Relationships Between Members of the Swedish Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Grandduchess24

Serene Highness
City
Cambridge
Country
United States
Victoria's family relationship with The Swedish royal family I.e. her father the king, her mother the queen her siblings the prince and princess of Sweden and her cousins .

I would like to know in particular how everyone thinks she feels about Princess Madeleine lately?

First of all, Mad's work in the US (which has been controversial, at least on this board)?

Then, her boyfriend? (I'd love to be a fly on the wall of the palace regarding Mad's and C-P's significant others)

Anyway, just bumping the thread.

not to be inappropriate but i'd like to know how she feels about her father the king and how he cheated on the queen and if she already knew too? (supposingly the queen knew)

[i know we'll never know of course!]

Relationship between Carl Gustaf, Silvia and his Sisters

I don't know , if this was discussed in TRF​

How close relationship have The King and The Queen with King's sisters?​
:)

From what I remeber from reading articles and books, the relationship between king Carl Gustav and his youngest sister princess Christina was very close when they were children and while growing up, as the age difference is only three years. Christina also functioned as a hostess and First Lady after her mother's death in 1972 until the king married queen Silvia, and I would guess that Silvia got much help and advice from Christina during the first years. The two families also have children in the same age, so there are probably a close relationship between the royals and the family of princess Christina, especially as Christina and her family also lives in Stockholm.

As for the three elder sisters, they are 8, 9 and 12 years older than the king, and they might not have had that much in common when they were children, and the king was only 15 and 18 years old when his sisters married and moved away from home, two of them abroad and the third away from Stockholm, so the princesses' relationship to their brother and his family is probably a bit more distant than Christina's.

From what I remeber from reading articles and books, the relationship between king Carl Gustav and his youngest sister princess Christina was very close when they were children and while growing up, as the age difference is only three years. Christina also functioned as a hostess and First Lady after her mother's death in 1972 until the king married queen Silvia, and I would guess that Silvia got much help and advice from Christina during the first years. The two families also have children in the same age, so there are probably a close relationship between the royals and the family of princess Christina, especially as Christina and her family also lives in Stockholm.

As for the three elder sisters, they are 8, 9 and 12 years older than the king, and they might not have had that much in common when they were children, and the king was only 15 and 18 years old when his sisters married and moved away from home, two of them abroad and the third away from Stockholm, so the princesses' relationship to their brother and his family is probably a bit more distant than Christina's.

:previous: Thank you very much,Meraude :flowers:
I have same opinion because age difference and of that we can see,Christina is always at Nobel Ceremony or in some other royal activities and it's seems like they are close :),plus Christina and Queen Silvia is same age ;)

In addition to the age thing, as was previously pointed out - Princess Christina and her family live in Stockholm, which makes it more convenient for her participation.

Since Princess Desiree still lives in Sweden, she has also been present for some state visits, king's dinners for parliament, and Nobel dinners over the years since CG & Silvia were married. In addition, she is one of CP Victoria's godparents.

In addition to being over a decade older, Birgitta and Margaretha live further away in Spain and England, respectively. Also, Margaretha has lived a very low-key life since marriage and family.

It was very nice to see all of them and all of their children at the wedding in 2010.

As for the participation of princess Christina at the Nobel Cermony, I don't think it's just because it's more convenient for her as she lives in Stockholm, I think she also enjoys taking part and she almost always have the litterature laureate to the table.

Princess Désirée also takes part in some representation, but I think she is more of private person than Christina is, and prefers to live a quiet family life outside the media attention.

Princess Margaretha is the most private of the four sisters, and the only representation she does is the opening of the Christmas market at the Swedish Church in London.

Princess Birgitta is probably the most outgoing of the sisters, and I think that if she had lived closer to Stockholm she would have been more active taking part in representation and so on, but she was the first one to marry and moved to München. Now one of her hobbies is golf and she does take part in some celebrity golf tournaments in Sweden. Birgitta and Désirée have always been very close since they were children and they were born just one year apart, and I read that Désirée have a holiday apartment in Spain next door to Birgitta.

Of course crown princess Victoria oa closest to her cousins the crown prince haakon of norway and the crown prince of Denmark Frederick as well as prince willem alexander and princess maxima of the Netherlands.

Of course crown princess Victoria oa closest to her cousins the crown prince haakon of norway and the crown prince of Denmark Frederick as well as prince willem alexander and princess maxima of the Netherlands.
Haakon and Frederik are not her cousins although they are related.

Haakon and Frederik are not her cousins although they are related.

I consider my second cousins and first cousins the same as that's close enough IMO so perhaps Frederik and Victoria feel similar as they spend more time together than Victoria with her maternal cousins and Frederik with his French relatives. :)

I consider my second cousins and first cousins the same as that's close enough IMO so perhaps Frederik and Victoria feel similar as they spend more time together than Victoria with her maternal cousins and Frederik with his French relatives. :)

Considering how close Silvia is with her brothers and their families and that at least one of her nephews lived in Stockholm ( and may still live there) one can perhaps assume that Victoria and her siblings grew up very close to her maternal cousins, aunts and uncles. And there is not much evidence that the Scandinavian royal families spent much private time together other than major family events. Being related albeit not first cousins but mostly due to their unique positions of being close in age and crown princes/princess of the three scandinavian countries may be a unifying bond between Frederik, Haakon and Victoria.

King Carl XVI Gustaf and Queen Margarethe II are cousins and King Carl XVI gustaf and king Harald V of Norway are cousins. Crown prince Haakon of Norway is a descendent of both Queen Victoria and King Christian IX. Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden is a descendent of Queen Victoria and Crown Prince Fredrik of Denmark is a descendent of King Christian IX so in a way they are cousins plus the king of Sweden is somehow related to most of European royalty.

Considering how close Silvia is with her brothers and their families and that at least one of her nephews lived in Stockholm ( and may still live there) one can perhaps assume that Victoria and her siblings grew up very close to her maternal cousins, aunts and uncles. And there is not much evidence that the Scandinavian royal families spent much private time together other than major family events. Being related albeit not first cousins but mostly due to their unique positions of being close in age and crown princes/princess of the three scandinavian countries may be a unifying bond between Frederik, Haakon and Victoria.

:previous: I'm not doubting that, but if you look back at threads in both Victoria (and Daniel) and Frederik (and Mary)'s forums you would see that many private events are attended by each other such as random birthdays (not just milestones i.e. 30th or 40th), that they've spoken of their closeness, and so forth...

I'm new here and have a question. I was reading a thread on the Norwegian royal family and their relationships and someone mentioned something about CP Victoria. It sounded like she was unhappy about not seeing her parents enough and spending too much time with a nanny as a child. Does anyone know anything more about this? I always thought the Swedish royal family seemed quite close and happy so I hope this isn't true.

I cannot find the exact quote, but i think she said that she was with the nanny a lot especially when her parents where out of the country, but i don't think she meant that they weren't close. In fact, i remember her saying that her dad is her teacher and she learns from him and look up to him. Also, their parents being away made CP victoria and her siblings closer, as they said Victoria would act like a little mother for her siblings.

I remember Victoria saying in an Interview, that as she were younger, she did not understand, why her parents haven't been at home in the evening and that she cared for her siblings. Of course I'm sure that there was a Nanny, but she meant it as a big sister I think.

Whenever you have siblings, one of them always seems to take the lead or the ones whose see as being in charge, so to speak. Or the one that everyone goes to when they need advice or someone to talk with.

Burn! That is not a good omen. If you don't get tight with a your partners female relations, they can make pretty miserable for you....Remember: the man may be the head but the women's the neck and she can turn the head any way she want's.

I find the fb massage very cold, too. 'wife-to-be' not even mentioning her name.

That's not correct, the message on FB is: "I'm so happy for my brother and Sofia, his wife to be!"

Did some scrolling on FB-page, at CP's recent birthday she posted:
"Happy Birthday Carl Philip!"
That's also pretty much as basic a message as you can post there ;-) I write more birthday-words for FB-friends I barely know :lol:
So either they're not that close or we shouldn't think to much behind these messages..

Last edited:
That's not correct, the message on FB is: "I'm so happy for my brother and Sofia, his wife to be!"

That's also pretty much as basic a message as you can post there ;-) I write more birthday-words for FB-friends I barely know :lol:
So either they're not that close or we shouldn't think to much behind these messages..

We know the siblings are very close and people are reading too much into the messages and even the pictures. I think that's being done because some folks are looking for a sign from the family of not liking Sofia or the engagement. They dislike her so therefore they want the family to dislike her.

Last edited:
We know the siblings are very close and people are reading too much into the messages and even the pictures. I think that's being done because some folks are looking for a sign from the family of not liking Sofia or the engagement. They dislike her so therefore they want the family to dislike her.

Well, to me Madeleine's congratulation was cold, but appropriate. But she didn't welcome Sofia to the royal family.
When Daniel had his 40th birthday last year, Madeleine wrote:
Happy 40th Birthday Daniel! It is so wonderful that you are part of our family!

Well, to me Madeleine's congratulation was cold, but appropriate. But she didn't welcome Sofia to the royal family.
When Daniel had his 40th birthday last year, Madeleine wrote:
Happy 40th Birthday Daniel! It is so wonderful that you are part of our family!

So it's a different message, that don't mean anything. Victoria & Madeleine has welcomed Sofia to the family in many ways. They both very happily invited her to their weddings and baby christenings. Sofia was even pictured in the official photographs during Madeleine's wedding celebrations. They all seem very close and it's very evident.

A bit off topic: I am not sure but as far as I recall Sofia wasn't invited to Victoria's wedding. Does someone remember if she was there ?

A bit off topic: I am not sure but as far as I recall Sofia wasn't invited to Victoria's wedding. Does someone remember if she was there ?

Victoria got married before Sofia and Carl Philip's relationship had even been confirmed to the press, so no, she wasn't there.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Probably the last... we shouldn't think too much behind these messages.

Maybe they phoned before she posted the message and what was important was said directly. No need for elaborate FB communication.

To me the engagement day tells a lot about how the things are at the swedish royal family. Madeleine and Chris were celebrating Chris' birthday in an unknown place, and Victoria, Daniel and Estelle were on holiday with Daniel's family.

But the couple wanted to publish the engagement anyway. So, on the "most happiest day" of Carl Philip's life, there wasn't a great family celebration, just a forced dinner with the couple's parents. According to the director of the press department, the whole family will meet each other on Victoria's birthday, 14th July.

So it's a different message, that don't mean anything. Victoria & Madeleine has welcomed Sofia to the family in many ways. They both very happily invited her to their weddings and baby christenings. Sofia was even pictured in the official photographs during Madeleine's wedding celebrations. They all seem very close and it's very evident.
Remember one thing, the girls, V/M are still daughters of the king and when he says jump they will probably jump.........and no one knows for sure if they are truly happy with this up coming marriage. They must and I use that word MUST appear before the public as a happy family for they are the image of the royal family and *Must show a happy face to the world that all is right with them*, that is their mystic that they must perform on a daily basis when something in the family happens for the world to see. So I don't believe in stage pictures or happy endings that all is right with this engagement. The smiles on the queen's face look forced and not very happy,,, the words on Maddie's face book page are just simple plain words, no emotions, no joy, not nothing but plain simple words. Maddie has shown more warmth and love to Daniel who is truly more a royal then the king himself. Actions speak more louder then any word.

I just found this photo and there are others that show more then this, this is a grown woman, an adult who has a brain and made the decision to do this..............this is not okay. This is not someone who should become a princess and represent a country with her good works, project playground from what I have read has become a sham........it will take decades of great charity work, no more talking to the press and blabbing away about things that shouldn't be said, no more naked pictures and a spotless record before I would think to give her the respect that people are giving her today, respect is EARNED not GIVEN because you marry into a royal family.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom