The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden > Crown Princess Victoria, Prince Daniel and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-16-2005, 02:30 PM
Heir Apparent

No matter how many pictures of Daniel, I just cannot warm myself up to seeing him as Queen Consort material. There is no "spark" or "magic" to him that makes me think that he is suitable for the royal family or that he is up for supporting Victoria for the rest of their lives together as she takes on the role of Queen.

Is it just me or do others feel this way about him?

Maybe he needs a makeover. Maybe that would improve my feelings on him a bit. (Maybe we could work a two-for-one deal with Lena? Send her over to Sweden to fix up Victoria and Daniel, too?!)

Old 04-16-2005, 06:18 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandria
No matter how many pictures of Daniel, I just cannot warm myself up to seeing him as Queen Consort material. There is no "spark" or "magic" to him that makes me think that he is suitable for the royal family or that he is up for supporting Victoria for the rest of their lives together as she takes on the role of Queen.

Is it just me or do others feel this way about him?
I'm 100% with you in how you feel here Alexandria. I just cannot understand this couple. There is absolutely no spark whatsoever between them, and in pics where they hug it's Victoria who hugs him and he just stands there inactive like a robot - taking the hug from her, but no response.

It was such a huge difference with Daniel Collert - when they were together you could see the chemistry and a real egnition spark between them. And not so long ago we saw when she met him at an official engagment and they hugged - there was like so much going on there! It was such a warm and wonderful hug, one could really sense the special bond between them.

And for me, Daniel Westling is definitely not "Prince material" either; he doesn't strike me as a person with the right character or background for this kind of position.

A big *sigh*. I just wish Daniel Collert would return as her boyfriend.

There's one thing that speaks in Daniel Westling's "defence" though (just one thing ), and that is that most people (the general public) have never heard him speak or even seen him on rolling tape, and so all we say about how he is as a person is quite speculative. But even so, for me the most important thing in a relationship should be chemistry and a spark - and I just don't see it...

Old 04-16-2005, 06:32 PM
Royal Highness

I think the public will get use to him if he does become Prince Consort where he is seen all the time and people get a sense of his personality.He comes from a good working class background with no scandals, which is good. As long as he makes Victoria happy then i'm all for him. :)
Old 04-16-2005, 07:14 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandDuchess
It was such a huge difference with Daniel Collert - when they were together you could see the chemistry and a real egnition spark between them. And not so long ago we saw when she met him at an official engagment and they hugged - there was like so much going on there! It was such a warm and wonderful hug, one could really sense the special bond between them.

And for me, Daniel Westling is definitely not "Prince material" either; he doesn't strike me as a person with the right character or background for this kind of position.
While I was following royals when Victoria and Daniel Collert were dating, I do not remember much about them together. I do remember seeing at least something exciting and intriguing about Daniel Collert, but not so much in Daniel Westling. And while being royal shouldn't be about how good you look or how well dressed you are, rather it should be about the good work you do, I still think that "magic" quality is important.

Also, as the future consort, I do not feel much of a "spark" between Victoria and Daniel Westling either as GrandDuchess says.

While reading GrandDuchess' post I couldn't help of think of other consort examples, most specifically and most recently, Mary and Letizia. I think that whatever your feelings about these two women when they first arrived on the scene, whether you liked them or disliked them, I think the one thing you could at least credit these two women with was that in their own way, there was definitely a "spark" and "magic" between them and their respective future Kings. I may not have liked Mary much in the beginning, but even I could not deny that there was definite chemistry between her and Frederik and that he lit up in her presence, and vice versa. I can't say I can say the same about Daniel in Victoria's presence, though certainly Victoria in Daniel's presence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandDuchess
There's one thing that speaks in Daniel Westling's "defence" though (just one thing ), and that is that most people (the general public) have never heard him speak or even seen him on rolling tape, and so all we say about how he is as a person is quite speculative. But even so, for me the most important thing in a relationship should be chemistry and a spark - and I just don't see it...
You're right that he does get some credit for having kept mum for the past several years about himself and about his relationship with Victoria. Even more surprising is how of his circle of friends no one has said anything about their relationship, either. I guess he just wants to be the man behind the future Queen?
Old 04-16-2005, 07:44 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think one of the biggest problems for whoever marrys Victoria is the comparrison which is Silvia. Beautiful, elegant Silvia, that speaks god knows how many languages, gives wonderful interviews about important issues and works hard for several important causes. The only "new commer" that has just as though consort material to live up to is Letizia with "more royal than most royals" Queen Sofia. Lets face it Henrik is not excactly the most loved in the Danish royal family and While Sonja is generally appreciated and respected I will not say she is particularily loved or admired in Norway.

I dont know what to think about Daniel, he looks utterly uncomftarble when in the media, but so did Mette-Marit and Mary in the beginning. But I dont know anything about him, I have only seen a handful pictures, not heared him say a single word nor seen him on TV. There seems to be no scelettons in his closets or else even the lazy swedish papers would have found out by now, his friend and family have kept silent. I dont see much chemistry, but I did not see much chemestry with Mary and Frederik in the beginning either but they have come around after the wedding.

They have been together for a long time and they must have thought things trough by now, if they did not see a future together why would they still be together, since the Press obiously makes Daniel uncomftarble? I wonder if he will be happy if they marry, and Im not talking about the first 10 years when everything is new and there is children etc etc, but in the long run. Would he find royal life meaningful? What would he do and how would he be recieved by the swedes? He is a typical MedelSvensson, nothing special in anyway, but that can be said for some of the recent Crown Princesses also but they ofcourse have the luck that they atleast can dress like a true royal with hats and tiaras and galagowns, If daniel puts on a suit he will just blend in with all the other suits that are usually present for royal occations.

Unfortunatly royals today seems to be mostly about beeing thin and dress elegantly, haveing good manners, holding the bouquet the right way, do the royal wave, have a couple of children and all of the sudden take an interest in charity work...I guess if the women can do it Daniel can to. We will have to se how it goes...
Old 04-16-2005, 09:09 PM
Heir Apparent

I must say, I agree in a way with all. Good aspects, folks. I can´t see the magic either. But maybe Daniel is simply a behind-the-closed-doors-person, and in connection to that he fears, that he could make a mistake and annoy his future parents-in-law.
I wish Aftonbladet would take one of its new cameras for their excellent web-TV (this time this is no irony...for me it works really well and they cover many different things with it) and would film Daniel a bit. Then he couldn´t run away...well, he could but it would look ridiculous. Maybe they film at the wedding of Victoria´s friend Martina in summer.

I guess in half a year we know more. I know I say since my first posts here in 2003, that they will marry the next summer but I guess this time they make either a step forward or a step back. In other words, I bet, that they either break up or that they get engaged for a wedding in 2006. And to prove my thesis for the "grand jury" (->TRF) I want to present the following facts:

Frederik and Mary: 3 3/4 years between first meeting and wedding
Felipe and Letizia: 1 year between first meeting and wedding
Phillippe and Mathilde: 3 years between first meeting and wedding
Haakon and Mette Marit: 2 years between first meeting and wedding
Willem and Maxima: I don´t know for sure. But in 1998 he was still dating Emily, so the time span between the first date and the wedding must have been shorter than 4 years.

So when Victoria and Daniel would marry in summer or late spring 2006, they would have dated about 4,5 years. This would be the longest time span of all the crown princely couples. I think Mixer is right, when he´s saying, that couples, who date very long don´t marry anymore. I´ve watched this quite often. So I really think, they will make a decision soon. And since all the couples above (except Mathilde and Phillippe) had an engagement time of about 8 months, I guess we get to see a decision in autumn. If not, I really start to wonder. It can´t be very great to be in the limelight for 5 years in between two roles. And IMO it´s some kind of PR-disaster. The more time goes by, the more we can read about him being not suitable...and in the end more and more ppl will believe it.
Old 04-17-2005, 11:29 AM
Courtier

Well mybe the Swedes are more open and Vicky will just live with him. Or the king has to save some money for a marriage as he has got monetary problems
Old 04-17-2005, 02:23 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixer2002de
Well mybe the Swedes are more open and Vicky will just live with him. Or the king has to save some money for a marriage as he has got monetary problems
As much as I know the state pays the biggest part of the wedding. And though I know, that this was a meaningless Mixer-fun-comment, I want to ask, what the point of a monarchy would be, when the crown princess or queen would live together in an apartment with her boyfriend(s).
I can´t speak for the Swedes (esp. not for those, who think that the monarchy is a "skämt" for Sweden) and not for the Royal family, but I can´t imagine that both sides would be happy in the long run with this situation. Well, maybe Victoria is happy at the moment. I guess for a person like her, it´s extraordinary thrilling to live a "medelsvensson"-life (but with the option to go always back to first class hotels, Louis Vuitton-bags and holidays in Verbier)
Old 04-25-2005, 08:57 AM
Commoner

[

Sheesh. Poor Daniel can't catch a break. He's hugging CP Victoria in a doorway (with a bodyguard? standing next to them) and the paparazzi are getting shots for future tabloid articles that will speculate about their relationship and Daniel's worthiness. How lovey-dovey can anyone look under those circumstances? I think it's great that he hasn't morphed into some "consort to be" clone. What a tough position to be in.....having people from all over the planet scrutinize every aspect of your life. The average guy ought to feel lucky if he's stuck with one critical mother-in-law.
Old 04-26-2005, 11:45 AM
Gentry

I think the whole situation with Victoria and Daniel is a bit akward. They have been together for quite a while now, why are they not getting engaged? I don't know why, I just have the feeling they are not meant for each other. Saying that, tomorrow there will propbaly be announced that they are getting engaged
Old 04-27-2005, 12:31 AM
Heir Presumptive

I understand that it must be hard having a relationship in the spotlight, but if Victoria and Daniel want to stay together then that is just something they are going to have to deal with (but on a larger scale). StefanievonRantzau, you are right. The context of the photos isn’t very romantic, but I’m sure holding hands would have been better than that hug. Having said all this, it's really unfair of me to look at one photo and judge their relationship.

Old 05-05-2005, 07:03 AM
Heir Apparent

An old english habit has "hit" Sweden: Bet on all & everything. Quite popular is now to bet on an engagement between Victoria and Daniel Westling. Most Swedes don´t believe in an engagement until the end of Septemeber (the odds for "yes" are 2,55 and for "no" 1,4)
Ann Christine Jernberg´s comment: "If the ppl want to bet on such unsure things, then it´s up to them"
Hm, I would say it´s much easier to guess now an engagement right, then to bet on the result of a soccer-game between Sweden and e.g Croatia. And I bet (who wants to try to bet against me ) ACJ knows already more about an possible engagement.
If I would be Daniel or Victoria, I would also bet on the engagement

http://www.expressen.se/index.jsp?a=280196

https://www.nordicbet.com/selection?...&game_id=38859 (->special events->Sweden)
Old 05-05-2005, 07:48 AM
Heir Apparent

BTW I really think, I will participate there (they allow it ppl from all nations...and I guess you just need a VISA or Mastercard) On Daniel & Victoria not for this round...but in the next (after the 30th of September...then probably "engagement until the end of the year") and then I would vote for "yes".
There are other great bets on Royals...e.g "If it is a boy will he be named Sven O" or "Predict if Crown Princess Mette-Marit will give birth to a boy or a girl, or perhaps both." or "Predict how much Crown Princess Marys baby will weigh at the time of the birth"...could be more lucrative, than just to guess on TRF.
Old 05-08-2005, 08:59 AM
Heir Apparent

So Victoria is the only left crown princess, who isn´t married and who isn´t (becoming) a mother (I write this here, because Daniel W. could change this condition :p )...and what I´ve read in the past years at least 4 swedish close friends of Victoria got married and one will marry this summer. Does anyone know, how many of them have children?
I wonder, if Victoria gets influenced (when she would live in Alexandria´s surroundings, she surely would ) or if she´s a rational thinker (better testing and waiting a bit longer) or if she´s a very romantic person (waiting for the big, B-I-G love)
Old 05-08-2005, 09:08 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lena
So Victoria is the only left crown princess, who isn´t married and who isn´t (becoming) a mother (I write this here, because Daniel W. could change this condition :p )...and what I´ve read in the past years at least 4 swedish close friends of Victoria got married and one will marry this summer. Does anyone know, how many of them have children?
I wonder, if Victoria gets influenced (when she would live in Alexandria´s surroundings, she surely would ) or if she´s a rational thinker (better testing and waiting a bit longer) or if she´s a very romantic person (waiting for the big, B-I-G love)
I think Victoria needs to hop on a plane to Canada and come with me to some of the weddings I've been going to! Just counting April and May alone I will have attended 3 weddings and been in one. Not to mention my cousin getting married in January. Easy to get wedding fever that way!

Maybe Victoria is a late bloomer from her friends?
Old 05-08-2005, 09:16 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandria
I think Victoria needs to hop on a plane to Canada and come with me to some of the weddings I've been going to! Just counting April and May alone I will have attended 3 weddings and been in one. Not to mention my cousin getting married in January. Easy to get wedding fever that way!

Maybe Victoria is a late bloomer from her friends?
hahahaha...when will then your wedding bells ring, Alexandria (I hope I haven´t asked here a question, which you get to hear from your aunties everytime you visit them )
Maybe a late bloomer...but I´m more for the "rational thinker"-theory. Maybe it´s mean, but I guess at least the half of Victoria´s girlfriends won´t be married to the same guys in 20 years. They are all from well-off families (partly with a high rate of divorces) and don´t need the money of their partners (sorry for being so unromantic...but this is in many marriages the case- staying together because of the money and the things resulting from it) and when they get divorced, no one cares...but Victoria surely knows, that a divorce for her is possible, but much harder to realise.
Gah, now I sound like a very bitter rational girl, who doesn´t believe in marriage.
Old 05-13-2005, 01:09 AM
Majesty

so now we will wait to see if there is a engagment in the fall
Old 05-13-2005, 05:29 AM
Courtier

I would say thats getting more and more unlikely!
Old 05-13-2005, 09:04 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixer2002de
I would say thats getting more and more unlikely!
Why do you think so?
Old 05-13-2005, 09:11 AM
Courtier

Arrow Marriage

I remember last autumn/winter a lot of people thought (me included) that there would be a summer 2005 wedding but nothing materialized.

Still I hope that one day Crown Princess Victoria will marry whether it is to Daniel Westling or someone else.

Tags
crown princess victoria, daniel westling, relationships