Crown Princess Victoria's Official Visit to the USA: November 3-8, 2003

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am reminded of the great profile that Greta Garbo did at the end of Queen Christina. Of course, Greta looked nothing like Queen Christina.

Originally posted by Dennism@Nov 8th, 2003 - 6:24 pm
I am reminded of the great profile that Greta Garbo did at the end of Queen Christina. Of course, Greta looked nothing like Queen Christina.
I see....a man in love ;)
Has Victoria spoken to the crowd?

She did not speak to the crowd. Nor at the ceremony at the museum. She did dance though!

One more thing to report for now. 1 TV station so far. At the museum in Philadelphia so that makes sense. Shows her getting out of the car before the steps of the museum and greeting people. Also better view of those nice earrings.

I'm not one to judge. The men in the headdresses really looked native though.
The Lenape did a welcoming ceremony. She went around in a circle with other people. More stomping than dancing per se but she did dance.

So .. Victoria joined with the Lenape as they did their stomping and dancing around in a circle routine ?

Yes, but it was sort of a type off stomping but there was a looseness in her legs.

Originally posted by Dennism@Nov 8th, 2003 - 7:30 pm
Yes, but it was sort of a type off stomping but there was a looseness in her legs.
looseness in the sense of "slackness" or in the sense of "being relaxed"/easy?

Relaxed.

Delawareonline.com:

Swedish princess brings a royal treat
On her trip to Wilmington on Saturday, visiting dignitary Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden showed two sides of the throne: royalty and simplicity.

By MICHELE FUETSCH
Staff reporter; Sussex Bureau reporter
11/09/2003

The woman who will become Queen of Sweden charmed a slice of Delaware on Saturday with her decidedly common touch.

Crown Princess Victoria did a tribal dance with Lenape Indians, toured a replica of the sailing ship that brought the first Swedish settlers to the banks of the Christina River and rang the bell at Old Swedes Church in Wilmington.

"Do you think they'll come for service?" the royal day-tripper laughed as she pulled on the bell rope.

Outfitted in a plum-colored pantsuit and with her long brown hair pulled back in a sporty ponytail, the thoroughly modern princess was here to mark the 365th anniversary this year of the landing of Swedes and Finns in 1638 at The Rocks, now part of Fort Christina State Park, where they established the state's first permanent European settlement.

The visit originally was planned for April but delayed because of terrorism concerns when the United States went to war with Iraq.

A crowd of about 150 people, some waving the blue-and-yellow Swedish flag, greeted the 26-year-old princess at the fort and nearby at the dock of the replica sailing ship, the Kalmar Nyckel.

In the churchyard beforehand, the princess helped plant a rhododendron bush. And in an impromptu moment, Nora Ramsey, 6, and brother Liam, 1, of Newark presented the princess with a bouquet of blue and yellow flowers.

The children's mother, Sabina Ramsey, said "We're Swedish and, of course, we miss Sweden and wanted to see our princess."

The Ramsey family is from Stockholm, but Ramsey's husband, Daniel, is doing post-doctoral work this year at the University of Delaware. In Sweden, Ramsey said, the princess is "much loved. I guess she's someone you can connect to. She's very much out in the public."

Indeed, in a Swedish poll last year, the slim, serious and athletic princess with the wide brown eyes was voted the public's favorite member of the royal family.

"Vickan," as she's known in Sweden, is the daughter of King Carl XVI Gustaf and Queen Silvia, a Brazilian commoner of German descent, which has caused the German press to make a tabloid celebrity of the princess there, much to the displeasure of the royal family.

Victoria will assume the Swedish throne when her father dies, although, as she was quick to say Saturday, her coronation is a long way off.

"My father, he's very, very strong," said the princess, whose diplomatic skills are already well-honed.

When she assumes the throne, Victoria will become Sweden's first female head of state in almost 300 years and the country's fourth woman to rule overall.

Asked whether she ever gets a chance to kick off her shoes and relax, the princess said, "Yes, but not today."

Princess Victoria studied at Yale and has a deep interest in conflict resolution, an avocation she spent the last two days pursuing at conferences in Washington, D.C., with the help of her mentor Jan Eliasson, the Swedish ambassador to the United States. The ambassador and his wife, Kerstin, accompanied the princess to Delaware on Saturday.

"She's mainly interested in how you discover more the early warning signs so we can prevent [conflict]," Eliasson said. "Prevention is the thing."

On her left shoulder, the princess wore a large brooch embedded with sapphires, an anniversary gift from the Swedish Colonial Society here, which helped coordinate the visit, including the ceremonial prayer and dance by the Lenape Indians.

When the Swedes first settled here, it was trade with the Lenape that helped the newcomers get through the winter, providing them with food and other necessities.

The princess told tribal descendants that it "warms my heart" to think of the generosity their ancestors extended to the Swedish settlers. She also said she was deeply touched by the warm greeting the Lenape descendants, many in tribal dress, gave her.

Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden plants a rhododendron with Luke Hyman of Wilmington on the grounds of Old Swedes Church. Hyman takes care of the grounds, and Victoria's father planted a tree there in 1988.

Attachments

• 26185.jpg
    26185.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 199
Profile from Delawareonline.com:

Attachments

• 26209.jpg
    26209.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 186
Philadelphia Inquirer:

Sudanese minister receives Wallenberg award

The American Swedish Historical Museum presented the Spirit of Raoul Wallenberg Humanitarian Award to the Rev. Haruun L. Ruun yesterday in a ceremony held in the museum's Grand Foyer.

Ruun is the executive secretary of the New Sudan Council of Churches, an organization of Catholic and Protestant churches that provides social services, does relief work, and promotes education in the volatile rebel-held regions of southern Sudan.

About 250 people attended the event, many dressed in traditional Swedish costumes and waving Swedish flags. Sweden's Crown Princess Victoria presented the award, a crystal bowl, to Ruun.

The award is named for a Swedish businessman-turned-diplomat who saved thousands of Hungarian Jews from the Holocaust while he served at Sweden's Budapest legation in 1944 and 1945. In January 1945 the diplomat was arrested by Soviet forces, taken to Moscow, and never seen again

Rather disappointed with the TV coverage last night. Only 2 stations had it and 1 was a repeat of the other station's video. Also disappointed with the newspaper coverage today.

Victoria in United States autumn 2003

Victoria slåss för sin heder (Victoria fights for her honor)

PHILADELPHIA. Vad de tyska skvallerjournalisterna skriver om Victoria går inte att försvara.
Övergreppen är för grova.
- Bara förstasidorna som vi pratar om är så absurda, säger kronprinsessan till Expressen

Victoria avslutade sin USA-turné med en succéartad rundtur i de gamla svensktrakterna i Delaware och Philadelphia.
I natt lämnade hon USA med flyg efter två späckade veckor.
Hon har även hunnit med en kärlekssemester med pojkvännen Daniel Westling och flera besök på institutioner i Washington där hon lärt sig om internationell konflikthantering.
På tisdag inleder Victoria en egen internationell konflikt - mot den tyska tidningen Woche der Frau.
Vilket bara är början.

Åker inte till Tyskland
Men kronprinsessan kommer inte att åka till rättegångarna i Tyskland som hittills bara gäller olika förstasidor.
- Det är uteslutet. Hon företräds av vår advokat där. Ingen har sagt att hon behöver åka dit, säger Elisabeth Tarras-Wahlberg, kronprinsessans mentor.
Fortfarande hoppas Victoria att tidningarna ska införa rättelser och sluta med sina skandalpubliceringar inför hotet om rättsliga processer.
Att det tyska journalistfacket försvarar publiceringen gör Victorias närmaste medarbetare upprörd.
- Hur kan de göra det? Det är inte fråga om journalister som gör det här, utan det är kreatörer, säger Tarras-Wahlberg.
- Om tidningarna har källor, så har de inte rätt källor.

Annan grundsyn
Victoria och resten av kungafamiljen har under det senaste året uttryckt oro för att den svenska skvallerpressen går längre och längre.
- Det är fler och fler som ägnar sig åt skvaller och det har skärpt konkurrensen. Gränserna har klart flyttats fram och det har blivit värre, säger Elisabeth Tarras-Wahlberg.
Är kungafamiljen rädd för att vi ska få tyska förhållanden även i svensk press?
- Man tror att vi i Sverige har en annan grundsyn när det gäller rätten till privatliv, fortsätter Elisabeth Tarras-Wahlberg.

Expressen

Attachments

• 2844d171.jpg
    2844d171.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 198
New York, N.Y., USA - Royal Gala Dinner at SACC, The Swedish-American Chamber of Commerce, in New York. Photo: Thomas Engstrom

Attachments

• COLOUR10019621.jpg
    COLOUR10019621.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 187
New York, N.Y., USA - Royal Gala Dinner at SACC, The Swedish-American Chamber of Commerce, in New York

Attachments

• COLOUR10019620.jpg
    COLOUR10019620.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 195
New York, N.Y., USA - Royal Gala Dinner at SACC, The Swedish-American Chamber of Commerce, in New York

Attachments

• COLOUR10019617.jpg
    COLOUR10019617.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 195

Attachments

• COLOUR10019618.jpg
    COLOUR10019618.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 183

Attachments

• COLOUR10019616.jpg
    COLOUR10019616.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 180
COLOUR10019615.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom