Christening of Princess Estelle: May 22, 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The ceremony is also on SVT now but I'm on my phone and can't post a link.

I'm guessing the reception wasn't televised? What a shame.

I enjoyed the wonderful pictures and videos of this important Event. Thanks a lot
What surprises me was when HM the Queen of Denmark was entering the Church the attendance was sitting !

What surprises me was when HM the Queen of Denmark was entering the Church the attendance was sitting !

I noticed that too. Can't say I was very amused by it but there is no doubt an explanation for it .

Last edited:
I really enjoyed lookig at the lovely pictures of the christening. Baby Estelle is a cutie pie and her parents are so fond of their daughter.

The choice godparents is perfect and Princess Mary being among the godparents was not a surprise. Let's hope that Prince Frederik will be godfather of CP Victoria's next child.

I just watched the ceremony on svt:
Dopceremonin - Det kungliga dopet | SVT Play

Just like the Swedish court pulled off the best royal wedding that I know of, they also organised the nicest christening ceremony. Queen Silvia was very well dressed IMO, the most elegant woman by far. Maxima and Mathilde the usual Natan mess. Nice to see Stephanie de Lannoy, it seems she wore a hat from her future mother-in-law. The chapel is very beautiful btw.

Sofia Hellqvist was behaving more obnoxious than I expected. Of course she is used to pose for cameras, but she overdid it this time. They arranged an invitation for this woman, and instead of being discreet and on the background (like Chris O'Neill) she seemed to think that the whole thing was about her.

Last edited:
Just like the Swedish court pulled off the best royal wedding that I know of, they also organised the nicest christening ceremony.

Agreed. And Stockholm Palace is such grand setting. It reminds me, in it's own way, of being the Versailles of the North.

Agreed. And Stockholm Palace is such grand setting. It reminds me, in it's own way, of being the Versailles of the North.
Well, it's actually Drottningholm castle that's nicknamed "Versailles of the North".

Wow I just watched all the 463 christening pictures on the Swedish Royal Website and guess what ? There was not even one clear photo of CP Mary where she is alone and/or in the foreground (the same applies for all the godparents except Carl Philip) BUT more than 20 pictures of Sofia (sometimes alone and sometimes with Chris) featured prominently in the foreground. Think of it whatever you want but I see an engagement coming in the next few weeks .....

Well, it's actually Drottningholm castle that's nicknamed "Versailles of the North".

I was thinking more of it's aweinspiring presence. It's cheer size, the inbuilt Grand Chapel, the Hall of State etc. Certainly the largest royal palace in Scandinavia.

Last edited:
I noticed that all the Swedish Royal members wore a portrait of the King. Except for Daniel. Is there a reason he hasn't recieved the order? Or did he just not wear it?

I noticed that all the Swedish Royal members wore a portrait of the King. Except for Daniel. Is there a reason he hasn't recieved the order? Or did he just not wear it?

I would assume that in Sweden just as in Great Britain family orders are given only to women.

I just watched the ceremony on svt:
Dopceremonin - Det kungliga dopet | SVT Play

Just like the Swedish court pulled off the best royal wedding that I know of, they also organised the nicest christening ceremony. Queen Silvia was very well dressed IMO, the most elegant woman by far. Maxima and Mathilde the usul Natan mess. Nice to see Stephanie de Lannoy, it seems she wore a hat from her future mother-in-law. The chappel is very beautiful btw.

Sofia Hellqvist was behaving more obnoxious than I expected. Of course she is used to pose for cameras, but she overdid it this time. They arranged an invitation for this woman, and instead of being discreet and on the background (like Chris O'Neill) she seemed to think that the whole thing was about her.

Agree on all accounts.
- This was the best royal christening ceremony in recent decades
- Queen Silvia was very elegant, but I didn't care for Maxima's red ensemble (too bright).
- Having tried very hard in the past to like Sofia, I was taken aback by her behaviour. A bit more discreet attitude could have done wonders.

Unfortunately, I have to agree with Kit as well; given how prominently she's featured in the pictures and her invitation to the christening, it now seems that an engagement will imminently be announced quite soon.

I would assume that in Sweden just as in Great Britain family orders are given only to women.
Correct. Only female members receive the sovereign's portrait. As is the case in Denmark, Norway, the UK and Tonga.

this christening was my favorite, victoria wow i have never see a mother more happy and glowing like her, she is the best lucky charm for sweden, i adore her, i love forward to her taken the monarch into a new light like Queen of england. kudos she is a true role model bless you and your cuties baby!!
As for the rest of the guest they all look great but sofia the girlfriend of carl oh mine she seems so confident and proud of herself, she must have got the ring because she was glowing with pride that tell me behind close door it is a done deal just like kate did before the wedding.anyway i will be watching the news by just looking at her i can tell it is sooner than later, we all have to accept it she is now part of the monarch. i also have to give kudos to the dad wow look so happy and over joy.congrats.:flowers:

Princes Haakon Philippe and Guillaume wore their uniform and Sash , Prince Willem-Alexander and Frederic no ?

LadyFinn said:
No, that is princess Birgitta, the king's sister.

Oh, I didn't recognize her. Must be the angle.

No, that is princess Birgitta, the king's sister.

Princess Birgitta is wearing a white dress and is much thinner than this lady. I also think the lady at the cradle is Princess Estelle's nanny.

Yes, I probably was mistaken, this maybe be the nanny, she just looks quite different from a side view.

The first lady of Finland, mrs Jenni Haukio wore yesterday a brooch designed by Katariina Guthwert due to that this year it is 150 years from the birth of finnish painter Helene Schjerfbeck, it costs 49 euros. Iltasanomat called to Katariina Guthwert, she told that her friends had sent her a photo of Haukion in Facebook and she saw that it was her brooch. Guthwert says that it is a great honour for her that Haukio wore her brooch and she thinks that it is great that Haukio wore it at an event where people have real orders. Guthwert tells that also the former Speaker of the finnish Parliament, Riitta Uosukainen has similar brooch, she has also one with a photo of author Minna Canth.
Rouva Haukion suomalaiskoru herätti huomiota - Ilta-Sanomat
Helene Schjerfbeck
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helene_Schjerfbeck

Last edited:
Victoria and Daniel got sad news just before the christening. MTV3 quotes Expressen, one of the employees of the court died on Sunday. He had worked at the court for many years and was close to Victoria. He had fighted against a very serious illness and tried to do his work as good as possible. Bertil Ternert told to Expressen that although the man was very sick, he tried to come to work every day. A week ago his condition worsened and he was taken to the hospital. Ternert says that of course Victoria and Daniel are very moved of the death of an employee close to them.
Suru varjosti Estellen ristiäisiä - MTV3.fi - Viihde - Uutiset

It's a popular misconception that the King's portrait on a blue ribbon is a family order - in Sweden, it is NOT.
It's simply a tradition that the female family members wear the clasp with the miniature portrait of the current monarch in a diamond frame on the blue ribbon of their Order Of The Seraphim.
I was thinking more of it's aweinspiring presence. It's cheer size, the inbuilt Grand Chapel, the Hall of State etc. Certainly the largest royal palace in Scandinavia.
Stockholm Palace is one of the largest palaces in all Europe; actually, before King Carl Gustaf and Queen Silvia moved to Drottningholm Palace, it was the biggest permanently lived-in palace in the world.

It's a popular misconception that the King's portrait on a blue ribbon is a family order - in Sweden, it is NOT.
It's simply a tradition that the female family members wear the clasp with the miniature portrait of the current monarch in a diamond frame on the blue ribbon of their Order Of The Seraphim.

Interesting. So they are automatically entitled to it? Or does the king still present them with it somehow?

Back
Top Bottom