Christening of Princess Estelle: May 22, 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Interesting. So they are automatically entitled to it? Or does the king still present them with it somehow?
As with most traditions, they are entitled to it.
And the moment a new monarch is on the throne, the miniature gets changed; in contrast to the British and Norwegian miniatures which are actual orders, you won't see an older Swedish royal lady wear several miniatures of several monarchs at once.

i know christina has her brother as a portrait does the other sister also has thier brother and not father?

i know christina has her brother as a portrait does the other sister also has thier brother and not father?
As you know, their father never became King - and the miniature always shows the current monarch, as I said before.
So The King's sisters of course wear their brother's portrait, not the one of their grandfather.
Does anyone know when the official photos will show up?
I don't understand either why no official group photos have been released so far...

you are right boris, i ment grandfather. i have seen them wearing portrait but actully not how they look close up.
with some search i saw princess margaretha with her brother' s portrait

No one was biting anyones head off.

Though to state it as having seemed 'odd', is imo, an interesting comment to have made; especially in light of your response.

If someone is made aware of how something - a benevolent custom - is practiced (as has been stated above) in another country or region, amongst families and friends, then why are they resolved to remain 'mystified' by it and address it in censorious terms? Especially if they should claim to be so well informed.

Surely a level of understanding, on the behalf of that indavidual, would have arisen as a result of their informed knowledge.

As for the chapel, I could not agree more. It really is a beautiful setting. A tonne of majesty in that space.

Recognising that something happens is entirely different to thinking that it's the best way to go about things. There are plenty of traditions and customs that exist around the world that are considered odd by those who don't partake in them. 'It's just the way we do things' doesn't mean that a practice or tradition is a great idea.

I merely stated that the idea of having 5 godparents, with most of them living hundreds and hundreds of miles away, is something I find a bit strange. Ultimately, it has to be better to have your godparents be people you see often and who live nearby.

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks a million for all those photos and videos.
I couldn´t watch the ceremony live, because it wasn´t possible here in Brasil.
What a wonderful baptism, like a fairy tale. Proud parents, beautiful baby, royalty present.
One of the many reasons, I am a fervent royalist. In this, hasty, confused world of ours, how nice to be able to see tradition and beauty and continuity.
God bless this family.

Can someone tell me if Daniel wore his Order of the Seraphim ? I didn't see it on him and I am wondering ....

^i didnt saw any, but he could've worn it so i wonder why he choose not to!

and no official pictures, strange...

^i didnt saw any, but he could've worn it so i wonder why he choose not to!

and no official pictures, strange...
No, Prince Daniel could not have worn it - the dress code for men was either morning coat or uniform, and orders are never worn with morning coat.

Thank you Boris! I have been wondering since yesterday.

No, Prince Daniel could not have worn it - the dress code for men was either morning coat or uniform, and orders are never worn with morning coat.

Daniel wore the bouton belonging to the Order of the Seraphim, as did also Willem-Alexander and president Sauli Niinistö, and also the others who have the order, I think.
http://www.bekia.es/images/galeria/...iel-sostiene-hija-bautizo-princesa-estela.jpg
http://www.bekia.es/images/galeria/...y-dinamarca-haakon-noruega-bautizo-estela.jpg

Last edited:
I thought that white overcoat thing looked awful, like something an old lady would wear. And I wasn't wild about the hat. Mary has looked so much nicer on other occasions.

So I guess we must agree to disagree. :flowers:

You must add me to the list of those who disagree with you. I thought that Mary of Denmark epitomized chic. Did you have a chance to observe closely the dress that she was wearing underneath the classic coat, which incidentally was made of an interesting, textured fabric? It was in a kind of metallic fabric, yet not flashy or gaudy, but very elegant. The opposite of dowdy. Unusual and very creative, while still classic and beautiful. Her hat was very much in the style of the English court - perhaps not to everyone's taste - but I think that it suited her beautifully.

Likewise, Mathilde of Belgium was very elegant, and Maxima of the Netherlands (as always) impeccable. Madeleine of Sweden also looked very well.... I do agree that Countess Stephanie de Lannoy's dress was too short, but in general I thought that this was an event where the women looked very elegant and appropriate to the occasion.

Last edited:
I don't know if this has been asked, but are there any official photos of the family with the godparents?
ps Sophia looks like the cat who ate the cream...:p

I wish Frederik had worn his uniform. It would have looked much better than the checked yellow waistcoat.

Recognising that something happens is entirely different to thinking that it's the best way to go about things. There are plenty of traditions and customs that exist around the world that are considered odd by those who don't partake in them. 'It's just the way we do things' doesn't mean that a practice or tradition is a great idea.

I merely stated that the idea of having 5 godparents, with most of them living hundreds and hundreds of miles away, is something I find a bit strange. Ultimately, it has to be better to have your godparents be people you see often and who live nearby.
I haven't read the discussion, so I apologize if I'm repeating something that has already been said.
But whether "ultimately, it has to be better to have your godparents be people you see often and who live nearby" is open to interpretation. Maybe it would be better to have godparents who live close by, but then again, Princess Estelle will have a unique position all her life, so maybe it's better for her to have godparents who will be able to understand and relate to that position. There's not a clear right or wrong way of choosing godparents, every person will have different preferences.

Victoria has said that CP Haakon and CP Frederik are like brothers to her, so clearly they have a close relationship. Estelle may have been named after Mary, that indicates a close relationship too and could explain choosing Mary instead of Frederik. She has often been seen laughing and having fun with Willem-Alexander, it's very likely they are close friends too.

All in all, Victoria and Daniel seem to have managed to unite tradition with choosing people who are dear to them and given Estelle godparents who can relate to her situation in life in a way no other godparent will be able to.

I don't see what is so odd/strange about it. These are royals, not average people.
Normally a child has 1 or max. 2 godparents (at least where I live). And it's not always a given they live nearby. Of all my mother's children (4) I am the only one with a godmother who lives nearby. My sister has our aunt who lives in Canada, my other siblings friends in Germany and Tunesia.
Estelle has 5 godparents for heaven's sake. 2 (!) of them are close relatives and live in Sweden, so she probably will see them very often. 2 are heirs to a throne and 1 represents female royalty. And they can probably give Estelle great support regarding her future role even if they don't see her that often. Because they are all sitting in the same boat which is perhaps more important than living nearby.

Chosing godparents that live nearby is not a guarantee that they will continue doing so until the child is grown. And a godparent can also be seen as a rolemodel for the child, and who is a better rolemodel for a future queen than someone who will be monarch or queen consort one day and who knows the difficulties growing up royal. Today it's very easy to keep in touch by internet and phone so I do believe Estelle's godparents will be following her through the years.

Meraude said:
Chosing godparents that live nearby is not a guarantee that they will continue doing so until the child is grown. And a godparent can also be seen as a rolemodel for the child, and who is a better rolemodel for a future queen than someone who will be monarch or queen consort one day and who knows the difficulties growing up royal. Today it's very easy to keep in touch by internet and phone so I do believe Estelle's godparents will be following her through the years.

Exactly. Also, Victoria is very close to her godchildren and their parents are Estelle's foreign royal godparents. They'll probably want to follow her example.

Is there any sort of translation for the ceremony, or a summery in English?

Any official pictures? Or we can wait for tomorrow!?! :)

I had hoped that the official pictures would have been out today, oh well, tomorrow perhaps?

Back
Top Bottom