Crown Princess Victoria's Official Visit to India: October 14-26, 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Has there been any explanation about why she wore a man's turban? I thought this was very bizarre, and I wonder if this was intentionally done, or if this was a mistake.
It was presented to her at one of the functions. Perhaps the local hosts are aware of their own customs. No need to assume Victoria just decided to put on a turban on a whim.

Please translate the article:

Blev utbuad på flygplanet | Nyheter | Aftonbladet

Which matter is on airport by return flight of the crown princess?

I don't agree with you! The crown princess attend the "round table for Swedish Nobel Memorial", prize-celebration Nobel quiz, Vice president Mr.Ansari, any SIDA-projects around India, in Pune school project and conference by stock exchange in Mumbai.

By state visits there is sightseeing, too. So, the crown princess made it, too - it's normaly.

The whole visit seems to consist strictly of photo ops. Apart from one visit to AIDS patients and one vist to a school for the blind, there wasn't anything presenting any content or purpose.
No speech, no charity, no issues... not enough in terms of substance for such a long visit of a Crown Princess, from my point of view.

Last edited by a moderator:
Victoria was supposed to stay in India until October 26, but according to the Swedish press she returned already on Friday.
Did anyone hear about the reason for her to cut the visit short?

Maybe the Court realized that there was an imbalance between forseseen duration and substance / purpose? At some point it gets pointless to arrange another occasion of Victoria posing in traditional clothes / in front of famous indian sightseeings.

That's what I fear might be correct, Duke of Marmelade, though this is hardly understandable given the amount of preparation that supposedly goes into such a visit.
The Crown Princess's visits to Bangladesh and Australia in 2004/5 for example had a tight and interesting schedule, connected to current events and issues both in terms of the Swedish business and cultural relations to these countries and charitable purposes.
By comparison, banging a gong to open the Bombay stock market day, congratulating the winner of some Nobel Quiz on stage, and visiting a SIDA project she is not even involved in as a patron somehow look pale as the actual highlights of this visit.
As for the turban issue... I am afraid that other pictures show the Crown Princess posing not only with a man's turban but putting a woman's veil on top of the turban by herself...
I doubt that any 'local' has ever seen the likes of it, and I'm surprised that the Princess would act in such a silly, ill-informed way. 'Funny' pictures maybe, but actually a major blunder.
This has been the only major visit abroad by her this year (she has remarkably cut down her traveling over the past couple of years), and I wouldn't label it a success, unfortunately.

It was presented to her at one of the functions. Perhaps the local hosts are aware of their own customs. No need to assume Victoria just decided to put on a turban on a whim.
Well, but I am not sure, if she was supposed to try it on...so if it actually was meant as "souvenier", a gift to remember her trip...

And I am now imaging Federal President Horst Köhler on a visit to Sweden getting the Swedish national costume for women as gift and trying it on immediately...or what about Crown Prince Willem Alexander on a visit to Sweden giving it a try :ROFLMAO:

Since the visit had started earlier and ended sooner, I guess they count they days of travelling and packing (though I am wondering, if Victoria wouldn´t stay in India a little longer, as she doesn´t seem to have duties next week and as she had done the same after her visit to China some years ago...)

I don't agree with you! The crown princess attend the "round table for Swedish Nobel Memorial", prize-celebration Nobel quiz, Vice president Mr.Ansari, any SIDA-projects around India, in Pune school project and conference by stock exchange in Mumbai.
Well, the first 3 days or so there had been duties with a connection to Sweden, but then there wasn´t any connection anymore. Wouldn´t it make much more sense for a crown princess to perform duties, which are related to Swedish-Indian ties?
And further the PR around this trip were organised in a lousy manner. Such trips aren´t cheap for both countries and if not many take notice...what is the meaning then?

The article in Aftonbladet is based on the one in Times now (posted by LadyFinn)

It's not too bad that the visit to India was cut a little short. To me I see the intent in wanting to travel to an up and coming nation. India is evolving and on a fast pace to change and develop modern technology common to first world countries like the US. I read here and there that the very culture of India is being intercepted by adaptations and changes that make it subject to losing it's renown affinity as an Indian cultured people.

There are speculations as to whether becoming a nuclear power and fast urban developed is helping their country men. There are ideas that maybe the changes towards modernization is causing discord. Personally I'm glad Princess Victoria has come to decide to travel and visit places in India for I think it is important to see to it that countries becoming closer to being first world are kept in watch. From our experiences as more developed countries, we can share and impart our skills and knowledge to see fit that no one in the world comes to harm along their way. Of course as we are noting recently, our very own markets are unstable and although we will come out of it well, we have issues to deal with amongst our success and greatness. Still, I think we have an obligation to commune and embetter each other's ways if possible. So with that said, I'm glad to see Princess Victoria make time to experience and take in India, it's people and culture. May she prosper. :flowers:

That's what I fear might be correct, Duke of Marmelade, though this is hardly understandable given the amount of preparation that supposedly goes into such a visit.
The Crown Princess's visits to Bangladesh and Australia in 2004/5 for example had a tight and interesting schedule, connected to current events and issues both in terms of the Swedish business and cultural relations to these countries and charitable purposes.
By comparison, banging a gong to open the Bombay stock market day, congratulating the winner of some Nobel Quiz on stage, and visiting a SIDA project she is not even involved in as a patron somehow look pale as the actual highlights of this visit.
As for the turban issue... I am afraid that other pictures show the Crown Princess posing not only with a man's turban but putting a woman's veil on top of the turban by herself...
I doubt that any 'local' has ever seen the likes of it, and I'm surprised that the Princess would act in such a silly, ill-informed way. 'Funny' pictures maybe, but actually a major blunder.
This has been the only major visit abroad by her this year (she has remarkably cut down her traveling over the past couple of years), and I wouldn't label it a success, unfortunately.
I find it insulting to the Indian hosts to assume they are not aware of their own traditions and customs. A simple google search will yield information about women and turbans. Victoria being a crownprincess and consequently very high on the social ladder was presented with a very colorful and beautifylly wrapped turban. The hosts honored her for being royal and a guest of honor.
These royal boards are wonderful opportunities to expand our knowledge of other cultures and traditions. We can probably always assume that the hosts will honor their royal guests in a way that makes the guest very special and also convey and honor the local culture.
If you have Sikh women in you neigborhood they may very well be wearing turbans under their head schal.
Victoria must have made her hosts very proud as she was wearing the garments presented to her in such a royal and regal way.

Grevinnan: If you read my former post carefully, you will find that I implied in no way that CP Victoria's Indian hosts might be unfamiliar with their own traditions, so I did not insult anyone either, but I was clearly expressing my thought that it must have been the Crown Princess who was regrettably ill-informed here.
I did my homework before the earlier post, and you are certainly correct that googling yields good information: In this case, that Victoria wore an Indian MAN's turban in its classic wide, round shape.
None of the pictures of the photo op show anyone putting this turban on her head, while others show that she herself seems to put a woman's veil on top of the turban - a combination that might make for a colorful picture, but will not be seen in my or anyone else's neighborhood.
If anyone has conflicting information, please correct me.
For me, this incident is just so unfortunately symbolic of a tour that IMO was not well planned to begin with, not announced properly, and finally, reduced to sight seeing and photo ops, turned into a missed opportunity - especially in comparison with other tours undertaken by the Crown Princess in the past, which were far more connected to the country's respective culture, economy, people and problematic issues.

I anyone is to blame for this incident it is the hosts. One does not present a gift to a woman that is something only a man would wear. The polite response to receiving the gift of a turban is to put it on. There are abundant photos of royals wearing a coloful collection of headwear received as gifts - Prince of Wales seems to get a lot of them.
Perhaps eventually there will be an explanation from the Indian hosts in Jodphur as to why a purely man's garment was presented to a royal woman. Unless it is considered an honor to be presented with a beautiful turban normally reserved for a few very special people.
Victoria did the right thing - if the hosts put her in an unfortunate position they owe her an apology.

Turbangate.
What's all about? She only wore a present - turban which she recived from Indian hosts. I wonder if anyone of them tell her if she can wear it or not or if her staff do that or not.

I do find it interesting that she wore skirts that showed her legs (they were not too short, by any western standards, but they showed her legs). I have heard from several friends who have traveled to India, as well as from a few of my Indian students, that it is not acceptable for women to show their legs in India. Has anyone else heard this? It doesn't seem like CP Victoria had any issues with her outfits, but this could be because she is royal. I can't imagine that CP Victoria would knowingly break this rule, and I would think that her advisors would research social mores before her trip. Is there anyone who can shed light on this?

In India, it’s perfectly acceptable for a Western woman to show her legs in public. Traditions are different and customs stricter in, for example, Brunei and Saudi Arabia. If you look back at former Royal visits to the respective countries, you’ll see that all Royal ladies took care to wear dresses with long sleeves and long(er) skirts in Saudi Arabia, while they didn’t do anything of the kind in India.
One thing I had hoped that CP Victoria might do is to have the country she visited reflect in her wardrobe for the trip, which is always a very nice Royal touch.
Princess Diana, Queen Silvia or Queen Beatrix did so by wearing especially bright colors made of silk in the country of vibrant colors and famous for its silk, and CP Mette Marit had a couple of beautiful shalwar kameez (the traditional dress of embroidered long-sleeved blouse over wide pants) designed for her when she and her husband visited India.
I would have loved for Victoria to pay homage to the country’s culture in her own shalwar kameez rather than playing ‘dressing up’ for one silly photo op and taking with her a wardrobe of almost entirely white, black, grey and brown in styles as if she was stepping out for some Stockholm appointment. It could have been part of a more careful preparation.

Last edited:
Personally I'm glad Princess Victoria has come to decide to travel and visit places in India for I think it is important to see to it that countries becoming closer to being first world are kept in watch. From our experiences as more developed countries, we can share and impart our skills and knowledge to see fit that no one in the world comes to harm along their way.

I do think the vast majority of Indians might consider this as quite a patronising statement!

I find it insulting to the Indian hosts to assume they are not aware of their own traditions and customs. A simple google search will yield information about women and turbans. Victoria being a crownprincess and consequently very high on the social ladder was presented with a very colorful and beautifylly wrapped turban. The hosts honored her for being royal and a guest of honor.
These royal boards are wonderful opportunities to expand our knowledge of other cultures and traditions. We can probably always assume that the hosts will honor their royal guests in a way that makes the guest very special and also convey and honor the local culture.
If you have Sikh women in you neigborhood they may very well be wearing turbans under their head schal.
Victoria must have made her hosts very proud as she was wearing the garments presented to her in such a royal and regal way.

My understanding is that a very small number of Sikh woman wear turbans, and that too, typically in the context of some religious functions. The turban that Victoria was pictured with was a Rajasthani turban, which as we know, is a different part of the country. Whilst it is not normal for women from Rajasthan to wear turbans, I do not think it caused any offence, so I do think it is a non-issue.

Please translate the article:

Blev utbuad på flygplanet | Nyheter | Aftonbladet

Which matter is on airport by return flight of the crown princess?
Here is an article about it in English: TIMESNOW.tv - Latest Breaking News, Big News Stories, News Videos -
I find it very disrespectful to boo not only because she is the Crown Princess but because people shouldn't boo without knowing the reason for the delay. :ermm:

Is there no option to enlarge the pictures from Royalportraits?

So it was official or private visit in India?

So it was official or private visit in India?

it is an official visit :flowers:

victoria looked delightful during the trip. i'm sure she enjoyed herself greatly. india must be such an interesting country!

Victoria is very lucky. I have been wanting to visit India for a very long time. It has been really great to be able to see the daily photos of her trip. Thank you to everyone who provided the links and information.

This must have been an amazing trip for her.

Here is a gallery:

Getty

Back
Top Bottom