Christening of Princess Estelle: May 22, 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It looks like she's carrying Estelle in the carrier by the way Victoria is counter-balancing the weight. What's funny is that, in her full baptism dress, she's carrying her baby by herself. Isn't there a bodyguard around to help out for a short time?
She's a mother, I would think she prefers carrying her daughter herself than give her over to somebody else if she doesn't have to.

Perhaps we should have a look at how a non-Swedish magazine covered the christening.

Summary of a lot of articles in Billed Bladet #21, 2012.
Written by Marianne Singer, Lisbeth Grube and the Ulrik Ulriksen.

There were 550 guests in the palace church at Stockholm Palace.
It was Arch Bishop Anders Wejryd who performed the christening.

Victoria and Daniel entered the church, carrying Estelle and with the godparents behind to the tones og Jubilate sats #1.
Victoria was positively beaming.
While Victoria stood up and read out the prayer of thanks, Daniel took care of their daughter.
As is costum in Sweden, Crown Prince Haakon stood up and read out the Galatian Letter.
After which the Arch Bishop gave his speech.
Victoria and Daniel became visibly moved while the song Vilar glad i Din famn = rest happy in Thyne arms/bosom and then it was time for the water-show. Carl Phillip poured water from a spring on the island of Öland into the font, after which Victoria handed Estelle to the Arch Bishop, who performed the christening.
At some point Estelle started to whimper a bit that was quickly taken care of with the aide of a royal pacifier. That helped! And Estelle fell asleep.
She did however open her eyes a bit when grandad Carl Gustav, awarded her the Order of Serafim. Yeah okay, cool.
The show took 35 minuttes.

Estelle managed to charm everyone in sight. Grandmother Silvia was in serious risk of splitting her head in two, judging from her smile. Crown Prince Willem Alexander couldn’t resist offering a gucci-gucci-goo. (*)

The christening gown worn by Estelle has been used in the SRF since 1906. It’s made from cotton, with velencienne laces (whatever that is) and a satin underskirt. There is also a cape, where all the names of children who have been christened in this gown is embroidered. The ribbon is according to tradition kept in a neutral white color.

After the actual christening it was time for the reception. Estelle was parked in a cot from 1635.

Representatives for both Victoria and Daniel’s families had of course shown up in force. Among them Patrick Sommerlath, with his wife Maline and their son.
Daniel’s sister, Anna Westling Söderström, brought her new husband and no less than four of their combined children to the ceremony. The oldest, thirteen year old Hedvig, was the one who carried the rings when V&D were married.
King Carl Gustav’s four sisters were also them. One of them, Princess Christina was diagnoced with breast cancer a couple of years ago.

Other guests naturally also get a mentioning. CP Mary got a good deal attention and good reviews wearing her dress, recycled from the wedding in Monaco – and her hat. Her handbag was from Chanel.
Queen Margrethe wore a dress from Celli Freifeldt.

In order to save money, King Carl Gustav decided to reuse the red carpet used at V&D’s wedding. It just needed a couple of modifications….

Two guests however attracted particular attention and they do get a mentioning in BB as well, along with the speculations in Swedish press about upcoming engagements. It is noted in the article that Sofia Hellqvist and Chris O’Neil (whose razor must somehow have malfunctioned) arrived together as any other guests. According to a caption they needed a bit assistance in finding their places. Chris O’Neil said afterwards: ”The christening was utterly fantastic”.
(What follows is a full translation of a note about Sofia and Chris):
Sofia Hellqvist smiled satisfied/pleased while Chris O’neil in his own was showed delight, when they from their seats in row nineteen followed the beautiful ceremony for Princess Estelle.
Sofia and Chris sat together with the closest friends of the CP-couple.
When Princess Madeleine and Prince Carl Phillip passed the row with their sweethearts, the royals send royal and loving looks in the direction of Chris and Sofia. And when Crown Princess Victoria and Prince Daniel with Princess Estelle walked towards the baptismal font, they stopped birefly at row nineteen and all their friends in order to give them a special greeting. Both Victoria and Daniel had tears in their eyes, when they greeted their friends.
After the christening ceremony Chris chivalrously attended to Sofia, but he didn’t keep an eye on her handbag. She forgot that and she had to – after they had left the summer-hot church – walk in again in order to fetch it. Chris did however wait, so that they could accompany eachother.

(*) Babies must be forgiven for thinking all adults around them are mad….

Last edited:
The christening gown worn by Estelle has been used in the SRF since 1906. It’s made from cotton, with velencienne laces (whatever that is) and a satin underskirt.
Valenciennes lace, a bobbin lace made in the north of France: Valenciennes lace - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia One of the most wellknown (and exclusive) laces there are. To make handmade lace takes time, to make 10 cm of lace can take up to 3½ hours, if not more when it's a very fine (thin) lace.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, Meraude

Expressen has told about the lunch, the family meeting at Haga and a dinner at the Royal Palace on Tuesday.
Iltalehti quotes the story:
At the lunch guests were served a three-course meal with french wines. The beautifully set table was decorated with spring flowers.
The king gave a speech (in english), in which he wished her granddaughter happiness for her life. One court representative commented to Expressen that the joy of the king was heard in every word.
The real highlight was when Victoria unexpectedly stood up to speak to her small daughter. Victoria's speech about the future of Estelle moved everyone who were present. Finally, Victoria turned to the godparents of her daughter and told them about the confidence she has on them.
After the lunch, the closest moved to private celebration at the Haga Palace. Victoria, Daniel, and Estelle left to Haga among the last. At Haga Palace the family finally got some rest. There were at least Daniel's parents and sister Anna. However, they left home about half an hour later.
At nine o'clock in the evening Victoria, Daniel and Estelle headed back to the Royal Palace for a late dinner, they had Estelle's nanny with them.
Tired, but happy Victoria and Daniel left home after midnight. Carl Gustaf and Silvia stayed the longest, they left the palace half past one in the morning.
Estellen ristiäisten salaiset jatkot - Lähipiiri juhli pikkutunneille | Kuninkaalliset | Iltalehti.fi

Thank you for this recap...much appreciated! :flowers:

I am a little confused about Victoria speaking to the baby at lunch...Estelle seemed so tired and sleepy at the end of the long ceremony I assumed she had been sent back to the Palace with her nanny for a nap, while the adults proceeded to lunch.

I am surprised to hear that the baby was at the luncheon as well. I bet she was thoroughly tired and ready to sleep through the night at the end of her big day! ;)

I am a little confused about Victoria speaking to the baby at lunch...Estelle seemed so tired and sleepy at the end of the long ceremony I assumed she had been sent back to the Palace with her nanny for a nap, while the adults proceeded to lunch.
Maybe the nanny brought Estelle to the luncheon just for the speeches, there is nothing that says that she was there the whole time.

So what's with the lack of official photos? I've never seen a royal christening not release official photos with the family and godparents especially the christening of the future queen of Sweden.

So what's with the lack of official photos? I've never seen a royal christening not release official photos with the family and godparents especially the christening of the future queen of Sweden.
Very good question.
I don't understand this delay - and I still hope that's what it is - either.
It is already regrettable that by now, it's too late for the print media to include the official portraits in their reports; once again, the Bernadotte PR department should have been smarter.
Posing along the way for news cameras for an improvised group shot is one thing, the actual official group photos are quite another.
I can't imagine that none will be released, especially as the Bernadotte tradition of taking them goes back at least four generations.

FINALLY the official pictures!!!!

my thoughts about it: they are very lovely and well taken, WA and Haakon sure looked very thrilled and happy for the portrait and Mary looked like she had tears of happiness in her eyes.
besides that, i was not expecting of a picture of Estelle and her grandpa the King alone, that was very nice (he sure has a very serene pose and looks like is angry but it was for the portrait so i bet he wanted to be cool).
i also loved the 3 generation photo! very pretty indeed.

I love the two with the King and the succession line of Victoria and Estelle and the one with King Carl Gustav with Estelle. I love the expression on her face in the she looking at Grandpa.

MarNoe said:
I can't believe the expression on the king's face in the one where he's holding Estelle. It's like he is very upset about something - or is that his usual expression.

Looks like his usual camera face to me.

Better late than never!
I like the fact how they took care to pick up on several traditional aspects of previous Bernadotte christening photos here:[FONT=verdana, arial][FONT=verdana, arial]
- they were taken in the same red room in Princess Sibylla's apartment at Stockholm Palace as CP Victoria's christening pics in 1977;
- the 'Three Generations of Bernadottes' photo with a new heir has been taken as long as photography exists - the first one I know of is still with King Oscar II, from 1906;
- and there's even a photo showing King Gustav V. with his newly born great-grandson Prince Carl Gustaf, which is very much like the one of King Carl XVI Gustaf holding Princess Estelle now.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

I love the picture of the King with Estelle. Though he could have smiled at her imho.

Last edited:
Omg, the photos are so beautiful...These are the kind of photos I adore. Love the pic of three generations.

Does anyone know if there are the official photos in big size and high quality ??

Omg, the photos are so beautiful...These are the kind of photos I adore. Love the pic of three generations.

Does anyone know if there are the official photos in big size and high quality ??
Below are links to high resolution pictures. :)
- The Crown Princely Family with the Godparents
- The Crown Princely Family with the Grandparents
- The Crown Princely Family
- The King and Princess Estelle
- Three generations of Monarchs (current and future)

You can also view them on the official website.
Just click on the picture you want to see in high resolution, then (on the right side) on "Hamta bild".

Last edited:
But I bet the first thing Victoria does when her husbnad leaves the bathroom after a shower is to play with his hair - it is always so boring on official occasions, so would love to see more pics of this lovely young family. :flowers:

perfect! simply perfect the official photos!!! the best christening I see in very long time!

I love the pictures. They are beautiful. I think my favorites are grandfather and grandaughter and the three generations. What a lovely family.

Yeah the King looks very resrved in the photo of him and Estelle alone, but I have no idea what people are talking about in the pic with him, Victoria, and Estelle. In that one the King looks quite pleasant.

Back
Top Bottom