Crown Princess Victoria's Education

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Working out in the gym or than usual perhaps? Or Victoria may be skiing?

Larzen said:
Its so very quiet on the Victoria front theese days, since new year and including this week she has only had nine engagements and that includes two christenings which is more like personal pleassure than work. Its really very little, even if she does some social and society studies, its not like she has any exams she has to do, any children to take care of, weddings to plan (sighs). Wonder what she is up to....

What's the other christening besides the norweagan? I think Victoria is one of the most hardworking royals. She is always making news about this even or that.

Kelly said:
What's the other christening besides the norweagan? I think Victoria is one of the most hardworking royals. She is always making news about this even or that.
She went to the christening of Prince Christian of Denmark.

She has been one of the most hardworking royals, that I can agree too. But however, since she's been cutting down on her official engagements for these "social and society studies" (which we don't know much about, like what they consist of, how she studies, with whom etc), she hasn't been out and about much. I hope this will change, I want to see her back to being the busy royal she used to be. I guess she will when these studies are over, but we don't know when that is...

Oh for heavens sake! Give the girl a break! She is ONLY 28!!! She is still young and has PLENTY of time to have a child when and if she is ready.
Now a days, women are having children with no problems to either themselves or the baby into their late 40's. So she has plenty of time. I would rather see her wait and take her time, hope she gets all her "playing and traveling" out of her system BEFORE she settles down with a spouse and a child. I would hate to see her end up with a marriage and a life like Diana, just because people wanted her to marry and have a child "before" a certain age!!

sesa said:
Oh for heavens sake! Give the girl a break! She is ONLY 28!!! She is still young and has PLENTY of time to have a child when and if she is ready.
Now a days, women are having children with no problems to either themselves or the baby into their late 40's. So she has plenty of time. I would rather see her wait and take her time, hope she gets all her "playing and traveling" out of her system BEFORE she settles down with a spouse and a child. I would hate to see her end up with a marriage and a life like Diana, just because people wanted her to marry and have a child "before" a certain age!!

While I also see, that 28 year old Victoria has "PLENTY" of time, I can´t understand, how one can come with the argument, that women today can still have children in their late 40ties!?
The decision, when to have a child is up to everyone, but one should be at least aware of the medical and social risks.
The risks of malformation and chromosomal disorders are growing with age. And for that medicine has no solution at the moment. It´s also evident, that fertility decreases up from ~25. Lurid tabloid articles on 60 year old women becoming mothers don´t reflect the reality. They neither tell how middle aged women try in vain to become mothers, nor they tell about the stress, when one has to deal with hormone treatment and IV. And they also don´t deal with the social problem. Who wants to have as high school student a mother, who is a case for the geriatric medicine? Or one, who has problems to do outdoor activities with the children?
I know of course, that also younger women can have problems with fertility, can get ill, die or get handicapped children, but the risk is growing enormously with age. Some know this and are ready for all kind of problems. But some women seem to me as if they would just follow the current trend of waiting and as if they would think getting the children at 44 is the same as if you would be 20. And these women are the reason, why I don´t like this trend and how it´s propagandised of some celebs and media.

GrandDuchess said:
She went to the christening of Prince Christian of Denmark.

She has been one of the most hardworking royals, that I can agree too. But however, since she's been cutting down on her official engagements for these "social and society studies" (which we don't know much about, like what they consist of, how she studies, with whom etc), she hasn't been out and about much. I hope this will change, I want to see her back to being the busy royal she used to be. I guess she will when these studies are over, but we don't know when that is...

Daniel´s gym opens on the 7th of March...I guess then slowly the "social studies" are over...must be fun to plan a new gym with the boyfriend :p
Nooooo, this was mean. We don´t know, what she really does...and she had "gap times" before, e.g. when she studied at Yale, or she had times, when she hadn´t performed many duties...e.g when she did traineeships in Berlin and Paris. But usually we got then always some kind of informations through the court or the newspapers. Something, which I really miss in this case...and which makes it so suspicious :confused:

I agree with you Lena, this is a little wierd. Usually there is information of what she studies, when and where and so on... but now: nothing.

I think she should be able to study just like any other young person in Sweden, but she is after all our crown princess and in a way we are her employer so some information isn´t to much to ask for imo

Lena said:
and she had "gap times" before, e.g. when she studied at Yale, or she had times, when she hadn´t performed many duties...e.g when she did traineeships in Berlin and Paris. But usually we got then always some kind of informations through the court or the newspapers. Something, which I really miss in this case...and which makes it so suspicious :confused:
Yes, but in those days we knew what she was doing. At Yale she was studying and recovering from her illness, and in Berlin and Paris she was working for Sweden - at those times it was okay for her to have an empty official calendar since she was busy studying or working, and it was too much to ask of her to come home all the time to attend events.

But now with these "social and society studies" we don't know anything, and she's studying in Sweden - so I don't think it would be too much to ask of her to take on a little more official work. It's not like she's at university or something like Princess Madeleine, then it's understandable that the time for official work is limited. But it seems Victoria's current studies are very privately handled, and she studies on her own...

Very mysterious indeed...

Maybe she is just taking time off? Or planning a wedding for next year?!

Maybe Victoria is just taking it a little bit easier this year. As others have said here, she's a very hard worker, and while I love to know what she's doing and see photos of her, I think she deserves to have a little bit of a break.

Last edited:
I have been out of the loop of the Swedith royal family's activities the last several weeks. What are the "social studies" that Victoria is involved in that I keep reading about in this thread? Is it something formal? Is it being done in Sweden or abroad? Is it with a formal organization like the UN or one of her patronages?

And is there a precedence that other royals take on such "social studies" classes?

Alexandria said:
I have been out of the loop of the Swedith royal family's activities the last several weeks. What are the "social studies" that Victoria is involved in that I keep reading about in this thread? Is it something formal? Is it being done in Sweden or abroad? Is it with a formal organization like the UN or one of her patronages?

And is there a precedence that other royals take on such "social studies" classes?

I'm not sure what Victoria's "social studies" are and what they pertain. IMO, it's an excuse the Royal Court uses to give Victoria a good rest. This way the people think Victoria is taking some sort of "Queen lessons" when really Victoria might just be cracking open a good book. Who knows what Victoria's doing these days? Her schedule is very unusual for her....maybe they're planning something big, eh?;)

Princess Victoria's Diplomat Studies at the Foreign Ministry: September 2006-May 2007

A press release from the Royal Court tells us that Crown Princess Victoria will take part in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs' 'Diplomat Programme' starting this September and ending in May 2007.

This is a highly sought after and exclusive programme to which only 20 people per time are accepted too, and which leads the participants directly into the Swedish diplomatic service afterwards. But I guess for Victoria it will merely be a part of her education, as the press release says.

I do wonder however, if they've accepted her exclusively, "on the side", or if she had to go through all the tests that the normal applicants have too. I guess not, since she won't become a working diplomat in the future.

I also wonder when they're gonna think that she's studied enough. Okay, learning new things and developing one's knowledge of the world is good - but next year she will turn 30. I wouldn't mind to see her turning into a full-time working royal, supporting her ever so hardworking parents a bit more...

http://www.royalcourt.se/ovrigt/pre...eddelanden/5.1a2467a10ad032dc26800015585.html

GrandDuchess said:
A press release from the Royal Court tells us that Crown Princess Victoria will take part in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs' 'Diplomat Programme' starting this September and ending in May 2007.

This is a highly sought after and exclusive programme to which only 20 people per time are accepted too, and which leads the participants directly into the Swedish diplomatic service afterwards. But I guess for Victoria it will merely be a part of her education, as the press release says.

I do wonder however, if they've accepted her exclusively, "on the side", or if she had to go through all the tests that the normal applicants have too. I guess not, since she won't become a working diplomat in the future.

I also wonder when they're gonna think that she's studied enough. Okay, learning new things and developing one's knowledge of the world is good - but next year she will turn 30. I wouldn't mind to see her turning into a full-time working royal, supporting her ever so hardworking parents a bit more...

http://www.royalcourt.se/ovrigt/pre...eddelanden/5.1a2467a10ad032dc26800015585.html

Crown Prince Haakon did the same thing in Norway. I guess that it is an excellent way to get to know things from the inside, so to speak.

GrandDuchess said:
I do wonder however, if they've accepted her exclusively, "on the side", or if she had to go through all the tests that the normal applicants have too. I guess not, since she won't become a working diplomat in the future
I just read an article about the Norwegian version of this program - UDs Aspirant kurs- (Read abou what you need to apply in Norwegian here and see an example of an exam here) and what it takes to get in and also read the swedish link provided by Grand Duchess, and however nice, friendly, polite, I very much doubt they would get in to theese programs the regular way. Having a (Masters) dregree is not enough, there are high language skills required, the knowledge of European and World politic must be at the top, the oral and written way you express youself has to be better than just good, and AFAIK Victoria has acknowleged beeing dyslexic and she is not a great orator either In my not so humbel oppinion;). On her side is that she has lived abroad and do speak several languages and has perfect english

Victoria having no degree, and has not taken an exam since she was 18 (I think), has not had a regular job in international relations (but she is a pro in meet and greet) I think would never be considered trough regular means. Ofcourse she has alot of more practical know how, has travelled and taken lots of courses and has meetings with world leaders and what not. Same with Haakon who AFAIK only had a bachelors degree and military educaton when he completed this Course. Haakon btw only took the 2nd year of the 3 year course and was a obious "special case"

But however they got in, I think it is good for their future work and certainly better than whatever social studies she has had this last year which noone seems to know what is about, atleast this is something formal, with a good reputation and certainly educational for her future job as Swedens foremost Diplomat:) Also important is that she will also get to meet and bond with very educated people, maybe from other mileus than the predominantly rich friends from Stockholm she has now where most of them seem to work in fashion and entertainment.

And BTW the Aspirant course was the last thing Haakon did before he got married:p but I think if she takes this course like all the others, and do all they do, I dont think we will se her much in public engagements this next year. But she is still not 30, her fellow male heirs around Europe also took their time to finnish their education, many of them are 6-7 years older than her and not all of them can claime 7 year of full time royal work....

Last edited:
Yes, I do agree with your assessement Larzen, there's now way she would be excepted to the Diplomat Programme on the means of her own education and knowledge, if her name was Victoria Svensson or something.

And as you say, it's a great merit and experience for their future work as heirs and one days as monarchs.

I do hope Crown Princess Victoria knows what she's getting herself into though, she can expect two hectic and hard terms, if she's going to follow the curriculum that all the "normal" participants undertake. It's one of the most prestigious things to have on your CV in Sweden, as the Diplomat Programme is highly sought after by the top students. But those who endure and cope it with grace are almost guaranteed a future in the Swedish Diplomatic Corps.

Larzen said:
And BTW the Aspirant course was the last thing Haakon did before he got married
Oooh, that sounds promising! But if there would be a wedding next summer, Victoria would get very tight of time to prepare for it, since the programme ends in May.

Last edited:
I think this sounds like a good course for her to take to help with her role.
I guess it's safe to say there won't be a Swedish wedding next year. But she's still young (not even 30), so there's no rush.

Larzen said:
But however they got in, I think it is good for their future work and certainly better than whatever social studies she has had this last year which noone seems to know what is about, atleast this is something formal, with a good reputation and certainly educational for her future job as Swedens foremost Diplomat:) Also important is that she will also get to meet and bond with very educated people, maybe from other mileus than the predominantly rich friends from Stockholm she has now where most of them seem to work in fashion and entertainment.

As this course is something which is available in Sweden, it makes sense to let the future head of the state be a participant - after all, she will be the representative of Sweden in the world one day. She'll have to work closely together with the Swedish ambassadours around the world when she travels abroad and so it's a good thing she knows how they were trained themselves.

It's a way of thinking which she needs to know - how to approach international conflicts and to solve them, if possible. Future diplomats all over the world are trained to deal with these responsibilities and it's a good thing she'll get the same training. Plus I know from the similar course of our Foreign ministry that the trainers do all to make it possible for the trainees to form friendships and bond together with the other diplomats of their course and with those who are already serving: it'll help later when a crisis arises in dealing with it if you know whom to trust.

Thus, I think it is a really smart idea for them to train the future queen - as for her being admitted: these courses have an aim. It's to give the best education to the future diplomats, a training before the "training on the job" starts. Victoria already has the job - good that she gets the training as well. :)

Pictures by Scanpix/Expressen, Scanpix/Stockholms City, Sven Nackstrand/Scanpix/Aftonbladet

Today was Crown Princess Victoria's first day back in "school" as the Diplomat Programme at the Ministry for Foreign Affairs started!

Excited to be chosen as the cream of the crop and Sweden's next generation of diplomats, Victoria and the other participants lined up outside the ministry's palace to let the press take a few pictures.

930 people applied to the Diplomat Programme this year, 20 was accepted. The programme will mix theory and practicals until next summer, when all participants have to do an internship - where they end up is decided by the Ministry in a draw.

Is it possible Crown Princess Victoria was accepted because of her status? Or was she chosen fairly?

Gita said:
Is it possible Crown Princess Victoria was accepted because of her status? Or was she chosen fairly?
Becaue of her status... she, unlike the other students, did not have to do a test.

From Getty

I wonder how she will fit in this bunch, I guess if you have worked probably your behind of, to get in this program, you might not look to friendly on those who gets in the back door.

Ok folks...some ppl say the only purpose of this diplomacy course is for Victoria to find an appropriate prince & hubby. Zero progress in the relationship to Daniel Westling (Well, maybe they are lovewise in higher spheres, but there seems to be no wedding on the way) speaks for this theory. It´s though not very likely, that it will be one of the boys there. But let´s play with the idea. Who would be in your opinion (look-wise!) "prince material" ;)

http://img181.imageshack.us/my.php?image=spc99320sc7.jpg (pic by scanpix)

Better pic of the blond guy in the last row:
blondieuw6.jpg

A topic more suitable for a gossip magazine.

grevinnan said:
A topic more suitable for a gossip magazine.

I love it, that so many things in life are predictable. This gives a feeling of safety. When writing the post on the boys in this course, I thought "How long will it take grevinnan to turn around the corner and to write one of her so typical posts on it?" :ROFLMAO: You were faster, than I had thought. Thanks for giving a bit of safety :flowers:

Lena said:
Ok folks...some ppl say the only purpose of this diplomacy course is for Victoria to find an appropriate prince & hubby. Zero progress in the relationship to Daniel Westling (Well, maybe they are lovewise in higher spheres, but there seems to be no wedding on the way) speaks for this theory. It´s though not very likely, that it will be one of the boys there. But let´s play with the idea. Who would be in your opinion (look-wise!) "prince material" ;)

http://img181.imageshack.us/my.php?image=spc99320sc7.jpg (pic by scanpix)

Better pic of the blond guy in the last row:
blondieuw6.jpg

Yeah a trained diplomat would be good for trips to foreign countries and surley more stylish :)

mixer2002de said:
Seems as Vicky is quite busy with her trainee program.
Yes, abd thats bad for us :) But we will get a chance to see her on thursday and she will be at the opening of the parliament together with her family... always something!

Lena said:
I love it, that so many things in life are predictable. This gives a feeling of safety. When writing the post on the boys in this course, I thought "How long will it take grevinnan to turn around the corner and to write one of her so typical posts on it?" :ROFLMAO: You were faster, than I had thought. Thanks for giving a bit of safety :flowers:

What about the guy on the right in the back, next to the red-haired woman.
http://img181.imageshack.us/my.php?image=spc99320sc7.jpg
He looks cute from what's visible.;) I think a budding diplomat would be a perfect consort for Victoria.:cool:

Back
Top Bottom