The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-03-2004, 08:51 AM
Heir Apparent

Translated article from Expressen 3 May:

Victoria helps Olympic star to cure from eating disorder
Yesterday in Expressen’s sport section, Emma Igelström announced that she is forced to give up this year Olympic Games in Athens, in order to fight her eating disorder. One who knows what the swimming star is going through is Crown Princess Victoria. Last weekend the two sat next to each other at a dinner – and Victoria expressed her support when they spoke to each other.
- The Crown Princess has great sympathy for Emma, says the Director of the Royal Information and Press Office, Elisabeth Tarras-Wahlberg.

Last Saturday the Swedish Swimming Association celebrated their 100-years jubilee in the Vinterträdgården at Grand Hôtel in Stockholm. Closer to 300 athletic profiles, among them Ulrika Knape, Anna Lindberg and Gunnar Larsson, were invited to the party. Guest of honour was Crown Princess Victoria, who apart from the Olympic Gold Winner Bent Baron, also had Emma Igelström to the table.

Yesterday the 24-year-old swimming queen from Karlshamn announced that she is taking a time out from the swimming on an indefinite time, to get treatment for her illness bulimia, which has haunted her for over eight years.

Spoke about the illness
At the jubilee party, she and the Crown Princess are said to have talked about the illness.
- The Crown Princess has great sympathy for Emma in this situation, says the Director of the Royal Information and Press Office, Elisabeth Tarras-Wahlberg.
- She knows that it’s hard and that every eating disorder is individual, but she hopes that Emma will be able to reach good results in her own way.

In November 1997, it was revealed that Victoria had been hit with eating disorders with the words “The Crown Princess is very ambitious and got in an evil circle. She received a lot of praise for handling the assignments so well and this in its turn increased the demands on her taking on even more”.

Told on radio
When Victoria two years later got well from the anorexia, she gave her view on the illness in a radio interview.
- There are so many other things that are hard about an eating disorder. Even if the actual disease is over and you are well, hard periods can come back.
- It’s not easy for a person to say a thing like that, the Crown Princess said.

Birgitta Jonsson who is concept director at the Anorexia Centre in Varberg, says that Victoria’s support is important:
- It’s always good with positive role models, especially when they are well and has gotten away from the problems. Then you can see that it is possible. It can also be so that you listen more to certain persons, depending on which position they have, even if it’s so that the disease is always individual, she says.

Email and greetings
Emma Igelström yesterday received huge amounts of encouraging emails and greetings from the Swedish people that support her in the struggle. She says that she’s grateful for all the support, not the least from Victoria.
- That Crown Princess Victoria shows her compassion in my struggles is very pleasing, not just for me, but for others with the same problems around Sweden.

Old 05-03-2004, 10:00 AM
Heir Apparent

Thank you for translating this article, GrandDuchess :flower:
IMO there you can feel a little bit "tabloid-character". The headline sounds as if Victoria would talk directly to Emma Igelström... Yes, there is mentioned, that they talked about Emma´s problems at the swimming-gala, but when you read Expressen for a longer time you learn to read between the lines ("are said to have talked about the illness"-sounds as if they would have found a "secret source" again )
Anyway, I wish Emma Igelström all the best, and that she will reap a lot of gold medals in the future for Sweden (but of course there are more important things for her now than gold medals)

Old 05-03-2004, 10:24 AM
Majesty

Location: East of the sun and west of the moon, United States
Bravo to Victoria(If indeed they talked about the illness as is implied. I mean if Elisabeth mentioned it...) and good luck to Emma. I think I had read about Emma a few months back in one of those papers. I hope she will do better in the future and recover as quickly as possible. Lycka till, Emma!
Old 05-03-2004, 10:41 AM
Heir Apparent

BTW does anybody know, if Emma Igelström ever got the "Victoria-sports-award" (which is given on Victoria´s birthday) and who will get it this year?
Old 05-03-2004, 10:48 AM
Heir Apparent

Ok, I can (Thanks to Mr. Google) answer my question... http://www.victoriadagen.nu/stipendiet.asp
Emma Igelström didn´t get it (but she was on the nomination-list last year) and the candidate for 2004 isn´t announced so far.
Old 05-03-2004, 11:28 AM
Majesty

I actully think she thanked the crown princess in a open larttter.

Quote:

Jag är djupt rörd och glad över den respons jag har fått från hela svenska folket, det betyder väldigt mycket för mig och mitt tillfrisknande. TACK!
Att kronprinsessan Victoria visat sitt deltagande i min kamp är oerhört glädjande, inte bara för mig, utan också för andra med samma problem runt om i Sverige.

Emma Igelström
Old 05-03-2004, 12:00 PM
Heir Apparent

From where is the letter?
Old 05-03-2004, 12:04 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally posted by Lena@May 3rd, 2004 - 5:00 pm
From where is the letter?
from expressen but I do not think they made it up
its a open thank you letter

link
Old 05-03-2004, 12:09 PM
Heir Apparent

ok, thank you Josefine

I´ve just meant, that I don´t think that Victoria talked DIRECTLY to Emma
Old 05-03-2004, 03:28 PM
Majesty

Location: East of the sun and west of the moon, United States
Quote:
Originally posted by Lena@May 3rd, 2004 - 10:48 am
Ok, I can (Thanks to Mr. Google) answer my question... http://www.victoriadagen.nu/stipendiet.asp
Emma Igelström didn´t get it (but she was on the nomination-list last year) and the candidate for 2004 isn´t announced so far.
Emma is in this photo at the banquet

<picture removed, as link doesn't work - Norwegianne>
Old 05-03-2004, 03:32 PM
Heir Apparent

So Victoria and her really sat at on table...I tend to believe NOTHING what Expressen publish...maybe I should do more
Old 05-03-2004, 03:41 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally posted by Lena@May 3rd, 2004 - 2:32 pm
So Victoria and her really sat at on table...I tend to believe NOTHING what Expressen publish...maybe I should do more
Why?
Old 05-03-2004, 03:49 PM
Heir Apparent

Why what?
I didn´t believe it, because there were no pictures of the gala in Expressen (or any note) and so I thought they wanted to establish a connection between Victoria and Emma.

And obviously it´s not made up...and therefore I said, that I should try to be less suspicious...or only read reliable sources like DN or SVD...
Old 06-02-2009, 01:26 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lena View Post
Personally I think, that her face matured in the last 2 years, and those baby-like-cheeks (another word-creation of me ) "melted" almost away.
But that wasn´t the point of my post! I wrote that I consider it as strange that Victoria still looses a lot, and gain it back then. And then I wrote that a lot of OTHER women are doing the same-and then I refered to this Aftonbladet-topic, because I guess that most members of this club are women, who experience a lot with their weight. In german we use the term "yo-yo-dieting").
We use that term in American English as well: yo-yo dieting. It usually refers to gaining and losing the same amount of weight over time and can be more harmful than being overweight in the first place. I've heard "baby cheeks" and "chipmunk cheeks" used for cute, chubby cheeks also. Everyone is their own worse critic as far as body image goes, I'm glad to see that Victoria did get treatment before it was too late. Usually with anorexia it's an issue of control as much as body image. Was hers just the anorexia or was there bulimia also? There was a student in my school who was bulimic and it was difficult watching her struggle with treatment but it was successful, thank goodness.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:03 AM
Heir Apparent

Here is an article that People did about the subject:

Slip of a Girl : People.com

I am glad Victoria is better and was strong.It makes people realize that she is human.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:59 AM
Commoner

Such a difference. She is looking far healthier now. Good on her for beating this.

Tags
anorexia