Crown Princess Victoria, Current Events Part 9: June 2010 - October 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soli Deo Gloria is correct.
The 'Victoria Day', which is a tourist attraction for the island of Öland just as much as it is the CP's public birthday celebration, was first held in 1978.
What's usually forgotten btw is that at this point, the legislation process to change the succession law had already begun and it was considered to be very likely that Princess Victoria would become Crown Princess.
Link to the English website of 'Victoria Day':
Welcome to the official website of Victoriadagen!

It didnt have anything to do with her beeing the next in line. The organizer and the king were at a party in Borgholm when they thought about this beeing a fun thing to have.

For the first few years the photos from her birthdays at Solliden were taken and distributed by the King. No official celebration with visitors and journalists.

The change in succession was decided on in 1979 and became law in 1980. As with any change in a country's constitution the process took place over several years so the change did not come as surprise to anyone. The king was never opposed to the change but rather to the fact that it was made retroactive. He felt because Carl Philip had been born under the prior succession law he should be allowed to keep the position as Crown Prince.

For the first few years the photos from her birthdays at Solliden were taken and distributed by the King. No official celebration with visitors and journalists.
Grevinnan, the official 'Victoriaday' celebrations at Borgholm were indeed held from the beginning, starting at her first birthday, although she herself was too small to attend.
Here's a pic of the King at 'Victoriaday' 1979 with Ingemar Stennmark:
Scanpix | Forhåndsvisning

As for the change of succession, as early as on the occasion of Princess Victoria's christening the media wondered already very openly if this might actually be the christening of a future Crown Princess.

I wasn't sure where else to post this but, when did Victoria start doing the presentation and visiting of the people outside the palace for her birthday celebrations?

Boris, this was the original post that I was responding to. The royal family are guests at the evening event which are arranged to co-incide with Victoria's birthday by the local sports club.

Last edited:
She looks radiantly happy! I'm so happy she's expecting.

The reporter at Aftonbladet's Live TV just said that the expected due date is March 12th, 2012. I've never before heard a court announce the exact due date! What makes this interesting is that March 12th is also Victoria's name day and already an official 'flag day' in Sweden.

The couple just left the palace in two separate cars. I wonder if there will be any other sightings of the pair today.

Is this really confirmed by the court or is this just a TV station speculating to make things more interesting because of the names day of the mother during the due month? Because it sounds like it to me.

She looks so beautiful and happy!

Is this really confirmed by the court or is this just a TV station speculating to make things more interesting because of the names day of the mother during the due month? Because it sounds like it to me.

I don't know yet but I will post it here if I find a confirmation of this. So far we only have this: "Barnet är beräknat till den 12 mars enligt Aftonbladets livesänding." So, according to Aftonbladet's live broadcast the baby is estimated to be born March 12 but I don't know where they got this from. Some people have speculated that perhaps CP is actually further in her pregnancy as has been stated and the baby might be born before March. Didn't Prince Daniel say when the reporters caught him on his way to the gym this evening that they "have to wait another six months"? Could this mean that she is past the three month limit now?

This was wonderful news. So happy for the both of them.

It could be that she's past three months or she could be nearing the end of her two months. I'm sure the reports aren't too far off in speculation.

I don't know yet but I will post it here if I find a confirmation of this. So far we only have this: "Barnet är beräknat till den 12 mars enligt Aftonbladets livesänding." So, according to Aftonbladet's live broadcast the baby is estimated to be born March 12 but I don't know where they got this from. Some people have speculated that perhaps CP is actually further in her pregnancy as has been stated and the baby might be born before March. Didn't Prince Daniel say when the reporters caught him on his way to the gym this evening that they "have to wait another six months"? Could this mean that she is past the three month limit now?
I think you may be actually right regarding the due date of the baby, it is not so uncommon to announce a later due date just to make sure that the future mom has at least some peace before the baby is born. Second half of February would be really possible IMO, although first babies tend to be late.

I think you may be actually right regarding the due date of the baby, it is not so uncommon to announce a later due date just to make sure that the future mom has at least some peace before the baby is born. Second half of February would be really possible IMO, although first babies tend to be late.

The court confirmed that the child will be born in March, they didn´t announce the date (12?, maybe the press has got it from Victoria´s name day?).

Then she's about 3 months along. Daniel did say half a year.

The court confirmed that the child will be born in March, they didn´t announce the date (12?, maybe the press has got it from Victoria´s name day?).

Yes, that's why I'm wondering why the reporter on TV seemed so sure about the date. He even repeated the date several times like it came from an official source. Maybe the court is being a bit cunning with the due date; officially announcing it as March 2012, then letting out an official sounding rumor that it is March 12 (to get people focused on that date) when in reality it is sometime in February. The only thing possibly messing with their plan is Prince Daniel letting it slip that they only have six months to go. Well, we'll know eventually...

Last edited:
Yes, that's why I'm wondering why the reporter on TV seemed so sure about the date. He even repeated the date several times like it came from an official source. Maybe the court is being a bit cunning with the due date; officially announcing it as March 2012, then letting out an official sounding rumor that it is March 12 (to get people focused on that date) when in reality it is sometime in February. The only thing possibly messing with their plan is Prince Daniel letting it slip that they only have six months to go. Well, we'll know eventually...

If my memory is good, princess Mathilde was said to be due in the first half of november when she was pregnant with princess Elisabeth and the baby was born the 25th october. That happened with other royal houses. So it is not an uncommon practise from royal houses to give only a general idea of when the birth is expected rather than the precise due date. By the way, I don't think they would have taken the risk to announce a pregnancy if there was still huge risks of miscarriage (there are still some risks, till the pregnancy's end, but the main risks may be over).

Daniel said "half a year". To me it isn´t as accurate as 6 months. E.g. Half a year could mean 6 months and two weeks also, IMO.
You are right. Some papers stated "six months" but clearly the Prince himself said "half a year". She could be due early February until late March for all we know. I don't believe in some reports that the news was 'outed' earlier than was attended to get the attention away from the King and Prince C-P (Has the attention been on them lately BTW? I thought the whole 'scandal' thing has been slowly winding down or has it?). I don't think the court would risk possible miscarriage and the ensuing publicity the Crown Princess would then face. I'd say she's past the most critical time now. Of course, if we want to speculate more, it could be that she is expecting twins in which case they would have to announce it a bit early before it shows... ;):p

Edit: Does anyone remember when CP stated earlier that she would have some very exciting news this Spring? Was she pregnant then or did she think she was? I was just wondering since we had to wait for the exciting news until late Summer.

Last edited:
If my memory is good, princess Mathilde was said to be due in the first half of november when she was pregnant with princess Elisabeth and the baby was born the 25th october. That happened with other royal houses. So it is not an uncommon practise from royal houses to give only a general idea of when the birth is expected rather than the precise due date. By the way, I don't think they would have taken the risk to announce a pregnancy if there was still huge risks of miscarriage (there are still some risks, till the pregnancy's end, but the main risks may be over).
Also with Christian and Isabella. Christian's due date was announced as November he came mid October and Isabella was announced as may came mid-late April. In reality baby is probably due mid-late February.

I don't cares when the baby(boy) comes, as long as the mother and the baby(boy) are fine.

Catharina said:
You are right. Some papers stated "six months" but clearly the Prince himself said "half a year". She could be due early February until late March for all we know. I don't believe in some reports that the news was 'outed' earlier than was attended to get the attention away from the King and Prince C-P (Has the attention been on them lately BTW? I thought the whole 'scandal' thing has been slowly winding down or has it?). I don't think the court would risk possible miscarriage and the ensuing publicity the Crown Princess would then face. I'd say she's past the most critical time now. Of course, if we want to speculate more, it could be that she is expecting twins in which case they would have to announce it a bit early before it shows... ;):p

Edit: Does anyone remember when CP stated earlier that she would have some very exciting news this Spring? Was she pregnant then or did she think she was? I was just wondering since we had to wait for the exciting news until late Summer.

I'm not so sure about the scandal. I assumed that it died down and will flair up again when the person accusing the King of visiting sex clubs publishes his book.

As for Carl Philip and the exciting news, when was the interview? If the due date was given as March 12, even presuming that it's deliberately on the late side, Victoria probably wouldn't have known about the pregnancy till late May/early June.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom