The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-01-2006, 06:31 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lena
and she had "gap times" before, e.g. when she studied at Yale, or she had times, when she hadnīt performed many duties...e.g when she did traineeships in Berlin and Paris. But usually we got then always some kind of informations through the court or the newspapers. Something, which I really miss in this case...and which makes it so suspicious
Yes, but in those days we knew what she was doing. At Yale she was studying and recovering from her illness, and in Berlin and Paris she was working for Sweden - at those times it was okay for her to have an empty official calendar since she was busy studying or working, and it was too much to ask of her to come home all the time to attend events.

But now with these "social and society studies" we don't know anything, and she's studying in Sweden - so I don't think it would be too much to ask of her to take on a little more official work. It's not like she's at university or something like Princess Madeleine, then it's understandable that the time for official work is limited. But it seems Victoria's current studies are very privately handled, and she studies on her own...

Very mysterious indeed...

Old 03-01-2006, 11:18 AM
Courtier

Maybe she is just taking time off? Or planning a wedding for next year?!

Old 03-01-2006, 03:16 PM
Heir Presumptive

Maybe Victoria is just taking it a little bit easier this year. As others have said here, she's a very hard worker, and while I love to know what she's doing and see photos of her, I think she deserves to have a little bit of a break.

Old 03-05-2006, 06:09 PM
Heir Apparent

I have been out of the loop of the Swedith royal family's activities the last several weeks. What are the "social studies" that Victoria is involved in that I keep reading about in this thread? Is it something formal? Is it being done in Sweden or abroad? Is it with a formal organization like the UN or one of her patronages?

And is there a precedence that other royals take on such "social studies" classes?
Old 03-05-2006, 06:33 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandria
I have been out of the loop of the Swedith royal family's activities the last several weeks. What are the "social studies" that Victoria is involved in that I keep reading about in this thread? Is it something formal? Is it being done in Sweden or abroad? Is it with a formal organization like the UN or one of her patronages?

And is there a precedence that other royals take on such "social studies" classes?
I'm not sure what Victoria's "social studies" are and what they pertain. IMO, it's an excuse the Royal Court uses to give Victoria a good rest. This way the people think Victoria is taking some sort of "Queen lessons" when really Victoria might just be cracking open a good book. Who knows what Victoria's doing these days? Her schedule is very unusual for her....maybe they're planning something big, eh?
Old 05-31-2007, 11:05 PM
Royal Highness

Location: Up the street,hang a left,3rd house from the corner, United States
Question Victoria's education

I did not know where to ask this but here goes:

With all of her studies here and there, does Victoria have a college/university degree?
Old 06-01-2007, 08:35 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerry
I did not know where to ask this but here goes:

With all of her studies here and there, does Victoria have a college/university degree?
No, she hasnīt an university degree. In Yale she studied this&that and only for 2 years. I remember, that she got some kind of diploma or something like that...but thatīs no real degree.

And then she has taken several courses and is now participating in the diplomacy course of the ministry for foreign affairs.

IMO it would have been better to do a full degree...and she probably would have had still enough time to get also an idea about other fields, than the one, she would have studied.
But of course things might not be that easy, if one is suffering from serious dyslexia.
Old 06-01-2007, 12:43 PM
Royal Highness

I would like to know the thought process of not having one but dabbling her and there? Isn't it the same case as the King? If it was good for him maybe its good for her? Maybe she'll be more well rounded for her role instead of concentrating in one area. Just a guess.
Old 06-01-2007, 06:36 PM
Heir Presumptive

I know Viictoria herself once said that she cannot focus on only one thing, she has to have a very varied education.

But perhaps she could have taken a minor degree, and then studied all the other things aswell. The Bernadottes are known to become very old so its not like she has to rush through her education which was a fact when the King studied. His grandfather was very old and could die anytime. He was just 27 when he became King so he did not have time to study for a long time.
Old 06-01-2007, 07:33 PM
Heir Apparent

Iīm agreeing with Yennie.

As it seems, it was for 1998 (and the years after it) planned, that Victoria would do the full study in political scienes. She was already registered in Uppsala and all. And then the anorexia/bulimia crossed her plans. I could very well imagine, that the idea of being a regular student in a public high prestige program of studies and suffering from dyslexia scared her a lot and contributed to the developlment of the eating disoders.

So I guess...there was a mix...for the king it was, with or without dyslexia, surely not bad to get some knowledge in various fields.
So this idea was surely also somehow planned for his daughter (and as Yennie pointed out, if things go well, she would have a good deal of time...and if she wouldnīt have had time...well...the basics, she already knew as charming toddler. Queens are born, not made...my personal opinion only of course )

But I guess, it was in the beginning also planned, that she would do a full study or maybe a full military career. And if you ask me, itīs not bad to do a full study. Maybe those, who are doing it or have done it, agree with me.

There is a lot of stuff, that isnīt maybe sooo important and in the times, one has to study it, one is cursing things...but at the end of the road, you simply have a broadened your horizon, you have a base, you can build on, and you have fighted it out.
I could imagine, if you are just staying somewhere for several weeks and without being graded, you are taking things less "seriously"
But this kind of job/internship hopping is of course fantastisk for creating a "network of support" with all kind of ppl. Maybe thatīs just the right thing a queen is needing (?)
Old 06-01-2007, 11:33 PM
Heir Presumptive

Considering there is no major at any university for "being queen" an interdisciplinary education is the most useful for her. She has spent enough time at Swedish US universities so she may already have enough credits for a degree. She is by no means uneducated - her career does not have a pre-determined educational track.
Old 06-02-2007, 10:36 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by grevinnan
Considering there is no major at any university for "being queen" an interdisciplinary education is the most useful for her
Comparing the studies of Haakon and Frederik with Victoria's, there seem to be some sort of "requirement." All three have been either training with the diplomatic corpse, and/or stationed at an embassy. They've studied political science. They've been training in their respective forces (army/navy).

Victoria might not have the Master's degree in Political Science that Haakon and Frederik has - but, personally, I think that the various courses that she has followed should by no means be discounted just because they don't give a formal title. All her courses seem to be directed towards her future position, and promoting Sweden. The education of a Queen.
Old 06-02-2007, 11:28 AM
Royal Highness

Yes. I thought that it would make her well rounded for her future roll. She seems to have been undergoing her education for quite some time also. I think it's safe to say that she is getting an extensive one as well. Though she might not be as old as her Crown Princely cousins are, she may be just as educated if not more.
Old 06-03-2007, 06:55 AM
Courtier

Often it is better for a person in Crown Princess Victoria's type of role to have studied/experinced many different subjects as opposed to one or two.
Old 12-17-2007, 03:20 PM
Imperial Majesty

Crown princess Victoria gave an interview to SVT today. She spoke at the TV about important issues:
Swedish crown princess plans to speak out on important issues/Earthtimes.org
Old 12-18-2007, 02:37 AM
Aristocracy

This interview has lead to a lot of speculation in Swedish media. The Crown Princess was asked about her further education and what she is going to do now that she has finished her training in Brussels. She didn't give any straight answers, and only said that she loves to learn new things and that we have to wait and see what happens. But then she ended the interview by saying that she might have some surprises in stall, and she smiled and blinked to the camera.
Now all experts have decided that she will get engaged in march, possibly on her name-day, and the wedding will take place in the early summer, probably june, since the weather is usually nice then.
These experts have been saying the exact same thing the last couple of years now, but maybe they'll finally get it right this time...
Old 12-18-2007, 02:48 AM
Aristocracy

SVT Play

Here's a link to the interview, it starts after a minute or two. It's only in Swedish, I'm afraid.
Need I say that one of the so called experts that appear on the show works for Svensk Damtidning, which published an article yesterday (17th), saying that the Countess of Wessex will (not might) have her baby on friday 21st and then stay at the hospital until Christmas Eve... Everything is booked and ready for this friday...
Old 12-18-2007, 02:14 PM
Courtier

With no disrespect to anyone but "experts" have been predicting since late 2003 that Crown Princess Victoria and Daniel Westling will be getting engaged very soon, so lets just wait and see what happens.
Old 12-18-2007, 02:57 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by grevinnan View Post
Countess of Wessex has delivered a boy.
I know that! Hence the

It doesn't take an expert to predict that a thirty-year-old woman in a steady relationship will get married within a few years time. Still, when she do get married, those "experts" will all go; "I told you so" and take credit for their knowledge and intuition.
I'm sure that any member of this forum is more of a royal expert than those who claim they are in magazines and on television.
Old 01-16-2008, 07:49 PM
Heir Apparent

I think that Crown Princess Victoria is beautiful. She also seems like a very intelligent and nice person. I salute her for pursuing educational interests in a low-key way. She seems to be one of the most down-to-earth royals today.

Tags
crown princess victoria, education, university