The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden > Crown Princess Victoria, Prince Daniel and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-02-2007, 08:50 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessNatalie
Title says it all.

would he be called Prince Daniel? because Princess Anne's 1st husband didn't have a title nor was he given one.

I would like to know out of curiosity.

thanks
In Britain,husband to a female monarch is not known as king and husband to a royal princess do not hold any title.So in the case of Victoria and Daniel maybe different since they are from Sweden not Britain.

Old 02-02-2007, 09:08 AM
Nobility

As a crown princess and therefore a future queen her husband would become a prince on their marriage just as Henrik did in Denmark and Claus in the Netherlands.

Old 02-03-2007, 08:29 AM
Courtier

Personally I think its completley unimportant if Viktorias husband will get a title or not. It should be completley unimportant for him to have a title if he really loves Viktoria so thats a rather useless und stupid discussion.
Old 02-03-2007, 08:49 AM
Royal Highness

I think having a title may be very important to the circle of people they socialize. There are plenty of decendents from former royal houses that still holds onto their "royal" titles. They would have looked down on a consort without a proper title.
Old 02-03-2007, 10:11 AM
Royal Highness

This is exactly why in 2002 in the Netherlands the titulature in the royal house was made 'gender free' and equal in all cases. Also is fixed by law that the spouse of the Sovereign and of the Heir-Apparent, no matter the gender, is given the own title of Prince(ss) of the Netherlands. Copy and paste this to the Swedish situation:

H.M. Sveriges Konung
H.K.H. Sveriges Prinsessa

H.M. Sveriges Dronnung
H.K.H. Sveriges Prins

H.K.H. Sveriges Kronprins
H.K.H. Prinsessa {...name...} av Sverige

H.K.H. Sveriges Kronprinsessa
H.K.H. Prins {...name...} av Sverige

If the Swedes would take over the new Dutch system, then Victoria and Daniël would become:

H.K.H. Sveriges Kronprinssessa, Hertiginna av Västergötland
H.K.H. Prins Daniël av Sverige

and later

H.M. Sveriges Dronnung
H.K.H. Sveriges Prins
Old 02-03-2007, 11:09 AM
Heir Apparent

Since there is no precedent to look at in modern times in Sweden, we have to hold our horses before the actual announcement of the King's desicion on the titles for the future husband of Crown Princess Victoria. The same goes for Carl Philip's and Madeleine's future spouses...

My personal hope though, as a Swede, is that Victoria's future husband should be a HRH Prince of Sweden. Both for official representational purposes and the position of the monarchy (creating some kind of new way would bring confusion), it would be for the best.
Old 02-03-2007, 11:15 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandDuchess
Since there is no precedent to look at in modern times in Sweden, we have to hold our horses before the actual announcement of the King's desicion on the titles for the future husband of Crown Princess Victoria. The same goes for Carl Philip's and Madeleine's future spouses...

My personal hope though, as a Swede, is that Victoria's future husband should be a HRH Prince of Sweden. Both for official representational purposes and the position of the monarchy (creating some kind of new way would bring confusion), it would be for the best.
So you follow the same style for the male spouse of an Heiress-Apparent like in the UK, in the Netherlands and in Denmark:

and later

H.M. Sveriges Dronnung
H.K.H. Sveriges Prins
Old 02-03-2007, 11:29 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henri M.
This is exactly why in 2002 in the Netherlands the titulature in the royal house was made 'gender free' and equal in all cases. Also is fixed by law that the spouse of the Sovereign and of the Heir-Apparent, no matter the gender, is given the own title of Prince(ss) of the Netherlands. Copy and paste this to the Swedish situation:

H.M. Sveriges Konung
H.K.H. Sveriges Prinsessa

H.M. Sveriges Dronnung
H.K.H. Sveriges Prins

H.K.H. Sveriges Kronprins
H.K.H. Prinsessa {...name...} av Sverige

H.K.H. Sveriges Kronprinsessa
H.K.H. Prins {...name...} av Sverige

If the Swedes would take over the new Dutch system, then Victoria and Daniël would become:

and later

H.M. Sveriges Dronnung
H.K.H. Sveriges Prins
Ehum...does this mean Maxima won´t be known as "Queen Maxima", when Queen Beatrix would retire If, I´d be very surprised...but actually positively surprised. For me it does feel strange, that these commoners, who marry crown princes these days can be known as "queen". "Princess" is IMO more a "flashy" title, that you can also buy and that is even sometimes used as first name for baby girls.
Old 02-03-2007, 12:44 PM
Royal Highness

To avoid a long discussion about a non-Swedish topic: that is indeed the intention of the 2002 Act which regulates the titulature. The titles are made gender-free and as the Dutch Government sees it as 'an undesirable situation' that the future spouse of Princess Catharina-Amalia will be known as 'The Prince of Orange' or 'The King', it is fixed that in all cases, male and female spouses of the Heir(ess) and the Sovereign become a Prince(ss) in their own right.

But there is quite opposition against that Act. Main reason: it is an absolute break with the long standing practice and tradition that the spouse of a King is not known as a Queen.

We have to wait how things will develop in the future. Also Britain will probably change: HM The King and HRH The Princess-Consort.
I think that many monarchies, which have to deal with a gender-free succession and a reigning Queen later (Sweden, Belgium, the Netherlands, Norway, probably Spain) will watch the developments in Britain and the Netherlands with interest.
Old 02-03-2007, 02:59 PM
Commoner

That's very interesting Henri M, thanks! I hadn't heard about this before you mentioned it.

It makes sense that:
The title King should be reserved for reigning Kings only, and
The title Queen should be reserved for reigning Queens only.
Old 04-28-2007, 05:10 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lox
That's very interesting Henri M, thanks! I hadn't heard about this before you mentioned it.

It makes sense that:
The title King should be reserved for reigning Kings only, and
The title Queen should be reserved for reigning Queens only.
Yes, sure. And Daniel will be certainly His Royal Highness Prince Daniel of Sweden, no doubt. He has to be HRH, he will be (I hope so) married to the queen!!! And how would it be:

H.M. Queen Victoria
Prince Daniel
Children:
H.R.H. Crown Prince (Princess...)
H.R.H. Princess (Prince)

The royal people would certainly look down on him.
But poor Daniel... He would sacrify all he has, give up all. He's an active, modern man and he will have to be only a man of his wife. But I hope they will get married! They love each other!!! This is the most important thing!!!
Old 04-28-2007, 05:35 PM
Courtier

Now we have the problem: That comes from this stupid idea of emancipation. You can also overdo something. It was to be foreseen that not every future Queen marries a Henri de la Bord de Monpezat or a Claus VON Amsberg or so. This will be the first time in younger history that a future Queen is to marry just a common Mr. Westling. And since we don´t feel good with this fact (although we are so emancipated...)we have to absolutely give him a royal title. Why? Why can´t we just say: Queen Victoria of Sweden and her husband Mr. Daniel Westling! Yeah, I know, it sounds in a way poor. But we are all so emancipated and therefore had to change the law and now poor Victoria has to carry the can....(what might cause that she never marries...)
Old 04-29-2007, 12:26 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefanie
Now we have the problem: That comes from this stupid idea of emancipation. You can also overdo something. It was to be foreseen that not every future Queen marries a Henri de la Bord de Monpezat or a Claus VON Amsberg or so. This will be the first time in younger history that a future Queen is to marry just a common Mr. Westling. And since we don´t feel good with this fact (although we are so emancipated...)we have to absolutely give him a royal title. Why? Why can´t we just say: Queen Victoria of Sweden and her husband Mr. Daniel Westling! Yeah, I know, it sounds in a way poor. But we are all so emancipated and therefore had to change the law and now poor Victoria has to carry the can....(what might cause that she never marries...)
Yes, you are right. He wil be HRH. But he will always be only a husband of the queen. If they get married of course... I hope we will be able to celebrate royal wedding in Sweden in 2008!
Old 04-29-2007, 12:30 PM
Heir Apparent

So maybe the King should give him some title maybe baron or count... like it was in Belgium with Mathilde and Claire and in the Netherlands with Maxima.
Than Victoria wouldn't marry a commoner someday
Old 04-29-2007, 03:03 PM
Courtier

I don't think Daniel would mind being in Crown Princess Victoria's shadow, since he is not too keen on the limelight.
Old 04-29-2007, 03:05 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gita
I don't think Daniel would mind being in Crown Princess Victoria's shadow, since he is not too keen on the limelight.
Well, but if you are automatically in the limelight and then in the shadow...not so great. Mind you...the negative things, the press would surely note. Then it could help to have some positive "spotlight time" as well.
Old 04-30-2007, 07:01 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnik
So maybe the King should give him some title maybe baron or count... like it was in Belgium with Mathilde and Claire and in the Netherlands with Maxima.
Than Victoria wouldn't marry a commoner someday
He's a commoner, the king can't help it. I think he and the queen don't want Victoria to marry Daniel
Old 05-01-2007, 12:08 PM
Gentry

maybe duke? something like that
Old 05-17-2007, 07:32 PM
Nobility

HRH Prince Daniel Mr Westling when the king is alive and HRH The Prince Consort after Victorias accesion is my tip.
Old 05-19-2007, 01:57 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans-Rickard
HRH Prince Daniel Mr Westling when the king is alive and HRH The Prince Consort after Victorias accesion is my tip.
The King said once that he is feeling very well and that he will reign for 40 years. Maybe not But he will certainly reign for 20 years, until he's 80 - 85. I think Victoria will be queen at the age of 50

Tags
daniel westling, prince consort, styles and titles, titles