The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-21-2008, 06:32 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Well, it seems that there is finally some action. First the appearance of Daniel in Denmark and now this. It gives some expectations of an engagement in the near future.
Thanks LadyFin for your elaborate posts on the matter, very interesting. Did any of the magazines or newspapers have a picture of the place where Daniel will be living? Or of Victoria's wing of the palace?

-
Is it obligatory to release these rental contracts in Sweden by the way?

Old 06-21-2008, 09:21 AM
Courtier

Well finally we´re seeing some signs that an engagement is about to happen. I hope that the engagement will happen this fall, but maybe they will wait over the Nobel, beacuse otherwise Daniel would make his debute there wouldn´t he? But let´s all hope that it will FINALLY happen this fall and a wedding in june 2009, i have waited soo long for this now and i can´t stand to wait another year...

Old 06-21-2008, 11:19 AM
Heir Apparent

Yes, probably he would attend the NPA with the Royal family. But IMO this is not soooo much of a task...as many relatives of laureates aren´t used to such things either. Besides we wouldn´t get a detailed description, what they had talked about at the table...and at the ceremony he just needs to sit there and look interested (and even the RF isn´t always a pro in that )
Somehow I am thinking, that duties like the king´s birthday (waving and all) or the National day (more waving, shaking hands, posing...) or trips through the country are a little more complicated for Daniel than a NPA...that he can wear white tie, we have seen and since he mostly eats in noble restaurants, he could probably also fill his stomach at the NPA banquett the Royal civilised way
V&D go unusual ways...so I´d say every engagement date from September to May is possible (as I still stick with a summer wedding)

Pics of Westling´s new apartment (house)
http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/2728/7733321nb4.jpg
ImageShack - Hosting :: huset667034arp4.jpg

Victoria apartment encircled + an other aerial pic
ImageShack - Hosting :: slottpg4.jpg
http://img399.imageshack.us/img399/4720/dholmol3.jpg

Type in "Drottningholm" + choose "flygfoto" and you can see more aerial photos. Quite a nice place to live IMO
Eniro kartor visar adresser & vägen till företag & personer
Old 06-21-2008, 01:04 PM
Heir Presumptive

There was an article in one of the Swedish newspapers today about the struggle for Daniel to become accepted and about Victoria's support and her decision to stand by him no matter what. Daniel has gone through a lenghty "education" to become her consort. There may be some similarities here between Daniel and Victoria and King and Queen. When Carl Gustaf became King there were widespread speculation that the monarchy would not survive. He was seen as a playboy, not very bright and most likely not able to take over after his very respected and loved grandfather. He surprised everyone with his first speech as the new king but he was still very insecure and not very "kingly". Silvia was seen as the person that helped him in becoming more secure and instilling a sense of royal family around him. She was apparently very intelligent and very capable in taking on the role as his queen. Yet she was not "royal" enough for many royal houses at the time yet she eventually became one of the most regal queens. Victoria would have seen the dynamic of a very supportive and loving mother/spouse and also her father supporting his non-royal spouse/queen. Victoria probably did not hesitate to stay with Daniel once she decided he was the life companion she wanted even though his back ground was so different and "unacceptable". Although her parents situation was different the dynamic between husband and wife in their personal and intimate lives does not differ because you are royal. I believe the inclusion of Silvia and Daniel - both "non-royal" has and will continue to strengthen the royal family in Sweden. Daniel will most likely take over many of the interests Prince Bertil was involved in - sports and the out-of-doors and nature. The things that are closest to most Swede's hearts.
Old 06-21-2008, 01:18 PM
Heir Presumptive

Forgive me but I do not understand why the Royal Palace had to announce that Daniel rented a pied a terre from the King. Supposedly from what I read he is a very succesful businessman with his gyms. He must have had a nice place to live in.
I can understand Daniel's hesitation to being front and center and having the media scrutinize and criticise his every move. However neither one of them is getting younger, they know each other for years. Why don't they announce the engagement now and get married in September? CG announced his engagement in February and the wedding was in June..........
Old 06-21-2008, 01:20 PM
Heir Presumptive

The Royal Palace did not announce. These documents are public and journalists probably are monitoring everything that goes on around the royal family. The Royal Palace simply acknowledged what was already public.
Old 06-21-2008, 01:21 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by grevinnan View Post
The Royal Palace did not announce. These documents are public and journalists probably are monitoring everything that goes on around the royal family. The Royal Palace simply acknowledged what was already public.
That makes more sense to me now.
Old 06-21-2008, 01:40 PM
Heir Apparent

But it´s though quite interesting, that they had detected this news so fast (the contract was signed 3 days before!) I mean we are talking about the Swedish press...those are these days mainly copying foreign agency news or news from local newspapers. Surely the public system in Sweden makes it easy to do some research, but it´s still amazing, that they had found it so fast. Esp. if we consider, that Aftonbladet doesn´t have a regular Royal reporter at the moment
I´d not be surprised, if the court wouldn´t have followed strictly the principle of secrecy in this case
After all there has been some criticism on Daniel (&Emma &Jonas) "lying" about their prinicipal residence (as they would spend much more time with their partners) And the king giving a life-long right of abode to Daniel is good PR for the man, who is often said to not like his daughter´s boyfriend
I´d also not be surprised, if Daniel wouldn´t pay...or better said would pay, but would get the money back...
Old 06-21-2008, 01:51 PM
Heir Presumptive

Then the cynical part of me would suggest that perhaps the Palace "leaked" the information to get some feedback about how the Swedes would accept this. In any case, Daniel is getting closer.....
As Queen Sofia had said once, Parents fight their childrens' choices if they disagree with them but once it is a done deal they must do all they can to preserve the unity of the couple.
Old 06-21-2008, 02:16 PM
Heir Apparent

IMO Sofia´s statement would totally fit Silvia.
As soon as the deal would be clear, she would surely do everything to promote the idea of an unity and of "grandma Silvia"
IMO one can compare Silvia and Daniel in the aspect of being "unsuitable" by the standards of their time. But one can´t compare their educations for the Royal job and their attitude.
One could think Silvia was bred and raised for the job "Queen". She grew up in a various cultures. She was always interested in fashion and elegant appearances. She was studying several languages. She was meeting VIPs. She was like Daniel discreet in the dating time, but at the same time always friendly (words + body language)
And if you ask me, she knows her value (she is sometimes a bit cocky in interviews) and the differences to Daniel. But at least she can´t deny, that he had tried his best and probably would try it even more in the future. So probably she would accept him as member of the firm (with grinding teeth though)...and if she would accept it, hubby would surely follow...
Old 06-21-2008, 02:27 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Thanks for those pictures Lena, the house looks very nice indeed but to live so close to your in-laws might be far from ideal for many . The article said he rented two rooms and a kitchen so I suppose the house is split & he shares it with the staff?

Is it expected that Victoria keeps on living in the place she has now or are there some empty villa's or small palaces left for her? Maybe the one of Princess Sibilla (or does princess Christina live there now?).
Old 06-21-2008, 05:00 PM
Courtier

There are quite a few places where Victoria and Daniel can live. There are a couple of royal palaces to choose from, like Tullgarn, Ulriksdal. The haga palace where the king grew up is not that likely i think - the goverment use that now for housing guests. They could always move in to an apartment in the Royal palace in the city but i doub´t that they want to live there - there is not any real gardens and the palace is partly open for public and they will have their offices there so maybe they don´t want to live and work at the same place. I belive that they will live at Drottningholm - atleast when they get children - and that the King and Queen will move out. But first we must have an wedding...
Old 06-21-2008, 07:07 PM
Heir Apparent

Note: As we've been waiting for Victoria's marriage for a long time, we do have a thread for discussion of where Victoria may be living after she gets married: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...age-16302.html

Let's try to keep this one to the actual topic
Old 06-21-2008, 11:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odette View Post
Then the cynical part of me would suggest that perhaps the Palace "leaked" the information to get some feedback about how the Swedes would accept this. In any case, Daniel is getting closer.....
As Queen Sofia had said once, Parents fight their childrens' choices if they disagree with them but once it is a done deal they must do all they can to preserve the unity of the couple.
No need to leak anything. Sweden has a failproof system of keeping track of where everyone lives and the records are public. If you live anywhere else besides where you are "written" the big brother will find you - even if you are living with the crown princess.
Old 06-22-2008, 05:18 AM
Heir Presumptive

I really think it is to see Swedes reaction, in short test the water
Old 06-22-2008, 05:44 AM
Heir Apparent

that's great! it sounds like an engagement is on the way... :)
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 06-22-2008, 04:17 PM
Gentry

ruthieviews

It may be that moving Daniel Westling to Drottningholm will solve several problems. It will allow them to spend time together without intrusion by the press. It will also improve the security situation. Having a boyfriend who has an apartment in the city and spends time at her place when she is in town, creates a difficult security problem for them. It is worse when she spends time at his place. With both of them living on the grounds of Drottningholm, it will reduce these problems considerably. CP Victoria seems to appear every week at some sort of function. Unlike many other countries, the Swedish people are very protective of the Royal Family, but seem to give them a lot of privacy and freedom in their personal lives. Unfortunately, there are many terrorists in the world today who consider all government officials and royals fair game.

One question. Do future consorts have to divest themselves of all businesses and financial connections before marrying? If they do, it is a heavy burden on the intended consort. Many royals have businesses, investments, and money producing enterprises that they have cleverly developed over the years. Is it fair to ask them to just dump everything and become a pauper in order to marry someone destined for the throne. The fact that Daniel Westling is expanding his fitness empire and is a partner in a huge development in Brazil, could be the reason they have not married. He stands to make millions in the near future. Maybe they plan to wait until he can cash out in the millions instead of right now.
Old 06-22-2008, 05:14 PM
Heir Apparent

But until he would cash out the millions, even the last egg have his girlfriend would have shrinked down
I don´t see a problem in being a prince and doing investment projects as this in Brazil...after all the king does also act in the world of business and investment...
Old 06-24-2008, 12:59 AM
Nobility

I don't see the big deal about5 it either but apparently it could be taken as a conflict of interest.
Old 06-24-2008, 05:08 PM
Heir Presumptive

Well, I dont know how the new living arangements/possible engagement will effect his participation in the business world, but there is one thing I have an opinion on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
Well, it seems that there is finally some action. First the appearance of Daniel in Denmark and now this. It gives some expectations of an engagement in the near future.
As soon as I heard that he was moving in I assumed that there would be an engagement announced at some time, probably before the end of the year. I mean, we live in a modern society, but I do not think that TM'ies would have allowed an arrangement like this otherwise.

I guess it just my opinion and that only time will tell tho...

Tags
daniel westling, palaces, relationships