The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden > Crown Princess Victoria, Prince Daniel and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-29-2006, 06:44 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixer2002de
So you think that Viktoria is of submissive nature?
:p

We don't know what's going on in the gym when the light is off.

Old 05-08-2006, 04:24 AM

:) I still like the Prince Consort idea but some interesting views, especially the Queen Victoria, Mrs Westling. Similar to Princess Anne, Mrs Philips or Princess Astrid, Mrs Ferner, but on a completly different level:)

God Save The Queen!

Old 05-08-2006, 05:33 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalProtocol
:) I still like the Prince Consort idea but some interesting views, especially the Queen Victoria, Mrs Westling.
I don't think it would be fair to Daniel that, if he's the Monarch's consort then he has to get a title like every european princess-by-marriage
Old 05-08-2006, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisiñaki
I don't think it would be fair to Daniel that, if he's the Monarch's consort then he has to get a title like every european princess-by-marriage
of course I do agree but the other idea was amusing.

God Save The Queen!

Old 05-10-2006, 03:42 PM
Aristocracy

Sweden seems to be always ahead of other countries when it comes to equality issues. So maybe King-Consort. Title hasn't been used for hundreds of years.
Old 05-10-2006, 04:45 PM
Aristocracy

it may also depend on the terms and conditions of the marriage.

it's always been taken for granted that Daniel, like all the crown princesses, will drop his business and become a supporting part of his spouse and the royal circus.

but if Daniel insists to continue his chain of gyms and Victoria and Daniel together makes it clear they want babies, the King won't have much of a choice unless he wants to see Victoria as a single mum.

it would be unpoliticly correct to dispose Victoria from the heir position just because she has babies outside of marriage, since many Swedes don't marry before having children.

the King could invent a ''lower'' title (for his business card ), like ''Mr. Daniel Westling, Spouse of HRH the Crown Princess'', or ''His Graciousness Mr. Daniel Westling'', just so that he won't be able to capitalise too much on his princely title when doing business.

when Victoria succeeds the King she can take a gruesome revenge and promote him to ''His Majesty My King Daniel''.
Old 05-10-2006, 05:20 PM
Courtier

Afaik she would fall out of the line of succession and none of her children could be heir :(
Old 05-10-2006, 06:53 PM
Aristocracy

i came up with a new title, i just had to tell the world before i go to bed:

His Common Highness Prince Daniel
(possibly with the surname Mr. Westling)

he could also be
His Common Highness, Mr. Crown Princess Victoria, Daniel Westling

i think many courts should have adopted the HCH title as they took in new members into the royal family.

like a kind of probation title with a possible later ''upgrade'' if they fulfill the expectations.

mixer2002de: what does afaik mean :(

as we live in the 21st century the king, who is a king ''for sweden in current times'' (i don't quite know how to translate his motto), couldn't skip Victoria as the heir just because she wants to do what every other Swede does.
Old 05-10-2006, 07:35 PM
Aristocracy

Maybe he can be styled and addressed like the husbands of the Infantas of Spain?

HE (His Excellency) Daniel Westling
Old 05-11-2006, 05:24 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress
Does anyone know if he has a middle name that could be used? Something more traditional.

He could also, as Henrik and several others, change his name to something more traditional
Isn't Daniel a name from the bible? As in "Daniel and the lion's den?" - IMHO the name is pretty fitting and very traditional....
Old 05-11-2006, 05:34 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo of Palatine
Isn't Daniel a name from the bible? As in "Daniel and the lion's den?" - IMHO the name is pretty fitting and very traditional....
It is a biblical name yes. It's Hebrew meaning "God is my judge". At least that is what this web-site claims; http://www.behindthename.com/php/sea...n&terms=daniel

Old 05-11-2006, 05:36 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixer2002de
Afaik she would fall out of the line of succession and none of her children could be heir :(
Interesting question. The current "Act of Succession" says that the "descendants" have a right to the throne - not legitimate descendants (as for example in the Danish act of succession. But it says that the princes and princesses need the authorization to marry from king and parliament if their children should stay in the line to the throne.

One could argue that if CP gets pregnant and she is not married, the child inherits her rights (as it clearly is a "descendant of the current king) while if the princess marries without the permission andhas a child, the child looses its place in line.

It sounds strange and I guess you need a Swedish lawyer specialized in Consitutional law to tell if the word "descendant" is reserved only to legitimate offspring or not.
Old 05-11-2006, 05:48 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownPrinceLorenzo
Maybe he can be styled and addressed like the husbands of the Infantas of Spain?

HE (His Excellency) Daniel Westling
That's also a great suggestion.

I believe the Excellency title is mostly used for foreign ambassadors here in Sweden.

What do you think of ''His Excellent Highness Prince Daniel Westling''

I'm coming around to think it would be easier to give him a title like Duke of Västergötland while he's married to the crown princess. then she can upgrade him when she becomes the queen and the people has gotten accustomed to him.
Old 05-11-2006, 06:07 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daneborn
That's also a great suggestion.

I believe the Excellency title is mostly used for foreign ambassadors here in Sweden.

What do you think of ''His Excellent Highness Prince Daniel Westling''

I'm coming around to think it would be easier to give him a title like Duke of Västergötland while he's married to the crown princess. then she can upgrade him when she becomes the queen and the people has gotten accustomed to him.
In my opinion the title should be rather equal to that of the princess - if the king is against a son-in-law Daniel, then he should say so and forbid the marriage but if he okays it, he really should show that he accepts his son-in-law and not make him into a second-class Royal.

That, I'm convinced, would be the wrong signal from a man who himself has married a commoner. It would show to the Swedish people that while the German commoner Silvia was good enough to become Her Majesty, Swedish born commoner Damiel is not good enough to become a "Royal Highness".
Could probably cause some problems with the Swedes...

As for the problem of a potential divorce: there are all kinds of possibilities to work out solutions for any upcoming event in the marriage contract. Eg as consort of the Crown princess Daniel is known as Mr. Daniel Westling, if that's the way it works in Sweden today? How does the name-law in Sweden works nowadays?

Here in Germany, the couple can decide to use either the name of the husband, the name of the wife or select one as family name and one can use his former name combined in a double name.

Eg Prinz von Hohenzollern marries Herzogin von Wuerttemberg, they could decide leave it as it is, or to be Prinz and Prinzessin von Hohenzollern or Herzog und Herzogin von Wuerttemberg or Prinz von Hohenzollern und Prinzessin von Hohenzollern-Herzogin von Wuerttemberg or Herzog von Wuerrtemberg-Prinz von Hohenzollern and Herzogin von Wuerttemberg. The kids bear only the name both decided to use as family name.

So in Germany, CP Victoria & Daniel could become CP Victoria of Sweden and Mr. Westling or Mr. and Mrs. Westling or Crown Princess Victoria and Crown Prince Daniel of Sweden. In the first case they would have to settle the question which name is the family name - of Sweden or Westling. Or Bernadotte? Maybe even that.

But: all these decisions have nothing to do with titles, as they exist in Germany not anymore.

I wonder how this is in Sweden? What possibilities are there for the normal citizen?

Other possibilities for the marriage contract: On becoming the father of the future king or queen Daniel is elevated to the rank of "His Royal Highness" and Prince of the kingdom of Sweden. In case of a divorce before becoming father, he is still Mr. Westling, in the other case he may keep name and title or exchange it to a lower one or whatever...
Old 05-11-2006, 06:13 AM
Gentry

Prince Daniel, Prince consort?
Old 05-11-2006, 06:57 AM
Nobility

Maybe he wouldn't want a title .
Old 05-11-2006, 07:02 AM
Commoner

There was talk with both Mary of Denmark and Princess Diana that they had to undergo a fertility test before getting engaged. Do you think the Swedish court would want to test Daniel's swimmers?
Old 05-11-2006, 03:50 PM
Heir Presumptive

I Had heard about Diana and her test But Mary too!!?? :O
Old 05-11-2006, 04:03 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane1
There was talk with both Mary of Denmark and Princess Diana that they had to undergo a fertility test before getting engaged. Do you think the Swedish court would want to test Daniel's swimmers?
It is simply not tru that rumour about a fertility test for Mary come on fokes we are living in the year 2006. Ther is no reason for them to make a test like that it is plain stupid.

Old 05-11-2006, 04:21 PM
Aristocracy

For Daniel's own sake it would be a great relief to do the fertility test BEFORE getting married instead of having to deal with the tremendous load of pressure to produce an heir.

It's not a stupid idea at all

Tags
daniel westling, prince consort, styles and titles, titles