Daniel's Future: Discussion (his role, title, orders, pressure etc.)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:previous:

Chances are that 'Daniel Olof' was a typo (knowing some of the mistakes the current PR department of the SRF has made, I wouldn't be surprised). Daniel's first name is Olof, his second is Daniel (that is how he and Victoria said their vows on Saturday) - but he uses Daniel as his name though. This doesn't alter the official/legal order of his names, unless he legally changes it.

I don't know why they've included both Westling and Bernadotte as his last names in the biography, when the other members of the family don't have Bernadotte listed as part of their name. Odd - maybe to signify that he married into the family? Also possibly to some how keep the Westling name attached to him, to keep it running?

Last edited:
I know I am probably lagging behind with this question but at what point in the proceedings was he given the Order of the Seraphim? All I noticed was that he entered the church not wearing the insignia and came out wearing it.

I know I am probably lagging behind with this question but at what point in the proceedings was he given the Order of the Seraphim? All I noticed was that he entered the church not wearing the insignia and came out wearing it.

It was affixed to his jacket when the couple was in the vestibule of the church after the wedding. I noticed that the doors were closed (between the vestibule and the church) after them and then when the outside doors of the cathedral were opened a few minutes later, he was wearing the order & sash.

according to my newspaper Westling is now one of Daniels middlenames and Bernadotte is his lastname - not a double lastname.

according to my newspaper Westling is now one of Daniels middlenames and Bernadotte is his lastname - not a double lastname.
I believe there will be some fallout from this exception to swedish names that has been granted Daniel. In Sweden you are not allowed to have a last name as a middle name. My son and many friends in the US have given their children the mothers last name as the middle name and the fathers name as the last name. When we file for Swedish passport that middle name is not allowed therefore the Swedish passport only state first and last and consequently does not agree with birth certificates or US passports.

Once Victoria become queen she will lose her Duchess title?

Therefore Daniel will lose his Duke title as well?

Once Victoria become queen she will lose her Duchess title?

Therefore Daniel will lose his Duke title as well?

I don't think she'll lose it, she'll just cease to be referred to by it, similar to how it is in the UK. Before she became queen, she was The Princess Elizabeth, Duchess of Edinburgh. After she became queen, she was just The Queen; not HM The Queen, Duchess of Edinburgh. A Queen has a higher rank than a Duchess, so it was dropped. She's still the Duchess of Edinburgh as she's married to the Duke of Edinburgh, but that's not her title anymore.

So I believe the same would apply. As for Daniel, I don't know what he'll be called as there hasn't been a Queen Regnant in Sweden for a long time and I believe the last one was unmarried. I think the convention of the husband of the Queen Regnant being the Prince Consort will happen here as well, although I don't know. There was no precedent for the titles they gave Daniel that he currently has, so we may be shocked, we may not.

I don't think she'll lose it, she'll just cease to be referred to by it, similar to how it is in the UK. Before she became queen, she was The Princess Elizabeth, Duchess of Edinburgh. After she became queen, she was just The Queen; not HM The Queen, Duchess of Edinburgh. A Queen has a higher rank than a Duchess, so it was dropped. She's still the Duchess of Edinburgh as she's married to the Duke of Edinburgh, but that's not her title anymore.

So I believe the same would apply. As for Daniel, I don't know what he'll be called as there hasn't been a Queen Regnant in Sweden for a long time and I believe the last one was unmarried. I think the convention of the husband of the Queen Regnant being the Prince Consort will happen here as well, although I don't know. There was no precedent for the titles they gave Daniel that he currently has, so we may be shocked, we may not.

But the Title Duke of Edinbrugh was given to Philip not not toe the Queen. she was Duchess of Edinbrugh as his wife. And the biritsh royak titles can be inherited. The swedish royal titles are personal and the ducal title was given to Vicotoria and Daniel can use itt as her husband.

I think he´s a really nice guy´and Victoria seems very happy with him..
But I wonder if he will be able to handle living in the spotlight... I meen, Victoria is used to it but for a "normal" guy it must be very strange and uncomfortable.

You know Yennie, you might be on to something. I mean, he does appear to be a rather nice and decent gentleman... at least as far as I've read/seen of him. However, when it really comes right down to it, the newest Prince Charming is kinda in a class on his own. By that I mean he has no real contemporary of comparable/gender equal. In the past few years, Europe has enjoyed a succession of intelligent, down-to-earth, albeit beautiful princesses (from Crown Princess Mathilde of Belgium in 1999 to Princess Marie of Denmark in 2008). The last time a prince married into an established dynasty was (please correct me if I'm wrong) 43-years ago in 1967 when the French diplomat Henri de Laborde de Monpezat married the future Queen Margrethe II of Denmark. That says nothing for the now 63-year marriage of Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip (who, now that I think about it, doesn't even count because, despite Prince Philip relinquishing his Greek ties and titles, he was actually born a royal prince and descended from a very healthy does of blue-blood.

What can be done to help him and ensure that he doesn't crumble under the heavy shroud of majesty? I would hate for him to suffer from depression and other ailments (as did the late Prince Claus, consort of Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands) because of an inability to adjust to the rigidity of Court protocol and the media glare. I mean, even the most casual observer needn't point to the turmoil that plagued some commoners-turned-royalty of recent memory... PS, I'll give you two hints: Both were princesses married to the heir apparent. One is alive and unwell, the other is... hmm, with any luck she's resting in eternal peace.

At the wedding Daniel will be HRH Prins Daniel of Sweden, Duke of Västergötland as Victoria, HRH The Crown Princess, already are the Duchess of Västergötland. In the future when Victoria will be Sweden's Head of State, a rouling Queen, then will Daniel have the title HRH The Prince Consort, Daniel of Sweden. (See Denmark for ex).

If the Swedes follow the established system as their cousins (the British), then it can be expected that upon the solemnization of the marriage, the former Daniel Westling will become His Royal Highness Daniel, Prince of Sweden and Duke of Västergötland. He will maintain this formal style until his wife ascends the throne (provided that she does ascend the throne and that Daniel is still alive, or that the couple are even still married. At the point of Victoria's ascension to the throne, Prince Daniel will possibly become His Royal Highness The Prince Consort.

Not sure that's possible. Perhaps it's not possible constitutionally.

Prince Charles is not styled "Crown Prince", and neither Diana or Camilla are/were styled "Crown Princess".

I still think he should be Crownprince Daniel.

He is not the Heir to the Throne, so he cannot be called Crown Prince.

Not sure that's possible. Perhaps it's not possible constitutionally.

Prince Charles is not styled "Crown Prince", and neither Diana or Camilla are/were styled "Crown Princess".

That's because he has Prince Of Wales, which is sort of the equivalent to the title Crown Prince. :)

He is not the Heir to the Throne, so he cannot be called Crown Prince.

Maxima, Mathilde, Mary and Mette Marit are not Heirs to the thrones either but are titled Crownprincess.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maxima, Mathilde, Mary and Mette Marit are not Heirs to the thrones either but are titled Crownprincess.

Take the example of other male consorts: Henrik and Philip have always been Princes. I believe that is because King outranks Queen, there is no title such as King Consort.

The M´s can be styled Crown Princess (and Letizia Princess of Asturias) because they are heirs to the throne as Queen Consorts not as Queen Regent likeVictoria will. Prince for Daniel and Duke of something is just fine!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back to when Daiel was given his titles. At one point during the ceremony one of the clergy handed Daniel an envelope, which he turned and gave to Prince Carl Philip. I assumed this was the time of his "name change", and the envelope contained the Royal Orders and Sash. But I am not from Sweden and this is just my opinion.

Back to when Daiel was given his titles. At one point during the ceremony one of the clergy handed Daniel an envelope, which he turned and gave to Prince Carl Philip. I assumed this was the time of his "name change", and the envelope contained the Royal Orders and Sash. But I am not from Sweden and this is just my opinion.

The order of Seraphim and the sash were at the altar during the wedding, they were shown at the TV-broadcast:
Fotobanka CTK

Thank you LadyFinn, I see them now on the round table. Right? I just didn't know what they were then. Well what then did the Priest give to Daniel that he turned around and gave Prince Carl Philip

Last edited:
Probably in the envelope there was the marriage certificate.
I am saying this based on experience when I got married and other friends got married. The pastor gave us the certificate in an envelope.

This brings me to another point about the ceremony: in most weddings I have been to at some point the bride and groom + witnesses have to sign something- a register or a form etc. They also do in the few royal weddings I have seen on TV (Felipe-Letizia, Phillipe-Mathilde, Charles-Diana etc.) IN the Victoria-Daniel wedding there was no signing.
Also there was no best man , maid of honour.

Any swedes out there who can shed light on the ritual used?

I am saying this based on experience when I got married and other friends got married. The pastor gave us the certificate in an envelope.

This brings me to another point about the ceremony: in most weddings I have been to at some point the bride and groom + witnesses have to sign something- a register or a form etc. They also do in the few royal weddings I have seen on TV (Felipe-Letizia, Phillipe-Mathilde, Charles-Diana etc.) IN the Victoria-Daniel wedding there was no signing.

Yeah, I thought Carl Philip acted as best man, he walked into the church with Daniel and not with his mum and sister

Thank you LadyFinn, I see them now on the round table. Right? I just didn't know what they were then. Well what then did the Priest give to Daniel that he turned around and gave Prince Carl Philip

.....his phone number ....?:whistling:

So what exactly will he be expected to do? Will he be traveling all over the world making appearances? I hope that his new job description does not take him away from Victoria too much. I think too much time away can lead to a change of heart for some. I would hate to see them separated for long periods of time.

He'll be doing what a royal spouse should do, accompanying his wife when needed, such as on state tours etc.
But he should be carving out his own royal image, with his own royal patronges and agenda.

Also at the royal Weddings in Denmark and Norway the bruidal Couples didn't have to sign a register.

Daniel's title is perfect and equivalent to other consorts. It's the royal men's fate that they will not be called King as consorts although their female counterparts will receive the title of Queen (the appendix "consort" is rarely mentioned).

As we can see in a few other examples (imo) Daniel as a person is very suitable to Victoria but not suited to royal life in the long run. I think life will be increasingly difficult for him in years to come. Its clear that this couple is deeply in love and that Victoria takes care of / protects Daniel in every possible way but I doubt its enough. There is only a certain degree up to where people can rape their own character and try to accommodate what is being asked of them, even with the support of the partner (who -as heir and later Head of State- will have deal with different kind of pressure).

I think a lot will depend on how Daniel will be able to cope with the media invasion and the pressure that results from that. Not today, not tomorrow, but in years to come.

I have looked all the TV-interviews and read the newspaper interviews of Victoria and Daniel before the wedding. I think that nowadays Daniel is quite comfortable with the media and he has already visions of what he will concentrate in the future. He is interested in health issues, especially of the young people, and he has said that he wants also to deal with entrepreneurship and sport issues. I think that Daniel is very sure of himself, he doesn´t need Victoria to protect him. He has just laid on the background until he is a member of the royal family. As we could see from his speech to Victoria, he is totally capable of performing in front of big crowds.
He also said that he has grown up in a family with total equality, and for him it's no problem to go one, two or ten steps behind Victoria - and still maintain his selfrespect. I think that he and Victoria have during these eight and half years when they have been a couple grown a very special relationship where they are quite equal with a huge mutual respect.

I have looked all the TV-interviews and read the newspaper interviews of Victoria and Daniel before the wedding. I think that nowadays Daniel is quite comfortable with the media and he has already visions of what he will concentrate in the future. He is interested in health issues, especially of the young people, and he has said that he wants also to deal with entrepreneurship and sport issues. I think that Daniel is very sure of himself, he doesn´t need Victoria to protect him. He has just laid on the background until he is a member of the royal family. As we could see from his speech to Victoria, he is totally capable of performing in front of big crowds.
He also said that he has grown up in a family with total equality, and for him it's no problem to go one, two or ten steps behind Victoria - and still maintain his selfrespect. I think that he and Victoria have during these eight and half years when they have been a couple grown a very special relationship where they are quite equal with a huge mutual respect.

Same thoughts here. I don't think Victoria will let him walk 3 steps behind her, at the most only 1. Once he goes with the flow I believe she is more than happy to give him the space he deserves.

Same thoughts here. I don't think Victoria will let him walk 3 steps behind her, at the most only 1. Once he goes with the flow I believe she is more than happy to give him the space he deserves.

I think many royals walk side by side not really taking the above seriously, I could be wrong but it was once a protocol rule.

Back
Top Bottom