Christening of Prince Oscar: May 27, 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Madeleine posted this morning these photos of Estelle and Leonore to her Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/PrincessMadeleineOfSweden/posts/759815980822508

I just wonder why she had to publish them before the court has published any official photos. I wish she would have waited until the court has published the official photos of the family with the main person of the day, prince Oscar.

Princess Madeleine commented:
My sister and I are blessed as mothers with two sweet little girls who adore each other!
Photo Anna-Lena Ahlström, The Royal Court

Madeleine posted this morning these photos of Estelle and Leonore to her Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/PrincessMadeleineOfSweden/posts/759815980822508

I just wonder why she had to publish them before the court has published any official photos. I wish she would have waited until the court has published the official photos of the family with the main person of the day, prince Oscar.

Because these aren't official court pictures. Even if a photographer took them. It is a proud Aunty sharing adorable family photos. Yes, it was Oscar's day, but the picture was not about the christening. It was about the bond between the two little cousins. I am sure her and Victoria both love watching the two together. Such a sweet moment.:flowers:

Now if she published pictures of Oscar before the court, would seem odd.

Yes, but Oscar and his family were the main people of the day and publishing any photos we didn't see at the christening before we have seen the official photos feels very odd to me. But it is just my opinion.

The Sommerlaths
Queen's brother Ralf (born 1929) with his wife Charlotte
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image
Ralf's son Thomas with Bettina Aussems
Queen's brother Walther L. (born 1934) with his son Patrick and Patrick's son Leopold (Victoria's godson)
Patrick's wife Maline with their daughters Chloé and Anaïs.

Last edited:
The pictures with Estelle and Leonore were too cute for words.
How much both girls have grown since the first picture of them where Estelle was holding baby Leonore. Estelle is now even big enough to wear beautiful facinator instead of little-girls bows :)

Quite frankly I don't understand why she shouldn't have post these pictures? These were pictures of two little cousins that won't be published by The Court but are too wonderful to stay hidden away! And if Victoria didn't mind her posting them, then why complain? Besides today is Mother's Day in Sweden, isn't it?

BTW: I love to see close bond between sisters and their daughters. It was soo sweet to see how at the christening Victoria was holding Leonore while Madeleine was with Estelle. I also enjoy to see loving relationship Estelle has with her Westling grandparents. Oscar is lucky to have Estelle as his big sister.

Last edited:
Cute photos. I assume Madeleine had permission to post them.

Official photos, by photographer Anna-Lena Ahlström
http://www.kungahuset.se/images/200...na_Lena_Ahlstrom_KungahusetTheRoyalCourt..jpg
http://www.kungahuset.se/images/200...na_Lena_Ahlstrom_KungahusetTheRoyalCourt..jpg

From here
http://www.kungahuset.se/press/pres...ey=category&searchQuery=*&showImagesOnly=true

What a disappointment, why they let Anna-Lena Ahlström took these photos, these are way too much airbrushed... And they should have chosen another place, the white/gold background makes these photos look very cold. Estelle and Oscar are cute. Only Olle Westling brings warmth to the photo he is in. He is such a warm person, that is wonderful.
The photos Bruno Ehrs took in Estelle's christening are thousand times better, the red background gave warmth in them and Ehrs used imagination and not all the photos were the same.
I wouldn't want to look as a parent these photos for the rest of my life, these photos have nothing about the feeling that was at the christening on Friday. Ahlström has managed to take Victoria's whole personality away from the photos, that isn't the true, warm Victoria at the photos at all.

Last edited:
I think these pictures are better than official pictures of Estelle. Yes, they are visible airbrused but these ones are much brighter, love the white and golden backround and blooms in the vase. There's certain loveliness and warmth in these pictures.

My Country Tis A Thee which is a US patriotic song has the same music as God Save The Queen.

Apparently the music for the German anthem was written by Joseph Haydn in 1797 as a anthem for Francis II, Holy Roman Emperor's birthday. The lyrics didn't come until 1841. So the music could have been used for another song. It's didn't become the German anthem until 1922.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
:flowers:Thank you!

I don't think it is the same song, is it?

Indeed the "Deutschland über alles" is a song by Joseph Haydn wiki that might be used for other purposes, but I can't really recognize it in the footage of the baptism?

I think I chose the wrong video, where the music was a bit faster. Thank you for the response though:flowers:

Yes, the Song of Skåne has the same melody than the German National Anthem.
"The piece, which Haydn wrote under the name Emperor Quartet, was performed at the Royal Chapel by Drottningholm Baroque Ensemble.
- It was actually the Song of Skåne before it became the German national anthem, says Mary Ljungqvist Hén, the court organist, who saw the song as a tribute to both the prince and grandmother Silvia, who in a few weeks has been the Swedish queen in 40 years."
Lugn Lillprins döpt - DN.SE
Translation

Videos:
Arrivals and leaving the chapel
En ny prins är döpt!
The children at the christening
Kungliga småttingar på Prins Oscars dop

The music is by Haydn and is also used in the Austrian Imperial Anthem, as seen in the clip below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXzvMF7Dx6g

Thanks to everyone who replied to my question. I was only baffled and feared some plagiarism:lol:

I think the official pictures are okay, but not more than that. Compare them to the pictures of Carl Philip, Sofia and Alexander that we got two weeks ago. They were so much better in color and composition.

I like the pictures, although I prefer the more natural ones of Estelle's chrstening. Glad that the king bothered to be in a picture with the crown princess and her "heirs".

I think the official pictures are okay, but not more than that. Compare them to the pictures of Carl Philip, Sofia and Alexander that we got two weeks ago. They were so much better in color and composition.

These photos should not be compared to those photos at all because they were taken to another purpose. These can be compared to the other christening photos. Bruno Ehrs took Estelle's, Anna-Lena Ahlström Leonore's and these and Mattias Edwall Nicolas's. Ehrs' photos are the best because of their beautiful warm coloired background, more imagination is used and people in them are natural and not too much photoshopped, there is also a relaxed feeling in them. The rest of the photos are very similar but Ahlström ruined these and Leonore's with way too much Photoshop, that is why Edwall's photos are better than Ahlström's.

These photos should not be compared to those photos at all because they were taken to another purpose. These can be compared to the other christening photos. Bruno Ehrs took Estelle's, Anna-Lena Ahlström Leonore's and these and Mattias Edwall Nicolas's. Ehrs' photos are the best because of their beautiful warm coloired background, more imagination is used and people in them are natural and not too much photoshopped, there is also a relaxed feeling in them. The rest of the photos are very similar but Ahlström ruined these and Leonore's with way too much Photoshop, that is why Edwall's photos are better than Ahlström's.

Why shouldn't they? I think that it's pretty clear that the a skilled photographer can take beautiful pictures, no matter what the circumstances are. And I still like the other ones better. These aren't bad, but they could have been better.

:previous: Because these are formal christening photos and are meant to be such. If you look at them in the past, they tend to be a bit stuffy. CP and Sofia's have a very different feeling because they are meant to be more personal family portraits.

I really do hope they release some more photos of the shoot of Oscar's first photograph with his mom. I don't buy there was only one photo taken by the photographer. I would love to see some more intimate photos. We got a whole shoot of Nicolas and now Alexander, but only 2 shots of Oscar, beyond the christening. :sad:

I like the photos in all. Happy there is one with the king, Victoria and both grandchildren. I would have loved though if he was holding Oscar, like he held Estelle. I know Oscar isn't the future heir, but still.Or at least holding or having contact with Estelle, he seems to be photo bombing, he is not really connected to the photo. Still, happy we got one of the 4.

Little surprised not one of the whole family (Chris, Sofia, Michael, the kids).

I fear that this kind of photos are always heavily photoshopped. Honestly I don't see this great difference between the photos from the various christenings. They all look little natural, very severe, rigidly composed. Of course these are official photos but still an effort to give a more warm impression could be done.

They are of course photoshopped, but I like them. The lighting, the colours etc. The ones of Estelle had these ghastly red background, which absorbed everyone. But everyones taste is different.

First piece of art to prince Oscar:
Uppåkra Archaeological Centre in Skåne gives the prince the opportunity to dig up some history, they gave him a shovel as christening present. At their press release the Foundation tells that that they want to give the Prince the opportunity to dig in Uppåkra and thus take part in the historically important process.
And in addition to that they gave him an artwork "Lager på lager" from Marie Louise Kold to symbolise the gift: a visual poem that shows the many layers and the story underneath it all... Archaeology encapsulated in a work of art.
Grattis prinsen – du får en spade! - Sydsvenskan

This artwork isn't the first piece of Marie Louise Kold's art at the Haga Palace.
Danish artist Marie Louise Kold lives and works in Malmö (in Skåne), Victoria and Daniel visited her studio in March 2011 on their official visit to Malmö and Kold gave them a small artwork as a present (which has been seen at the veranda of Haga Palace).
Crown Princess couple visit my Malmö studio ‹ The Art of Marie Louise Kold
And last year Daniel commissioned Estelle's portrait from Kold, Kold brought it to Haga Palace in June.
A commissioned portrait of HRH Princess Estelle ‹ The Art of Marie Louise Kold

Expressen has published a special magazine of the christening, sold until 12th June.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BGBQ9u9RSZM/?taken-by=expressenkungligt

Galleries
Prins Oscars dop _ Kungligt
IBL Bildbyrå

Sports stars at the christening
Two time Olympic champion and former NHL hockey star Peter Forsberg and Nicole Nordin (who gave birth to their 3rd child on 3rd May), olympic champion and former NHL hockey star Mats Sundin with wife Josephine. Oscar's godfather Hans Åström is three time world champion in bandy. And Hedvig Blom's boyfriend Oliver Dackell, who is an ice hockey goalie and his father is olympic champion and former NHL hockey player Andreas Dackell. And football star Zlatan, about whom the archbishop spoke at her speech.
Många idrottsstjärnor på prins Oscars dop _ Svensk Damtidning

http://www.dagen.se/polopoly_fs/1.7...e.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_980/image.jpg
http://www.dagen.se/polopoly_fs/1.7...e.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_980/image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Norwegian royal expert Kjell Arne Totland writes at his blog, that Estelle wore at the christning for the first time a necklace of real pearls, which she got as her christening gift four years ago.
Lille Oscars store dag _ Kongebloggen - Kjell Arne Totland

More christening gifts for Oscar
Föreningen Jöns Henrikssons Minne (Association in memory of Jöns Henriksson) holds guided tours in 17th Century Park in East Sallerup where the famous accolade to the king in stones (Karl XI's stones) is.
- We want as a christening gift invite the whole family and other accompanying them to a guided tour of the park. Furthermore, we want to offer Prince Oscar to become an honorary member of this non-profit association that manages and develops the park, writes Eva Griffin, president of the association, at the christening gift which has been sent to the royal court.
- As Prince Oscar is also the Duke of Skåne, we see it as a natural part of his role to take part of Skåne's history, writes Eva Griffin who thinks that the park deserves far more attention in Skåne, Sweden and Denmark.
Prinsen får guidad visning i dopgåva _ Skånska Dagbladet

About the park
Karl XI_s stenar

Estelle with her grandparents Ewa and Olle Westling
https://www.instagram.com/p/BGCJ8_JRSXZ/?taken-by=expressenkungligt

Last edited:
Love the DM's constant inability to fact check. Hans Astrom and Oscar Magnuson:

Prince Daniel's friend Hans Astrom and Oscar Magnuson who is also a family friend of the royals and King Carl XVI Gustaf

Okay maybe I can believe Hans can be an easy slip but Oscar???? Um how often does the DM report on Princess Christina MAGNUSON???? I am pretty sure Oscar is more than a 'friend'of the king.:bang:

Giant gift for Prince Oscar's christening
Clearly Prince Oscar, Duke of Skåne, shall have a huge spettkaka to his christening. To make it took 12 hours and required 800 eggs, 20 kg of sugar and the same amount of potato flour.
Next week Prince Oscar will be christened. Just in time for that baker Jörgen Vollmer brings the giant cake to the capital.
- It is baked to the christening. But the cake will not be taken to the Palace. It will stand at the NK department store so that people can see it, Vollmer says.
The cake measures approximately two meters and the production took a total of twelve hours.
- Baking took ten hours. We baked it in one piece. But we have the right-sized ovens so it went well.
Vollmer had both his wife and mother to help him. But it is not a record cake.
- It's the biggest I've done. But it is not a world record. The bakery's former owner, my wife's uncle has the world record, he baked a cake that was almost four meters high. It is still at the Guinness Book of Records.
The transportation trip starts on Sunday and includes an overnight stay.
- I have built a special cradle where the cake is set during the car ride. So it will survive.
Vollmer has plenty of experience.
- Yes, I have a little routine. Genuine spettkakor may only be baked in Skåne. So I transport them to other places.
Jättepresenten till prins Oscars dop _ Kvällsposten

And here are photos of Oscar's spettkaka at NK department store:
Små pärlor_ Spettekaka till prinsdopet

Love the DM's constant inability to fact check. Hans Astrom and Oscar Magnuson:

Okay maybe I can believe Hans can be an easy slip but Oscar???? Um how often does the DM report on Princess Christina MAGNUSON???? I am pretty sure Oscar is more than a 'friend'of the king.:bang:
They called Victoria Mary. You have too high expectations of the DM :p

The new photos from the christening are beautiful. I adore the ones of Estelle and Leonore, they are too cute for words. I'm happy that we got to see official photos of them together now. I hope to see photos of all the children together like this in the near future! I think my favourite is the one of the two of them laughing, but the other one is just as charming, too.

Even if they are airbrushed, I still like the official photos from the christening a lot, my favourite being the one with just Victoria, Daniel, Estelle and Oscar. They are such a lovely little family; and probably my favourite CP family.

What a ceremony! Oscar is so unbelievable pretty. These cherry eyes :wub:
And again, I found Leonore to be the secret main attraction. A busy little lady :ROFLMAO: Liked so much how she was fighting not to miss a yot, how she stretched out to see what happened in the height, and how Victoria then took her up to show her the ceremony. My favourite scene of the whole event!

And then Nicolas with his tooth brush :lol:

I agree Leonore was a very cute and a 'busy' little girl.

Did Leonore fall backwards from her chair?
Did the chair tilt over?
Why did she and her mother sit on the opposite side of Nicolas?

Thanks

Last edited:
:previous: Seating: The front row on the right is for the royal family and their royal guests. Chris may have no title, but he seated with his in laws. The front row on the left is for godparents. It seems to have been decided since both Leonor and Nicolas came, to divide and conquer, and she sat with mom.

Did Leonore fall backwards from her chair?
Did the chair tilt over?

I reckon she was climbing on the chair in an attempt to get a better view of the Hovsångerska (Court Singer), Elin Rombo, during one of the hymns and her little chair tilted.

Back
Top Bottom