Crown Princess Couple's Visit to Germany: January 28-29, 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LadyFinn

Imperial Majesty
City
Southwest
Country
Finland
Crown Princess Victoria and Prince Daniel with Ewa Björling, the Minister for Trade will visit Germany (Hamburg, Düsseldorf and Essen) on January 28 and 29. With them they have a business delegation focusing on strategic sectors for the future.
The program starts on January 28 in Hamburg. The Crown Princess couple and the Minister will take part at a german Swedish Conference on "Modern sustainable cities" and the exhibition "Young. Innovative. Awesome. Award winning Swedish design".
During their visit in Düsseldorf and Essen on 28 and 29 January, the Crown Princess couple and the Minister participate among other events at a german Swedish Conference on "Challenges for the information and communication technology". They attend also at a discussion on the topic "Culture as an engine of growth" with representatives of the Swedish European capital of culture 2014 Umeå, and the European capital of culture 2010 Essen.
Kronprinzessin Victoria, Prinz Daniel und SwedenAbroad
Translation

Victoria und Daniel in Düsseldorf

Last edited:
About the visit in Essen:
On Wednesday 29th January at 14.00 Victoria and Daniel are welcomed at the Ruhrmuseum by Mayor Reinhard Paß and Hermann Marth, the Chairman of the Foundation Zollverein. They write their names to the "Stahlbuch", the guestbook.
At 14.45 they visit the neighboring Red Dot Design Museum, the exhibition "Sweden at its best". In Sanaa building there is at 15.15 a round-table discussion on the cultural economic impulses by Ruhr.2010, because of the Swedish city Umeå is the 2014 European Capital of Culture.
Schwedens Prinzenpaar auf Stippvisite in Essen WAZ.de

You share the same name as me (Daniel).

Crown Princess Victoria and Prince Daniel with Ewa Björling .....................should I say Prince Daniel and I share the same name.

Last edited by a moderator:
About the visit:
On Tuesday 28th January
In Hamburg
At 09.30 welcomed at the Town Hall by Mayor Olaf Scholz, at 10.20 the conference "Modern Green Cities - Opportunities for Businesses in Sweden and Germany" at the Chamber of Commerce, at 12.00 Victoria 2 inaugurates at the Museum of Ethnology the exhibition "Jung. Innovativ. Genial. Preisgekröntes schwedisches Design". At 13.45 visit to HafenCity.
In Düsseldorf
At 18.00 Hannelore Kraft, the Minister President of Nordrhein-Westfalen, welcomes Victoria and Daniel and they will sign the guestbook. At 19.15 is a dinner in Schloss Eller hosted by Kraft.
On Wednesday 29th January
At 09.00 they visit the Ericsson Company, sign the guestbook and discuss with seminar participants. At 11.00 Lord Mayor of Düsseldorf, Dirk Elbers welcomes Victoria and Daniel at the City Hall, they sign the Golden Book of the city. The visit is scheduled to last 30 minutes.
Royals im Hamburger Rathaus - St. Georg - hamburger-wochenblatt.de
Schweden-Besuch Kommt Prinzessin Victoria auf Krücken Düsseldorf* EXPRESS

I am curious if Victoria will speak german. Last time in Berlin I was shocked how bad her german was, considering its her mother's mother tongue, I expected her to be fluent.

I am curious whether Victoria will speak German. Last time in Berlin I was shocked how bad her German was, considering it's her mother's mother tongue, I expected her to be fluent.

I think that there are several reasons why learning German might not have been a top priority in Victoria's education. English was probably her first foreign language. Did Queen Silvia really put emphasis on speaking German with her? Silvia had to learn Swedish and learning it with her daughter is a good way of doing it. German is a quite difficult language to learn. In addition Silvia has 2 mother tongues, the other one being Portuguese.

But I read that Madeleine and Chris occasionally speak German together, and maybe also with Queen Silvia; he was partly educated in Switzerland.

Last edited:
Victoria has told in Herman Lindqvist's book "Victoria - drottning med tiden", that Queen Silvia tried to speak german with her children when they were little but they spoke Swedish with her because the queen was good in it. Victoria says that she understands everything in german but doesn't speak german so well. She speaks german with her german relatives when she meets them.
But nobody has ever wondered why king Carl Gustaf doesn't speak german although he had a german mother. The king and Silvia spoke english with eachother before the she learned swedish.

Last edited:
Well I do not know why/whether the king and Silvia spoke English before the engagement but he definitely speaks German as do his sisters. He also has several German friends. Silvia had an interview with ZDF a few years ago in which she said that her husband is fluent in German. I also remember the funeral of Austria's late president Klestil which Silvia and CG attended. You could see and hear them talking German with President Fischer as well as the family.

Victoria has told in Herman Lindqvist's book "Victoria - drottning med tiden", that Queen Silvia tried to speak german with her children when they were little but they spoke Swedish with her because the queen was good in it. Victoria says that she understands everything in german but doesn't speak german so well. She speaks german with her german relatives when she meets them.

I think its lack of practise. I recently saw Silvia's documentary and you can tell that she doesnt speak German every day or often enough to keep in flow with the language. Of course she still speaks it, but in a weird way, if that makes sense. I dont know about her portuguese, maybe Silvia was always more up to date in portuguese than in german.

I also think it is lack of practise in Silvia's case. She always thinks before she speaks German and I always hear a slight accent in her speech. So probably she really has always been more fluent in Portuguese than in German.

I think its lack of practise. I recently saw Silvia's documentary and you can tell that she doesnt speak German every day or often enough to keep in flow with the language. Of course she still speaks it, but in a weird way, if that makes sense. I dont know about her portuguese, maybe Silvia was always more up to date in portuguese than in german.

I meant that Victoria said that she (not queen Silvia) understands everything in german, but doesn't speak it very well, and that Victoria speaks german with her german relatives.
Herman Lindqvist has said that the queen spoke english with the king when they were dating and before she learned swedish. Lindqvist also said that no one of the royal family except the queen and princess Birgitta are very good in german. Lindqvist also said that princess Sibylla spoke english with her husband before she learned swedish.

Last edited:
I meant that Victoria said that she (not queen Silvia) understands everything in german, but doesn't speak it very well, and that Victoria speaks german with her german relatives.

But that's the same lack of practice, she wont speak too often to those relatives and doesnt speak german with her mother. Its perfectly possible to understand everything but not to speak at all.

Victoria gave an interview before the visit to Frankfurter Allgemeine. It the newspaper's website Victoria says that her father will remain head of state for many years and she focuses on her duties as a crown princess.
Kronprinzessin im F.A.Z.-Interview Prinzessin Victoria Es dauert noch lange, bis ich Königin werde - Gesellschaft - FAZ
Translation

Another photo
http://imageupper.com/i/?S0200010080011S1390838902942419

According to Bild, Victoria and Daniel are staying the night at the Hotel Hyatt Regendy Dusseldorf in Medienhafen. Of course the hotel doesn't confirm this to Bild.
Psst - Victoria schläft im Medienhafen - Düsseldorf - Bild.de
Translation

Last edited:
Svensk Damtidning about Victoria's interview in Frankfurter Allgemeine, they have had access to the whole interview.
Victoria about Princess Estelle upbringing: "She must learn to live with the situation".
Princess Estelle is already a public figure although she is still small. Victoria says she thinks it will fall out naturally for Estelle: "I hope that we will be able to allow her to have a safe and loving upbringing. And I hope she will be a girl, a person, who is conscious and sees things as they are".
Victoria reveals that Estelle likes when Victoria is reading Pippi Longstocking for her: "For a mother becomes it once again allowed to read children's books. To experience one's childhood again, it's fun".
Kronprinsessan Victoria berättar sin syn på monarkin Svensk Damtidning
Translation

Aftonbladet about the interview
’Hoppas hon ser saker som de är’ Nyheter Aftonbladet

Last edited:
Victoria hinkt durch Hamburg und besucht am Abend Düsseldorf

Ulrika Näsholm from the court press department says that the doctors have said that Victoria does have to go with crutches for six weeks after her accident a month ago. Despite of her crutches Victoria stayed and talked with germans who had waited for her and Daniel.
Article with short video
Haltande start på Tysklandsbesöket Nyheter Expressen Senaste nytt - Nyheter Sport Nöje TV
Translation

From the court website
Kronprinsessparet besöker Tyskland - Sveriges Kungahus
Translation

Victoria's speech at the inauguration of the seminar "Modern Green Cities: Opportunities and Challenges for German and Swedish Business", (english)
H.K.H. Kronprinsessan Victorias tal vid öppnandet av seminariet Modern Green Cities Opportunities and Challenges for German and Swedish Business , Hamburg, tisdagen den 28 januari 2014 - Sveriges Kungahus

More photos
http://daserste.ndr.de/royalty/schweden/victoria551.html
What a nice photo
http://daserste.ndr.de/royalty/schweden/victoriadaniel133_v-ardgalerie.jpg

Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GvYh72U-bk&list=UUdIDPY7qvRAbegaHlEoFJFg&feature=c4-overview

Last edited:
Last edited:
Arrival to the dinner
Swedish Royals Visit North Rhine-Westphalia - Pictures - Zimbio
Prinzessin von Schweden in Düsseldorf So strahlt Victoria beim Empfang im Schloss Eller
While arriving to the dinner, Victoria and Daniel had also time to meet people waiting for them
Schwedische Kronprinzessin Victoria zu Besuch in Düsseldorf - Düsseldorf - Lokales - Westdeutsche Zeitung

A video, Victoria spoke a little german with the people
Royaler Deutschlandbesuch Kronprinzessin Victoria trotz Krücken bester Laune - n-tv.de

It is probably one of the most moving moments at Crown Princess Victoria's visit to Germany. When she on Wednesday at 19.17 came to the Schloss Eller together with her ​​husband Daniel, she walks up to a group of young fans who cheer her enthusiastic, have blue yellow flags in the colors of Sweden and give her flowers. Among them: the 20-year-old Sarah Rauchfuß from Mönchengladbach. She is standing in the front row and handed Victoria's husband a photo of Victoria and their daughter Estelle. When Daniel passes on the gift to his wife, the Princess is clearly emotional. "Oh, now I get homesick," says the future Queen of Sweden in flawless German.
Prinzessin Victoria ist gerührt vom Empfang der Fans - Düsseldorf - Lokales - Westdeutsche Zeitung
Translation

Swedish royal Victoria refuses to let a ski accident stop her carrying out her duties as she arrives in Hamburg with husband Mail Online

Video
Schwedens Kronprinzessin Victoria zu Besuch in Düsseldorf WAZ.de

Last edited:
Great to hear Victoria speaking German, it is the first time that I hear her :flowers::flowers::flowers:
BYe Bine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom