Christening of Princess Estelle: May 22, 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here is a link to the propositon on changes in the order of succession, from December 8, 1977: Propositioner och skrivelser - riksdagen.se

In §1 it mentions children of king Carl XVI Gustav and that an elder child will have precedence over a younger child. If the king would have wanted it any other way, the time for him to protest how the order of succession was written was before it went to voting in the Swedish parliament, not after it had been ratified, i.e. after the birth of Carl Philip, then it was too late for any objections.
Theses are only the propositions. Before it could become law it had to be voted on by two "riksdagar". The law went into effect Jan. 1, 1980 without any provision of it being applied retroactively. It was very much protested by the King that the law was then applied retroactively.

The discussion regarding the succession was originally started as I mentioned when Carl Gustaf became King and neither he nor the only successor Prince Bertil were married. The King married eventually and the discussions died down.

The bottom line here is that in fact, everyone knew prior to the birth of Carl Philip that Princess Victoria would become Crown Princess.
Even as early as at the time of her christening, headlines asked whether it was the baptism of a future Crown Princess people were witnessing.
This question mark became an exclamation mark before the arrival of the second child; what you label 'only the propositions' were actually the changes which took a (rather too) long time to get ratified, but their ratification was already guaranteed.
I always considered it to be quite ill-advised that King Carl Gustaf voiced his disapproval at such a late stage, particularly since you are correct that discussions about the change in the order of succession began immediately after he became King in 1973.

Photo gallery
Capital Pictures

Photo Gallery
Scanpix
Scanpix

The commemorative medal of Estelle's christening, by Mynthuset.
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image

https://www.mynthuset.se/46001794/?cat_id=3

In May 2012 an 13-year old oak was delivered to Haga park in honor of the christening of Princess Estelle. Victoria, Daniel and Estelle were all present. The tree was brought from Billbäcks, which is engaged in the cultivation of plants. Victoria helped to plan the oak.
https://www.billbacks.se/wp-content/gallery/haga-slott/ekplantering-003.jpg
https://www.billbacks.se/wp-content/gallery/haga-slott/ekplantering-001.jpg
https://www.billbacks.se/wp-content/gallery/haga-slott/ekplantering-002.jpg
https://www.billbacks.se/wp-content/gallery/haga-slott/ekplantering-004.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the videos, I enjoyed watching them. :flowers:

Little Estelle is such a cutie.

In these days of focus on the royal family of the Netherlands I keep thinking back on Maxima at this christening.

When she walked in the Church along Crown Prince Frederik and Princess Madeleine I think she somehow looked displeased. Maybe she wanted to arrive with her husbond? Did anyone of you get the same impression? And do you have an explanations?

In these days of focus on the royal family of the Netherlands I keep thinking back on Maxima at this christening.

When she walked in the Church along Crown Prince Frederik and Princess Madeleine I think she somehow looked displeased. Maybe she wanted to arrive with her husbond? Did anyone of you get the same impression? And do you have an explanations?
A saw a Princess Maxima that was smiling, chatty, relaxed and perfectly at ease.

Máxima looked happy and excited in my opinion. Why would she rather wanna arrive with her husband? WA was the godfather and arrived with the other godparents, I'm sure Máxima could live with arriving with Frederik and Madeleine for once.

Thank you for your accounts on this. I appreciate getting your views. As I said this day comes into my mind when Maxima turns up - I wondered what it was about. But obviously you didn't get the same impression.

While everything about this christening was beautiful, I didn't like the christening for just 1 reason.

Princess Madeleine seemed so not part of the celebration/ function.

There have been numerous discussions but I still believe she should have been seated further with her family. Doesn't matter if she isn't a godparent or a monarch, she still will play a big role in Princess Estelle's life.

She is after all her niece!!!

I also thought that PC's seat at the christening wasn't good. So many people who weren't even family got a better seat than her.

While everything about this christening was beautiful, I didn't like the christening for just 1 reason.

Princess Madeleine seemed so not part of the celebration/ function.

There have been numerous discussions but I still believe she should have been seated further with her family. Doesn't matter if she isn't a godparent or a monarch, she still will play a big role in Princess Estelle's life.

She is after all her niece!!!

Madeleine was placed according to the protocol and etiquette, she sat at a section where all the royals and the heads of state sat, except Victoria, Daniel, Estelle, the king, the queen and the godparents (Haakon, Willem-Alexander, Mary and Carl Philip). The king and the queen were the hosts at the christening.
At the first row, looked from the altar sat queen Margrethe, prince Henrik, crown prince Frederik, princess Maxima, Dorrit Moussaieff, the wife of the president of Iceland, president of Finland, Sauli Niinistö and his wife Jenni Haukio, crown prince Philippe and crown princess Mathilde.
At the second row sat hereditary grand duke Guillaume, Stéphanie de Lannoy, princess Madeleine, princess Christina, Tord Magnuson, princess Margarethe, princess Birgitta, princess Désirée, princess Märtha Louise and Ari Behn.

Last edited:
I am very glad that we got to see Esteeles christning, i am Looking for the whole ceremony could not found it on youtube

Last edited by a moderator:
I found this article about Estelle's christening gifts:

These are some of the gifts Estelle got:
Sweden's governors: a bowl in Östgöta-blue glass with cut cornflowers, designed by Margareta Hennix and made by Reijmyre glassworks in Östergötland. The choice of christening gift is connected with the fact that Princess Estelle is the Duchess of Östergötland.
Linköping Cathedral, the main church at Estelle's duchy Östergötland: a necklace in silver. The shape, a silver star with a freshwater pearl, is inspired by small silver fittings on a Vadsten work from 1515.
County of Dalarna: a large hand-painted Dala horse with Princess Estelle's name and signed "Från Dalafolket". It was handed over by Governor Maria Norrfalk.
Region Värmland: a star-patterned bed set in 100 percent linen, made by Klässbol's linen weaving.
Borgholm Municipality: A kilometer-long walking and cycling path between Borgholm and Solliden on Öland.
The municipalities, the business community and the county administrative board in Östergötland: A fairytale path for children in the nature reserve by the bird lake Tåkern.
The Government and the Riksdag: A bookshelf filled with 200 children's books. The collection contains index books, picture books, fact books, fairy tales and classics.
The World Wide Fund for Nature and Gustavsberg's porcelain factory: A tableware with hand-drawn endangered animals.
Ockelbo municipality: The book The wedding, the village party, the visit to Ockelbo. The municipality also plants a cherry tree to honor Princess Estelle.
Gotland Sheep Association: A silver-gray plaid skin from a Gotland sheep.
Värmland County: A piece of jewelery and a book by the authors Inger and Lasse Sandberg. It is handed over by Governor Eva Eriksson.
Karlstad municipality: A Spöket Laban-doll and the children's book Majken och Melker.
The municipality of Eslöv: The book Eslöv - the next Eslöv, a story about the municipality in words and pictures.
The municipality of Söderhamn: a monetary gift to Daniel and Victoria's wedding foundation.
The Green Party deposits money to the Red Cross.
School students in Sala municipality: Drawings and poems.
Solna, Princess Estelle's home municipality where Haga Palace is located: A gold-plated necklace.
The municipality of Orust: Ceramic model of the lighthouse at Kråksundsgap, created by the artist Ann Holmdahl.
Dopgåvor i stora lass _ GP

Linköping Cathedral, necklace in silver, a silver star with a freshwater pearl.

Solna municipality, A gold-plated necklace.

Estelle's christening along with the Princely twins in Monaco were the most lavishly celebrated in recent Royal history.

Both events were beautiful and moving.?

I loved Estelle's christening. It was a baptism with a lot of tradition. :flowers:

The Royal Palaces published at their social media on May 22:

Vasa to Bernadotte: The heir to the throne's cradle
#dagensdatum on May 22, 2012, Princess Estelle is baptized in the Palace Church at the Royal Palace. In connection with the christening, the heir to the throne was presented to politicians and representatives of official Sweden. At this ceremony, the parade cradle was used, which had been in use at least since Gustav III's birth.
However, the cradle is older than that, it was made before Karl XI's christening in December 1655 as a gift from his grandparents, Duke Fredrik III and Maria Elisabeth of Holstein-Gottorp. They gifted cradles to all four of their eldest daughters. Three of Queen Hedvig Eleonora's sisters, married to different German princes, thus had almost similar. Nowadays, only Hedvig Eleonora's cradle remains. One has disappeared without a trace and the remaining two were destroyed during World War II. The accounts from the court in Schleswig and old photographs show that the sculptor Nicolaus Heimen was the creator of all four.
At Princess Estelle's christening, the silver baptismal font was also used, which was made by the French silversmith François Cousinet and was completed in 1707. The first person to be baptized in the font was Gustav III in 1746 and thereafter most of the royal children born in Sweden.
The parade cradle and the silver baptismal font can be viewed at the Royal Palace in the exhibition 'Vasa till Bernadotte', which shows 500 years of culture in the service of the realm.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CsjINf2tI06/

Back
Top Bottom