Christening of Princess Estelle: May 22, 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It is a shame, that MM didn't come. I know, she is now in Seattle at the Young Global Leaders meeting, but the christening of P. Estelle is/was once time in her life, and YGL meeting will be more time..

Is it now a "babywatch"?

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably just me, but the idea of giving a 3 month old baby membership of an order of chivalry is just a tad silly.

Yeah, can't say I agree. I find it a very charming and special moment within what was a beautiful and historical ceremony in itself.

Beautiful christening. Victoria and Daniel looked so proud of their daughter.

I really liked the idea of giving her the order as she would have received it at some point anyway and at least at her christening it has been incorporated beautifully into the special occasion.

What did CP Hakon say during the cermony, my computer freezed and I don't know Norwegin

What feeling is it, that her baby cry, but she should smile to the guests... Hard work for the future queen. She is first CP, than mother... :( Sad.

WA, Haakon and Mary are all close friends of Victoria's. They don't see each other once or twice a year, more often every month or even more. The Scandinavian royals are very close and visit each other on weekends apparently. They have chosen friends.

Really? I would've thought if they're seeing one another that much, there'd be reams and reams of photographs of it. They live hundreds and hundreds of miles from each other, it's not as if Estelle can pop round to Willem Alexander's house if she fancies a heart to heart.

I'm sure Victoria and Daniel have many much closer friends that they've known all their lives who would've loved to be godparent to Estelle.

One or two royals I could understand, but so many seems odd.

tihkon2 said:
Could she be any cuter with her little order? The King looked pleased as punch to give her the Seraphim. :)

It was indeed a great moment for him and for the whole family :)

But she won't wear the order until she turns 18.

Lady Felicity M said:
What did CP Hakon say during the cermony, my computer freezed and I don't know Norwegin

He read from Paul's letter to the galatians.

EIIR said:
Really? I would've thought if they're seeing one another that much, there'd be reams and reams of photographs of it. They live hundreds and hundreds of miles from each other, it's not as if Estelle can pop round to Willem Alexander's house if she fancies a heart to heart.

I'm sure Victoria and Daniel have many much closer friends that they've known all their lives who would've loved to be godparent to Estelle.

Those royals are Victoria's friends, close friends. They have known each other all their lives. We don't get many photographs, because press on the continent seem to respect private time with friends.
Plane rides, the longest would be to the Netherlands is what maybe 2 hours long? It's not hard in modern day life to fly somewhere for the weekend. These royals have flown to Sweden for the day just for a 45 minute christening, the distance is less than 800 miles you could drive it in less than 12 hours.

This is the future Queen of Sweden 3 royal godparents is minor, Carl Gustaf has 9 godparents in total, 8 are royal.

i loved the song -

"Vilar glad. I din famn" av Kristina Lugn och Benny Andersson

same song as the wedding

Little Estelle is a cute! Everybody looks so moved and pround during the Christening! The King looks absolutely taken by his first grandaughter, just lovely...::flowers:flowers::flowers:

Why aren't they showing more from the reception?! :bang: Just a small clip and then recaps on the event. I wish I could've seen the cradle better. Please tell there's a live stream somewhere that will continue...?

Whoever said that it was nice that Daniel was breaking the tradition by carrying the child, I don't think there was any break in tradition there. From what I saw, the king held all his three children on their christenings and what surprised me the most, he was the one who carried the christened baby out of the chapel every time. Either he was a very doting father or it was the tradition.

Funny to see that Estelle was a very calm baby on her christening just like mamma-Victoria and uncle Carl Philip. Auntie Madeleine though was far from calm! :ROFLMAO:

Can't wait for the videos to be put on youtube so that I can watch all of it without hick ups

Is the ceremony on SVT yet? They're usually pretty good about uploading things.

I had to miss this christening (work), so please someone post a video.
From what I have seen from pictures, it was a moving, beautiful and quite regal ceremony. Baby Estelle gets cuter by day. :)

Just because you don't understand something doesn't make it 'odd'. Scandinavian royal children, particularly those in direct line of succession have a varied selection of royal godparents. It's the way it's done amongst these houses.

There is plenty of information throughout these forums if anyone is serious about understanding the various relationship dynamics of the people we discuss. You just have to want to look to become better informed.

Princess Ingrid Alexandra -

* Crown Prince Frederik
* Crown Princess Victoria
* Prince of Asturias
* Princess Martha Louise

Prince Christian -

* Crown Prince Haakon
* Crown Princess Mette-Marit
* Crown Princess Victoria
* Crown Prince Pavlos
* Prince Joachim

Princess Estelle -

* Prince of Oranje
* Crown Prince Haakon
* Crown Princess Mary
* Prince Carl Philip

Last edited:
Are they showing the reception. I'm hoping a full video will be available when I get home!

I don't understand the compulsion to choose a bunch of foreign royals... as your child's godparent.

Princess Victoria has said that Prince Haakon and Prince Frederick are like brothers to her. Being a future sovereign is a very unique position to be in. Who better to support Princess Estelle than other people in the same situation.

cant wait to see the official pictures, i'll be thrilled to see a 3 generation photo with King Carl Gustaf, Crown Princess Victoria and little Princess Estelle, as i remenber, there are official christening photos of generation Kings and their heirs. the official royal website has wonderful old pictures.

[B said:
EIIR[/B]]I don't understand the compulsion to choose a bunch of foreign royals... as your child's godparent.
Princess Victoria has said that Prince Haakon and Prince Frederick are like brothers to her. Being a future sovereign is a very unique position to be in. Who better to support Princess Estelle than other people in the same situation.
exactly, besides Prince Frederik is family, after all Queen Margrethe and King Carl Gustaf are first cousins, because her mother and his father were siblings.

I have to say I don't like most of the clothes the women present are wearing!

Mary's looks dowdy, Maxima's is blindingly bright, Madeleine looks like she is wearing a raincoat, Stephanie's is too short for the occasion. They have all looked better.

Mary's looks dowdy

Unfashionable and without style of appearance you think? I think we were looking at different women ;)

Maxima really enjoy's red and for the most part it suits her well. She is quite tall too it would seem.

The Duchess fo Brabant wore an unnatractive hat which didn't flatter her at all I don't think. The colour of her outfit however suited her very well I thought.

I also liked the netting on Madeleine's head piece. It suited her well.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom