The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden > Crown Princess Victoria, Prince Daniel and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-24-2009, 04:31 PM
Majesty

i have seen that he will be duke and prince but will it be HRH

Old 02-24-2009, 04:37 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josefine View Post
Yes there seems to be a lot of confusion wether he will be a HRH or not. Also, he did not get a Dukedom of his own- he will share Victoria's.

Old 02-24-2009, 04:41 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Yes ofcourse he will be HRH.Like his counterparts in The Netherlands,Denmark,Belgium,UK....etc..

Any discussion on his fututre is moot to a fault.No-one here knows anything about it.Nada.Niente.Almost no-one.
But one can be sure that this/these matters are dealt with in the near future.And,comparing one Monarchy with
the other and the respective tasks goes limp too.

Sweden is a solely representative model Monarchy thus having its entirely specific status among the european
Monarchies and its specific tasks constitutionally for members of the Royal House..
Old 02-25-2009, 06:11 AM
Nobility

I hope that Daniel will be given the title of King (consort) of Sweden. If Sweden wanted to bring equality among the genders by introducing equal primogeniture, then it seems logical to me that husband of the Queen would be King just like wife of the King is Queen. They're already following my logic, by giving Daniel princely title and the title of Duke of Västergötland (the title born by Victoria).

I don't think that husband should share his wife's title, but I'm not convinced that equal primogeniture is the right way of succession either. If they want equality, then they should go for it in every aspect. Yet I'm afraid that Daniel will be prince consort only, regardless of the fact that it would be too patriarchal for modern society.
Old 03-03-2009, 06:13 AM
Royal Highness

I think that, as previous posts have suggested, the title King and Queen should be reserved for the actual monarch only and their spouse hold the title Prince/Princess Consort or just Prince/Princess. It seems that this is what will happen in Britain when Charles comes to the throne and Camilla will (we are told) be Princess Consort.

I can understand that if you have full equality with titles then the husband of a reigning queen ought to have the benefit of his wife's title but until this actually happens in reality, I think people may feel it sounds odd!

Incidentally, people may have heard of the island of Sark in the Channel Islands which was (until recently) one of the last feudal states in the world. Sark is governed by a feudal lord called a Seigneur. Earlier in the 1900's the Seigneur at the time had no male children and so when he died his daughter Sybil took on the role of Seigneur and was called The Dame of Sark. She got married to an American chap and the feudal law in the island stipulated that as her husband, he would take on the title Seigneur and carry out the duties that came with the job. As it happened, Sybil Hathaway The Dame of Sark who was quite a character and a feisty woman continued to "reign" over the island and make most of the decisions. When her husband died, there was a great dispute as to whether she could continue as Dame of Sark because technically the Seignuer had died and the title should have been passed to her son. It's an interesting story!
Old 03-03-2009, 05:11 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
I think that, as previous posts have suggested, the title King and Queen should be reserved for the actual monarch only and their spouse hold the title Prince/Princess Consort or just Prince/Princess. It seems that this is what will happen in Britain when Charles comes to the throne and Camilla will (we are told) be Princess Consort.
You're right - that could happen, but when that happens, I'll stop carrying about that royal family. I could live with one exception if there is a good reason for it, but to set a rule which says that wives of kings will no longer be queens - that would be too much. Wives of kings have been queens for as long as those words exist. I would rather see a monarchy abolished than so deformed

Your story about the Sark island is very interesting though!
Old 03-03-2009, 05:39 PM
Courtier

Thanks for sharing, Jacknch. Never heard this before. Very interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post

I can understand that if you have full equality with titles then the husband of a reigning queen ought to have the benefit of his wife's title but until this actually happens in reality, I think people may feel it sounds odd!

Incidentally, people may have heard of the island of Sark in the Channel Islands which was (until recently) one of the last feudal states in the world. Sark is governed by a feudal lord called a Seigneur. Earlier in the 1900's the Seigneur at the time had no male children and so when he died his daughter Sybil took on the role of Seigneur and was called The Dame of Sark. She got married to an American chap and the feudal law in the island stipulated that as her husband, he would take on the title Seigneur and carry out the duties that came with the job. As it happened, Sybil Hathaway The Dame of Sark who was quite a character and a feisty woman continued to "reign" over the island and make most of the decisions. When her husband died, there was a great dispute as to whether she could continue as Dame of Sark because technically the Seignuer had died and the title should have been passed to her son. It's an interesting story!
Old 03-04-2009, 04:21 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotroman View Post
I hope that Daniel will be given the title of King (consort) of Sweden. If Sweden wanted to bring equality among the genders by introducing equal primogeniture, then it seems logical to me that husband of the Queen would be King just like wife of the King is Queen. They're already following my logic, by giving Daniel princely title and the title of Duke of Västergötland (the title born by Victoria).

I don't think that husband should share his wife's title, but I'm not convinced that equal primogeniture is the right way of succession either. If they want equality, then they should go for it in every aspect. Yet I'm afraid that Daniel will be prince consort only, regardless of the fact that it would be too patriarchal for modern society.
We may even see a replay of what happened on the Swedish throne in 1718/1720: Queen Ulrike Eleonore, daughter of king Karl XI. of Sweden became queen after her brother, king Karl XII. died childless. She was married to prince Frederick of Hesse-Kassel, whom she wanted to make into her Co-king regnant. The parliament of Sweden refused her wish but after two years, they allowed the queen to abdicate in favour of her husband and made him king in his own right....

So there is a precedence in Swedish history and it happened at a time when parliament decided who should be king - just like it does so again in today's time.
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:22 AM
Majesty

i still wondering if its certain that he will be HRH i am not 100% sure
Herman lingquist are sure

Bröllop planeras till försommaren 2010. I samband med giftermålet förlänas Daniel Westling titeln Prins Daniel, Hertig av Västergötland.

The wedding is planned to take place in the early summer of 2010. In connection with the wedding Mr. Westling will be invested with the title Prince Daniel, Duke of Västergötland.

nothing about HRH

in the begninning there do not style victoria as HRH in the swedish part as the do in the englsih text

Idag den 24 februari 2009 har förlovning eklaterats på Kungliga slottet mellan Kronprinsessan Victoria och Daniel Westling.

Today, Tuesday 24 February 2009, the engagement between Her Royal Highness Crown Princess Victoria and Mr. Daniel Westling was announced at the Royal Palace in Stockholm.

herman linquist seems to belive that daniel will be HRH
but he also thinks that victroria has 3 names he forgot ingrid.

Google Översätt
Old 03-24-2010, 09:17 AM
Nobility

Are they married yet?
Old 03-24-2010, 11:32 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
Are they married yet?
No, on 06-19-2010 :)
Old 03-26-2010, 07:36 PM
Aristocracy

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanvanmaxima View Post
No, on 06-19-2010 :)
Therefore, two months left!
Old 03-28-2010, 03:11 AM
Majesty

Quote:
i still wondering if its certain that he will be HRH i am not 100% sure
Herman lingquist are sure

Bröllop planeras till försommaren 2010. I samband med giftermålet förlänas Daniel Westling titeln Prins Daniel, Hertig av Västergötland.

The wedding is planned to take place in the early summer of 2010. In connection with the wedding Mr. Westling will be invested with the title Prince Daniel, Duke of Västergötland.

nothing about HRH

in the begninning there do not style victoria as HRH in the swedish part as the do in the englsih text

Idag den 24 februari 2009 har förlovning eklaterats på Kungliga slottet mellan Kronprinsessan Victoria och Daniel Westling.

Today, Tuesday 24 February 2009, the engagement between Her Royal Highness Crown Princess Victoria and Mr. Daniel Westling was announced at the Royal Palace in Stockholm.

herman linquist seems to belive that daniel will be HRH
but he also thinks that victroria has 3 names he forgot ingrid.

Google Översätt

He will be HRH Prince of Sweden as Consort to the future Monarch ofcourse.
As any other Consort,he will have to sort of invent his own role,profile himself.
On the pressure:he's around Princess Victoria and the RF long enough to know whether
or not he can deal with it.He''ll never be numero uno,his wife will be always and then
the Heir,then him.
So,please,I hope he won't throw childish tantrums like the french neighbour to the south.
Old 03-28-2010, 02:33 PM
Heir Presumptive

I am really looking forward to this wedding and so whatever he does in the future all I hope is that he does not let Victoria down and is really mindful of the life he must make for himself aside from his situation as a private member of a family. I really like Victoria and hope this all works out.So as for title Duke of something but most likely wait and see what the future brings.
Old 04-07-2010, 04:36 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucien View Post
He will be HRH Prince of Sweden as Consort to the future Monarch ofcourse.
I find it strange that the media hasn't looked into this in more detail. (If he isn't to be an HRH I'm sure they would blame the King for not accepting him etc.)

On SVT.se Herman Lindqvist (Victorias history teacher) states that Mr. Westling won't become a Royal Highness as he was not born into the Royal House. (Blir Daniel en kunglig höghet? « Hermans Hörna)

I hope Herman Lindqvist is wrong (he is famous for making mistakes) in his assumptions.

If he is correct it does raise some questions:
  • Will the Duke of Västergötland be a member of the Royal House or just the Royal Family? (Princess Lilian was most definitely not born royal and is a member of both.)
  • Will he have the same rank as the female spouses (all HRH) of the other European crown prince couples or is the Swedish court to rank him lower? (I think they are if they insist of not making him HRH)
It does indeed seem strange if they were to be known as Her Royal Highness (not Their Royal Highnesses) Crown Princess Victoria, Duchess of Västergötland and Prince Daniel, Duke of Västergötland.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:24 PM
Aristocracy

Well it would (to me) make sense that if princess Lilian was considered a member of both the royal house and royal family, then Daniel as the spouse of the crown princess should be considered both since he will be the father of a future heir and eventually queen/king. Also if Daniel doesn't get to be HRH, and later down the line when Carl Phillip gets married, and his wife does get HRH it would look like the king is being unfair to Daniel and sexiest. But I don't really put in stock in what Lindqvist says, something he says, even I know are wrong.

And as far as the Swedish media, they don't seem to take investigative journalism at all serious when it comes the royal family. And actor, athlete, or even someone just married to one cheats, and right away we no more then we ever need to know about them, but a future head of state gets married? Not that I wish for their privacy to be violated, just serious article or two that does not include rumors.
Old 04-08-2010, 04:12 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnana View Post
And as far as the Swedish media, they don't seem to take investigative journalism at all serious when it comes the royal family. And actor, athlete, or even someone just married to one cheats, and right away we no more then we ever need to know about them, but a future head of state gets married? Not that I wish for their privacy to be violated, just serious article or two that does not include rumors.
You are completly right about the Swedish media not taking journalism about the royal family serious. Being a reporter of "royal" news has for many many years been considered as one of the lowest journalistic jobs in the swedish media - certainly connected to the fact that about 80% of the swedish journalists are firm republicans and possitivly hate the Monarchy and takes every chance to put the royal familys reputation down with the public who opposite the media support the monarchy with about 75-80%... If you work in the media buisness in sweden today the unwritten law is that you are supposed to hate the monarchy and want to install republic as soon as possible.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:01 PM
Aristocracy

Ah, that would explains quite a few things then.
What ever happened to balanced reporting?
Old 05-04-2010, 01:22 PM
Commoner

is there any chance, that Daniel after the wedding will be appointed to "general á la suite" and "admiral á la suite" (like prince Henrik is in Denmark) so that he can wear a uniform?
Old 05-04-2010, 02:20 PM
Imperial Majesty

Daniel will have an own coat of arms
Här är Daniel Westlings hemliga vapen | Bröllopet | Aftonbladet
TV4 - Daniel Westling får egen vapensköld

Tags
daniel westling, prince consort, styles and titles, titles