The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-16-2016, 02:06 PM
Serene Highness

I guess it could just mean that she knew they didn't want to know if it was a boy or girl (maybe they made it clear they didn't want to know the first time around) so didn't ask again.
I don't think its rude to ask any couple if they know if they are having a boy or girl but once they say no you don't ask again.

Old 02-16-2016, 04:51 PM
Heir Apparent

I think that maybe the family knows the gender, but quite franky, who would be that stupid as to reveal it to the press? The queen was more vague this time round than it was for Estelle's birth though.

Old 02-16-2016, 09:16 PM
Serene Highness

They would only reveal it to the press if they wanted to and those who know are probably sworn to keep it a secret. If someone wants to tell you the sex of their child, they usually will without one asking them about it.

I've only had one friend who didn't want to know the sex of her child (wanted it to be a surprise) and when she had baby showers, it was difficult to buy clothing for the baby as there were a equal number of brother and sisters.

If there is a dominance of males in both families, then it is likely that the couple would have sons. If the dominance is female, the same thing would happen. If it is more balanced, then it would be difficult to determine. It came as no surprise to anyone when my brother and sister in law had a son because of the dominance of males in the family. It would have been surprising if they had had a daughter.
Old 02-17-2016, 09:51 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
One doesn't ask that kind of thing??? Is that a bad translation or a cultural thing? Makes it sound like some 'private thing' polite people wouldn't discus. I haven't met a pregnant person who isn't asked by every person in passing if they are having a boy or girl. Certainly the grandparents would. Or did she just mean Victoria said 'we don't know' and she respected her daughter and didn't push??
Yep. Totally agree, Countessmeout! So funny! Having just recently gone through another pregnancy, I can even vouch for that. Every person in passing, and I am also guilty of doing the same.
Old 02-18-2016, 02:19 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
One doesn't ask that kind of thing??? Is that a bad translation or a cultural thing? Makes it sound like some 'private thing' polite people wouldn't discus.
I can't read swedish but with google translate it seems that the conversation is something like:
Q.Silvia says she doesn't know the gender and she didn't ask
The reporter asks "Why not" (so it's definitely not a cultural thing )
Q.Silvia then says something i can't really figure out with Google, but might be "one doesn't" or "i just didn't", but she adds to that "the main thing is that it's healthy"

This imo is a completely normal response if you would have to answer questions from the press about someone else's pregnancy...
Old 02-18-2016, 02:29 AM
Imperial Majesty

Daniel on his visit in Ockelbo about the couple getting their second child
“It's great, it's going to be very exciting. I'm married to a fantastic woman,” said the smiling prince.
Back to school as Swedish royal returns to home town - The Local
Old 02-18-2016, 05:01 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
One doesn't ask that kind of thing??? Is that a bad translation or a cultural thing? Makes it sound like some 'private thing' polite people wouldn't discus. I haven't met a pregnant person who isn't asked by every person in passing if they are having a boy or girl. Certainly the grandparents would. Or did she just mean Victoria said 'we don't know' and she respected her daughter and didn't push??
The article mentions that during their trip to Peru Victoria had told that she and Daniel doesn't know the sex of the coming baby. If Victoria have told her parents that she doesn't want to know, then her parents obviously respect Victoria's decision.
Old 02-19-2016, 06:35 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-Z View Post
I can't read swedish but with google translate it seems that the conversation is something like:
Q.Silvia says she doesn't know the gender and she didn't ask
The reporter asks "Why not" (so it's definitely not a cultural thing )
Q.Silvia then says something i can't really figure out with Google, but might be "one doesn't" or "i just didn't", but she adds to that "the main thing is that it's healthy"

This imo is a completely normal response if you would have to answer questions from the press about someone else's pregnancy...
Yep. Denial is the only option.
Old 02-20-2016, 03:19 AM
Imperial Majesty

Johan T Lindwall asked from queen Silvia yesterday when she arrived to the formal gathering of the Academy of the Fine Arts about Victoria's pregnancy:
How do you manage with this waiting?
- Yes, what should I do? We are waiting with joy, of course.
And is it coming now, what does the queen think?
- No, I don't think so. Not yet.
Drottning Silvias nya besked om Victorias bebis _ Nyheter _ Expressen
Old 02-20-2016, 07:35 PM
Nobility

Linwall seems to be a pushy reporter, trying to get the scoop on royal gossip and news. I'm surprised the royal family takes interviews from this guy.
Old 02-24-2016, 10:56 PM
Courtier

Any baby news?
Old 02-24-2016, 11:19 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
Johan T Lindwall asked from queen Silvia yesterday when she arrived to the formal gathering of the Academy of the Fine Arts about Victoria's pregnancy:
How do you manage with this waiting?
- Yes, what should I do? We are waiting with joy, of course.
And is it coming now, what does the queen think?
- No, I don't think so. Not yet.
Drottning Silvias nya besked om Victorias bebis _ Nyheter _ Expressen
I think that must be lost in translation. In English the question makes it sound as if Silvia is climbing the walls with anticipation.
Old 02-24-2016, 11:56 PM
Serene Highness

Well Prince Daniel said last monday, when asked the same question, that one must have patience and that it is not yet March
Old 02-25-2016, 01:39 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjetajiem View Post
Well Prince Daniel said last monday, when asked the same question, that one must have patience and that it is not yet March
That is true, March begins on Tuesday. It would wonderful if the prince/princess was born on 29 FEB. That would rank as "cool" in my book - for whatever that's worth.
Old 02-25-2016, 04:40 AM
Heir Apparent

Agree!! Has only happened once and never in the direct line for a throne. James Oglivy was in the 60's.

I hope the baby waits till next week to give some separation from Estelle's. But babies come when they come. Once you hit the 38 week mark, whether 1st, 2nd or 5th baby, your baby is actually considered ready to be born. So this baby may or may not wait till March to make his or her entrance.
Old 02-25-2016, 05:25 AM
Serene Highness

Officialy it is expected in March
I think the family also expects March

But even family can be fooled by mother nature
Old 02-25-2016, 05:32 AM
Heir Apparent

Due dates are not a given. Doctors warn any time after 38 weeks a baby can come. Estelle was said to be due in March and came February 23rd. So wouldn't be that surprised if he or she came before March. Time will tell but its definitely not too early to keep an eye out for news.

Besides, most other years the 29th would be March!!
Old 02-25-2016, 05:52 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Agree!!
I hope the baby waits till next week to give some separation from Estelle's. But babies come when they come.
Hope that too. Specially as Leonore's birthday is only 3 days before Estelle's.
Old 02-25-2016, 07:39 PM
Heir Presumptive

I'm so excited! I'm counting the days and I'm like "so the baby isn't born on the 25th, let's see tomorow the 26th".

For some reason I think the baby will arrive in March and not late February. But I'm really looking forward to "meet" the new member of their family, I wonder if it's a girl or a boy, name...
Old 02-25-2016, 07:47 PM
Heir Apparent

Only 4 days left in February, so even if a March baby, coming soon

Seems the people else where who thought since she popped so soon and were determined she would have a full size baby in early February, were wrong.

Closed Thread