Christening of Prince Oscar: May 27, 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I believe it was just a simple error and that an apology is not necessary.:)

Of course it wasn't an error. There are photos of the royal family used so often at the website of SVT that everyone there surely knows how crown princess Victoria looks like. And SVT has taken the photo from the website of the royal family where it is said who are at the photo. Someone in SVT just made a bad decision to use a photo of CP and Sofia on the website of Oscar's christening.

The City of Malmö told earlier that they don't take part at the christening present of Skåne, the Prince Oscar's playground. They want to do as they did when Princess Estelle was baptized: they will try to find an appropriate way to contribute to the green Malmö instead. It may mean that the new Duke of Skåne, for example, gets one or more trees planted somewhere in Malmö. Princess Estelle got a grove in Hyllie named after her as a christening present.
Malmö nobbar landshövdingens miljongåva till prinsen - Sydsvenskan

Last edited:
:previous: I agree with you and I must say, I absolutely do not understand this kind of fuss over what most likely is an honest mistake.

But that's not a comparable situation? First of all, QMII and Benedikte have been around for a good while longer than Oscar and Alexander who were born less than three months ago ;) Secondly, they didn't call Oscar "Alexander". They accidentally inserted a picture of the royal baby who was born a month after Oscar and yes, I have seen Benedikte identified as QMII before and no, it didn't rile me up (and to use a more comparable example, various Danish papers, magazines and news outlets misidentify the Danish royal children all the time and while it annoys me, a seasoned royal watcher, as much as when the Daily Fail leaves out the crown in "Crown Princess Mary", it doesn't even come close to offend me).

The mere idea of SVT issuing an apology for something that most likely will be fixed tomorrow on a site especially for the broadcast of the christening that the vast majority of Swedes probably don't know exist yet is, pardon my French, absolutely ridiculous. I'm totally following that it's a sloppy mistake, I think so too, but issuing an apology over a stupid picture would be making mountains out of molehills and completely unnecessary. Besides, SVT is neither a magazine nor a paper, it's a television broadcaster.

I get it. We are looking at 2 different photos. I apologize:ohmy: The photo I am looking at is of Carl Philip and his wife holding a baby. You are obviously looking at a picture of simply Alexander. Yes, by all means, even a seasoned reporter could mix up two newborn babies. But somehow I didn't see how a reporter could mistake a 39 year old Victoria and a 37 year old CP. Certainly they haven't been around as long as Margrethe, but surely 30 plus years is long enough in the spotlight. At the very least to know if its a man, its Carl Philip, and if a woman, Victoria. Silly me.

Now the comparison that doesn't fit is the Daily fail. DM is a British newspaper. They are not a Danish newspaper. It isn't their business to report on the Danish royals. SVT on the other hand is a Swedish news agency. They should know their own royal family.

Newspapers and news agencies print apologies all the time. Even People magazine does what they screw up, and they are a glorified tabloid. Its called responsible journalism.

:previous: Nope, the same picture – and I'm still not riled up ;) The site for Oscar's christening is not supposed to be done yet because there's nothing to put on it. As I said, SVT is the national broadcaster and it won't be taken into use until there's a christening to show. But I am curious to know what motive you think SVT has for deliberately posting the wrong picture? (Because that is what you're implying).

I'm not sure whether you didn't bother to read what I wrote or whether you're just actively trying to derail what I'm attempting to get through to you. The comparable example was that it's not uncommon for Danish papers and magazines to misidentify the Danish royal children. So yes, the comparison does fit. But to in reply to your comment, I can enlighten you with the fact that our versions of the Daily Fail, Her & Nu and Se & Hør only print apologies when they are forced to do so by the court and I might be taking words of the SRF's mouths but I do think they have other priorities at the moment than demanding an apology for this insignificant "problem" ;)

"When they screw up". They accidentally posted a picture of Oscar's cousin instead of one of Oscar himself – I can think of bigger screw-ups to get angry over but maybe that's just me. I'm sorry but I genuinely think this is such a completely, absolutely, out of this world-ridiculous thing to rile yourself up over. And I also somehow doubt people would rile themselves up over it if it was the other way around with SVT accidentally posting a picture of Oscar (with Victoria ;)) instead of one of Alexander.

Of course it wasn't an error. There are photos of the royal family used so often at the website of SVT that everyone there surely knows how crown princess Victoria looks like. And SVT has taken the photo from the website of the royal family where it is said who are at the photo. Someone in SVT just made a bad decision to use a photo of CP and Sofia on the website of Oscar's christening.

Again, what motive should SVT have for deliberately posting the wrong picture?

Quite a silly mistake by SVT (particularly because it's still on their website), but where is the PR department of the SRF and why haven't they called SVT and alerted them on the mistake?
There are obviously bigger things to worry about in the world, but for the PR people this should be "core business"

Or don't they work on weekends ;)

I went back to SVT.se web site. The picture is still up there, and it's past 12 hours. Plenty of time for SVT staff to discover the error and correct it; and news organizations function 24 hours a day. There are other pictures of Oscar (solo) and with Victoria & Oscar, or SVT could have advertised the event without a picture.

@Lee-Z - yes the SRF P.R. team should be calling the station, but that crew has screwed up so many times the royal family needs to clean house and hire new staff.

Last edited:
Either the PR people have a weekend off, or they don't consider it a big deal; as Archduchess Zelia said, these mix-up's happen quite often, also in the dutch media this happens on occasion with the dutch royals
(it usually doesn't get corrected btw...i think the royals mostly aren't bothered with it)

:previous: Nope, the same picture – and I'm still not riled up ;) The site for Oscar's christening is not supposed to be done yet because there's nothing to put on it. As I said, SVT is the national broadcaster and it won't be taken into use until there's a christening to show. But I am curious to know what motive you think SVT has for deliberately posting the wrong picture? (Because that is what you're implying).

I'm not sure whether you didn't bother to read what I wrote or whether you're just actively trying to derail what I'm attempting to get through to you. The comparable example was that it's not uncommon for Danish papers and magazines to misidentify the Danish royal children. So yes, the comparison does fit. But to in reply to your comment, I can enlighten you with the fact that our versions of the Daily Fail, Her & Nu and Se & Hør only print apologies when they are forced to do so by the court and I might be taking words of the SRF's mouths but I do think they have other priorities at the moment than demanding an apology for this insignificant "problem" ;)

"When they screw up". They accidentally posted a picture of Oscar's cousin instead of one of Oscar himself – I can think of bigger screw-ups to get angry over but maybe that's just me. I'm sorry but I genuinely think this is such a completely, absolutely, out of this world-ridiculous thing to rile yourself up over. And I also somehow doubt people would rile themselves up over it if it was the other way around with SVT accidentally posting a picture of Oscar (with Victoria ;)) instead of one of Alexander.

Again, what motive should SVT have for deliberately posting the wrong picture?

No, I read your post. I just disagree. If it were a picture of just the baby, I'd agree. Mistaking one newborn for another is simple. But mistaking Carl Philip for his sister :eek: Pretty damn sure its easy to guess if Sofia and CP are holding the baby is Alex, if Victoria and Daniel are, its Oscar.

But we will just have to agree to disagree that journalists should actually be held to standards. So have a good day.:flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
:previous: Oh, you need not worry, I can handle a simple disagreement :flowers: I'm actually not entirely sure what led you to believe that I couldn't, I'm merely trying to understand what prompts this kind of outrage over an awkward but relatively simple error (and if you refuse to take my word for it that it is indeed a common error that happens relatively often (and is neither a personal vendetta against Oscar nor a mean to peddle Alexander as some trueborn heir ;)), I do believe Lee-Z agreed with me on that).

You still didn't explain why you think they did it deliberately? SVT is, I believe, the largest national television broadcaster in Sweden – I just have a hard time understanding what exactly would be their motive for intentionally inserting the wrong picture?

Where exactly did I say that "tabloid standards are good enough" for me? And how is this situation, a relatively harmless error (until proven otherwise ;)), comparable to "tabloid standards"? Please do enlighten me.

Last edited:
And now it has been established that we all can handle simple disagreements, let's move on from that conclusion and focus on the topic at hand.

Now SVT has changed the photo:
Prins Oscars dop _ SVT.se

In the summary broadcast in the evening SVT will show part of the reception by the cradle.
TV-tablå | SVT.se

SVT play has already the link to the broadcast from the christening
Prins Oscars dop _ SVT Play

Allocation of seats for photo and media positions at the christening of Prince Oscar
Allocation of seats for photo and media positions at the christening of Prince Oscar - Sveriges Kungahus

TT News Agency official photo agency at the christening of Prince Oscar - Sveriges Kungahus

The City of Helsingborg gives a fairytale forest as a christening present to prince Oscar
Peter Danielsson, Mayor of Helsingborg, tells:
- We follow the tradition in Helsingborg with larger festivities linked to the royal family. Then we give a symbolic gift in connection Sofiero Castle. We think it's a good idea to strengthen the link between the royal family and Sofiero Castle. It is also good for the tourism industry and for the benefit of Helsingborg.
And now it is clear that Helsingborg will dedicate prince Oscar a fairytale forest at Sofiero next year.
- A further development of the Children's Sofiero. It will be small, cozy fairytale corners in various locations inside the book forest, where one can listen to stories or read them herself, says Annika Malmgren, operations manager at Sofiero.
Governor Margareta Pålsson got early idea of ​​a common Skåne present: to build a Nature Playground in Söderåsen National Park. But only 12 of 33 municipalities have given grants.
- It is surprising and disappointing that in Skåne municipalities set up in as little as they do, Pålsson says.
She had glanced at Östergötland. When Princess Estelle was appointed to the Duchess in the province Östergötland municipalities put up and contributed to a fairytale trail at the nature center Takern.
- No municipality questioned it, says Pålsson.
In Skåne, it was tougher. Maybe the idea wasn't so good?
- So you could say when you have the benefit of hindsight. But one can also say that it made many companies think it was crazy and helped themselves instead.
In a short time companies and private individuals gave lots of money. So far, the governor got together a total of SEK 900 000 to a playground.
Margareta Pålsson has faced criticism since she brought the idea.
- That the prince is among the children who have enough. But most people understand that this is just a symbolic gift. It is Skåne children who will be in the national park and play. And it is nice if Prince Oscar comes to the opening ceremony and also visits the playground later.
Helsingborg firar prins Oscar på eget sätt - HD
Translation

About the Fairytale Forest at Sofiero Castle:
The first part of Children’s Sofiero was opened in 2011; a play-area, which was built by the city of Helsingborg in honour of Princess Victoria and Prince Daniel’s wedding in 2010. The play-area features Princess Ingrid’s and the Princes’ original playhouses. Surrounding the playhouses are planter boxes and a greenhouse where children can learn about plants and gardening. The playhouses are even equipped with dress-up clothes. In 2012, the second part of the play-area was completed and features a magical forest including a dragon fort.
And from the history: 1864 Prince Oscar and his wife Sophie purchased the Skabelycke estate, just north of Helsingborg, so they could build their summer castle, ‘Sophie-Ro.’

Expressen writes that princess Christina told recently when she was interviewed about her book, that she is probably the only one of the Haga princesses who will attend at the christening.
- I don't think my sisters come home again, they live so far away.
The court would not comment on the guests.
- The list of the guests is something that will be published in connection with the christening, Margareta Thorgren said.
Will the Haga Princesses come?
- The court has no information about that.
Hagaprinsessornas skäl till att nobba när prins Oscar döps _ Kungligt _ Expressen

All Haga Princesses attended at Estelle's christening.

Morgan Persson, florist in Fridhemsberg, is one of the florists who decorate the Royal Chapel to prince Oscar's christening. He was helping at the decorations to Carl Philip's wedding and has had contact with the court florist, he had said that he would like to come again to help. He was asked to the king's 70th birthday, but it was too short notice for him. Now he was asked in good time and thanked obviously yes. He sees it as a further education and an opportunity to learn from talented people. It is important to him and he sees it as an honor to be asked. Moreover, it is an opportunity for him to catch up on new trends. He knows that they will decorate the Chapel and perhaps the Palace. He will not attend at the christening but hopes to meet members of the royal family. Before the prince wedding, everyone in the family were very involved and interested in all the preparations.
Falkenbergsflorist ska dekorera inför prinsdop
Translation

@Lady Finn - Thanks for the news. I'm glad they chose the picture with Victoria and Oscar. But it took almost two days to correct it. Either the palace called the station and/or some in the public called to complain. Anyway, I'm glad it's fixed.

I love the pic with Vic and Oscar. I hope they release more photos this week. I doubt they had a photographer take only one photo (the one of the kids was taken by Daniel). I really want to see Daniel with his son :flowers:

Excited for the christening and to see godparents.

Andrea Brodin's sneak peek of her christening outfit at her blog
Dopförberedelser* - Metro Mode

Also in Finland many are excited about the christening. Confectioner Harri Mäkelä at Bakery Keisari (Emperor) has made a pastry for Oscar. The Prince Oscar pastry is sold only on 26-27th May in the bakery's ten shops in the capital area. The pastry has thin chocolate base, white chocolate mousse with blueberries inside and to crown it all - a gold crown.
Prins Oscar fick egen bakelse i Finland

Victoria's former piano teacher Ingemar Thorell has previously composed a wedding march to Crown princess Victoria and prince Daniel and a lullaby to princess Estelle. He told in March that he is going to compose a christening song to prince Oscar.

Now Thorell's christening song is ready and "Med vatten och ord" was performed for the first time yesterday at Sveriges Radio P4 Väst. Daniel Hemberg has written the text, Sofia Geidvik sings and Lars Mattsson plays the guitar.
Listen to the song here
Premiär_ Så låter prins Oscars dopvisa - P4 Väst _ Sveriges Radio

Prince Oscar's Coat of Arms and monogram
Prins Oscars*vapensköld och monogram - Sveriges Kungahus
Translation

The guest list. Leonore and Nicolas are on the list, and princesses Margaretha and Christina of the king's sisters. The friends of Victoria and Daniel aren't listed.
Gästlista till Prins Oscars dop - Sveriges Kungahus

No, I read your post. I just disagree. If it were a picture of just the baby, I'd agree. Mistaking one newborn for another is simple. But mistaking Carl Philip for his sister :eek: Pretty damn sure its easy to guess if Sofia and CP are holding the baby is Alex, if Victoria and Daniel are, its Oscar.

But we will just have to agree to disagree that journalists should actually be held to standards. So have a good day.:flowers:

Why are they called Vic or Dan and now also Alex?
Not sure at all that those are official nicknames

People use nicknames for royals all the time. I don't understand why it causes hysterics on this board. Is there some confusion over who Alex refers to :bang: Its not like I am calling them some of the derogatory terms you get on other boards. If you are bothered by Alex, hopefully you never venture to royaldish. You will really be upset.

Last I looked there was not a rule about having to use officially sanctioned nicknames. By all means if that changes, I will add the last few letters :flowers:

Well, the Norwegian Court finally corrected their calendar. :ROFLMAO:
CP Mette-Marit and CP Haakon are attending the christening. Only King Harald is attending the council meeting on Friday.

One more day. Excited to hear godparents, and see pics of Oscar with both his parents at the christening :flowers:

People use nicknames for royals all the time. I don't understand why it causes hysterics on this board. Is there some confusion over who Alex refers to :bang: Its not like I am calling them some of the derogatory terms you get on other boards. If you are bothered by Alex, hopefully you never venture to royaldish. You will really be upset.

Last I looked there was not a rule about having to use officially sanctioned nicknames. By all means if that changes, I will add the last few letters :flowers:

No I am not upset about calling people by their nicknames, if they really have one
I wonder about using a nickname for people you don't know personally.
I tend to ask the nickname users: How was breakfast with Vic and Dan?
As if you know them personally.
Royal Dish is rather funny, but I don't take them too serious:flowers:

:previous: I guess it is just me you have issues with :bang:

If you don't have an issue with nicknames, calling someone out for it, seems juvenile at best.

No I don't have issues with you.

I don't have issues with friends of royalty using royalty nicknames
I wonder about people using nicknames without knowing royalty personally

I am not shocked about Royal Dish because I don't take them serious
Anyway your post is taken serious.

Last edited:
Do we know who Hans Åström is?

Do we know who Hans Åström is?

Like I wrote already to the godparents-thread, Hans Åström is Daniel's cousin.
Hans Åström is a famous former swedish bandy player. Three gold medals at World Championships, two national championships, Man of the Year in the Swedish bandy 1998, Swedish top scorer in 1997 and top scorer in World Championships 1999. Bollnäs fans called Åström His Majesty.
Hans Åström
http://w.cdn-expressen.se/images/30/da/30da503f60eb411c9f801b7d9fb9ba42/16x9/1560@80.jpg
http://images.mmcloud.se/api/v1/ima...19ad/980.jpg?905c07c71ae1b128b1d666aee01fc029

Daniel meeting the swedish National Team of Bandy U23-World Championships in 2013, Hans Åström stands beside him.
http://iof1.idrottonline.se/ImageVaultFiles/id_99810/cf_963/Inf-r_VM_01.jpg

The Bandy King becomes Godfather to the Prince
Bandykung blir prinsfadder _ SVT Nyheter

Last edited:

As as swede, it's a bit confusing when people use nicknames here that aren't used anywhere else. I'm not saying that it's not allowed, just that it's confusing.

The most common nicknames in Sweden for other people who are called Victoria and Daniel would be Vickan/Vicky and Danne. Alexander would be Alex, so that one isn't as strange. I've never seen or heard anyone in Sweden call them Vic and/or Dan.

Last edited:
Like I wrote already to the godparents-thread, Hans Åström is Daniel's cousin.
Hans Åström is a famous former swedish bandy player. Three gold medals at World Championships, two national championships, Man of the Year in the Swedish bandy 1998, Swedish top scorer in 1997 and top scorer in World Championships 1999. Bollnäs fans called Åström His Majesty.
Hans Åström
http://w.cdn-expressen.se/images/30/da/30da503f60eb411c9f801b7d9fb9ba42/16x9/1560@80.jpg
http://images.mmcloud.se/api/v1/ima...19ad/980.jpg?905c07c71ae1b128b1d666aee01fc029

Daniel meeting the swedish National Team of Bandy U23-World Championships in 2013, Hans Åström stands beside him.
http://iof1.idrottonline.se/ImageVaultFiles/id_99810/cf_963/Inf-r_VM_01.jpg

The Bandy King becomes Godfather to the Prince
Bandykung blir prinsfadder _ SVT Nyheter

Thanks for the info! Hans Åström was perhaps the least expected name of the bunch. I didn't know that he and prince Daniel were friends, but there you go :)

For non swedish speaking people, I can add that they are playing with words here. "Hans majestät" equals "His majesty". But the word "hans" is also a swedish, quite common, name. So Hans Åström being called Hans Majestät is even more fun in swedish.

Thanks for the info! Hans Åström was perhaps the least expected name of the bunch. I didn't know that he and prince Daniel were friends, but there you go :)

It's obvious that Hans and Daniel and Victoria are very close. Hela Hälsingland newspaper interviewed Daniel's relatives when Oscar was born:
- It's great for them and the main thing is that it went well. I'm delighted with them in every way, says Hans Åström
Have you talked with Prince Daniel after birth?
- I have no such comments. I keep our relationship to myself.
Yes, I understand that you are tight.
- We're cousins and we are pretty tight all the cousins in the family.
Then it's no use to ask how you heard the news?
- No, says Åström, laughing.
At the press conference at Karolinska Hospital, Prince Daniel took the points with his spontaneous and emotional way of representing the birth.
- He is skilled and performs well, Åström says.
Asked if Åström, who is himself a father of two, can give Prince Daniel some valuable tips he answers:
- No, he can handle it well himself.
Bandystjärnan om nyfödde prinsen_ _Gläds med dem på alla sätt_

Back
Top Bottom