Victoria, Daniel and Family, General News Part 2: September 2010 - June 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:previous: And therein lies the problem. This is a news thread and that is a "non event"!

The point I was making was that it is becoming irrelevent as to whether or not she is pregnant and that it is "on topic" and "relevant" to discuss the deleterious effect this is having on the Crown Princess Couple and their usefulness to Sweden. The media is impinging into her current affairs, as per the UAE visit where almost all news and the larger percentage of posts were unclear as to why she was even there. The only thing they are interested in is "the question" and I think that is News. Bad news and something is going to have to be done.

How is Crown Princess Victoria going to continue to sucessfully carry out all those engagements that she has, both on her own and with Daniel, when there is this "Elephant in the room" and we can't even discuss it's adverse long term effect on her public persona and duties? Are they going to have to wind down her engagements because they have become counter-productive? Let's face it, any photocall is diminished and loses its importance when the point of the exercise is lost.
The "Elephant in the room" is mostly a problem on these boards. The Swedes in general will be happy when the announcement occurs - but are not spending any time waiting for it.

And I would guess that the royal family are not worrying about it either.

Why this kind of fuss? I find it almost needless to say that it’s perfectly natural that seven months after a royal marriage, public attention tends to focus on the question of children and pregnancy, especially since the child will be the heir to the heir… it has only happened a hundred times before as it does happen now.
Neither do “The Swedes in general” strike me as being so un-interested in the matter or “not spending time waiting for it” – of course it’s a matter of interest. See the links below, apart from the news about state TV SVT even planning their pregnancy coverage already as posted by mattep74 above.
I consider the current shift of focus in Sweden to be normal, it certainly does not come unexpected to CP Victoria either, and it will also cease again in due time.

Diskussionen på nätet om kronprinsessan Victoria - Nyheter - Senaste nytt | Expressen - Nyheter Sport Ekonomi Nöje
Kronprinsessan GRAVID!!!(47 pages of comments...)
Kronprinsessan Victoria – ensam i Mellanöstern | Svensk Damtidning

Last edited:
Speculation about when a heir to a throne is going to become a parent is nothing new. Some people seemed to be obessed with it. In Britain they haven taken bets on this and other things in relation to the BRF (I was surprised to read this in another thread), which in IMO is not in good taste, but others don't share my opinion on the matter.

It seems like in Britain and Sweden they go a little overboard with it.

Why this kind of fuss? I find it almost needless to say that it’s perfectly natural that seven months after a royal marriage, public attention tends to focus on the question of children and pregnancy, especially since the child will be the heir to the heir… it has only happened a hundred times before as it does happen now.
Neither do “The Swedes in general” strike me as being so un-interested in the matter or “not spending time waiting for it” – of course it’s a matter of interest. See the links below, apart from the news about state TV SVT even planning their pregnancy coverage already as posted by mattep74 above.
I consider the current shift of focus in Sweden to be normal, it certainly does not come unexpected to CP Victoria either, and it will also cease again in due time.

Diskussionen på nätet om kronprinsessan Victoria - Nyheter - Senaste nytt | Expressen - Nyheter Sport Ekonomi Nöje
Kronprinsessan GRAVID!!!(47 pages of comments...)
Kronprinsessan Victoria – ensam i Mellanöstern | Svensk Damtidning
Nowhere did I say the Swedes are un-interested but I doubt there are very many dinner conversations about the possible pregnancy of CP Victoria. We will all be happy when it happens but until then there are other more interesting royal happenings.

I have read the article and it was the journalist Anna Hedemo that in the internal newspaper on SVT that had some things to say: Since the preweddingshows on SVT almost were to much she fears that SVT after the revalation actually would have a countdown every day and news on Victorias tummy until she delievers.

http://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/article8450680.ab

Last edited:
While I have to admit I find the "tummy watch" a bit much sometimes at least it hasnt' sunk to the level of the betting establishments in England. Some are already taking bets on how long it will be before William and Kate will be divorced! Now that's really bad!

Agreed MarNoe. I saw this one on the thread a couple of days ago. Very tacky to say the least.

mattep74 said:
I have read the article and it was the journalist Anna Hedemo that in the internal newspaper on SVT that had some things to say: Since the preweddingshows on SVT almost were to much she fears that SVT after the revalation actually would have a countdown every day and news on Victorias tummy until she delievers.

http://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/article8450680.ab

That would be horrible!. Would definitely put a damper on what should be one of the happiest times for her and Daniel. The occasional picture would be more than sufficient for most people, I would hope. Daily reports on the pregnancy would be way to much! Would be nice if it doesn't come to that if and when the time comes. :)

While I have to admit I find the "tummy watch" a bit much sometimes at least it hasnt' sunk to the level of the betting establishments in England. Some are already taking bets on how long it will be before William and Kate will be divorced! Now that's really bad!

Well, the swedish version of ladbrokes have this also:

They have divided it into:
Born in 2011, gender, if its twins or tripplets, female names or boy names.

How much are they offering for triplets? Haha

Victoria and Daniel were on Saturday 15th January at the 50th birthday party of Kenneth Bentgsson, CEO of ICA. Singer Charlotte Perrelli writes about it at her blog, there is also a blurry photo, where you can see Victoria and Daniel.
Grattis Kenneth Bentgsson-50 år | Charlotte Perrelli
Bengtsson and his wife were invited to Victoria´s and Daniel´s wedding.

Bertil Ternert from the swedish court has told to finnish evening paper Iltalehti the reason why prince Daniel hasn´t had any official engagements this year. Daniel started studying physiology at the Karolinska Institutet in Solna at the 10th January. Ternert tells that Victoria is supporting her husband in his studies. Karolinska institutet is a medical university.
Ternert reminds that Daniel is interested in things concerning health and he is got acquainted to that already before. Ternert says that Daniel´s studies won´t disturb his duties at the royal house, with good planning things can be delt well. The story of Daniel´s studies is in Iltalehti´s paper version.
Karolinska Institutet website

Bertil Ternert from the swedish court has told to finnish evening paper Iltalehti the reason why prince Daniel hasn´t had any official engagements this year. Daniel started studying physiology at the Karolinska Institutet in Solna at the 10th January. Ternert tells that Victoria is supporting her husband in his studies. Karolinska institutet is a medical university.
Ternert reminds that Daniel is interested in things concerning health and he is got acquainted to that already before. Ternert says that Daniel´s studies won´t disturb his duties at the royal house, with good planning things can be delt well. The story of Daniel´s studies is in Iltalehti´s paper version.

Quite interesting news!

Thank you LadyFinn. :flowers: It's interesting news, now we know why his calendar is empty so far. The only thing I find a bit funny is that finnish media asked what's going on with him before the swedish ones.

Good luck to Prince Daniel on his studies!!. It is nice to see that, though he is a prince, he still wants to better himself and keep learning!. (just a bit OT) Isn't CP Mette-Marit still continuing her studies as well?

I just wounder how he got in since his universitet was 0.2 of 2.0(in the 90ths and thus have expired) and his high school(gymnasie)grades were average and that course is quite popular iirc.

mattep74 said:
I just wounder how he got in since his universitet was 0.2 of 2.0(in the 90ths and thus have expired) and his high school(gymnasie)grades were average and that course is quite popular iirc.

I hope this doesn't sound mean, but do you think that strings were pulled on his behalf or that the university just wanted the prestige of a prince being a student there?. I wasn't aware of his academic history and just assumed he got in on his own merits.

I hope this doesn't sound mean, but do you think that strings were pulled on his behalf or that the university just wanted the prestige of a prince being a student there?. I wasn't aware of his academic history and just assumed he got in on his own merits.

It could be that, or it could be he got a empty spot that wasnt filled.

Why do you assume that he pulled strings to get his place?
Crown Princess MM still studies I believe?
What I find strange is that he started in January and not in September, when everyone else did?

Lumutqueen said:
Why do you assume that he pulled strings to get his place?
Crown Princess MM still studies I believe?
What I find strange is that he started in January and not in September, when everyone else did?

In my post I stated that I assumed that he got in on his own merit...Just wanted to point that out :)

Here in Canada, many universities have courses beginning in January as well as September. Perhaps it is the same in Sweden?

Penelope is right. We have programs and courses that start both in the fall(last week of August or the first half of September) and in the spring(End of January)

While learning is never a bad thing, I dont see the sense in at least CP spouses, be it Daniel or MM, enrolling at university courses. They have other things to do and if they want to become experts in their field of interest, they can achieve this via private tutoring and/or engaging in activities in the respective areas as the representatives they are, eg by supporting suitable organisations or charities. Plenty of opportunities.

Those in the second row are much more suited to go to university in order to get a decent job afterwards as their public role wont be day-filling and not living off public money but earning their own would be appreciated by the public and in the end support the monarchy. I'd rather see CP go to university than Daniel, instead of doing car races and whatever. Daniel should instead concentrate on giving his consort role some substance.

Karolinska Instutute is a medical university with highest standards; Prince Daniel would not qualify to study there under regular circumstances.
The course he is taking could be a private one though, but we simply aren't told so far - the information politics of the Swedish Court continue to amaze.
Random details are given to a Finnish (!) newspaper, instead of doing the correct thing which would be to release a precise, informative statement, letting the public know the whereabouts of the future Queen Regnant's husband... what he's studying exactly, with which purpose, for how long, and if he's going to continue the often-quoted 'support' of his wife with the two of them as a working team - or not.
Daniel should instead concentrate on giving his consort role some substance.
I couldn't agree more.
Also, while Mette-Marit has proven that she is capable of balancing her studies with fulfilling her royal role pretty well, Prince Daniel had merely started to establish himself as a working royal last year, only to come to a full halt now.

Prince Daniel's studies

In the US, it is possible to take the entrance exams to university more than once. Also, the goals and aspirations of a 17 year old are probably vastly different from those of a 37 year old. Perhaps Daniel took the exam to enter Karolinska at the age of 37 achieving a grade good enough for acceptance. He has already proven that he is intelligent. Past grades do not always follow through life.

While learning is never a bad thing, I dont see the sense in at least CP spouses, be it Daniel or MM, enrolling at university courses. They have other things to do and if they want to become experts in their field of interest, they can achieve this via private tutoring and/or engaging in activities in the respective areas as the representatives they are, eg by supporting suitable organisations or charities. Plenty of opportunities.

Mette-Marit's business school classes are focused on leadership and management, both of which I think will be useful to her now and in her future role as queen. It's nice to hear that Daniel's classes concern health, because I always assumed that health-related patronages would be suited for him. I don't think it hurts for him to gain some substantive knowledge in that area that he can then apply to his work. So long as he continues to perform duties while he's in school, I applaud his decision to further his learning.

Karolinska Instutute is a medical university with highest standards; Prince Daniel would not qualify to study there under regular circumstances.
The course he is taking could be a private one though, but we simply aren't told so far - the information politics of the Swedish Court continue to amaze.
Random details are given to a Finnish (!) newspaper, instead of doing the correct thing which would be to release a precise, informative statement, letting the public know the whereabouts of the future Queen Regnant's husband... what he's studying exactly, with which purpose, for how long, and if he's going to continue the often-quoted 'support' of his wife with the two of them as a working team - or not.I couldn't agree more.
Also, while Mette-Marit has proven that she is capable of balancing her studies with fulfilling her royal role pretty well, Prince Daniel had merely started to establish himself as a working royal last year, only to come to a full halt now.

Maybe its like Victoria attended the diplomaticcourse a few years back. The course was full, but she was allowed a spot "on the side" so that noone eliglebel wouldnt be able to take it

ruthieviews

Physiology is the science of the mechanical, physical, bioelectrical, and biochemical functions of humans in good health, their organs, and the cells of which they are composed. Physiology focuses principally at the level of organs and systems.

Prince Daniel spent his adult life working in the fitness industry. It is entirely appropriate that he would want to study physiology. This is and has been his area of interest. Now that he has endured a kidney transplant, it is even more appropriate for him to undertake this study.

Just because he became a Prince of Sweden doesn't mean that he must drop any interest in furthering his knowledge of the functions of humans and their organs and systems. In his case, it may be vitally important to his future health and well being. Instead of begrudging him this chance to further educate himself, let us encourage him and admire this effort to better understand his chosen field of study and his own personal condition.

Well, firstly Daniel's secondary education wasn't one that gives him the right to apply too that type of university program. Secondly his grads were terrible even though he didn't take advanced courses in secondary school, and not to forget his bad result at "Högskoleprovet" which doesn't test your knowledge in subjects but your ability to solve logical problems and understand and gather information from texts. If Daniel miraculously would have got new grads and result at hp that were so good that he would get in to this course the papers would have written about it.

Dear Non-Royal when has Daniel proven to be intelligent? I have always got the impression that he is the opposite and has no intellectual interests at all. People describe him as extremely nice and interested in sports, but never as intelligent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom