The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden > Crown Princess Victoria, Prince Daniel and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-10-2004, 06:06 PM
Heir Apparent

Article from The Local:
http://www.thelocal.se/article.php?I...9d2fe77ca6a8f9

Madde shows shrinking violet Daniel the way

It is often said that younger siblings have all the fun: Princess Madeleine was certainly having a devil of a time at her halloween party in one of Stockholm’s trendiest restaurants. Her elder sister Victoria was feeling less carefree and easy, as word started to circulate that the pressures of celebrity were getting to her boyfriend, Daniel Westling.

The crown princess spoke in a television interview last week of the difficulties she had balancing her position with her love life. This week, Aftonbladet demonstrated the kind of difficulties that a royal boyfriend faces.

The paper reported that Daniel had become increasingly fed up with the attention he was receiving in the press. It noted that the couple used to walk openly together on the streets of Stockholm, but said that these days when Victoria and Daniel go to the gym they use different entrances to divert the press.

“Daniel doesn’t like being recognized, and being photographed in private is even worse,” a ‘friend’ told Aftonbladet. The friend went on to say that if the couple split, “it will be because of this.”

Aftonbladet reminded readers that this would not be the first time that Victoria had lost a boyfriend who could not handle all the attention. Her relationship with former boyfriend Daniel Collert broke up for just this reason, it reported.

A royal boyfriend who appears to be taking the press pack in his stride is Jonas Bergström, Princess Madeleine’s other half. He was by the young princess’s side as she held a halloween bash at a trendy Stockholm restaurant.

The “super secret” party, was “planned down to the last detail”, reported Expressen. The part girl herself made a grand entrance, dressed in a black wig with devil horns. Madeleine, clearly not the family’s shrinking violet, made quite an impression.

“Everyone laughed and she really drew attention to herself,” a guest told the paper.

Old 11-10-2004, 08:16 PM
Courtier

So Daniel N. thinks he is responsible for the first spilt up? And might be for the second.... Well then he should learn to behave!

Old 11-10-2004, 08:24 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gita
I am only guessing that if there is an engagement it won't be this year now.
Well not this year, this can taken for sure..
But I thought you are pro engagement.
Could you tell us why?
Old 11-10-2004, 09:11 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixer2002de
Well not this year, this can taken for sure..
For sure? In life nothing can be taken for sure And maybe we will see an engagement around xmas or new year. At least this is something, that I would consider as romantic :)
Old 11-18-2004, 12:24 AM
Heir Apparent

The ring

I wonder how this would be, if Daniel would buy the engagement ring. Could he buy it in Stockholm at the big jewelers, or should he do it abroad, so that no one would recognize him. What do you think, in which price class would it be? And do some members know how expensive (don´t need to know it exactly...just an idea) the rings were, which the european crown princes (this generation of course) have chosen??
Old 11-30-2004, 04:16 AM
Aristocracy

Gymägaren Daniel Westling och kronprinsessan Victoria är på väg att permanenta sitt förhållande. Flera källor uppger nu att paret är på väg att gifta sig.
Victoria och Daniel planerar bröllop i sommar
Kronprinsessan Victoria och Daniel Westling kommer sannolikt att förlova sig efter nyår.
Det uppger flera initierade källor för Expressen.

– Kungen har gett sitt medgivande till ett giftermål. Allt tyder på att bröllopet står till sommaren, säger en källa.
Kronprinsessan Victoria, 27, och gymägaren Daniel Westling, 31, har snart varit tillsammans i tre år.
Expressen har tidigare avslöjat att kungaparet helst skulle se att relationen mellan Victoria och Daniel Westling tog slut.
Orsaken var att Westling inte ansågs klara rollen som make till Sveriges blivande statschef.
Bland annat ansågs han ha för dålig social kompetens och allmänutbildning.
Kungaparets uppfattning om Daniel har nu förändrats.
– De har förstått att de måste gilla läget. De har också börjat se till Daniel Westlings många positiva sidor. Han är en duktig, skötsam och ambitiös person, säger en källa.

Daniel har tvekat
Enligt Expressens källor har kronprinsessan Victoria hela tiden varit mycket tydlig med sin kärlek till Daniel Westling.
– Det är hon som har legat på och velat permanenta förhållandet ytterligare, säger en källa.
Däremot har Daniel Westling varit tveksam att ta steget fullt ut.
Han har bland annat berörts av kritiken att han inte skulle vara ”lämplig”.
– Men det som framför allt gjort honom betänksam är rädsla för den ständiga uppmärksamheten. Att inte kunna leva ett normalt liv utan att hela tiden vara påpassad, säger en källa.

Kungen har sagt ja
Enligt Expressens källor har Carl XVI Gustaf nu gett sitt godkännande till ett kommande giftermål.
Detta sker efter att Daniel Westling också fullt ut bestämt sig för att satsa på kärleken till kronprinsessan.
Som ett led i planerna håller Westling nu på att vidareutbilda sig inom olika ämnen. Utbildningarna sker ytterst diskret av handplockade personer.
– Det handlar dels om allmänbildning och språk, dels om hur man uppför sig på ett korrekt sätt.
Enligt Expressens källor väntas förlovningen ske efter nyår – följt av ett bröllop till sommaren i Storkyrkan invid Stockholms slott.
Samma kyrka som Victorias föräldrar gifte sig i 19 juni 1976.
Old 11-30-2004, 04:22 AM
Aristocracy

Apparantly the weeding is planned. Have we heard this before?
Old 11-30-2004, 04:24 AM
Majesty

Location: East of the sun and west of the moon, United States
They said it before. They said that he was in prince school last month though.
And the whole castle business deal was reported earlier this month.
Old 11-30-2004, 06:16 AM
Heir Apparent

Yes, but they never were so concrete before. To say an engagement shortly after New years day and a wedding in summer 2005 will take place...they really lean out far of the window with this. Maybe just a sign for the (new) lack of serious journalism in Sweden´s evening-newspapers. Maybe they have really found an indiscreet person (perhaps in Ockelbo), who has told them the news (???)
Old 11-30-2004, 09:57 AM
Courtier

Another article on the wedding subject, from Archivesgotha:

http://pub.tv2.no/nettavisen/english/article308945.ece
Old 12-01-2004, 07:04 AM
Heir Apparent

The reports in EXPRESSEN go on:

According to them Daniel is now in "prince school". But as Aftonbladet a few weeks ago, they don´t have details. They just say he´s teached in etiquette, english, social studies and political science. IMO they really could try harder to find out more details. Well, maybe it´s not true, then they can´t find details. Or maybe this is an top secret operation:
http://www.expressen.se/index.jsp?a=212932

Then they speculate if they could marry in the church of Ockelbo. High unlikely if you ask me. They would need videowalls for all the Royals outside of the church :

http://www.expressen.se/expressen/js...y.jsp?a=212936

Then they tell their readers, that you can bet on a possible wedding. The bookies of "unibet" think , that they will marry, but that they will wait a bit longer (ridicules a bit the article of Expressen, which claims to be sure, that they will marry in 2005):
http://www.expressen.se/expressen/js...y.jsp?a=212943

And finally Sweden´s minister for equality (very swedish, isn´t it) thinks, that Daniel should become king.The readers of Expressen think different. According to a poll only 16 % (so far) want him to be king:
http://www.expressen.se/expressen/js...y.jsp?a=212970

And here is an article in english from The local:
http://www.thelocal.se/article.php?I...eaee6603b2f3d0

Rumours of Swedish royal wedding reach fever pitch

Is it about to be made official? Could Sweden soon have a new prince? Well, Expressen certainly seems confident: “Victoria and Daniel are planning a wedding for next summer” was the headline splashed across newsagents’ windows the length and breath of Sweden.

The Swedish tabloids and gossip magazines may be in the habit of issuing almost monthly predictions of impending royal weddings, but one day they’ll be right. Here at The Local we’re willing to suspend disbelief once more and deck the editorial offices in blue and yellow bunting.

Expressen, citing the usual “knowledgeable sources”, claimed on Tuesday that King Carl XVI Gustaf and Queen Silvia had given their approval for Crown Princess Victoria to marry her long-term boyfriend Daniel Westling, and had overcome earlier doubts about the relationship.

The wedding is expected to take place in the cathedral of Storkyrkan, near the royal palace in Stockholm next summer. Before making it official, the couple would first need permission from the government. It is expected that Daniel will become a prince when the couple marries.

The paper said that the king and queen had previously thought that Westling was not well enough educated and had poor social skills. Now, says Expressen’s source, things have changed:

“They have realized that they have to deal with it. They have also begun to see that Daniel is a conscientious, comptetent and ambitious person.”

Far from the king obstructing the marriage, it seems that Daniel has been the one with most doubts. The paper says that he has been affected by comments that he would not be suitable to marry the heir to Sweden’s throne. He is also, it appears, frightened by the attention that goes with the job.

The news of engagement rumours was accompanied by comforting news for anyone bored with being packed off on professional development courses by their employer - it seems that even royalty are not exempt. In fact, as The Local reported recently, the Crown Princess has been studying ‘Queenology’ for some time. Now Daniel is to get “discreet” training from “hand picked teachers”, who will instruct him in languages and “good behaviour”.
Old 12-01-2004, 03:25 PM
Courtier

If its that way... I would suggest a Roman Catholic Kathederal for marriage maybe St. Stephan would fit. It was good enough for an Austrian emperor. So it also should satisfy a Swedish crown princess :)
Old 12-01-2004, 03:48 PM
Majesty

do you think they can confirm a engegment this spring if victoria say that its not true like everything else. I doubt it that would look a bit foolish

i think with all these roumors daniel will hasitate more and more
Old 12-04-2004, 01:41 PM
Heir Apparent

This weeks Svensk Damtidning also says that Crown Princess Victoria and Daniel Westling will get married next summer.

According to their sources, the engagement will be announced sometime between the Royal Family’s winter holiday and the State Visit to Argentina (February).

According to the magazine, the Royal Court has now accepted that Daniel is not, and will never be, an academic. Instead they plan to uphold his knowledge in the things he is good at – like running a company and health.

They also say that Daniel has been appointed a mentor – a person from the trade and industry (business life) with a top position, who is teaching him etiquette and other necessary things. Like we’ve read before, the article also mentions that he is given lessons in political science, history, literature and English.

The magazine also writes that their sources say that no one in the Royal Family expects Daniel to devote his life work to the subjects he is now studying, but instead they want to focus also on his good sides – his healthy attitude and way of life which makes him a good role model. The magazine and their sources suggests that this can be done by Daniel working actively in various boards of non-profit organisations that works to benefit the public health, sports in schools, anti-smoking and corporate health services.
Old 12-04-2004, 02:50 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandDuchess

They also say that Daniel has been appointed a mentor – a person from the trade and industry (business life) with a top position, who is teaching him etiquette and other necessary things.
Firstly, thank your for the informations GrandDuchess.
So they know he has gotten a mentor with a top position in Sweden, but they can´t name him????
Well, if it´s true, we at least can be sure, that neither Ann Christine Jernberg nor ETW are his mentors

So when Svensk Damtidning is right, it can happen that the Swedes next year at that time are warned of a big smiling prince Daniel in newspapers, magazines and on TV not to drink too much "Glögg", not to eat too much christmas cookies and to walk instead of going by the "tunnelbana" (?)
Old 12-04-2004, 03:56 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandDuchess
... the Royal Court has now accepted that Daniel is not, and will never be, an academic.
Quite a "low blow". Does the King have an academic degree? Does Silvia have one? Does Victoria have one?
.... No, no and NO !!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
They also say that Daniel has been appointed a mentor – a person from the trade and industry (business life) with a top position, who is teaching him etiquette and other necessary things.
I'd like to learn the outcome of that ..... is it a case of Daniel providing the mentor with a refreshing new view of the world? What happens if they don't click?

Quote:
The magazine also writes that their sources say that no one in the Royal Family expects Daniel to devote his life work to the subjects he is now studying, but instead they want to focus also on his good sides – his healthy attitude and way of life which makes him a good role model.
Alas .... how Daniel will handle the boredom of being an inconsequential consort cannot be taught. Trust he doesn't take after Ernst August.
Old 12-04-2004, 05:32 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrhcp
Quite a "low blow". Does the King have an academic degree? Does Silvia have one? Does Victoria have one?
.... No, no and NO !!!!!!!!!!

Alas .... how Daniel will handle the boredom of being an inconsequential consort cannot be taught. Trust he doesn't take after Ernst August.
Aren't you a pessimistic person.
Victoria may not have a degree but she has studied at several academic institutions including courses at Harvard.
As for a consort being inconsequential tell that to Claus, Sofia, Silvia, Paola and Sonja and the others. All of them are much loved and well respected and no one in their countries would say they are inconsequential, least of all their spouses and their children.
Old 12-04-2004, 05:57 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicomtesse
Aren't you a pessimistic person.
Victoria may not have a degree but she has studied at several academic institutions including courses at Harvard.
As for a consort being inconsequential tell that to Claus, Sofia, Silvia, Paola and Sonja and the others. All of them are much loved and well respected and no one in their countries would say they are inconsequential, least of all their spouses and their children.
Yes, thanks god not all people think like hrhcp concerning this matter. Then they (Daniel) really would be inconsequential. But a few still do and this makes it so hard for the male prince consorts.

BTW Victoria has studied at Yale :)

I´ve found something suspicious on the Glittering Royals MB. The schedule of the norwegian Royal family (posted of Hans-E) for 2005. Now you will say, that this is the Sweden-forum and more exactly the thread about Victoria and Daniel. And you are right. On the plan for 2005 the swedish Royals are mentioned two times:

June: The Swedish King and Queen comes on a visit!

September: The King and Queen makes official visit to Sweden.

We all know, that the Norwegians and Swedes are very close (similar culture, similar language, close neighbours, and so on).

But why 2 visits in one year?? Quite unusal, isn´t it? Esp. since there is no special occasion (jubilee etc.).

And now my suspicion: The second visit (the norwegian Royal couple coming to Sweden) could be shortly after the wedding of Victoria to Daniel. And so he would get the chance to participate in an official visit of a statesman to Sweden. This wouldn´t be too difficult for him, since he could talk swedish to them. Of course I have no evidence and if they really would get engaged in January it is high likely that there would be a state visit to Sweden before and that Daniel as fiancé would have to participate.
Old 12-05-2004, 08:14 AM
Courtier

I also think it are just rumours. I don't like that guy Daniel. I see something on him. I don't think he is, hm how should I say it, honest. And I think Victoria sees that too. Maybe thats why she don't take the big step. She is happy with him and he make her happy, but Victoria is smart enough to see he isn't fit for a royal role.
Old 12-05-2004, 10:20 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal_sophietje
I also think it are just rumours. I don't like that guy Daniel. I see something on him. I don't think he is, hm how should I say it, honest. And I think Victoria sees that too. Maybe thats why she don't take the big step. She is happy with him and he make her happy, but Victoria is smart enough to see he isn't fit for a royal role.
I don't know about the honest thing as you suggest, but I wonder if she is torn by the last bit of your comment: she really loves him but also sees that he isn't fit or prepared for a royal future.

Recent royal weddings have very much consisted of both love and the ability to be royal: Phillippe and Mathilde, Frederik and Mary, Willem and Maxima, Felipe and Letizia. Even Haakon and Mette-Marit, which was most certainly about love though there was more skepticism about Mette-Marit's fittedness for a royal life, she was a least earnest and sincere in her desire to be a good representative for the Norwegians.

Even that sincerity and earnestness to represent the Swedish royal family and nation doesn't seem evident to me in Daniel. He may very well love Victoria but love or even prepared to live and sacrifice with what loving her means (he's marrying the woman as much as he's marrying the crown!) -- I don't think he's ready or willing.

Closed Thread

Tags
crown princess victoria, daniel westling, relationships