Christening of Prince Oscar: May 27, 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oscar will be christened five days after Estelle was christened (May 22, 2012), same location too. I guess this ends speculations that there will be a shared christening with Oscar and CP & Sofia's child. Now the question is how grand with this christening be? Will Oscar get the same cradle as Leonore and Nicolas? (I know he won't has the same as Estelle.) And will there be a royal godparent outside the family? (Betting on Madeleine to be the family royal godparent.)

Those speculations about a shared christening were never serious.

Why is it so important to have a child christened with grandeur?
Maybe that it was important centuries ago

I kind pf expected the christening to be in June, but I think that a late May date makes much more sense. Now, if only all christenings were on weekends instead of working/engaging days, I would be more happy!:lol:

A Friday - such a pity. Working day for me. No chance to follow the event live :-(

I can't wait.... and Sofia will have had her child then !

I'm looking forward to the christening! I love Swedish royal christenings (one of my favourite aspects of them is the little Seraphim Order given to the royal babies).
But add me to the list of those who are disappointed that they are unable to watch it live... and what's more annoying for me is that it's the Friday before I have a week's break. I hope that someone will upload the full service to YouTube.

I'm looking forward to the christening! I love Swedish royal christenings (one of my favourite aspects of them is the little Seraphim Order given to the royal babies).
But add me to the list of those who are disappointed that they are unable to watch it live... and what's more annoying for me is that it's the Friday before I have a week's break. I hope that someone will upload the full service to YouTube.

I'm sure it will be.

Someone over at Twitter mentioned Mother's Day in Sweden is that Sunday. Is that right, because if so, that might be the answer to why that Friday.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

I'm sure it will be.

Someone over at Twitter mentioned Mother's Day in Sweden is that Sunday. Is that right, because if so, that might be the answer to why that Friday.

Victoria and Daniel are just following an old tradition:
King Carl Gustaf was baptized on Friday, Victoria on Tuesday, Carl Philip on Friday, Madeleine on Tuesday and Estelle on Tuesday. And now Oscar on Friday.

The program on Estelle's christening was:
12.00-13.00 The christening
About 13.15-14.30 Reception
And after the reception a private lunch.

So there isn't normally other work events on that day.

Last edited:
So Victoria & Daniel are going by tradition. But Oscar's christening will be on a smaller scale as third in line.

Victoria and Daniel are just following an old tradition:
King Carl Gustaf was baptized on Friday, Victoria on Tuesday, Carl Philip on Friday, Madeleine on Tuesday and Estelle on Tuesday. And now Oscar on Friday.

The program on Estelle's christening was:
12.00-13.00 The christening
About 13.15-14.30 Reception
And after the reception a private lunch.

So there isn't normally other work events on that day.

They broke pattern with Estelle, she should have been Friday (as she was the first after Maddie who was also a Tuesday) :) But pattern back on track:flowers:

:previous: They didn't break it if they're following a pattern wherein the girls are christened on Tuesdays and the boys on Fridays. And what with Oscar's christening being on a Friday (like CG and CP) instead of a Tuesday (like Victoria, Madeleine and Estelle), that looks to be the case.

IIRC Madeleine broke with this tradition by having both Leonore and Nicolas' christenings on Sundays (but I suppose that could be because they aren't children of the heir – it's gonna be interesting to see on which day CP and Sofia's child will be christened).

Last edited:
Kristianstadsbladet newspaper has found out the christening present, which Skåne gives to it's duke, prince Oscar:

Governor Margareta Pålsson wrote to the 33 municipalities in Skåne, the Skåne Region and the Chamber of Commerce in Southern Sweden and asked them to be involved and answer by May if they want to take part in the present.
"We are expected to deliver a gift from Skåne associated in the christening and I want us to do something really good. My idea is to create something which lasts and promotes good health among children and young people, which I know that Crown Princess Couple thinks is important", the governor wrote.

What will it be?
Well, a nature playground open to children of all ages, created to the National Park Söderåsen.
It can be named as "Prince Oscar's Playground" and the governor suggests that the inspiration is taken from Skrylle naturlek, between Dalby and Södra Sandby. Everything will be built of natural materials, and the cost of one million SEK is proposed allocated between the parties.
Since the park will not be ready for the christening, a picture is proposed to be handed over, with the description of what should be built and the list of those involved. The governor also calls on all municipalities and the region to keep the plans secret so that it will be a surprise. So you who read this, promise not to reveal it to Prince Oscar before the christening.
Doppresenten till hertigen av Skåne blir beständig - Kristianstadsbladet

So, Estelle got Princess Estelle's Fairytale Path as a christening present, and if this is true, Oscar gets a playground. It is great that they give something which all children can use.

Last edited:
Kristianstadsbladet newspaper has found out the christening present, which Skåne gives to it's duke, prince Oscar:

Governor Margareta Pålsson wrote to the 33 municipalities in Skåne, the Skåne Region and the Chamber of Commerce in Southern Sweden and asked them to be involved and answer by May if they want to take part in the present.
"We are expected to deliver a gift from Skåne associated in the christening and I want us to do something really good. My idea is to create something which lasts and promotes good health among children and young people, which I know that Crown Princess Couple thinks is important", the governor wrote.

What will it be?
Well, a nature playground open to children of all ages, created to the National Park Söderåsen.
It can be named as "Prince Oscar's Playground" and the governor suggests that the inspiration is taken from Skrylle naturlek, between Dalby and Södra Sandby. Everything will be built of natural materials, and the cost of one million SEK is proposed allocated between the parties.
Since the park will not be ready for the christening, a picture is proposed to be handed over, with the description of what should be built and the list of those involved. The governor also calls on all municipalities and the region to keep the plans secret so that it will be a surprise. So you who read this, promise not to reveal it to Prince Oscar before the christening.
Doppresenten till hertigen av Skåne blir beständig - Kristianstadsbladet

So, Estelle got Princess Estelle's Fairytale Path as a christening present, and if this is true, Oscar gets a playground. It is great that they give something which all children can use.

A perfect present. The idea reminds me of the King George playing fields that were created in memory of King George V. More outside parks, playgrounds and woodlands should be created to mark Royal events.

Wonderful idea :flowers: What do you give to a child who has or can have everything??? Something that all the children in the country can enjoy:) I really like the thought that was put both into Estelle and now Oscar's gifts.

Aftonbladet has an article about Oscar's christening presents.

Governor Margareta Pålsson tells about Skåne's present, the "Prince Oscar's Nature Playground":
- The tenth May is the last day to respond. After that I must do a calculation to see if we have received enough money to start the project.
What if the money is not coming in?
- Then we close down the project and buy something traditional, but I don't think it will be so. It seems that there is a great commitment and I haven't received negative response from any of the municipalities, Pålsson said.
The county of Dalarna will give the prince a Dala Horse with text "Oscar", which means that both of the Crown Princess couple's children will have a personal Dala Horse. Big Sister Estelle also got one when she was baptized.
World Wildlife Fund WWF, is pleased that the world's tigers are increasing in number and have therefore decided to give Prince Oscar a tiger - a stuffed cuddly toy tiger.
The Republican Association thinks that the siblings need respective copies of the book "All children's rights: a picture book of the Convention of the Rights of the Child" by Pernilla Stalfelt.
- We hope that Victoria and Daniel read the book to their children and come to understand the absurdity of the monarchy and how bad it rhymes with children's rights. Overall, a good book to give to all children, says Yasmine Larsson, Chairman of the Republican Association.
Swedish Church in Lund has also decided to give a book to Prince Oscar, a prayer book.
- I know that our bishop has sent a special greeting because Prince Oscar is the Duke of Skåne. We will send a prayer book as a christening present - a small prayer book to a little prince, says Kerstin Hesslefors Persson, dean of Lund.
The Federation of Swedish Farmers will give the Prince a tree.
- The christening present of Prince Oscar is still in the planning stage but Estelle got an apple tree when she was baptized so some kind of fruit tree it will be, says press secretary Johanna Eén.
Both Princess Estelle and Princess Leonore got a walkway from Borgholm municipality as a christening present but their younger siblings are left without.
- It's only the first-born children who will each receive a walkway, so far, Princesses Estelle and Leonore, says Borgholm city architect Leonard Eriksson.
Fruktträd, gosedjur, böcker, dalahäst och naturpark - Här är prins Oscars doppresenter _ Nyheter _ Aftonbladet

Last edited:
The Republican Association objects prince Oscar's christening present from Skåne, the "Prince Oscar's Nature Playground", they have published articles that the taxpayers' money shouldn't be used to that and bash monarchy.

Governor of Skåne, Margareta Pålsson, whose initiative the playground is, writes at her blog:
Unfortunately, the Republican Association got it all wrong. They choose to misinterpret the word present. This is a symbolic present - a playground built in and by nature - that will be valuable for every family with children visiting the splendid Söderåsen National Park. It is a playground for all small and big children, it is of course not reserved for princes and princesses only.
Here we go together - the authorities, municipalities and companies. Together we will make a relatively small investment (approximately SEK 1 million), which makes the National Park more exciting for visitors. We name it as the Prince Oscar's Nature Playground, a "royal" natural playground is positive for the tourism industry, not least when it comes to foreign visitors. It is a sound and smart joint Skåne marketing initiative that gives us a lot back when it comes to recreation, nature and tourism. It is a concern of every municipality in Skåne, as well as for Skåne as a whole.
In my opinion, it is well used tax revenues. It is definitely better than spending money on a personal gift to Prince Oscar which he might not need or use.
All municipalities and companies that contribute, get a plaque at the playground. I hope they will be many!
landshövdingen.se _ En symbolisk gåva med flera mervärden

Last edited:
The Republican Association objects prince Oscar's christening present from Skåne, the "Prince Oscar's Nature Playground", they have published articles that the taxpayers' money shouldn't be used to that and bash monarchy.

Governor of Skåne, Margareta Pålsson, whose initiative the playground is, writes at her blog:
Unfortunately, the Republican Association got it all wrong. They choose to misinterpret the word present. This is a symbolic present - a playground built in and by nature - that will be valuable for every family with children visiting the splendid Söderåsen National Park. It is a playground for all small and big children, it is of course not reserved for princes and princesses only.
Here we go together - the authorities, municipalities and companies. Together we will make a relatively small investment (approximately SEK 1 million), which makes the National Park more exciting for visitors. We name it as the Prince Oscar's Nature Playground, a "royal" natural playground is positive for the tourism industry, not least when it comes to foreign visitors. It is a sound and smart joint Skåne marketing initiative that gives us a lot back when it comes to recreation, nature and tourism. It is a concern of every municipality in Skåne, as well as for Skåne as a whole.
In my opinion, it is well used tax revenues. It is definitely better than spending money on a personal gift to Prince Oscar which he might not need or use.
All municipalities and companies that contribute, get a plaque at the playground. I hope they will be many!
landshövdingen.se _ En symbolisk gåva med flera mervärden

Please tell me they didn't try to pull such a silly and stupid stunt as to say since the Playground is only for Royals and in turn...?

Really? Yes, w/out a doubt they got this one wrong. Good Grief!!!

This christening will most likely be very similar to the christening of Princess Estelle. Maybe not as many foreign royal guests (except the godparents) but more friends and family.

Alexanders christening will likely be more similar to the christening of Leonore and Nicolas. A lot of speculation going on here in Sweden right now that A will be christened at Öland in July or in the beginning of August. Time will tell. But that's speculations for another thread.

Expressen has now got prime minister Stefan Löfven's invitation to the christening. Löfven and his wife are also invited to the reception and to the private lunch after that.
At 13:00 the Crown Princess couple with the royal couple have a reception at the Palace. There is served champagne and dainty sandwiches. It is a tradition and the person who is invited to the church is not automatically also invited to the reception.
The finest is to additionally receive an invitation to the royal couple's private lunch to celebrate the new little prince and his baptism. Prime Minister Stefan Löfven's invitation shows that the private lunch starts at 14.30.
There are just the closest friends, relatives, and in this case, the Prime Minister invited. This is where the king usually helds a small speech to the child.
Prins Oscar döps 27 ma – här är dopinbjudan _ Nyheter _ Expressen
Translation

According to the TV programme schedule of SVT, prince Oscar's christening will be broadcasted live on SVT1 at 11.30-13.00. And summary will be send in the evening at 20.00-21.00.
TV-tablå _ SVT.se

Media accreditation for Prince Oscar's christening
As of today, Tuesday May 9, Swedish and international media can apply for access to the photo and media positions in connection to Prince Oscar's christening in the Royal Chapel on May 27. The photo and media position will have limited number of positions.
Program at Prince Oscar's christening
11.00-12.00 Guests arrive at the Royal Palace
11.00-12.00 Guests arrive at the Royal Chapel, the Royal Palace
Photo pool in the South vault
12.00 Christening ceremony, Royal Chapel at the Royal Palace
The invited reporters will be able to sit inside the Royal Chapel
13.00 Their Majesties reception, the Royal Palace
Media accreditation for Prince Oscar's christening - Sveriges Kungahus

Last edited by a moderator:
Some municipalities have said no to participation at "Prince Oscar's Nature Playground", the christening present governor Margareta Pålsson wants to give to prince Oscar. According to Skånska Dagbladet Malmö, Svedala, Lund and Kävlinge have said no (Malmö has told that they will give another present). Ystad, Sjöbo, Trelleborg and Tomelilla have said yes. But in Tomelilla Social Democrats have appealed the decision to contribute money.
The collection isnow, despite some resistance up to SEK 600 000, mainly thanks to donations from the companies.
One of the entrepreneurs who have participated is builder and hockey magnate Percy Nilsson in Malmö. Through his company Parfast he contributes by 20 000 SEK to Prince Oscar's playground.
- One should take part in. Prince Oscar is the future, he will represent Sweden and Skåne in the years to come, says Percy Nilsson to Kvällsposten.
- It's too bad that they don't want to take part. This is all about so little money for the municipalities in Skåne.
Nilsson says he has absolutely not sought any attention for his gift. He was surprised when Skånska Dagbladet wanted to talk with him about this.
- I haven't done this with any purpose for myself. I didn't know that they would find out about it.
- But I think that the whole royal family are doing a really good job. They represent Sweden in a really nice, and business-like manner. I don't care about their name and don't see them as royalty but as people who are doing something good for the country.
Percy Nilsson trött på tjafset – ger 20 000 till prinsen _ Kvällsposten

@Lady Finn - I wonder what is behind the objections? Are these cities bastions of republicanism or is there a local economic strain and the contributions are too much on the cities' public coffers? Looks like private and some public funding for the playground now.

@Lady Finn - I wonder what is behind the objections? Are these cities bastions of republicanism or is there a local economic strain and the contributions are too much on the cities' public coffers? Looks like private and some public funding for the playground now.

Probably both. Different priorities wether there is left wing or right wing political majority.

It can also be something that aligns with past dealings with the organizers (animosities, rivalries, etc.) and or/your local ideas being rejected. Just saying.

The officiating clergy at the christening of Prince Oscar will be the The Most Reverend Dr. Antje Jackelén, Archbishop, assisted by The Right Reverend Dr. Johan Dalman, Bishop and Chief Court Chaplain, and The Reverend Michael Bjerkhagen, Court Chaplain and Rector of the Royal Court Parish.
After the christening ceremony there will be a reception for invited guests, after which a private lunch will take place.
The invited guests are the immediate family, European Royal families, and representatives of the Riksdag, the Government and official Sweden.
Prince Oscar will be christened in the same gown worn by Princess Estelle, Princess Leonore, and Prince Nicolas at their christenings, and the water used at the christening will come from a spring on Öland.
Officiating clergy at the christening of HRH Prince Oscar - Sveriges Kungahus

Special website for the christening has been opened to the swedish website of the court. Those who want to give presents, the crown princess couple hopes that they would consider a donation to the Crown Princess Couple's Foundation. The christening font will be the same used at Estelle's christening, and the cradle will be Karl XV's cradle used for Leonore and Nicolas.
Prins Oscars dop - Sveriges Kungahus

Last edited:
Can't wait for the christening! I'm anxious for the guest list and the godparents.

Back
Top Bottom