Princess Victoria of Sweden's Official Visit to Japan: April 5-10, 2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennism

Majesty
City
East of the sun and west of the moon
Country
United States
TOKYO — Swedish Crown Princess Victoria and Industry and Trade Minister Thomas Östros will visit Japan in April to attend the Swedish national day at the 2005 World Exposition in Aichi Prefecture, Swedish Embassy officials said Wednesday.

Sweden, together with four other Nordic countries, will present a joint Nordic exhibition pavilion at the Aichi Expo under the theme "The Oasis in the North," which focuses on design, the environment and energy, the officials said. (Kyodo News)

There is more about the expo here

Sights Old and New at Aichi Expo 05

World´s Fair organizers just hope they will see crowds.

spacer.gif

AP
spacer.gif

Nagakute, Japan - Imagine a future where robots work as receptionists and street cleaners, and cities build walls of vegetation to combat global warming. Or better, check out this year's World's Fair, where caring for the environment goes hand in hand with technological innovation.

The fair, opening Friday in the central Japanese prefecture of Aichi, also will boast something from the past: a 10,000-year-old Siberian woolly mammoth.

Aichi Expo 2005 plans to display an almost perfectly preserved head of the mammoth, complete with majestic, curved tusks and tufts of fur protruding from its gray skin, which scientists excavated from the Siberian tundra in June.

"Expos must address issues of global concern," Toshio Nakamura, the secretary-general of this exposition, said. "We are focusing on things you experience - what you can do only if you come to the venue."

Despite the presence of an ancient beast and grand visions of high-tech urbanites flourishing side by side with nature, organizers have set a low bar for the fair's success, given the poor track records of the last two world expositions.

Nakamura said Aichi fair organizers hoped to draw 15 million visitors by the time the expo closes Sept. 25, including 1.5 million from overseas. This target is far below the 40 million visitors organizers reportedly aimed to attract when the idea for hosting the 2005 exposition was hatched in the late 1980s.

The 2000 exposition in Hanover, Germany, brought in 18 million people, far short of an initially projected 40 million, leaving organizers $1 billion in the red. The German government was stuck paying off two-thirds of the debt.

The 1998 fair in Lisbon, Portugal, drew 10 million visitors, below the 15 million target, and lost nearly $340 million.

Putting on the Aichi exposition has required a large investment: Just building the exhibition site and its pavilions has cost about $3.23 billion.

Local and national governments have also spent billions of dollars constructing a new airport and highways to the site. The private sector, which operates the new international airport serving Nagoya, also pitched in for the extra infrastructure.

It remains to be seen whether people will attend.

As was the case with Hanover, critics are questioning the point of holding a world fair in the age of the Internet and the jet plane.

The earliest world fairs, starting with the first in London in 1851, allowed host nations to showcase their industrial power and gave guest countries the opportunity to introduce themselves to the rest of the globe.

Japan, for one, used the 1873 Vienna exposition to open trade routes with Europe after centuries of near-total isolation.

Today, the curious only need book a plane ticket to travel halfway around the world, or simply surf the Web to explore other cultures and new ideas.

Despite such doubts, the Aichi exposition has attracted pavilions from 122 countries, including the United States, which skipped the Hanover exposition because of a shortage of private-sector financing.

"We've had an overwhelming response," said Lisa Guillermin Gable, the commissioner general of the U.S. exhibition, noting 41 companies and 18 states had signed up as sponsors for the American pavilion.

The U.S. pavilion features a live feed of images from Mars via the Mars Rover - the only place in the world where these shots can be seen by the public - and a model of a fuel-cell car developed by General Motors.

It is the oldest item at the expo that may attract the most attention, however.

Mammoths appeared in Africa about four million years ago and roamed the plains of Siberia for nearly two million years before suddenly dying off 10,000 years ago. Scientists remain divided over the cause of the mammoths' extinction, with theories pointing at human hunters, a killer disease, or climate change.

Experts hope the specimen on display will provide clues to why the beasts became extinct.

Dennism said:
TOKYO — Swedish Crown Princess Victoria and Industry and Trade Minister Thomas Östros
And I still miss the old Minister for Trade & Industry, Leif Pagrotsky, who made such a fantastic team together with Crown Princess Victoria.... *nostalgic* :) (I will try not to repeat this every time it says she's going somewhere with the new minister... :D)

Crown Princess Victoria and the Minister will travel to Japan withl a little entourage of people whom will represent Sweden at the pavillion for The Sweden Day on 6 April. Among them are a group from Cirkus Cirkör (modern circus), Sahara Hotnights (rock group), Ana (pop singer, she did the theme song for the Spiderman film) and Carl-Einar Häckner (comedian, magician).

GrandDuchess said:
And I still miss the old Minister for Trade & Industry, Leif Pagrotsky, who made such a fantastic team together with Crown Princess Victoria.... *nostalgic* :) (I will try not to repeat this every time it says she's going somewhere with the new minister... :D)

Crown Princess Victoria and the Minister will travel to Japan withl a little entourage of people whom will represent Sweden at the pavillion for The Sweden Day on 6 April. Among them are a group from Cirkus Cirkör (modern circus), Sahara Hotnights (rock group), Ana (pop singer, she did the theme song for the Spiderman film) and Carl-Einar Häckner (comedian, magician).
Thank you for the information. Wow. Victoria is quite busy. She flew all the way to Australia, went back home; and now she is flying all the way to Japan, which isn't that far from Australia. Such long trips to make so close to one another. The Sweden Day sounds like a lot of fun. :p

Danielle said:
Thank you for the information. Wow. Victoria is quite busy. She flew all the way to Australia, went back home; and now she is flying all the way to Japan, which isn't that far from Australia
Yes, and soon she's off to Bangladesh and Sri Lanka!

GrandDuchess said:

What is the source to this? I wonder, because it was also said Victoria would go on the 26th to the Expo in Aichi. I know, that the Sweden day is on the 6th, but I´ve thought she would maybe prefer to travel to Japan from Bangladesh or Sri Lanka...and would give the Swedish pavillion a "second Sweden day" through this.

Lena said:
What is the source to this? I wonder, because it was also said Victoria would go on the 26th to the Expo in Aichi. I know, that the Sweden day is on the 6th, but I´ve thought she would maybe prefer to travel to Japan from Bangladesh or Sri Lanka...and would give the Swedish pavillion a "second Sweden day" through this.
My source is the Government Offices. She won't go on the 26th, only on the 6th - which is the Sweden Day. That previous date was wrong, and it must've been a mix up or something.

Princess Victoria's Official Visit to Japan; April 5-10, 2005

Schedule for Crown Princess Victoria’s visit to Japan, 5-10 April 2005

Wednesday 6 April

*Attendance at Expo 2005 and the official opening of “The Swedish National Day” and a visit to the Japanese pavilion, attendance at the Swedish cultural programme at Dome Theatre
* Press meeting with Swedish and Japanese media
* Opening of an exhibition of Swedish produced things for children at the Matsuzakaya department store in Nagoya

Thursday 7 April

* Visit to the Umezono Primary School in Okazaki (friendship city to Sweden), where she will follow the classes in calligraphy and gymnastics, lunch with students from the school
* Visit to the Swedish Chamber of Commerce in Japan
* Dinner with Crown Prince Naruhito in the Akasaka Palace

Friday 8 April

* Attendance at a seminar hosted by The Swedish Care Institute in Tokyo
* Opening of a design exhibition at the Swedish Embassy in Tokyo
* Attendance, together with Princess Takamado, when the foundation to a new IKEA store is laid in Yokohama
* Attendance at a reception at the Swedish Embassy in Tokyo, attended by Prince and Princess Hitachi (Prince Hitachi is the protector of the Japan-Sweden Society)

Saturday 9 April

* Luncheon with the Emperor and Empress of Japan

at the Nordic Pavilion of the 2005 World Expo on April 6, 2005 in Nagakute, Aichi prefecture of Japan.

Attachments

• VicJap2.jpeg
    VicJap2.jpeg
    56.1 KB · Views: 389
  • VicJap1.jpeg
    VicJap1.jpeg
    65.8 KB · Views: 401
  • Vicjap5.jpeg
    Vicjap5.jpeg
    48.1 KB · Views: 455
  • Vicjap4.jpeg
    Vicjap4.jpeg
    50.9 KB · Views: 384
  • VicJap3.jpeg
    VicJap3.jpeg
    52.9 KB · Views: 380
  • Vicjap6.jpeg
    Vicjap6.jpeg
    35.8 KB · Views: 411
  • Vicjap7.jpeg
    Vicjap7.jpeg
    35.9 KB · Views: 371
  • Vicjap8.jpeg
    Vicjap8.jpeg
    38.9 KB · Views: 403
  • Vicjap9.jpeg
    Vicjap9.jpeg
    35.4 KB · Views: 410
  • Vicjap10.jpeg
    Vicjap10.jpeg
    36 KB · Views: 378
More from Japan today. Looking gorgeous as usual.

Attachments

• Vicjap11.jpeg
    Vicjap11.jpeg
    40.4 KB · Views: 312
  • Vicjap12.jpeg
    Vicjap12.jpeg
    77.6 KB · Views: 357
  • Vicjap13.jpeg
    Vicjap13.jpeg
    62 KB · Views: 315
  • Vicjap14.jpeg
    Vicjap14.jpeg
    46.3 KB · Views: 316
  • Vicjap15.jpeg
    Vicjap15.jpeg
    55.7 KB · Views: 431
  • Vicjap16.jpeg
    Vicjap16.jpeg
    34.5 KB · Views: 348
  • Vicjap17.jpeg
    Vicjap17.jpeg
    50.9 KB · Views: 298
  • Vicjap18.jpeg
    Vicjap18.jpeg
    76.5 KB · Views: 480
Two more from this afternoon:

Attachments

• Vicjap20.jpeg
    Vicjap20.jpeg
    31 KB · Views: 340
  • Vicjap19.jpeg
    Vicjap19.jpeg
    33.2 KB · Views: 408
  • Vicjap21.jpeg
    Vicjap21.jpeg
    29 KB · Views: 361
Last edited:
You´re welcome. Yes, they are lovely.

Great photos. Thanks! While I am not overly fond of these shoes, they are a thousand times better than the other ones (sorry, I just had to bring it up :)). I think we are starting to see "Aussie Victoria" reappear in these photos. Thank goodness! It certainly is a vast improvement from the HCA events. The coat suits her, I think, and the pony tail, although still there, looks a little tidier and less noticeable.

You´re welcome, Danielle. Here are two more photos.

Attachments

• Vicjap22.jpeg
    Vicjap22.jpeg
    27.2 KB · Views: 352
  • Vicjap23.jpeg
    Vicjap23.jpeg
    28.6 KB · Views: 280
I like this dress
will she travel home after japan or go ahead to her tour in asia

Some more photos from Japan. That´s Minister for Industry and Trade Thomas Östros in the 4th photo.

Attachments

• Vicjap24.jpeg
    Vicjap24.jpeg
    22.4 KB · Views: 321
  • Vicjap25.jpeg
    Vicjap25.jpeg
    23.8 KB · Views: 302
  • Vicjap26.jpeg
    Vicjap26.jpeg
    49.1 KB · Views: 490
  • Vicjap27.jpeg
    Vicjap27.jpeg
    23.4 KB · Views: 325
Princess Victoria is a beautiful girl but I really don't like her wearing glasses . I think that it really doesn't suit her, it makes her appear more old . I wonder why she never wears contact lens ??! Has she an allergy or something like that ?

More photos from Japan. Victoria visits a Swedish-made toy shop at the expo. Look at that beautiful face in the 2nd photo. She is "psyched" and "ready to rumble" as we say in the American vernacular. Then she must have scored. Måååååål! She screams out!

Attachments

• Vicjap30.jpeg
    Vicjap30.jpeg
    47.8 KB · Views: 350
  • Vicjap29.jpeg
    Vicjap29.jpeg
    42.8 KB · Views: 448
  • Vicjap28.jpeg
    Vicjap28.jpeg
    38.4 KB · Views: 359
Anita said:
Princess Victoria is a beautiful girl but I really don't like her wearing glasses . I think that it really doesn't suit her, it makes her appear more old . I wonder why she never wears contact lens ??! Has she an allergy or something like that ?

is it not good that she wears glasses becouse the younger girls see that its not something they only wear
I hope that you understand what i mean

I do not like when victoria wears glases in gala but if she needs it to see better then i can object
but her wearing glasses when she "works" does not botrher me at all

Josefine said:
is it not good that she wears glasses becouse the younger girls see that its not something they only wear
I hope that you understand what i mean

I do not like when victoria wears glases in gala but if she needs it to see better then i can object
but her wearing glasses when she "works" does not botrher me at all

Hm, since she wears her glasses more, I wear mine less :D Well, I don´t need them really. And I wonder, how much Victoria needs them. She has gotten them very late (at 11 or 12), so I wonder if her visual defect is really so strong, that she needs permanently glasses. I know, that some children and teenagers develop a visual defect later in their growing years (for me it was reversed...I got glasses at 4 and since then my visus has improved permanently) but I guess this isn´t the norm.
I think member Alva, who I haven´t seen for a while, is an optician...maybe she could say more.

Thank you for the pictures. It seems now the long (boring?) hours with Daniel in the ice hockey stadiums make sense ;)

;)
Lena said:
Hm, since she wears her glasses more, I wear mine less :D Well, I don´t need them really. And I wonder, how much Victoria needs them. She has gotten them very late (at 11 or 12), so I wonder if her visual defect is really so strong, that she needs permanently glasses.

I remember that Victoria didn't wear glasses even when she was "at work" a few years ago . It's a very recent thing . So it's very strange . Maybe she only wants to look more stylish or serious or something like that ...

Crown Princess Victoria at The Sweden Day at Expo 2005 in Aichi, Japan. These are from Fotomarktplatz:

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 339
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 308
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 307
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 434
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 325
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 314
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 308
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 310
From YAHOO!

capt.xkan10204060417.japan_sweden_princess_xkan102.jpg

Sweden's Crown Princess Victoria, left, receives the flowers from Kevin Ahrlind, right, and his brother Jonathan, dressed in Japanese traditional 'hakama' trousers, as she arrives at the Nordic Joint Pavilion of the Aichi Expo 2005 on Wednesday, April 6, 2005 at Nagakute, Aichi prefecture in central Japan. The world fair is on the themes of the technology and the environment. The brothers are half Swedish and half Japanese, living in a nearby city in the prefecture. (AP Photo/Shizuo Kambayashi)

capt.xkan10504060413.japan_sweden_princess_xkan105.jpg

Sweden's Crown Princess Victoria arrives at the Nordic Joint Pavilion of the Aichi Expo 2005 on Wednesday, April 6, 2005 at Nagakute, Aichi prefecture in central Japan. The world fair is on the themes of the technology and the environment. (AP Photo/Shizuo Kambayashi)

capt.xkan10104060354.japan_sweden_princess_xkan101.jpg

Sweden's Crown Princess Victoria arrives at the Nordic Joint Pavilion of the Aichi Expo 2005 on Wednesday, April 6, 2005 at Nagakute, Aichi prefecture in central Japan. The world fair is on the themes of the technology and the environment. (AP Photo/Shizuo Kambayashi)

From YAHOO!

capt.xkan10504061213.japan_sweden_princess_xkan105.jpg

Swedish Crown Princess Victoria admires cherry blossoms flower arrangement during her inspection tour to a one-week Swedish baby toy fair at Matsuzakaya department store in Nagoya, central Japan, Wednesday, April 6, 2005. Victoria attended the Sweden Day event celebrated at Aichi Expo world's fair near Nagoya earlier in the day. (AP Photo/Shizuo Kambayashi)

capt.xkan10804061205.japan_sweden_princess_xkan108.jpg

Swedish Crown Princess Victoria celebrates after scoring a goal as she plays a hockey game with Swedish Industry and Trade Minister Thomas Oestros during her inspection tour to a one-week Swedish baby toy fair at Matsuzakaya department store in Nagoya, central Japan, Wednesday, April 6, 2005. Victoria attended the Swedish Day event celebrated at Aichi Expo world's fair near Nagoya earlier in the day. (AP Photo/Shizuo Kambayashi)

capt.xkan10704061205.japan_sweden_princess_xkan107.jpg

Swedish Crown Princess Victoria, right, plays a hockey game with Swedish Industry and Trade Minister Thomas Oestros, left, during her inspection tour to a one-week Swedish baby toy fair at Matsuzakaya department store in Nagoya, central Japan, Wednesday, April 6, 2005. Victoria attended the Swedish Day event celebrated at Aichi Expo world's fair near Nagoya earlier in the day. (AP Photo/Shizuo Kambayashi)

Lovely, lovely photos. I looove her outfit. It's youthful, chic,and hip.:)

She looks great except for that darn ponytail...:eek: Seriously, I think she would've looked sooo much nicer if she had her hair done like this...

Attachments

• CP visits home for the blind.jpg
    CP visits home for the blind.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 294
I really liked her suit, and the ponytail was not too bad... It will be interesting to see what she will wear the other days, if she will continue with the good taste she had in sydney. That good taste seems to only be used when she is abroad and not present here at home (atleast not as often).:confused:

I must say Victoria impresses me with her work ethics, first Australia then Denmark and now Japan, soon to be followed by another trip. Well done to her:D The minister she travel with now looks like a drag, nothing like the little youthful one she used to trave with.....Patgorsky something???

I love her suit and the shoes are Ok, better than the grandma pumps she used during the latest state visit, and since I have settled on the fact that Victoria will not loose her ponytail anyday soon, the next best thing would be to chop of atleast half of it, she can always use extensions for galas like her mother does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom