The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden > Crown Princess Victoria, Prince Daniel and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-18-2006, 08:06 PM
Serene Highness

King Daniel doesn't sound more strange than Prince Daniel, does it?

Old 04-18-2006, 08:23 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furienna
Does anyone know if he has a middle name that could be used? Something more traditional.

He could also, as Henrik and several others, change his name to something more traditional

Old 04-18-2006, 09:27 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress
Is there such a title as Duke Consort? I have never heard of such. Hmm?
I put it between () because he will be the consort of the Duchess, which means he'll be a Duke but won't outrank her because she's still the crown princess.; just what happened in Spain with the Infantas' husbands, they are both Dukes but they don't outrank their wives because they are "princess of Spain" unlike them.
Old 04-18-2006, 11:46 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
I guess it doesn't. :) As long as he makes Sweden's future Queen happy; I guess I'm not that worried about his title. We'll know (soon? ) enough. I'm still waiting for an engagement announcement this year and a huge wedding in 2007.
Old 04-19-2006, 12:41 AM
Courtier

The distinction between "King" and "Prince" is in the connotation. It sounds like "King" would outrank a "Queen" and even I think that would be grossly unfair if that view was applied to Victoria since she is the royal-born between the two of them.

Like other posters said, my bet would be he'd be called Duke first while the current King still sits on the throne and maybe be elevated to "Prince". Actually, I don't think Victoria would elevate him to "Prince Consort" even after she takes the throne. We'll see.
Old 04-19-2006, 12:46 AM
Nobility

Well I agree that he would/should get the title of Duke, why don't you think she'll elevate him to Prince Consort?
Old 04-28-2006, 06:04 AM

I think he will be HRH The Prince Consort, like Henrik.
He will not be king, this would be poor protocol (going on a thousand years of tradition throughout Europe, eg Philip, Claus, Henrik.)
And as a final point he will assume precedence next to Victoria as consort of the sovereign.

This is presuming that they marry.

God Save The Queen!

Old 04-28-2006, 06:17 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalProtocol
He will not be king, this would be poor protocol (going on a thousand years of tradition throughout Europe, eg Philip, Claus, Henrik.)
And as a final point he will assume precedence next to Victoria as consort of the sovereign.

This is presuming that they marry.
I agree 100%

About the Duke-title, it's not something that's really in use in Sweden, I know they all have these titles but it doesn't give any meaning. I suppose he will automaticly become duke of Västergötland (since Victoria is the duchess).

It would be a constant laugh if they gave Daniel a duke title only.
Old 04-28-2006, 07:02 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daneborn
I agree 100%

About the Duke-title, it's not something that's really in use in Sweden, I know they all have these titles but it doesn't give any meaning. I suppose he will automaticly become duke of Västergötland (since Victoria is the duchess).

It would be a constant laugh if they gave Daniel a duke title only.
Thanks,

The Ducal titles in Sweden do appear to be for the sake of it only. In the UK The Ducal title is always used eg. Duke of York but elsewhere it is just for show.

God Save The Queen!

Old 04-28-2006, 06:03 PM
Courtier

Quote:
King Daniel remembers me of King Ralph :)
Old 04-28-2006, 06:20 PM
Royal Highness

After Victoria assumes the throne I would think that she would raise Daniel to HRH Prince Consort. Most of the European Queens have seemed to take that approach.
Old 04-28-2006, 07:04 PM
Heir Apparent

The thing is that we don't have a point of comparison (not in Sweden) so we don't know what's gonna happen to the Crown Princess' husband
Old 04-28-2006, 07:10 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisiñaki
The thing is that we don't have a point of comparison (not in Sweden) so we don't know what's gonna happen to the Crown Princess' husband
True but I hope Victoria does make him Prince Consort should they ever marry. :)
Old 04-29-2006, 02:53 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalProtocol
They did also change the act of succession :p

I don't think you can break one tradition saying "Well those are the (modern) times." and then stand by another tradition saying "Well, that is tradition. It was always like that." Either make it 100% or not at all. :)

And thank heaven's Iputmyfootinmymouth Philip and Kiddie Henrik aren't King Consorts The only one who would have deserved it IMO was Prince Claus :)
Old 04-29-2006, 06:08 AM
Aristocracy

When the Swedish King's sisters, for instance Christina, the title was changed into ''Princess Christina Mrs. Magnuson'' whereas the husband kept his name unchanged, Mr. Tord Magnuson.

If we translate that it would mean Victoria would become ''Queen Victoria mrs. Westling'' and Daniel will keep his name and ''title'', which is mr. Daniel Westling.

I know it sounds absurd but it's fun to play with thoughts

I believe to 99,9% in the HRH prince Daniel solution.

What will happen with Carl-Philip, Madeleine and their future spouses, that's the interesting part.
Old 04-29-2006, 06:22 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Picture of the Month Representative - Denmark
Royal Blogger

Quote:
When the Swedish King's sisters, for instance Christina, the title was changed into ''Princess Christina Mrs. Magnuson'' whereas the husband kept his name unchanged, Mr. Tord Magnuson.

If we translate that it would mean Victoria would become ''Queen Victoria mrs. Westling'' and Daniel will keep his name and ''title'', which is mr. Daniel Westling.

I know it sounds absurd but it's fun to play with thoughts

I believe to 99,9% in the HRH prince Daniel solution.

What will happen with Carl-Philip, Madeleine and their future spouses, that's the interesting part.
I believe the husband of Crown Princess Victoria will be: HRH Prince X of Sweden untill Victoria becomes Queen, after that I think he will be: HRH Prince X, the Prince Concort of Sweden.

I think the wife of Prince Carl-Philip will be: HRH Princess X of Sweden. (like Princess Lilian)

The husband of Princess Madeleine might be: X, the Duke of Hälsingland and Gästrikland, like the husbands of Infanta Elena and Infanta Christina.
Old 04-29-2006, 06:25 AM
Heir Presumptive

How about Queen Victoria and the Duke of Ockelbo:p

Seriously I also dont see how they can do anything else than make him a Prince, especially if they make Carl Philips wife a Princess. Accually that is the interesting part, if the make Carl Philips wife a Princess and then Madeleiens husband only MR whats his name, its clearly sexism, whuch I dont think will go down to well in modern Sweden. The only comparable situation is Belgium but since Astrids husbad already had a title it was not a problem, so unless Madeleine fancys marrying a royal we will have to wait and see what they decide
Old 04-29-2006, 06:25 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Queen Victoria mrs. Westling''
Wich suddenly would make it possible to have a lil spelling mistake Queen Victoria Ms Wrestling
Old 04-29-2006, 06:29 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisiñaki
In 1714 Princess Ulrika Eleonora married a Prince Fredrik from some German principality. From 1713 she was made acting regent as her father was abroad in war, and she became reigning Queen upon his death in 1719.

She found it difficult to be reigning Queen and a submissive wife (this was the 18th century ) First she suggested to make the prince co-reigning, but that suggestion wasn't successful with the politicians, so in 1720 she abdicated and her prince was made the reigning King

Who knows, His Majesty King Daniel may not be a totally farfetched castle in the air.
Old 04-29-2006, 06:40 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larzen
How about Queen Victoria and the Duke of Ockelbo:p

Seriously I also dont see how they can do anything else than make him a Prince, especially if they make Carl Philips wife a Princess. Accually that is the interesting part, if the make Carl Philips wife a Princess and then Madeleiens husband only MR whats his name, its clearly sexism, whuch I dont think will go down to well in modern Sweden. The only comparable situation is Belgium but since Astrids husbad already had a title it was not a problem, so unless Madeleine fancys marrying a royal we will have to wait and see what they decide
If you ask Daniel I think he will prefer Duke of Östermalm.

There has to be equality in titles when Carl-Philip and Madeleine marry.

We haven't seen it before, different genders in the same generation, so it's intriguing.

It turned out to be a mistake to make mrs. Alexandra Manley a princess, since the divorce was unevitable, and I think other courts have learned a lesson for future titles of spouses to non-heirs.

Tags
daniel westling, prince consort, styles and titles, titles