Crown Princess Victoria & Daniel Westling: Relationship Discussion (2002-2007)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Did not the Kings sisters who married after he became king have gala weddings?:confused:

Anyway, Im still not warm on a Daniel/Victoria wedding, would love a Carl Philip \Emma wedding this summer though:D

And BTW is it possible to get some new pictures of Victoria and Daniel together, are the Swedish press still on vacation or what... In the mean time Id settle for some CP\Emma pictures but they dont seem to get those either, I find it strange concidering all the pics we saw of the other royal couples....

Larzen said:
Did not the Kings sisters who married after he became king have gala weddings?:confused:
Princess Birgitta got married in both a civil and religious ceremony - the civil one at the Royal Palace of Stockholm and the religious at Prince Hansi's family palace Sigmaringen. The night before the civil wedding, the King hosted a supper and dance at the Royal Palace of Stockholm - and before the religious wedding there was a grand ball at the palace of Sigmaringen. After the civil wedding in Sweden, there was a wedding luncheon after the ceremony at the Royal Palace of Stockholm.

Princess Désirée had a ball at the Royal Palace of Stockholm. There was a wedding luncheon at the Royal Palace of Stockholm after the wedding in the Stockholm Cathedral.

Princess Margaretha chose a simpler kind, a simple morning wedding with no fuss. No ball, no nothing. On the morning of the wedding, Queen Ingrid hosted a supper at the royal yacht Dannebrog, which was anchored in Borgholm on Öland (where the wedding was held in a small church).

Princess Christina I'm not really sure about. I only know that there was a wedding dinner at the Royal Palace of Stockholm.

You can find more info on the King's sisters' weddings in their threads.

The King and Queen had a morning wedding, followed by a luncheon at the Royal Palace of Stockholm.
Larzen said:
are the Swedish press still on vacation or what...
I guess so :D

Last edited:
Lena said:
Looking at the weddings of Victoria´s swedish friends in the past years, I see a clear trend to afternoon-weddings with a gala/wedding ball later. I think she will adopt that...but we will see.

Wow interesting. Now all the girls around have adopted my opinion. :rolleyes:

What about suggesting a wedding dress for Viktoria?

mixer2002de said:
What about suggesting a wedding dress for Viktoria?

Should we make a poll, if she wears a dress or not? :p In the case of Victoria, you never know...maybe she buys a pinstriped suit in black and white for the wedding ;)
But to guess and suggest, what she should wear on the big day is an nice idea...maybe a little bit too early...though we can be sure, she will marry one day, fashion and her look may change...and the season, when the wedding takes place, also plays a role.

i do not think there will be a summer wedding or do we need to wait fot march to go by also

How long have they been together?

marezdote said:
How long have they been together?

can it be 3 years now

What i want to know is when was the engagment of her dad and mom i think it was in marcj and the wedding in July

Dating

They have been dating since the spring of 2002.

I guess they date a little longer...since winter 2002...I would say. They have extremely discreet friends, so I think, they could hide their relationship for a while.

The engagement of Silvia and Carl Gustaf was announced on the 12th of March 1976. It seems the press conference was on the same day.
The wedding took place on the 19th of June 1976.
So if Victoria takes her parents as role models an engagement for this year is still possible.
But a check from my side has shown, that all current crown princes (except Philippe) had an engagement time of about 8 months.
And since a Royal wedding is nowadays a big happening, where a lot of security and press ppl are involved, I guess it makes sense to wait 8 months??? ( many interrogation marks as you see...it wouldn´t surprise me, when the Royal court would announce the engagement tomorrow...then again I can hardly imagine they manage to organise this in such a short time period...then again I could imagine that there are already many things running behind the scences-> we have heard of composed wedding marches...then again I don´t think Daniel is already ready for the job and we haven´t heard, that there are any plans to sell his part of the gyms...then again I have the strange feeling the press in Sweden has gotten an order to keep quiet...then again I think the swedish press is at the moment just lazy, so we don´t get to hear things...hm, it seems I think to much about this stuff :D )

My bet's on Daniel W. being the Prince Consort. Their relationship has been going on for a pretty long time and, although Victoria isn't that old, she's nearing her thirties so she'll be settling down soon, I'd bet. I don't think she'll drop Daniel after three years only to start another relationship...Well, unless she follows Crown Prince Felipe's example.

I´ve just looked on Bunte-online, what they have in the new edition. And the index of contents say:
Society
Victoria von Schweden: Verliebter Dickkopf
Ein Akt der Rebellion: Die Prinzessin nahm ihren Freund, den Sporttrainer,
mit auf Reisen
Victoria of Sweden: Smitten pighead
An act of rebellion: The princess has taken her friend, the gym trainer, with her on (a) journey

I wonder, if this means, that he is with her in Australia (???)

Or maybe he was with her in Germany. Would make sense, because BUNTE is a german mag.

The article says he has enough with his two other gyms and that he wants to focus on them. If I remember it correctly, they also speculated if this perhaps could be a "sign" of a future engagement.

Those Germans...

Lena said:
Ive just looked on Bunte-online, what they have in the new edition. And the index of contents says:

Victoria von Schweden: Verliebter Dickkopf
Victoria of Sweden: Smitten pighead

Rather tacky!

Worse than the London tabloids.

Do Swedes refer to German notables in such offensive terms?

Warren said:
Rather tacky!

Worse than the London tabloids.

Do Swedes refer to German notables in such offensive terms?

Here probably I´m to blame :eek: :D I´ve searched for an english word and this came to my mind. Just litereally "Dickkopf" means "thick head" and it´s used for ppl, who are very stubborn and try to get what they want. it seems there is no english equivalent for the noun "Dickkopf". You can just say "stubborn person" or "bullhead"/"pighead"...but the last two are (as I´ve learned now) more offensive.

Yennie said:
The article says he has enough with his two other gyms and that he wants to focus on them. If I remember it correctly, they also speculated if this perhaps could be a "sign" of a future engagement.

Thank you for the explanation, Yennie.
Hmm, the Lena-analysis center (=>
Lenabladet.jpg
;) ) would say, that´s a step towards an engagement. But I don´t see it anymore in 2005 (wow, what a good prognosis :p I guess for everyone it´s clear, that it´s too late for an engagement and a summer wedding...is there actually anyone here, who thinks, that she would also not mind to marry in winter or autumn?)

Lost in Translation

Lena said:
. Just litereally "Dickkopf" means "thick head" .

Whereas "thickhead" in English usage means "a stupid person" or "a blockhead."

Don't worry Lena, we'll blame the Germans anyway. :)

An article telling, what we can actually already imagine:
http://www.kandisnytt.com/page.php?news=437 ...Victoria has no time for hugs with Daniel at the moment. The article says, that Victoria celebrated, after her return from Australia, easter with her family and Daniel. Then she went to Denmark to celebrate HCA and between that and Japan she was (according to the spokeswoman of the court) only a few hours at home in Sweden. So poor little Danne is sitting alone at home and waiting and dreaming of his beloved one...sigh (the last thing is-of course- my interpretation...maybe he´s enjoying his time as "grass widower-to-be" or he´s busy with prince school or whatever)
Pic to the article:
280pix_Victoria_Daniel_web_2329.jpg

No matter how many pictures of Daniel, I just cannot warm myself up to seeing him as Queen Consort material. There is no "spark" or "magic" to him that makes me think that he is suitable for the royal family or that he is up for supporting Victoria for the rest of their lives together as she takes on the role of Queen.

Is it just me or do others feel this way about him?

Maybe he needs a makeover. Maybe that would improve my feelings on him a bit. (Maybe we could work a two-for-one deal with Lena? Send her over to Sweden to fix up Victoria and Daniel, too?!)

Alexandria said:
No matter how many pictures of Daniel, I just cannot warm myself up to seeing him as Queen Consort material. There is no "spark" or "magic" to him that makes me think that he is suitable for the royal family or that he is up for supporting Victoria for the rest of their lives together as she takes on the role of Queen.

Is it just me or do others feel this way about him?
I'm 100% with you in how you feel here Alexandria. I just cannot understand this couple. There is absolutely no spark whatsoever between them, and in pics where they hug it's Victoria who hugs him and he just stands there inactive like a robot - taking the hug from her, but no response.

It was such a huge difference with Daniel Collert - when they were together you could see the chemistry and a real egnition spark between them. And not so long ago we saw when she met him at an official engagment and they hugged - there was like so much going on there! It was such a warm and wonderful hug, one could really sense the special bond between them.

And for me, Daniel Westling is definitely not "Prince material" either; he doesn't strike me as a person with the right character or background for this kind of position.

A big *sigh*. I just wish Daniel Collert would return as her boyfriend.

There's one thing that speaks in Daniel Westling's "defence" though (just one thing :D), and that is that most people (the general public) have never heard him speak or even seen him on rolling tape, and so all we say about how he is as a person is quite speculative. But even so, for me the most important thing in a relationship should be chemistry and a spark - and I just don't see it...

I think the public will get use to him if he does become Prince Consort where he is seen all the time and people get a sense of his personality.He comes from a good working class background with no scandals, which is good. As long as he makes Victoria happy then i'm all for him. :)

GrandDuchess said:
It was such a huge difference with Daniel Collert - when they were together you could see the chemistry and a real egnition spark between them. And not so long ago we saw when she met him at an official engagment and they hugged - there was like so much going on there! It was such a warm and wonderful hug, one could really sense the special bond between them.

And for me, Daniel Westling is definitely not "Prince material" either; he doesn't strike me as a person with the right character or background for this kind of position.

While I was following royals when Victoria and Daniel Collert were dating, I do not remember much about them together. I do remember seeing at least something exciting and intriguing about Daniel Collert, but not so much in Daniel Westling. And while being royal shouldn't be about how good you look or how well dressed you are, rather it should be about the good work you do, I still think that "magic" quality is important.

Also, as the future consort, I do not feel much of a "spark" between Victoria and Daniel Westling either as GrandDuchess says.

While reading GrandDuchess' post I couldn't help of think of other consort examples, most specifically and most recently, Mary and Letizia. I think that whatever your feelings about these two women when they first arrived on the scene, whether you liked them or disliked them, I think the one thing you could at least credit these two women with was that in their own way, there was definitely a "spark" and "magic" between them and their respective future Kings. I may not have liked Mary much in the beginning, but even I could not deny that there was definite chemistry between her and Frederik and that he lit up in her presence, and vice versa. I can't say I can say the same about Daniel in Victoria's presence, though certainly Victoria in Daniel's presence.

GrandDuchess said:
There's one thing that speaks in Daniel Westling's "defence" though (just one thing :D), and that is that most people (the general public) have never heard him speak or even seen him on rolling tape, and so all we say about how he is as a person is quite speculative. But even so, for me the most important thing in a relationship should be chemistry and a spark - and I just don't see it...

You're right that he does get some credit for having kept mum for the past several years about himself and about his relationship with Victoria. Even more surprising is how of his circle of friends no one has said anything about their relationship, either. I guess he just wants to be the man behind the future Queen?

I think one of the biggest problems for whoever marrys Victoria is the comparrison which is Silvia. Beautiful, elegant Silvia, that speaks god knows how many languages, gives wonderful interviews about important issues and works hard for several important causes. The only "new commer" that has just as though consort material to live up to is Letizia with "more royal than most royals" Queen Sofia. Lets face it Henrik is not excactly the most loved in the Danish royal family and While Sonja is generally appreciated and respected I will not say she is particularily loved or admired in Norway.

I dont know what to think about Daniel, he looks utterly uncomftarble when in the media, but so did Mette-Marit and Mary in the beginning. But I dont know anything about him, I have only seen a handful pictures, not heared him say a single word nor seen him on TV. There seems to be no scelettons in his closets or else even the lazy swedish papers would have found out by now, his friend and family have kept silent. I dont see much chemistry, but I did not see much chemestry with Mary and Frederik in the beginning either but they have come around after the wedding.

They have been together for a long time and they must have thought things trough by now, if they did not see a future together why would they still be together, since the Press obiously makes Daniel uncomftarble? I wonder if he will be happy if they marry, and Im not talking about the first 10 years when everything is new and there is children etc etc, but in the long run. Would he find royal life meaningful? What would he do and how would he be recieved by the swedes? He is a typical MedelSvensson, nothing special in anyway, but that can be said for some of the recent Crown Princesses also but they ofcourse have the luck that they atleast can dress like a true royal with hats and tiaras and galagowns, If daniel puts on a suit he will just blend in with all the other suits that are usually present for royal occations.

Unfortunatly royals today seems to be mostly about beeing thin and dress elegantly, haveing good manners, holding the bouquet the right way, do the royal wave, have a couple of children and all of the sudden take an interest in charity work...I guess if the women can do it Daniel can to. We will have to se how it goes...

Last edited:
I must say, I agree in a way with all. Good aspects, folks. I can´t see the magic either. But maybe Daniel is simply a behind-the-closed-doors-person, and in connection to that he fears, that he could make a mistake and annoy his future parents-in-law.
I wish Aftonbladet would take one of its new cameras for their excellent web-TV (this time this is no irony...for me it works really well and they cover many different things with it) and would film Daniel a bit. Then he couldn´t run away...well, he could but it would look ridiculous. Maybe they film at the wedding of Victoria´s friend Martina in summer.

I guess in half a year we know more. I know I say since my first posts here in 2003, that they will marry the next summer ;) but I guess this time they make either a step forward or a step back. In other words, I bet, that they either break up or that they get engaged for a wedding in 2006. And to prove my thesis for the "grand jury" (->TRF) I want to present the following facts:

Frederik and Mary: 3 3/4 years between first meeting and wedding
Felipe and Letizia: 1 year between first meeting and wedding
Phillippe and Mathilde: 3 years between first meeting and wedding
Haakon and Mette Marit: 2 years between first meeting and wedding
Willem and Maxima: I don´t know for sure. But in 1998 he was still dating Emily, so the time span between the first date and the wedding must have been shorter than 4 years.

So when Victoria and Daniel would marry in summer or late spring 2006, they would have dated about 4,5 years. This would be the longest time span of all the crown princely couples. I think Mixer is right, when he´s saying, that couples, who date very long don´t marry anymore. I´ve watched this quite often. So I really think, they will make a decision soon. And since all the couples above (except Mathilde and Phillippe) had an engagement time of about 8 months, I guess we get to see a decision in autumn. If not, I really start to wonder. It can´t be very great to be in the limelight for 5 years in between two roles. And IMO it´s some kind of PR-disaster. The more time goes by, the more we can read about him being not suitable...and in the end more and more ppl will believe it.

Last edited:
Well mybe the Swedes are more open and Vicky will just live with him. Or the king has to save some money for a marriage as he has got monetary problems ;)

mixer2002de said:
Well mybe the Swedes are more open and Vicky will just live with him. Or the king has to save some money for a marriage as he has got monetary problems ;)

As much as I know the state pays the biggest part of the wedding. And though I know, that this was a meaningless Mixer-fun-comment, I want to ask, what the point of a monarchy would be, when the crown princess or queen would live together in an apartment with her boyfriend(s).
I can´t speak for the Swedes (esp. not for those, who think that the monarchy is a "skämt" for Sweden) and not for the Royal family, but I can´t imagine that both sides would be happy in the long run with this situation. Well, maybe Victoria is happy at the moment. I guess for a person like her, it´s extraordinary thrilling to live a "medelsvensson"-life (but with the option to go always back to first class hotels, Louis Vuitton-bags and holidays in Verbier)

[
280pix_Victoria_Daniel_web_2329.jpg

Sheesh. Poor Daniel can't catch a break. He's hugging CP Victoria in a doorway (with a bodyguard? standing next to them) and the paparazzi are getting shots for future tabloid articles that will speculate about their relationship and Daniel's worthiness. How lovey-dovey can anyone look under those circumstances? I think it's great that he hasn't morphed into some "consort to be" clone. What a tough position to be in.....having people from all over the planet scrutinize every aspect of your life. The average guy ought to feel lucky if he's stuck with one critical mother-in-law.;)

I think the whole situation with Victoria and Daniel is a bit akward. They have been together for quite a while now, why are they not getting engaged? I don't know why, I just have the feeling they are not meant for each other. Saying that, tomorrow there will propbaly be announced that they are getting engaged :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom