Christening of Prince Oscar: May 27, 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Aftonbladet had a little different kind of article about Oscar, the archbishop mentioned Zlatan at her speech.
There were Kings at the church - king Sudden (ice hockey star Mats Sundin), king Foppa (ice hockey star Peter Forsberg), His Majesty (king Carl Gustaf) and "Hans Majestät", the king of bandy (His Majesty/Hans Majesty, the godfather Hans Åström).
And Oscar has a father who was a personal trainer - to his mother. And Oscar has a grandfather, who loves sports.
The archbishop spoke about Zlatan. The idea she obviously got from Princess Estelle. It obviously was she who in preparation for baptism in the Royal Chapel mentioned Zlatan's name (the archbishop didn't want to confirm that to the press).
And the Archbishop suddenly saw in front of her, Prince Oscar as 6-8-year-old, on the football field, in too large a shirt with the name of Zlatan Ibrahimovic at the back. In search of the ball.
And Aftonbladet's reporter writes that because Oscar is not the heir to the throne and hardly becomes king, perhaps he becomes a king at the football field.
Kung Zla..., förlåt, prins Oscar, en dag kanske du får bli kung i alla fall – på fotbollsplanen _ Nyheter _ Aftonbladet

Svärföräldrarna kommer bra överens _ Hovbloggen
Gästerna på prins Oscars dop _ Hovbloggen
Morfars kärlek när Oscar fick serafimerorden _ Hovbloggen
Barn och bus under prins Oscars dop _ Hovbloggen
Prins Oscars dop – alla fina ögonblick _ Hovbloggen

Last edited:
When all the other royal children were christened they were carried in on a cushion (or a pillow), why is this not the case with Estelle or Oscar? No cushion/pillow for him or Estelle? It was seen as Nicolas' christening.

When Carl Philip and Madeleine were christened the christening gown had long sleeves but they haven't been seen since 1982.

But nice to see the same cradle used like at Madeleine's, Leonore's and Nicolas' christening. Too bad not a shot of all the little kids around the cradle like at Madeleine's in 1982

I was hoping to see Estelle in Victoria's old dress she wore to Madeleine's christening. It was white a blue, like her cousins wore white and blue today and would have been a hand-down dress. I love that dress of Victoria's it was so pretty.

Last edited by a moderator:
I finally watched the christening. Very charming. Thanks everyone for the photos and information!

I finally watched a recording of the service. It was lovely. The kids had their moments (Estelle "blessing" the holy water, Leonore running around - and I'm glad she was okay when she fell out of the chair - Nicholas with his light up toothbrush). I'm still confused with the protocol. CP, Sofia & Chris did not bow to the altar, like Victoria and Daniel did; no bow or curtsy to Haakon & Mary, who outrank the Prince Couple as the crown prince of Norway and the crown princess of Denmark (no courtesy bow from non royal Chris). Chris bowed his head when CG and Silvia walked pass, nothing from CP & Sofia. During CG's 70th birthday Victoria curtsied to the former king and queen of Spain.

I finally watched a recording of the service. It was lovely. The kids had their moments (Estelle "blessing" the holy water, Leonore running around - and I'm glad she was okay when she fell out of the chair - Nicholas with his light up toothbrush). I'm still confused with the protocol. CP, Sofia & Chris did not bow to the altar, like Victoria and Daniel did; no bow or curtsy to Haakon & Mary, who outrank the Prince Couple as the crown prince of Norway and the crown princess of Denmark (no courtesy bow from non royal Chris). Chris bowed his head when CG and Silvia walked pass, nothing from CP & Sofia. During CG's 70th birthday Victoria curtsied to the former king and queen of Spain.
Princes/princesses only bow/curtsy to kings/queens (if they bow/curtsy at all).
And royals bow/curtsy only when they are greeting kings/queens. Obviously SRF saw each other before the service, so they didn't greet the king and queen inside the church.

I never saw someone curtsy to King Willem Alexander or Queen Maxima of the Netheerlands

Victoria and Daniel bowed to the altar and to the honorary guests at the both sides also at Estelle's christening, like yesterday. Victoria and Daniel bowed to the altar at Nicolas's christening. Daniel arrived to Leonore's christening together with Carl Philip and Eva O'Neill (Victoria was the godmother). Daniel bowed to the altar. Victoria and Daniel want to show their respect to the church by bowing to the altar, they have chosen to do so and it suits them.

Last edited:
Dutch royals doesn't practise bow/curtsy things

Still they are curtseyed by foreign princesses (and indeed by members of their courts) abroad! We could see that when WA and Maxima did their Introduction visits or at Carl Philips wedding.

Last edited:

CP and Madeleine are HRHs like Haakon and Mary, so they are not supposed to bow to them. HRHs only bow to Kings. regnant Queens, Queen consorts, dowager Queens, or former monarchs upon abdication.

I noticed that too and was also struck by how, as he gets older, Nicolas resembles Leonore.

Isn't he turining into a cute little man? From the photos Nicolas looked different from his sis, but seeing him in a video it's quite clear he shares some features with Leo, especially around the eyes...:flowers:

My Country Tis A Thee which is a US patriotic song has the same music as God Save The Queen.

Apparently the music for the German anthem was written by Joseph Haydn in 1797 as a anthem for Francis II, Holy Roman Emperor's birthday. The lyrics didn't come until 1841. So the music could have been used for another song. It's didn't become the German anthem until 1922.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

I have a question about one of the songs performed during the ceremony: One of the last hymns was a song dedicated to the duke of Skane...but... the music was the one of the german nation anthem! Does anyone know why?

I don't think it is the same song, is it?

Indeed the "Deutschland über alles" is a song by Joseph Haydn wiki that might be used for other purposes, but I can't really recognize it in the footage of the baptism?

Watching the video now, Oscar was pretty good with the water, until they held him up after for all to see. He doesn't seem to share his sister's love of the spotlight :lol:

Leonor has definitely inherited her cousin's spirit. She was a handful for Chris and Madeleine at the wedding as a wiggly baby. The toddler doesn't seem to have grown out of the phase :ROFLMAO: I loved Nicolas' glowing toothbrush to distract him.

I've just watched the particular clip of the christening with Nicolas again, and after looking closer this time, I wonder if Nicolas's toothbrush is a toy to soothe his teething. I thought it was a generic toothbrush initially but it does look as if it could be that, too.

I have a question about one of the songs performed during the ceremony: One of the last hymns was a song dedicated to the duke of Skane...but... the music was the one of the german nation anthem! Does anyone know why?

Yes, the Song of Skåne has the same melody than the German National Anthem.
"The piece, which Haydn wrote under the name Emperor Quartet, was performed at the Royal Chapel by Drottningholm Baroque Ensemble.
- It was actually the Song of Skåne before it became the German national anthem, says Mary Ljungqvist Hén, the court organist, who saw the song as a tribute to both the prince and grandmother Silvia, who in a few weeks has been the Swedish queen in 40 years."
Lugn Lillprins döpt - DN.SE
Translation

Videos:
Arrivals and leaving the chapel
En ny prins är döpt!
The children at the christening
Kungliga småttingar på Prins Oscars dop

:previous: Thanks LadyFinn for this info, I stand corrected :flowers:

What a ceremony! Oscar is so unbelievable pretty. These cherry eyes :wub:
And again, I found Leonore to be the secret main attraction. A busy little lady :ROFLMAO: Liked so much how she was fighting not to miss a yot, how she stretched out to see what happened in the height, and how Victoria then took her up to show her the ceremony. My favourite scene of the whole event!

And then Nicolas with his tooth brush :lol:

you can hear the son atabout min 21:52
Prins Oscars dop - Prins Oscars dop | SVT Play

here it's the german anthem:

only the words have changed!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDlo0Ys1VNw

The music is by Haydn and is also used in the Austrian Imperial Anthem, as seen in the clip below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXzvMF7Dx6g

When all the other royal children were christened they were carried in on a cushion (or a pillow), why is this not the case with Estelle or Oscar? No cushion/pillow for him or Estelle? It was seen as Nicolas' christening.

Maybe Victoria and Daniel didn't want it. I doubt a cushion/pillow would be required.

Maybe it's a very dumb remark, but wouldn't it be easier to hold the baby *without* an extra pillow?

Galleries from Dana press
ROYAL: Ankunft der Royals zur Taufe von Oscar
ROYAL: Stimmungsbilder anlass Taufe von Prinz Oscar
ROYAL: Ankunft der engsten Familienmitglieder, Freunde und der Gäste zur Taufe von Prinz Oscar
ROYAL: Die Taufzeremonie in der Schlosskirche
ROYAL: Ankunft Kronprinzessin Victoria, Daniel und Oscar
ROYAL: Die stolze Familie bei der Ankunft in der Schlosskirche
ROYAL: Alle Gäste - enge Freunde und Familienmitglieder
ROYAL: Royals und Gäste verlassen die Schlosskirche von der Taufe Prinz Oscar
ROYAL: Victoria, Daniel und Oscar verlassen die Schlosskirche
ROYAL: Klein Nicolas zahnt - Papa Chris O'Neill brachte die Zahnbürste mit
ROYAL: Rums! Leonore tobte wild und kippte mit dem Stuhl um!
ROYAL: Königsfamilie und Taufpaten zeigen sich auf Slottsbacken nach der Taufe von Prinz Oscar

ROYAL: Da weinte der kleine Prinz - Victoria hat Oscar getröstet
ROYAL: BILDSPEZIAL TITELBILDER - Kronprinzessin Victoria, Oscar & andere
ROYAL: Papa Chris kümmerte sich ganz lieb um seinen Sohn
ROYAL: Gute Freunde - Mary und Haakon unterhielten sich bestens
ROYAL: Das süsse Taufkind - bezaubernder Prinz Oscar
ROYAL: Mette-Marit ganz verzückt vom kleinen Oscar
ROYAL: Estelle müde, dann blühte sie auf wie immer
ROYAL: Gut gemacht, kleiner Prinz - Oscar und seine Familie nach der Taufe
ROYAL: Taufe als Treffpunkt - Omas und Opas unter sich
ROYAL: Die schönsten Bilder zur Taufe von Prinz Oscar
ROYAL: Estelles & Oscars Taufbecken und das besondere Taufwasser

The reception
ROYAL: Das Königspaar lädt zum Empfang auf Schloss Stockholm ein

I finally watched the video today, a lovely christening.

Daniel and Victoria are such a wonderful couple! My favourite part though was seeing Estelle with Ewa Westling. It's clear they have a very close relationship.

Maybe it's a very dumb remark, but wouldn't it be easier to hold the baby *without* an extra pillow?

Absolutely yes! Without a pillow, you have a firmer grip on the baby.

Beautiful christening...I love the photo of Ewa Westling and Estelle hugging. Beautiful!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom