Crown Princess Victoria and Prince Daniel, General News Part 1: June - September 2010

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
”Kan handla om mutbrott” | Bröllopet | Aftonbladet

The couples honeymoon could be bribes. Its estimated that their trip cost several millions and Hult payed it all. Since Hult payed its speculated it could be a case of bribing to get the royal court do to services for his company EF education.

Or it could be a friend helping a friend that wants to do something extra on her honeymoon

”Kan handla om mutbrott” | Bröllopet | Aftonbladet

The couples honeymoon could be bribes. Its estimated that their trip cost several millions and Hult payed it all. Since Hult payed its speculated it could be a case of bribing to get the royal court do to services for his company EF education.

Or it could be a friend helping a friend that wants to do something extra on her honeymoon

At the article Thorsten Cars, Doctor of Law and former chairman of the Institute of bribery, says that theoretically the Crown Princess could be guilty to a bribery. If the gift makes pr-benefits it could in principle be an act of bribery. But he can´t see that any prosecutor would pursue it further.

As long as the court doesn´t comment the trip, we don´t know who paid what...

About the honeymoon, at an article of Svensk Damtidning it was said that Victoria and Daniel stayed a few days at the Copacabana Palace hotel in Rio in Brazil before going to the USA.

I hope I can post this here. From a party they had a Drottningholms Slott before the wedding, nice areal pictures and hey, who knew the royals like disco?!
As much as I liked seeing that, I think it's a complete invasion of their privacy, they wanted to have a private party with their friends and family and the press flies over with a helicopter to capture these intimate moments, I really feel bad for these royals they never can do anything without it getting out to the press. I actually feel guilty watching that. On the other hand the Royal court should of coordinated with Air Traffic Control to not allow any planes or helicopters over the grounds of Drottningholm to ensure their privacy.

Last edited by a moderator:
:previous: I don't think this video includes any private scenes, only the entrance and the outside look of the palace and I don't think Royal Court can forbid the air traffic all over the Drottningholm, it would be too much. There are two sides of everything, some of the citizens may not support royals and this kind of behaviour may cause unwanted reactions. Victoria's wedding was huge for us royalists, but for others it was an ordinary day.

On the other hand the Royal court should of coordinated with Air Traffic Control to not allow any planes or helicopters over the grounds of Drottningholm to ensure their privacy.

This is a very complicated operation. Arlanda is not far away from Drottningholm and you can't ban every airplane from flying over Drottningholm, only for a party. Just imagine what would happen if they ban flying over Drottningholm every time they have a private party there.

This is a very complicated operation. Arlanda is not far away from Drottningholm and you can't ban every airplane from flying over Drottningholm, only for a party. Just imagine what would happen if they ban flying over Drottningholm every time they have a private party there.

Well, Arlanda is further out from Drottningholm than Bromma airport that is just 5 km away. Dont the Pentagon in Washinton DC lay straight under one of the flightpaths of one runway for one of DCs airports?

Its possible to bann flights under the height of 1000 meters over the castle. The planes going into Arlanda can descend from over 2500 meters easy in the distance between Arlanda and Drottningholm. Bromma is another issue but dont have as much flights as Arlanda.

Well, Arlanda is further out from Drottningholm than Bromma airport that is just 5 km away. Dont the Pentagon in Washinton DC lay straight under one of the flightpaths of one runway for one of DCs airports?

Its possible to bann flights under the height of 1000 meters over the castle. The planes going into Arlanda can descend from over 2500 meters easy in the distance between Arlanda and Drottningholm. Bromma is another issue but dont have as much flights as Arlanda.

I just wanted to say, that there are many much airplanes that fly over this area.
Sure, it's possible to ban the flights but you can't ban them every time when they have a private party. That's a little bit too much.

Three individual persons have notified Victoria and Daniel of bribery because of using Hult´s yacht and planes during the honeymoon.
- We have received complaints and I will examine the case, said Gunnar Stetler, Director of the National Anti-Corruption Unit.
Victoria och Daniel anmälda för mutbrott - Bröllopet - Expressen
Google Translate

On the royal court it was never discussed whether it was appropriate that businessman Bertil Hult lent his yacht and plane to Victoria and Daniel.
- This was a purely personal trip, a wedding gift from an old friend of the royal family, says Ulrika Näsholm from the Information Division.
Claes Sandgren, professor at Stockholm University and chairman of the Institute of bribery, says that it is difficult to see that there may be a corruption.
- There are many indications saying that it is not. However, one can discuss whether it is appropriate or not, and there may be a conflict of interest.
Can it be that the Crown Princess went as an individual?
- The question is whether one could call it a private trip. Assuming that it is paid in order to influence and take advantage of then it is not private. But it also matters what kind of relationship they have with each other, people give gifts to their friends, said Sandgren.
Hovet: En present från en vän - Bröllopet - Expressen
Google Translate

If Victoria or the king had payed for such a trip everyone would scream that the apanage was to high instead. Poor Victoria, in this case the only thing you could have done to win was to spend your honeymoon in the cottage that Daniels parents have or at Solliden for 6 weeks and hope that the papers dont see you.

When i told my coworkers about this on the coffebreak they said: For the love of god, why dont they leave them alone for a while and let them really enjoy married life.

Bertil Hult is a close friend of the royal family.
The king awarded 2004 Bertil Hult with the finest royal medal, in twelfth the size of the band Seraphim. Every year Crown Princess Victoria hands out "Bertil Hult prize" for an elementary school who worked actively to prevent difficulties in reading and writing. The prize money is SEK 500 000.
Bertil Hult is a member of Motortorpedbåtsklubb where King Carl Gustaf is the chairman. Hult and Queen Silvia work in the so-called Mentor Foundation, which works with the UN anti-drug program against drugs and dependence around the world. Queen Silvia has been a godmother to one of the boats Hult had set up to race in the Whitbread Around the World.
Mannen bakom lyxyachten - Bröllopet - Expressen

Oh it was their honeymoon for God's sake! You can't get any private than that! Why can't people just leave them alone?

The corruption angle would be plausible if Victoria was in a position to exercice real influence. But what power does she have really? If she could award big contracts, make big nominations etc. i could buy it but in a constitutional monarchy what power can she exercise realistically?

It souds like there are not enough news around the world to write about; some journalists are bored and have nothing better to do.
This story is not journalism,it is non-sense.
This is something to occupy the newspaper until other important news come up like Carl Philip latest conquest...

To me that's like a slap in the face to them. They come back from their honeymoon and are told charges may be filled against them for bribery. Who filed these complaints against them in the first place? People that dislike royalty? Or someone that has a bone to pick with one of them them or wants to get at them for some reason? Someone whose jealous of them or jealous of the fact that they are happy together. Whoever did this should be ASHAMED OF THEMSELVES. It all sounds political to me.

It was on prime time news in Holland. On 2 channels. It's too absurd for words. Welcome home, dear V&D.

It's also in Dutch newspapers, practically all of them. Note: not in the tabloid section but under "foreign".

AD Buitenland - 'Kroonprinses Zweden is corrupt' (503842)

I guess this is for Daniel a good first lesson for self control and anger management.

Gimme a break guys, get a life and start writing about more important things.

I doubt anything will come of it. Why did no-one make an issue of it the whole time they were away? It looks like it's been planned to 'coincide' with their return to me..

Ok. Even I like Victoria, this a serios problem and question for her.
If somebody is working in Public Administration, to take money from an business man is bribe. It's not important if it's a gift for honeymoon.
So... maybe for the Royal Family there is another rules but they might have a better explanation for all of this than the tycoon is a friend of the family.

if somebody is working in Public Administration, to take money from an business man is bribe.

It is only a bribe IF the recipient is expected to or can give something back: some favour, service or similar. The question remains to be proven: what "favour" or service can Victoria repay? she doesn't have any "power"

If this is deemed to be a bribe, then V&D will have to return all wedding gifts from friends, even the ones they received from government. Looking in the future, therotically, this means they will never accept a dinner invitation again etc. Where is the limit?

Yes ...I think you are right . It's too much to say is bribe. But to receive such an expensive "gift" it's very controversial. He is a businesman and the Royal Family have a lot of influence. We have something called "influence peddling".
I don't say SRF was bad intended, but their staff should know better.
Victoria and Daniel are in an unfortunate position and it's a shame.

Six o'clock news reports it and I am watching RTL Boulevard now. It is all over the news in Holland now. Many people think it is much ado about nothing. Alexander and Maxima stayed in Freddy Heineken's villa in St. Moritz during their honeymoon. Royals have influential friends and present that comes along with it. I guess the republicans try to ruin their party.
Give it up!

If Jennifer Lopez was able to do it for her wedding and she's not a head of state surely the Royal Family could. I'm not saying ban all air traffic but paparazzi helicopters intruding their private party!

Six o'clock news reports it and I am watching RTL Boulevard now. It is all over the news in Holland now. Many people think it is much ado about nothing. Alexander and Maxima stayed in Freddy Heineken's villa in St. Moritz during their honeymoon. Royals have influential friends and present that comes along with it. I guess the republicans try to ruin their party.
Give it up!

Well, it is 'komkommertijd'. They really have nothing else to talk about at the moment.
I do feel for V&D, what a depressing ending to their honeymoon.
I hope that it passes quickly. There doesn't seem to be a real problem, except what the media makes of it.

Webster's dictionary defines bribe. 1. "anything especially money given or promoised to induce a person to do something illegal or wrong." It is not illegal to take a honeymoon nor is it illegal for royalty to use a friend's yacht or planes. Is their a law on the books in Sweden regarding this? I seriously doubt that there is. CP Victoria and Prince Daniel have done nothing illegal or wrong in this case.

Someone has in it for them (for what reason I don't know). They must be very unhappy people or have nothing better to do with themselves. Perhaps they are jealous of the couple because they have something that they seriously lack.

2. "anything given or promised to induct a person to do something against his or her wishes". It's doubtful that this friend forced them to use his yacht or planes or forced them to do anything against their will. He would be in jail if he did.

I guess someone needed a story as the story about CP Carl Phillip is starting to get old.

Ok. Even I like Victoria, this a serios problem and question for her.
If somebody is working in Public Administration, to take money from an business man is bribe. It's not important if it's a gift for honeymoon.
So... maybe for the Royal Family there is another rules but they might have a better explanation for all of this than the tycoon is a friend of the family.

Nonsense.The man is a friend and if someone loves to start nagging on any given issue then he better pick something else.
Victoria has done nothing wrong,it's just the plebs without an extra buck ,and in this case the editor of a
so-called "republican paper",who gets jealous and vicious towards the Prince and Princess without any
legal ground.The editor of that so-called republican paper should be dragged to Court for libel but that
would give him too much exposure not worth the guy.Friends do what friends do and it's nobodies darn business.At all.
This is just a gross case of nitpicking and nothing else.The editors should be slammed silly by the decent press.

It was on prime time news in Holland. On 2 channels. It's too absurd for words. Welcome home, dear V&D.

That means nothing.There's more on prime time here then anyone can deem healthy as we know.:)

In Sweden this discussion doesn't seem to be so much up anymore. Or does someone have another opinion?

Just three complaints were made? Geeez...the powers that be must have alot of time on their hands if they feel it necessary to create all this brouhaha from just three snippy people. Have the complainants been named? If not that is typical behavior of those that try to stir up trouble and sneak off when the fighting breaks out. It's obvious this is a Republican stunt from those who are in a snit because Victoria and Daniel's wedding has generated a great deal of good will for the Monarchy. Snippy, self indulgent, self centered, immature people will go as low as possible to besmirch someone's good name for revenge and to further their own vainglorious cause. They generally tend to do that when they see their influence slipping. They can't do it honestly and forthrightly, therefore they go by dirty underhanded ways to undercut the other party. Their basic platform may be honorable in it's stance, but when they stoop to such underhanded dealings, then they renounce any respect they would have gotten otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom