The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden > Crown Princess Victoria, Prince Daniel and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 12:07 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gita
I say let Crown Princess Victoria marry who she wants for love alone. Providing her choice does not destroy the monarchy or cause some kind of terrible harm to herself or the Swedish people. Which she would not do in any case. She is a human being like the rest of us, would you like to be forced into marriage with someone you didn't love? Let her choose and be happy, she has the same rights as everybody else.

So what if Daniel Westling is not University educated and he is from a normal working class background?
In the long run people with the same background have the best odds to be happy. I hope Daniel is smart enough to think, before,about what his life will be like in the shadow of his wife.

Old 11-28-2006, 02:18 PM
Nobility

Is Victoria with Westling or no?

Old 11-28-2006, 02:23 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by The O.C. Fanatic
Is Victoria with Westling or no?
As far as it is not confirmed by her or the royal court or some reliable source, I would say it is only a rumor, and as rumor should be treated
Old 11-28-2006, 03:44 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by violante
Since a monarchy is a very oldfashioned institution, crownprinces seem to be able to take anyone nowadays, but it is still the same dynasty. Victoria is a wonderful person,intelligent and stubborn, so we will now have the Westling dynasty from Ockelbo. Her education is also so far above Danielīs.
True, and I also agree that people with similar backgrounds are more likely to be happy together; the question is whether a) it's possibly rather hard for Victoria to find somebody from the same background who she likes enough to marry, and who likes her back - they're rarer than middle-class! and b) whether they don't have other things in common that might mean more to them than background.
NB: About the Westling dynasty: just think of it from a matrilineal perspective: it's the mother's line of ancestry that counts. :-)
Old 11-28-2006, 05:37 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smilla
True, and I also agree that people with similar backgrounds are more likely to be happy together; the question is whether a) it's possibly rather hard for Victoria to find somebody from the same background who she likes enough to marry, and who likes her back - they're rarer than middle-class! and b) whether they don't have other things in common that might mean more to them than background.
NB: About the Westling dynasty: just think of it from a matrilineal perspective: it's the mother's line of ancestry that counts. :-)
Yes,personally I agree with you, it should be seen from a matrilineal perspective, because you can always be sure about whom the mother is, but not so sure about the father ( you can always hide facts there).
But as I said before this is an oldfashioned institution and things are as they are..... I love this discussion!
Old 11-28-2006, 06:02 PM
Heir Apparent

Hm, I wonder, if it really would be "the Westling dynasty". The idea is so weird. Iīve no doubt, that Daniel (or any other commoner...these days we discuss it, as if there would already a bling bling ring on her right ring finger) would get "royaled up". He surely would become prince, or at least duke, maybe even both (Prins Olof Daniel, Hertig av Västergötland) But that their children would bear the surname "Westling" and not just their children, but also their grandchildren (and male grandchildren would keep it) is simply a strange thought. Well, in some ways itīs also like going back to the origin/roots...with the nordic Viking kings...apart from french or german imports. And at least Danielīs surname isnīt "Svensson", so that more than 100.000 Swedes would share the name with the "Svensson dynasty"
Old 11-28-2006, 06:26 PM
Courtier

I don't know about Sweden, but in Austria you can choose either the woman's name or the man's name when they get married. The same goes for the children. Is that possible in Sweden that the children take the mother's name?
That would solve some of our (hypothetical) problems; I'm sure Victoria doesn't worry as much as we do...
Old 11-28-2006, 06:39 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smilla
I don't know about Sweden, but in Austria you can choose either the woman's name or the man's name when they get married. The same goes for the children. Is that possible in Sweden that the children take the mother's name?
That would solve some of our (hypothetical) problems; I'm sure Victoria doesn't worry as much as we do...
As I get it in Sweden itīs just the same as in our wonderful little Austria. E.g. Danielīs sister has a double name "Westling Blom". Maybe they would do the same..."Westling Bernadotte" or "Bernadotte Westling" I guess you are indeed right, that she isnīt spending half as many thoughts on the matter as we do And as she doesnīt use it often her actual surname probably doesnīt mean much to her. As I remember it even on her report cards from schools one could read "Kronprinsessan Victoria" and not "Victoria Bernadotte"
Old 11-28-2006, 06:49 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lena
As I get it in Sweden itīs just the same as in our wonderful little Austria. E.g. Danielīs sister has a double name "Westling Blom". Maybe they would do the same..."Westling Bernadotte" or "Bernadotte Westling" I guess you are indeed right, that she isnīt spending half as many thoughts on the matter as we do And as she doesnīt use it often her actual surname probably doesnīt mean much to her. As I remember it even on her report cards from schools one could read "Kronprinsessan Victoria" and not "Victoria Bernadotte"
Must be so weird having that name on your report card. That puts a lot of pressure on you to perform well; or would you like to have that grandiose name and then lots of bad marks? :-)
Anyway, that was wildly off topic!
May she find true happiness, with whosoever :-)
Old 11-29-2006, 01:15 PM
Courtier

Who says that Daniel would not mind being in his wife's shadow? To me I don't think he would mind at all, as he appears to be rather shy.
Old 11-29-2006, 01:42 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gita
Who says that Daniel would not mind being in his wife's shadow? To me I don't think he would mind at all, as he appears to be rather shy.
Maybe it's being in the limelight that he dreads - much more than being in her shadow. I can't think what's worse.
Old 11-29-2006, 02:39 PM
Commoner

I am confused. Is Victoria still going with Daniel?
Old 11-29-2006, 02:56 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by towzer12
I am confused. Is Victoria still going with Daniel?
Nobody knows. According to some reports, they've split up. On the other hand, they went to a wedding together and looked happy. So...maybe somebody else has more accurate information, but that's what I've heard.
Old 11-29-2006, 07:11 PM
Courtier

If they had just split up I doubt they would have gone to a wedding together. Normally there are engagment romours but since they
obviously won't be getting engaged in the near future then the press will have to come up with something else.
Old 12-13-2006, 11:46 PM
Royal Highness

Location: Up the street,hang a left,3rd house from the corner, United States
Has anyone realized that Daniel is referred to as CP Victoria's common-law spouse on Wikipedia's web site? Take a look under her picture beside consort.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victori...cess_of_Sweden
Old 12-14-2006, 02:26 AM
Heir Presumptive

Common-law spouse is the same as live-in boyfriend. Common Law just means not married.
Old 12-14-2006, 11:24 AM
Nobility

If you click on where it says common-law it will take you to the page where it explains it all.
Old 12-14-2006, 04:01 PM
Nobility

Wikipedia is not any kind of source--anyone can post there. Common law means an actual spouse, not just boyfriend. If the wikipedia post is wrong, let them know; eventually it will be removed.
Old 12-14-2006, 05:47 PM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Picture of the Month Representative - Denmark
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerry
Has anyone realized that Daniel is referred to as CP Victoria's common-law spouse on Wikipedia's web site? Take a look under her picture beside consort.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victori...cess_of_Sweden
I changed it into boyfriend
Old 12-14-2006, 07:04 PM
Royal Highness

Location: Up the street,hang a left,3rd house from the corner, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Robijn
I changed it into boyfriend
Thanks Princess!

I've never debated the meaning of common-law spouse in this thread as others have so chose to "educate" me on. Just wanted to let folks know what was out there. With that being said, I now have a Wiki "account" so that might add a little to this world.

Tags
crown princess victoria, daniel westling, relationships