Christening of Prince Oscar: May 27, 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow, the kids are on the list as well so I expect to see both Leonore and Nicolas tomorrow.... From what I got by the queen, it didn't feel like the would be present.... lovely!

Again, what motive should SVT have for deliberately posting the wrong picture?

Perhaps the person who pasted the photo is opposed to the change in the order of succession and sees Alexander as the proper future monarch.

Last edited:
They have chosen a good set of godparents. And I am sure that Princess Leonore and Prince Nicolas will play with Princess Estelle during the christening.

If we will see Prince Oscar at the christening of Prince Alexander?

Perhaps the person who pasted the photo is opposed to the change in the order of succession and sees Alexander as the proper monarch.

I don't think that there is one person, today, that is opposed to Victoria, being the heir.
The change in order took place in 1980, so nearly 40 years ago:flowers:

I don't think that there is one person, today, that is opposed to Victoria, being the heir.

Agree. I just think the posting of the wrong picture was common sloppy and lazy newspaper editors. It seems to be the same all over the world lately. Spelling errors, incorrect names under photos and quasi scandals made-up over nothing.

I agree as well. I was just brainstorming an answer to the question

The godparents have been announced:

Faddrar till Prins Oscar - Sveriges Kungahus

H.K.H. Kronprins Frederik
H.K.H. Kronprinsessan Mette-Marit
H.K.H. Prinsessan Madeleine
Herr Oscar Magnuson
Herr Hans Åström

I am disappointed that Guillaume hasn't been chosen as a godparent, I am not terribily excited about Mette-Marit as a godmother either, but I guess ithe chosen list is OK.

Again, what motive should SVT have for deliberately posting the wrong picture?

in my opinion it was just a mistake - unrelated to succession complaints and issues.

Looks like a nice guest list though i am a bit surprised that there aren't more personal friends of Victoria and Daniel on the list.
Nice to see that almost everyone of Daniels close relatives will be there.

A positive surprise to see Leonore and Nicolas at the list. I didn't expected them after what Queen Silvia recently told.
They seems to be very lively children but hey, anyone who is disturbed by lively children should not attend cheistenings. As the priests in my parish usually tell families : Children who are laughing, screaming, crying, running around etc is just a sign of new life, that life continues. And that's what the christening is all about, that life never stops as long as God wants it to continue and that we are all carried by God through our lives.

Looks like a nice guest list though i am a bit surprised that there aren't more personal friends of Victoria and Daniel on the list.

I don't think this list includes personal friends. Court staff is also omitted. So there will probably be plenty of people atteding that are not on the list.

Prince Oscar's Coat of Arms and monogram
Prins Oscars*vapensköld och monogram - Sveriges Kungahus
Translation

The guest list. Leonore and Nicolas are on the list, and princesses Margaretha and Christina of the king's sisters. The friends of Victoria and Daniel aren't listed.
Gästlista till Prins Oscars dop - Sveriges Kungahus

The prince's coat of arms is ringed by the Collar (Chain) of the Order of the Seraphim, a mark of special distinction, which is included in the coat of arms of his cousin Prince Nicolas but not those of Princess Estelle, Princess Leonore, or Prince Daniel.

Why is the ambassador of the Dominican Republic on the guest list?

looking forward to the christening

Lovely list of godparents, no big surprises! I actually like that between Estelle and Oscar they have used the other Scandinavian Crown Princely couples.

The ambassador of the Dominican Republic is the Doyen of the Diplomatic Corps in Stockholm. She serves as a link between the diplomatic community and the Protocol for concerns regarding the whole community. She will represent the Diplomatic Corps on official occasions. The Doyen also serves as an informal guide for new Ambassadors to Stockholm.
New Doyen of the Diplomatic Corps - Government.se

I'm sure that we will see a lot of Victoria's and Daniel's friends and the staff of the court although they are not mentioned at the guest list. They weren't at Estelle's guest list either and still we saw a lot of friends at the christening.

There will be prince Fredrik Adolf's crown at the altar and prince Oscar will get the Order of the Seraphim. This is the first time prince Fredrik Adolf's crown is used at the royal ceremonies in modern time.
Krona och Serafimerorden - Sveriges Kungahus

At Estelle's christening there was prince Oscar's crown, Leonore's princess Eugénie's crown and Nicolas's princess Hedvig Elisabeth Charlotta's crown.

Last edited:
They have chosen a good set of godparents. And I am sure that Princess Leonore and Prince Nicolas will play with Princess Estelle during the christening.

If we will see Prince Oscar at the christening of Prince Alexander?

I would be shocked if she did. Taking a likely 4 month old to a christening seems very unlikely. Nicolas is a bit young at 11 months, though Estelle was the same age at Madeleine's wedding.

With Estelle and her two cousins it should be quite lively event. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
I would be shocked if she did. Taking a likely 4 month old to a christening seems very unlikely. Nicolas is a bit young at 11 months, though Estelle was the same age at Madeleine's wedding.

Estelle was over 15 months old at Madeleine's wedding.

I didn't mean the exact same age. I meant generally around the 1 year mark. My point being that a 4 month old (Oscar if the christening is in July) is a major difference then a child around 1.

At Nicolas' age, it really depends on the child. Look at Estelle at Madeleine's wedding vs Leonor at CP's wedding. We will have to see how Nicolas handles the christening. But taking a small infant, one who is still mainly in the sleep and nurse stage, to a long christening makes little sense. I was surprised to see him at the balcony, and that was shorter.

I am very happy for Crown Princess Mette-Marit!
Based on pictures/videos from past couple of years - Crown Princess Victoria seems to have gotten quite close to her. They are very fond of each other.

The prince's coat of arms is ringed by the Collar (Chain) of the Order of the Seraphim, a mark of special distinction, which is included in the coat of arms of his cousin Prince Nicolas but not those of Princess Estelle, Princess Leonore, or Prince Daniel.

That is very odd. Any particular reason why the princes have the chain in their coat of arms while the princess do not (maybe connected to agnatic succession) ?

Many of the coats of arms displayed on royalty websites, Wikipedia, and so forth were created by amateur heraldists and are not approved by the royal families or by heraldic authorities. The official design of Prince Daniel's coat of arms, created by the State Herald of Sweden and confirmed by the King, does not include the collar, and Prince Daniel has never worn one.

Mr Daniel Westling's coat of arms and monogram are unveiled - Sveriges Kungahus

That is very odd. Any particular reason why the princes have the chain in their coat of arms while the princess do not (maybe connected to agnatic succession) ?

The King appears to have reserved it for princes of the blood (with an exception made for the Crown Princess, if my memory serves me correctly), although not necessarily in the agnatic line, as Prince Nicolas has it.

Last edited:
Before 1975, all Swedish knights of the order of the Seraphim were given the chain. Foreign knights were given it only as a special distinction. Heads of state were usually given the sash at the first state visit and the chain at the second one. After 1975, the chain is not automatically given to Swedish knights. As far as i know, the King, the Crown Princess and Prince Carl Philip are the only ones.

The heraldic practice is different. Shields are painter for all the members of the knights (male) and members (female). Shields of knights are always depicted with the chain, and members with the sash. Exceptions are reigning queens and crown princesses who get the chain instead of the sash. Outside the order, the chain or sash can be omitted.

Thus, Prince Daniel's shield can be depicted with the chain (picture) but he does not actually have it.

Last edited:
:previous:
I appreciate the correction. :flowers:

The heraldic practice is different. [...]

Thus, Prince Daniel's shield can be depicted with the chain (picture) but he does not actually have it.

Do you know why the chain was omitted from the official drawing of Prince Daniel's arms but included in those of the young princes?

:previous:
Do you know why the chain was omitted from the official drawing of Prince Daniel's arms but included in those of the young princes?

I am not sure. The chain is an optional part of the arms. My guess would be that since the arms were presented five days before the announcement that Daniel was appointed to the order, they simply did not want to give away the surprise. ;)

I could be wrong, but may be an issue of timing. The shield was ordered designed at the time of the engagement, in 2009. At the time, a decision whether Daniel would be given the order or not, may not have been made. The coat was released on June 15, and the announcement of his order, on the 19th (wedding day). With the princes, it has been established before their birth, that like their sisters they will have the order from birth. And the order has been added to their coat of arms.

Here's Daniel coat of arms as listed in Wikipedia:

Prince_Daniel,_Duke_of_V%C3%A4sterg%C3%B6tland

The collars are for the men as they are knights of the Seraphim order, the women are members.

All adult members of the immediate royal family have an individual coat of arms except Chris and Sofia.

All very interesting, but can i just say that i hope that at the end of today there will be more posts about P.Oscar, his baptism or the people involved in this thread than about his dad's coat of arms :lol:

Reactions: eya
Back
Top Bottom