Crown Princess Victoria's Battle with Anorexia

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yennie

Heir Presumptive
City
Skåne
Country
Sweden
Victoria was so thin in 1997.. good to see that she could fight the anorexia. she looks so much helthier now!

Last edited by a moderator:
Victoria and her anorexia

CP Victoria suffered from anorexia as a teen. She talked about it in an interview in Aftonbladet in 1999: Aftonbladet nyheter: Victoria berättar om sina ätstörningar, and revealed how she could get excellent treatment for it in Sweden, but not the peace and quiet she needed. She went to the USA to study, and to seek help.

Attachments

• 1-1.jpg
    1-1.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 25,765
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 87,504
Victoria and her anorexia

:huh:

Attachments

• Victoria___v_ren96___november97.jpg
    Victoria___v_ren96___november97.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 40,764
It almost hurt to see those pictures...
She looks so thin in the one from 1997. Im glad she has recovered from her eating disorder now

Originally posted by Yennie@Nov 2nd, 2003 - 4:07 pm
Im glad she has recovered from her eating disorder now
Who knows. She always straightens out that you can´t be fully recovered, when you once suffered from an eating disorder. And her never ending weight fluctuations are a little bit strange (ok, a lot of woman, who are-at least officially healthy- are doing the same. And always when I look at the big viktklubben-rubric/part in Aftonbladet, I´ve the feeling that this is big topic in Sweden.). But I naturally hope she has really recovered!

" And always when I look at the big viktklubben-rubric in Aftonbladet"

What does this mean?

I'm getting individual words but not the whole thing.

It´s not really important. But I know the problem with the pieced swedish words...which are NEVER in the dictionary.
Viktklubben means weight-club, and it´s an more or less interactive "platform"/rubric in the swedish tabloid AFTONBLADET, where you can slim with other swedish people...you get also a lot of tips how to slim there.

Lena  Posted: Nov 2nd, 2003 - 5:48 pm

Viktklubben means weight-club

"weight club" ... is also an old word for a fitness gym .... Daniel's gym.

Originally posted by King Christian@Nov 2nd, 2003 - 5:52 pm

"weight club" ... is also an old word for a fitness gym .... Daniel's gym.
:lol: NOOOOOOOOOOO, Daniel´s gym isn´t contact point for all chubby Swedes ;)
This is just an internet-community for people, who want to loose a little (or a little bit more), started of a tabloid

Personally I think, that her face matured in the last 2 years, and those baby-like-cheeks (another word-creation of me ;) ) "melted" almost away.
But that wasn´t the point of my post! I wrote that I consider it as strange that Victoria still looses a lot, and gain it back then. And then I wrote that a lot of OTHER women are doing the same-and then I refered to this Aftonbladet-topic, because I guess that most members of this club are women, who experience a lot with their weight. In german we use the term "yo-yo-dieting").
BTW her mother had also more meat on the bones, when she was younger. But since she´s queen she lives such a disciplined life, that it´s almost spooky ;) and not comprehensible.

Dennism  Posted: Nov 2nd, 2003 - 6:30 pm

Victoria, rather chubby cheeks throughout her life, is on this plan? Odd because their mother has a rather skinny face.

Interesting of you to bring that up. Victoria also has that tan look, if I am not mistaken. So, these two things are part of a South American heritage of Sylvia's father marrying a Brazilian lady ?

The whole family (even the king) can get really tanned, when they stay a long time in the sun. But in recent years the Queen and Victoria avoided to go to much and uncovered into the sun. Probably the Queen fears wrinkles and Victoria, who even was in the noon sunbathing in earlier years, got in recent years freckles and pigmented moles...so she has probably stopped intensive tanning, what a luck, that at least little Madeleine is living on the tanning bed :p (ok, ok I stop this sarkasm...she has also stopped that a little bit).
But I agree all three Royal children have a little bit of their maternal grandmother Alice Sommerlath (nee de Toledo).
And talking about physical similarities between Victoria and her mother...Victoria has the shape of the face of her mother (it´s not a 1:1-copy, because Victoria´s face is more roundish and her chin is more prominent) and the forehead-eye-part of her face is like the one of her mother. The nose and the mouth and the size of her eyes are from her father. So she actually looks more like her father, but when I look at Victoria as a whole, and when I compare it with older pics of Silvia, she looks more like Silvia. :blink:

Lena  Posted on Nov 2nd, 2003 - 7:11 pm

The whole family (even the king) can get really tanned
True ... that is the normal tan. And then there is the inherited tan, the tan that Spaniards and Brazilians are born with. :)

at least little Madeleine is living on the tanning bed (ok, ok I stop this sarkasm...she has also stopped that a little bit).
you mean her summer tan was a combination of lying on the sand beach and on the tanning beach? Wow!

And talking about physical similarities between Victoria and her mother...Victoria has the shape of the face of her mother (it´s not a 1:1-copy, because Victoria´s face is more roundish and her chin is more prominent) and the forehead-eye-part of her face is like the one of her mother. The nose and the mouth and the size of her eyes are from her father. So she actually looks more like her father, but when I look at Victoria as a whole, and when I compare it with older pics of Silvia, she looks more like Silvia.
I never looked that close to see where she had her father's attributes. And I agree, Victoria (and Madeleine) take after their mother. Now, where does that leave Carl Philip ? ;)

Originally posted by King Christian@Nov 2nd, 2003 - 7:31 pm
Lena  Posted on Nov 2nd, 2003 - 7:11 pm

The whole family (even the king) can get really tanned
True ... that is the normal tan. And then there is the inherited tan, the tan that Spaniards and Brazilians are born with. :)

at least little Madeleine is living on the tanning bed (ok, ok I stop this sarkasm...she has also stopped that a little bit).
you mean her summer tan was a combination of lying on the sand beach and on the tanning beach? Wow!

And talking about physical similarities between Victoria and her mother...Victoria has the shape of the face of her mother (it´s not a 1:1-copy, because Victoria´s face is more roundish and her chin is more prominent) and the forehead-eye-part of her face is like the one of her mother. The nose and the mouth and the size of her eyes are from her father. So she actually looks more like her father, but when I look at Victoria as a whole, and when I compare it with older pics of Silvia, she looks more like Silvia.
I never looked that close to see where she had her father's attributes. And I agree, Victoria (and Madeleine) take after their mother. Now, where does that leave Carl Philip ? ;)
If you mean the natural darker pigmented skin of people living in Brazil (of course not all, but the majority), so I don´t think, she has inherited that from her grandma. Cp Victoria is really pale in winter.
What is a steel beach? I didn´t mean her summer-tan, which was quite "normal" , but her tan in this spring. A horrible mix between "holiday in Marbella" and an "intensive time on the tanning bed" (probably she has an own, or Daniel Westling has a couple of them in his gym). Sorry, that I´ve to say this...but she looked like a mummy (why do you have in english the same word for mother-I remember that there was a letter with the word "mummy" on the coffin of princess Diana and for "a half rotten dead body"-that´s really macabre!) , and if she doesn´t care, she will look like her aunt Birgitta in a few years.
Yes, Carl-Philip has (except his eye-colour) not much from his mother. He´s in every way (character, look, taste of women) his father!

Picture of Madeleine in spring 2003:

Attachments

• shock.jpeg
    shock.jpeg
    18.3 KB · Views: 19,599
Lena  Posted: Nov 2nd, 2003 - 8:03 pm

What is a steel beach?

the same as a tanning bed. All tanning beds I have seen, look like a lot of steel.

I didn´t mean her summer-tan, which was quite "normal" , but her tan in this spring. A horrible mix between "holiday in Marbella" and an "intensive time on the tanning bed" (probably she has an own, or Daniel Westling has a couple of them in his gym). Sorry, that I´ve to say this...but she looked like a mummy (why do you have in english the same word for mother-I remember that there was a letter with the word "mummy" on the coffin of princess Diana and for "a half rotten dead body"-that´s really macabre!) , and if she doesn´t care, she will look like her aunt Birgitta in a few years.

yepp ... macabre, mummy other words I thought about when I first saw the picture were: brown (death) mask, ugly (like flirting with death).

Yes, Carl-Philip has (except his eye-colour) not much from his mother. He´s in every way (character, look, taste of women) his father!

Well ... in this respect, you would know more ;)

"but she looked like a mummy (why do you have in english the same word for mother-I remember that there was a letter with the word "mummy" on the coffin of princess Diana and for "a half rotten dead body"-that´s really macabre!) , and if she doesn´t care, she will look like her aunt Birgitta in a few years"

Well, now. Mummy is only a pet name for the mother. Like Ma or Mama. It should be noted that in Mandarin the sound that one makes saying "Ma", when pronounced in a different way can be the word for Mother or for a curse word that I will not repeat. It should be noted that "Mummy" for the thing found in Egyptian pyramids goes back to the Latin "Mumia", the Arabic "mumiyah" and the Persian, "Mum" which refers to wax.

Crown Princess Victoria Current Events Part 7 (December 2003-April 2004)

Hello.
I would like to know:
-Is it just me, or she has lost weight recently? :cry: I have been struggling with anorexia for about 6 years now and it would make me so sad to hear she fell sick again!!
-Is there a way I can find the article that was published in a "Paris Match" magazine, in 1997,in which they reported her struggle with anorexia?:huh:
-How many languages does she speak?What language is spoken in Sweden?:huh:
Thank you so much!
Angel101

have you looked at the bio posted on victoria look further up at this forum

Last edited:
picture from 1997

Attachments

• 1997_17.jpg
    1997_17.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 32,614
Translated article from Expressen 3 May:

Victoria helps Olympic star to cure from eating disorder
Yesterday in Expressen’s sport section, Emma Igelström announced that she is forced to give up this year Olympic Games in Athens, in order to fight her eating disorder. One who knows what the swimming star is going through is Crown Princess Victoria. Last weekend the two sat next to each other at a dinner – and Victoria expressed her support when they spoke to each other.
- The Crown Princess has great sympathy for Emma, says the Director of the Royal Information and Press Office, Elisabeth Tarras-Wahlberg.

Last Saturday the Swedish Swimming Association celebrated their 100-years jubilee in the Vinterträdgården at Grand Hôtel in Stockholm. Closer to 300 athletic profiles, among them Ulrika Knape, Anna Lindberg and Gunnar Larsson, were invited to the party. Guest of honour was Crown Princess Victoria, who apart from the Olympic Gold Winner Bent Baron, also had Emma Igelström to the table.

Yesterday the 24-year-old swimming queen from Karlshamn announced that she is taking a time out from the swimming on an indefinite time, to get treatment for her illness bulimia, which has haunted her for over eight years.

Spoke about the illness
At the jubilee party, she and the Crown Princess are said to have talked about the illness.
- The Crown Princess has great sympathy for Emma in this situation, says the Director of the Royal Information and Press Office, Elisabeth Tarras-Wahlberg.
- She knows that it’s hard and that every eating disorder is individual, but she hopes that Emma will be able to reach good results in her own way.

In November 1997, it was revealed that Victoria had been hit with eating disorders with the words “The Crown Princess is very ambitious and got in an evil circle. She received a lot of praise for handling the assignments so well and this in its turn increased the demands on her taking on even more”.

Told on radio
When Victoria two years later got well from the anorexia, she gave her view on the illness in a radio interview.
- There are so many other things that are hard about an eating disorder. Even if the actual disease is over and you are well, hard periods can come back.
- It’s not easy for a person to say a thing like that, the Crown Princess said.

Birgitta Jonsson who is concept director at the Anorexia Centre in Varberg, says that Victoria’s support is important:
- It’s always good with positive role models, especially when they are well and has gotten away from the problems. Then you can see that it is possible. It can also be so that you listen more to certain persons, depending on which position they have, even if it’s so that the disease is always individual, she says.

Email and greetings
Emma Igelström yesterday received huge amounts of encouraging emails and greetings from the Swedish people that support her in the struggle. She says that she’s grateful for all the support, not the least from Victoria.
- That Crown Princess Victoria shows her compassion in my struggles is very pleasing, not just for me, but for others with the same problems around Sweden.

Thank you for translating this article, GrandDuchess :flower:
IMO there you can feel a little bit "tabloid-character". The headline sounds as if Victoria would talk directly to Emma Igelström... Yes, there is mentioned, that they talked about Emma´s problems at the swimming-gala, but when you read Expressen for a longer time you learn to read between the lines ("are said to have talked about the illness"-sounds as if they would have found a "secret source" again ;) )
Anyway, I wish Emma Igelström all the best, and that she will reap a lot of gold medals in the future for Sweden (but of course there are more important things for her now than gold medals)

Bravo to Victoria(If indeed they talked about the illness as is implied. I mean if Elisabeth mentioned it...) and good luck to Emma. I think I had read about Emma a few months back in one of those papers. I hope she will do better in the future and recover as quickly as possible. Lycka till, Emma!

BTW does anybody know, if Emma Igelström ever got the "Victoria-sports-award" (which is given on Victoria´s birthday) and who will get it this year?

Ok, I can (Thanks to Mr. Google) answer my question... http://www.victoriadagen.nu/stipendiet.asp
Emma Igelström didn´t get it (but she was on the nomination-list last year) and the candidate for 2004 isn´t announced so far.

I actully think she thanked the crown princess in a open larttter.

Jag är djupt rörd och glad över den respons jag har fått från hela svenska folket, det betyder väldigt mycket för mig och mitt tillfrisknande. TACK!
Att kronprinsessan Victoria visat sitt deltagande i min kamp är oerhört glädjande, inte bara för mig, utan också för andra med samma problem runt om i Sverige.

Emma Igelström

From where is the letter?

Originally posted by Lena@May 3rd, 2004 - 5:00 pm
From where is the letter?
from expressen but I do not think they made it up
its a open thank you letter

link

ok, thank you Josefine

I´ve just meant, that I don´t think that Victoria talked DIRECTLY to Emma

Originally posted by Lena@May 3rd, 2004 - 10:48 am
Ok, I can (Thanks to Mr. Google) answer my question... http://www.victoriadagen.nu/stipendiet.asp
Emma Igelström didn´t get it (but she was on the nomination-list last year) and the candidate for 2004 isn´t announced so far.
Emma is in this photo at the banquet

<picture removed, as link doesn't work - Norwegianne>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom