she said yes, yes, yes ... is truly true? It appears like a long time to wait through today for an announcement.
I saw the interview from the press conference at RTL Exklusiv at Victorias answers was "he proposed at Drottningholm, in the nature...... it was soooo beautiful!"
Nothing was said about that that happend already in summer, IMO it would be weird to wait until the end of February if you want to get married in spring, when that means that you have to wait until 2010.
I think he proposed a few days ago.
Old 02-24-2009, 02:30 PM
Nobility

CONGRATULATIONS to the happy copple I see for the photo's!!!
Old 02-24-2009, 02:33 PM
Courtier

I have read his title will be Prince Daniel, Duke of Vastergotland
Old 02-24-2009, 02:40 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Representative - Morocco

wow!!this is a great news Congratulations to the couple,hope for them all the best.
Old 02-24-2009, 02:42 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinigirl View Post
I saw the interview from the press conference at RTL Exklusiv at Victorias answers was "he proposed at Drottningholm, in the nature...... it was soooo beautiful!"
Nothing was said about that that happend already in summer, IMO it would be weird to wait until the end of February if you want to get married in spring, when that means that you have to wait until 2010.
I think he proposed a few days ago.
Thanks, jinigirl, for your reply. Tells a lot about the quality of Bunte ...

Not sure if it happened a few days ago. Could have been just prior before he moved to the Drottingholm premises last year.
Old 02-24-2009, 02:51 PM
Commoner

As jinigirl mentioned before, there was a small report on RTL Exklusiv

You’ll find it here: http://rtl-now.rtl.de/exclusiv.php?film_id=10743&player=1&na=1 it’s at about 4:25
Old 02-24-2009, 02:54 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avicenna View Post
Thanks, jinigirl, for your reply. Tells a lot about the quality of Bunte ...

Not sure if it happened a few days ago. Could have been just prior before he moved to the Drottingholm premises last year.
He moved to Drottningholm in July 2008, why should they wait for 8 month to announce the engagement. 2 or 3 weeks, maybe 1 month, that makes sense, but 8 month to announce the wedding, and than wait for 1 1/2 year to get married?!?

Afaik WA proposed to Maxima in the end of January 2001, and they'll get officially engaged in March 2001.
Old 02-24-2009, 03:03 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHofNothing View Post
Congratulations to Victoria and Daniel and their families.

I wonder about the thoughts going through Daniel Collert's head today..

Mr. Westling would have not been my choice- but it was Victoria's choice and if he makes her happy and content....

The Queen had a fake smiled plastered over her face- am not sure if this is the result of any dislike of Daniel or the result of her latest "visit" back home...
I think both the King and Queen seemed a little awkward. Every now and then when they forgot to smile they seemed a bit unhappy. Then again, they both are always a bit nervous when they appear in public so it might just have been the situation altogether.

While it is true that the Queen used to be a commoner, she does take her role and position seriously. Maybe she feels she is a true royal, trained to her profession and perhaps slightly by blood. She was from a more upper class family than Daniel. I even remember reading her mother had some noble ancestry or something.

Even if the parents are not hundred percent happy with the choices their children make regarding spouses, there always comes a time when parents must simply comply and respect their choices. There's always a risk, no relationship is certain.

I wish V & D all the best! Does anyone know if there's a banquet or something tonight? I'd hate to think they got all dressed up for the press meeting and that was that. Just a dinner with the folks and head back home.
Old 02-24-2009, 03:04 PM
Imperial Majesty

Daniel Westling told more details about the proposal, it happened at the winter:
- It was a lovely sunny day, the ice crunched so wonderful as it does on the Drottningholm occasionally.
- It was a fantastic atmosphere, I was well nervous. I was hoping for a yes, but I was not quite sure.
Crown Princess hesitated not the answer:
- It was a yes, yes, yes, Victoria said happily.
Old 02-24-2009, 03:05 PM
Gentry

Well, we must consider the era. People tend to want to live "together" these days before they marry- She also is facing a great amount of pressure to choose wisely- She will be queen, not crownprincess forever. Also, Sweden is not a country where people rush into marriages- like they do here, in the US. They try to make the right choice the first time. Why marry because people think you should and have to divorce a few years, and a few children into it? I'm very happy for Victoria- and hopefully this means Madeleine and CP can marry soon as well- since speculation is that at least one of them has been wanting to.
Old 02-24-2009, 03:07 PM
Heir Apparent

One word: finally
Old 02-24-2009, 03:11 PM
Serene Highness

that's great news!!!!!! Congratulations to the happy couple!
Does anyone know why they won't marry until 2010, it seems so far away to me!

Tags
crown princess victoria, daniel westling, engagement