Prince Daniel's Gym and Pre-Wedding Career

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Danielle said:
I can agree with you about people 'cheating' within their own company (sometimes). Even though what Daniel and Benny are doing is fraud and it's highly illegal, there are companies/organisations that have done much, much worse (e.g., Tyco). I think everyone does something to get in 'trouble' with the tax department at some stage; sometimes it's a genuine mistake and other times it's not. Tax and anything related to business, in my opinion, is impossible to understand, so if you can, you have my utmost admiration. :) Tax to me is like cricket; you can tell me a thousand times the ins and outs of it and I still won't get it.

Cissan, I love your avatar. It brings back memories. :D

Thanks! I love it too.

Regarding tax, I work as a tax lawyer in Sweden and help companies to pay as little tax as possible every day (with legal means of course ;)). What I have learnt is that the Tax Authority's opinion on which costs are deductible and which is not can be questioned in many many cases. Especially since Sweden joined the EC we have noticed that the Swedish tax authority doesn't really "keep up" with the rest of the EC but instead maintains their very strict rules.

Because of my work, I have a very negative opinion of the Swedish tax authority and therefore I'm not prepared to say that Daniel is the bad guy here.

Cissan said:
Thanks! I love it too.

Regarding tax, I work as a tax lawyer in Sweden and help companies to pay as little tax as possible every day (with legal means of course ;)). What I have learnt is that the Tax Authority's opinion on which costs are deductible and which is not can be questioned in many many cases. Especially since Sweden joined the EC we have noticed that the Swedish tax authority doesn't really "keep up" with the rest of the EC but instead maintains their very strict rules.

Because of my work, I have a very negative opinion of the Swedish tax authority and therefore I'm not prepared to say that Daniel is the bad guy here.
You must be highly sought after then. Wow, that would be such an interesting job (I'm being serious). I think every company wants to pay as little as possible. :) I also think that everyone has a negative view of any tax authority. It's certainly not very reliable in Australia as well. I guess I shouldn’t have judged Daniel. I don’t know the Swedish tax system and I don’t know how to run a business.

Cissan said:
Thanks! I love it too.

So you work on the evil side :D Well, some would say, that tax authorities are on the evil side. But one can´t deny, that your tax system is one main reason for the wealth of ALL people in Sweden.
But since you are an expert, you can maybe tell us, if businesses (corporations) get through with private holidays or private moves. I know, that you don´t know the details, but maybe you can say, how this is handled usually.
And maybe you can say, if Master Training has now just to remargin the writing-offs, which weren´t accepted...or do they also have to pay some kind of penalty?

My first post on a roylal board and I never thought it would be in relation to income taxes. Most countries corporate/business income tax laws are more grey than black and/or white. If someone with a multi-million kronors company only gets hit with 90,000 after an audit they have been very conservative in their tax filings. Daniel and his partner's decision not to fight the extra tax is most likely the result of estimting the cost of such fight versus the cost of paying the extra tax. For the government this is just free money.

Anyway I am not sure but I do not see why it should be the Gymns problem if Mr. Westling moved flat.

grevinnan said:
My first post on a roylal board and I never thought it would be in relation to income taxes. Most countries corporate/business income tax laws are more grey than black and/or white. If someone with a multi-million kronors company only gets hit with 90,000 after an audit they have been very conservative in their tax filings. Daniel and his partner's decision not to fight the extra tax is most likely the result of estimting the cost of such fight versus the cost of paying the extra tax. For the government this is just free money.

Well normally the one who looses the law suit has to pay the expenses of the other party too. So this is not a good reason. The only reason could be he thinks its wasting time!

Lena said:
So you work on the evil side :D Well, some would say, that tax authorities are on the evil side. But one can´t deny, that your tax system is one main reason for the wealth of ALL people in Sweden.
But since you are an expert, you can maybe tell us, if businesses (corporations) get through with private holidays or private moves. I know, that you don´t know the details, but maybe you can say, how this is handled usually.
And maybe you can say, if Master Training has now just to remargin the writing-offs, which weren´t accepted...or do they also have to pay some kind of penalty?

LOL Yes, I guess I do. I just want to say that my main area of expertise is VAT so please do not take my answers too serious.

I'm sure that more people than me denies that ALL people are wealthy in Sweden ;)

Well, about Master Training. Some of the expenses, like the move and the trip to Majorca, are undoubtedly private expenses unless they had a conference at Majorca or something but it does not seem that way. However, other expenses were expensive gifts to important clients and I think that definitely can be classed as a business expense. However, we have rules about how expensive gifts you can give clients. If you exceed the limits set out in those rules, the gifts can be classed as bribes.

Master Training has to pay a penalty that is 40 percent of the amount that has been "cheated" from the tax authority. (And of course pay the tax they had to pay to start with).

But this is very difficult and it is very subjective if an expense should be considered as made for the business or as a private expense.

The customers abandon Daniels Gym

Daniel is today head of two big gymes in Stockholm, he owns 70% of Master Training and is head of the new gym Balance with Axa. But the business is not going as good as it used to. TV4 can reveal he has big problems with his business, after he bough out his companyon Benny Lennnartson many of the customers has abandoned the gym

- when Benny left and Daniel decided to go in to business instead of beeing a personal trainer many got tired, instead many has moved to Benny Lennartssons gym in Stockholm city

- When Master Training started the essences was good service and the great contact between the customer and the staff, today I know many thinks the gym has changed into daniels Golden-cow (money makeing machine)

But Master training is not daniels only trouble, the attmpt to fill Balance 2500 square meter on short time has failed. That despite the face that Westling has tried to promote the gym to Café Operas VIP customers and giving intervew in Svensk Damtidning**

- Its not enough to work hard and be victorias boyfirend, the business idea must be solid as well and as of now it is not good enough
My translation from http://tv4.se/kandis/474924.html

**Very strange to choose Svensk Damtidning to promote a gym, they are a ladies and gossip magazine, who write about royals and celebreties in Sweden and abroad, and their demographic seems to me to be hahum...older women. BTW has someone read this interveiw?

Strange Daniel missed to forbid Benny to found a new gymn in Stockholm for an certain amount of time? Wouldn`t that be common when you buy a company that the ex owner is forbidden to found a new company on the same market for a cetain amount of time? Seems as Daniel had just avarage lawyers imho or is hat forbdden in Sweden? Maybe he should have consulted Jonas :)

Star attraction for Daniel's gym...

Expressen's sports section today writes that Sweden's own superstar hockey player Peter "Foppa" Forsberg is planning to set up camp at Daniel Westling's new gym Balance with Axa in a little over one week's time.

After having spent the last few weeks in the USA, doing business and exercising, Forsberg wants to return to Sweden again to enjoy the end of the Swedish summer. Last Monday he got a clear signal from the Philadelphia Flyers leadership to fly in the team's first physical trainer, Jim McCrossin, and family to Stockholm.

- I know Daniel since many years back, so it will be perfect.

- Jim lands in Sweden on 14 August and a day later we'll start our own camp on Daniel Westling's new gym Balance in Stockholm.

So it turns out that Daniel is friends with one of Sweden's national sports heroes, interesting news to me. Expressen mentions that Crown Princess Victoria and Daniel Westling have had dinner with him after they've visited NHL games.

Maybe this can help out Daniel's business crisis at least a little bit.

http://www.expressen.se/index.jsp?a=649723

GrandDuchess said:
Star attraction for Daniel's gym...

Expressen's sports section today writes that Sweden's own superstar hockey player Peter "Foppa" Forsberg is planning to set up camp at Daniel Westling's new gym Balance with Axa in a little over one week's time.

After having spent the last few weeks in the USA, doing business and exercising, Forsberg wants to return to Sweden again to enjoy the end of the Swedish summer. Last Monday he got a clear signal from the Philadelphia Flyers leadership to fly in the team's first physical trainer, Jim McCrossin, and family to Stockholm.

- I know Daniel since many years back, so it will be perfect.

- Jim lands in Sweden on 14 August and a day later we'll start our own camp on Daniel Westling's new gym Balance in Stockholm.

So it turns out that Daniel is friends with one of Sweden's national sports heroes, interesting news to me. Expressen mentions that Crown Princess Victoria and Daniel Westling have had dinner with him after they've visited NHL games.

Maybe this can help out Daniel's business crisis at least a little bit.

http://www.expressen.se/index.jsp?a=649723

I remember a quote from Foppa, where he said, that it is so embarrassing to fail in a game, where the crown princess is watcher. Is this his way to make up for some bad games, where Victoria was in the audience :p
I guess he knows Daniel from the many visits in stadiums, Victoria and Daniel did in the beginning of their relationship...oh well...nice what a sessan can do for you and your business :rolleyes:

I have read that Daniels gym has launched a website. Does anyone have the URL of that page?

mixer2002de said:
I have read that Daniels gym has launched a website. Does anyone have the URL of that page?
unfortunately, for us, its a members-only site

Well, there is still the page of the new and public gym: Balance IMO not an very interesting page.
And that´s he page, you need a login for:
www.mastertraining.se : Login

I´ve found an interesting entry in a blog. Hard to say, how much is true. At least it doesn´t sound, as if this person would want to run him down (out of jealousy etc.)
Does Daniel remember with horror?
When I was 7, I´ve shot a pea at Daniels left cheek. This wasn´t my intention, but he hated me in all the years after this.
As revenge that day, he hit me with a hockey club in Pers forest.
Me didn´t hate him and I´m not hating him these days, but it does feel a little strange to see him as Crown princess Victorias boyfriend in every newspaper of the country. The boy with the snub nose, extremely sharp canine teeth and the nasal little whiny voice, who refused to leave me alone in all the years. That Daniel Westling, who never stopped to torment me until he left the town. But this is forgiven now. We have been children and we are adults today. Human beings tend to change.
At Christmas day, home coming day, when all the ppl living in Ockelbo gather in a bar to (under the influence of alcohol) judge hypocriticially each others development, I´ve sometimes seen Westling, surrounded by old ass-kisser buddies from our area. They give ever up. I think nearly all work as personal trainers at Daniels various gyms these days. They have created an own Ockelbo in the big crowd of the capital city.
The funny thing is, that no matter how much they liked to expose me to all kind of crap when we we were little, I´m part of the "gang" everytime, when it is home coming day. They come and ask me to forgive. One of them cried and said, that all, what he did wasn´t on purpose. He couldn´t stop to hit the Boulé ball at my neck, when we played "bollen i burken" at the nursery in the opposite of my parents home. "Marre, you know, that you are one of us. All can be like before! We can meet in Sholm and can do something nice together? Call and pick me up in front of the gym!" But that´s just the thing, I don´t want...that all would be as before...and the king of this circus is looking most of all at me with silent bleary calculating eyes and I´m sometimes wondering, if he does remember these annoying years with him as my bully and me as his victim. We never talk about this...we are just standing there in silence and look at each other, nodding full of understanding and he is squirming everytime the old times become a topic-and they always do-when is home coming day.
I know, that he does remember. He knows about this time and what he did. Our friends also remember, what happened. They don´t forget. But this is nothing we are talking about, because these were painful years, that all want to forget. Because that´s, how it is done in Ockelbo. A community with a population of 2500 with all knowing each other. One is sweeping all things, that don´t look great in daylight, under the carpet...but one does remember. There is enough one is remembering with pain and horror.

Speaking of Donna Lee

Last edited:
It is only March this week so there could be an engagment by April with a wedding around July/August time. If not I think a spring or summer 2008 wedding.

I doubt they would have announced an engagement before King Harald's Birthday celebrations so I am hopeful that means a spring announcement.

Daniel will still be a owner of his companies but steo down as a Vice Precident
i do not know if its done yet however

There are "gyms" and there are "gyms"
I belong to a huge gym - the dues are low and there are lots of machines and classes for working out - if I wish to have one-on-one instruction with a trainer, I pay extra for that - and it is not cheap!
In my town there are gyms for the wealthy where you always work exclusively with a personal trainer who puts you through your work-out. This is expensive.
Gyms can be real cash cows and really rake in the money. It is a true business and takes some brain power to run successfully - just like ay other business.

Gyms are well worth it though. Exercise and the maintaining of one's health and beauty is well rewarding. People try to find ways of staying young and there really is no better way of rejuvenating the body but through diet and some exercise. Then a person involves qualities that make one stronger and physically sound. I've heard of so many attributes to working out and they seem to be consistent as far as I can tell. It really is nice to tone and build muscle and look more attractive. Exercise also relieves stress and somehow brightens the brain. Sometimes I think it is the Creator's intent to see us use our bodies to gain an understanding of what it is to be perfect and Godly. I admire Daniel's dedication to bringing to the public something that is so important and rewarding to our way of life. Working out truly is inspiring.

Penny - What a refreshing outlook on the benefits of exercise!

According to Di Dagens Industri, Daniel sells gym chain Balance with joint owners, Academic Work founders Johan Skarborg and Jeremias Andersson and CEO Anders Svensson. Balance has three facilities in Stockholm and has been struggling with weak profitability. Buyer is Sats, which reached a new record turnover last year.
Balance was started in 2006 by Daniel Westling and the prince is still the main owner, but has not been active in the company since marrying Crown Princess Victoria in 2010.
The gym chain has a book value of SEK 12.8 million, but in company's annual report it says that "external stakeholders have bid for shares in the subsidiary which exceed their book value".
Daniel is also a joint owner in Master Training, a training facility at Östermalm in Stockholm. Master Training had a turnover of SEK 21.6 million last year and made a business profit of SEK 3.3 million. The three shareholders got SEK 3 million in dividends this year.
- It's two of my absolute best friends who run Master Training so it's clear they tell you how it goes. But I'm 'sleeping partner' and I'm very careful to have a big distance to the business, prince Daniel told to Di.
Prins Daniel säljer sin gymkedja till Sats

SATS Swedish operations have acquired all shares in the training company Balance, which has three training facilities in Stockholm. The acquisition strengthens SATS's position in the training industry's premium segments and is part of SATS's work to further develop services such as personal training and member services.
SATS has long driven the development of the training industry in Sweden and is a well-established player in the country's metropolitan regions. Over the years, SATS has grown steadily both organically and through acquisitions. Now, SATS acquires Balance, whose brand is strongly associated with personal training and member service within the premium segment.
Balance's three training facilities are available today in Stockholm city, Solna and in Näsby Park in Täby. During the autumn, the change of ownership will cause the facilities in Solna and Täby to rename SATS while the city facility initially retains the name Balance.
Balance currently has a turnover close to 50 MSEK, has 120 employees and approximately 7 000 members.
- We see SATS as a new owner of Balance as a quality stamp on our concept. SATS has all the necessary conditions to further develop and broaden Balance's offer and concept, says Anders Svensson, CEO of Balance.
SATS fortsätter att växa - förvärvar träningsföretaget Balance - SATS

So Daniel is still keeping his ownership in Master Training, where he met Victoria. His friends Patrik Vrbanc and Lars Hellström run Master Training.

Last edited:
Gyms are well worth it though. Exercise and the maintaining of one's health and beauty is well rewarding. People try to find ways of staying young and there really is no better way of rejuvenating the body but through diet and some exercise. Then a person involves qualities that make one stronger and physically sound. I've heard of so many attributes to working out and they seem to be consistent as far as I can tell. It really is nice to tone and build muscle and look more attractive. Exercise also relieves stress and somehow brightens the brain. Sometimes I think it is the Creator's intent to see us use our bodies to gain an understanding of what it is to be perfect and Godly. I admire Daniel's dedication to bringing to the public something that is so important and rewarding to our way of life. Working out truly is inspiring.
If I recall correctly, Princess Madeleine introduced Victoria to the gym so she could get healthier and fitter as she was fighting to conquer her Anorexia. The attributes that a healthy lifesize, provides could not have been more important to Victoria and that one of the owners would be her Personal Trainer is a no-brainer.

Daniel and Victoria could never have believed the outcome of that somewhat inconsequential introduction, but it is my belief that their working relationship inspired Victoria to be the best she could while working with someone she liked, trusted and was qualified she blossomed, gained weight, got fit, fell in love and gained an unmeasurable confidence in herself.

Prince Daniel sold at the right time - got nine million
Timing is everything in business, Daniel made his move at just the right time in the late summer of 2019 when his partly owned company Lapada sold half of its holding in the exclusive gym Master Training AB.
Six months later, the coronavirus swept the world and the gym is one of the industries hardest hit.
- If you had known what was coming, you might think that this was a good timing, says Jan Lindman, the court's finance director.
A rule for those who want to succeed in business is not to let emotions control the choices.
Still, the sale of Master Training must have felt a little in Daniel's heart. It was at the company's premises that he met his future wife and became part of the royal family. This year it has been 20 years since Victoria first appeared at the exclusive Master Training gym in Stockholm.
Daniel continues to be involved in issues related to sports and health. He is honorary chairman of the board of the Heart-Lung Foundation. Physical activity is one of the best recipes for cardiovascular diseases.
- Prince Daniel is not only interested in public health. He is also very knowledgeable, says Jan Lindman.
Daniel's company Lapada AB owned just over 85% in Master Training before selling half of its holding in the late summer of 2019. Lindman says that there was no specific plan to liquidate the holding in the gym industry, rather it was the result of interacting factors.
- There were interesting investors who were long-term. On the one hand, they saw opportunities to make other investments.
Lindman says that after 20 years in the health club industry, it may be natural to broaden investment perspectives.
Daniel runs company Lapada AB with his friends Lars Hellström and Patrik Vrbanc. Lapada AB is focused on body care, the name comes from the first two letters of the owners' first names. Daniel owns 70% of the company through his wholly owned company Fornwij AB and his friends each own 15% through their companies.
In July 2019, Lapada owned 858 of 1,000 shares in Master Training AB. Two months later, it owned only 430 shares. Half of the holding had been sold. The price tag is unknown. The Board of Directors of Lapada AB proposed a dividend of SEK 12.5 million to the shareholders, meaning that SEK 8,750,000 would end up in Daniel's company Fornwij AB.
Prins Daniel gjorde stor vinst när han sålde Master Training
Translation

Daniel thus continues to make big money in his private companies. However, he does not sit on the boards of the companies, instead his friends are board members in Lapada AB and in Fornwij AB there are board members from the court, including Jan Lindman and the king's lawyer Axel Calissendorff.
Prins Daniels hemliga mångmiljonklipp _ Stoppa Pressarna

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom