Christening of Prince Oscar: May 27, 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
yes, i am excited to find out who his godparents will be. the only obvious one that comes to mind is of course madeleine. i hope they choose royal godparents (mostly) for oscar too.

for that matter, i see that neither oscar nor alexander have been added to the royal family website yet...

The officiating clergy at the christening of Prince Oscar will be the The Most Reverend Dr. Antje Jackelén, Archbishop, assisted by The Right Reverend Dr. Johan Dalman, Bishop and Chief Court Chaplain, and The Reverend Michael Bjerkhagen, Court Chaplain and Rector of the Royal Court Parish.
After the christening ceremony there will be a reception for invited guests, after which a private lunch will take place.
The invited guests are the immediate family, European Royal families, and representatives of the Riksdag, the Government and official Sweden.
Prince Oscar will be christened in the same gown worn by Princess Estelle, Princess Leonore, and Prince Nicolas at their christenings, and the water used at the christening will come from a spring on Öland.
Officiating clergy at the christening of HRH Prince Oscar - Sveriges Kungahus

Special website for the christening has been opened to the swedish website of the court. Those who want to give presents, the crown princess couple hopes that they would consider a donation to the Crown Princess Couple's Foundation. The christening font will be the same used at Estelle's christening, and the cradle will be Karl XV's cradle used for Leonore and Nicolas.
Prins Oscars dop - Sveriges Kungahus

So there is now an official confirmation that European royal families have been invited, which suggests at least one (possibly more) royal godparents.

Last edited:
Not surprising for royals coming; Oscar is the son of a future queen. As for a royal godparent, besides Madeleine, I'm betting Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark.

I wouldn't be shocked by Fred, but I am not certain he will be. Victoria has a lot of people to honor, including the parents of her royal godchildren. She used Mary for Estelle. I would love Philippe/Mathilde since she is to Eleanor. She is also said to be very close to Guillaume and he would be a nice choice this time. I still think Maddie (sure bet), 2 foreign royals, and then either 2 friends or a friend and one of Vic's cousins.

Governor Margareta Pålsson told on Tuesday at the website of the County Administrative Board of Skåne, that the collection of Prince Oscars symbolic christening present - a Nature Playground in Söderåsen National Park - is now up to 600,000 SEK.
- We now have enough money to build a Nature Playground, but we need to get together a little more to get something really good. Therefore, we keep the collection open throughout June. The more money, the more fun it will be for Skåne's children, says Governor Margareta Pålsson.
Since the collection was opened to the public a large number of people contributed with larger and smaller sums.
- All individuals who are involved are equally pleasing. Many realize that this is a really good present, which Skåne's children and hospitality industry will have benefit. A lovely nature playground, built in and by nature, will make that even more families will find the amazing National Park of Söderåsen, says Pålsson.
600 000 kronor till prins Oscars naturlek - hittills - Länsstyrelsen i Skåne
Translation

Skånska Dagbladet told on Wednesday that Svalöv municipality is positive to contribute to the christening present of Prince Oscar.
On the meeting of the municipal executive board it was decided that the municipality contributes with one SEK per inhabitant.
- We think it is a good decision. The money stays on Söderåsen and it is not directly directed present to the new prince, says municipal Torbjörn Ekelund.
Unlike many other municipalities Svalöv chooses to accommodate the wishes of the governor Margareta Pålsson sent out. Many have dropped out and told that they don't want to use tax money for such purposes.
In Svalöv they think differently. Not least given that the playground should be placed in the nature reserve and at the same time it means great PR with more and new tourists from outside.
- One can question the decision purely ideological, but given that Prince Oscar does not receive the money personally, the present stays on Söderåsen and all the children who go there have the benefit of the playground, we see the decision as entirely reasonable.
Where the new playground will be placed is not yet decided. Most likely, the choice will be between Svalöv and Klippan municipalities.
- Of course we want the playground placed with us, but on the whole it does basically not matter. The tourists who come to the area move across Söderåsen, Torbjörn Ekelund thinks.
En krona per invånare till dopet _ Skånska Dagbladet
Translation

According to the website of the norwegian court
Crown prince Haakon and crown princess Mette-Marit will attend at the christening on 26th May (Mette-Marit has also a work event on that day)
And crown prince Haakon will attend with king Harald at a meeting of the Council of State on 27th May at 11.00...
The Royal House of Norway - Official engagements

Last edited by a moderator:
Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary of Denmark will be attending the christening, Billed Bladet says the Royal Court has confirmed (calendar on their website only goes up until May 26 at this point).

Kronprinsparret fejrer prins Oscar i Sverige | BILLED-BLADET

And now is to official agenda

Kronprinsparret deltager i kongelig barnedåb for H.K.H. Prins Oscar | Kongehuset

Can someone call the norwegian court to tell them that the christening is to May 27th?

And now is no longer in the official agenda!! I think soon we have correction!! What a mistake is that? And now the question They are in the christening or not?

Last edited by a moderator:
How neat, the SRF holds two christenings for Oscar so Haakon and Mette-Marit can make it! That must make MM a shoo-in godmother :D :p

Could the information at the website of the norwegian royal court mean that Victoria and Daniel are hosting a dinner to their closest and the royal guests on 26th May and Haakon and Mette-Marit are attending to that?

:previous: That could be but I'm inclined to believe it's just a typo as it says "The Crown Prince and Crown Princess are attending Prince Oscar's christening" – not a dinner but the actual christening.

:previous: well the Norwegian court has made it interesting.
MM has an event the 26, Haakon is listed as attending the state council on the 27 with the king.
and they are both listed as attending the baptism a day early :p

Reactions: eya
I am not reading anything into the couples attending. Victoria attended the baptism of both Isabella and Sverre Magnus even though not godmother. Her, Fred and Haakon are so close, it is not odd that they would attend such events even if not involved

Yesterday was the last day for municipalities, companies and people to pay to the christening present of Skåne, The Prince Oscar's Nature Playground - if they wanted to have their name on the board that Oscar will get on his christening day.
Governor Margareta Pålsson told:
- Now we've got 870 500 SEK. A natural playground where all children can play will be built. And there will be nothing gilded, but everything is built of natural materials.
Sista dagen för den skånska dopgåvan till prins Oscar - P4 Malmöhus _ Sveriges Radio
Translation

Giant gift for Prince Oscar's christening
Clearly Prince Oscar, Duke of Skåne, shall have a huge spettkaka to his christening. To make it took 12 hours and required 800 eggs, 20 kg of sugar and the same amount of potato flour.
Next week Prince Oscar will be christened. Just in time for that baker Jörgen Vollmer brings the giant cake to the capital.
- It is baked to the christening. But the cake will not be taken to the Palace. It will stand at the NK department store so that people can see it, Vollmer says.
The cake measures approximately two meters and the production took a total of twelve hours.
- Baking took ten hours. We baked it in one piece. But we have the right-sized ovens so it went well.
Vollmer had both his wife and mother to help him. But it is not a record cake.
- It's the biggest I've done. But it is not a world record. The bakery's former owner, my wife's uncle has the world record, he baked a cake that was almost four meters high. It is still at the Guinness Book of Records.
The transportation trip starts on Sunday and includes an overnight stay.
- I have built a special cradle where the cake is set during the car ride. So it will survive.
Vollmer has plenty of experience.
- Yes, I have a little routine. Genuine spettkakor may only be baked in Skåne. So I transport them to other places.
Jättepresenten till prins Oscars dop _ Kvällsposten

About "Spettkaka/spettekaka"
Spettekaka - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Victoria gets a spettkaka (a smaller one) every year on her birthday at the Solliden Palace courtyard as a present.

Last edited:
It's interesting that the Norwegian court hasn't just changed the date of the calendar entry instead of deleting it entirely. Regardless, since it was posted (albeit under the wrong date), I think we can count on Haakon and Mette-Marit attending.

Counting down to Oscar's christening. :)

He's having a regional dessert made in his honor, royal guests coming (it's still up in the air for Haakon & MM? And are W-A & Maxima coming?)

Can't wait for the godparents' list - and to see Oscar's monogram and coat of arms.

There is nothing on the Dutch calendar. Unlike Fred and Haakon, I don't think the Dutch couple close enough to Victoria to attend if not godparents.

Now the norwegian court has put the christening again to the calendar on the right day 27th May and tell that Haakon and Mette-Marit will attend - but there reads still that Haakon should be with the king at the Royal Palace in Oslo at 11.00 when the christening is in Stockholm at 12.00.

I stumbled across this image about SVT promoting its broadcast of the christening & I couldn't believe it:

https://65.media.tumblr.com/9bf2d0698a33ba6fc7ac8afc8588559c/tumblr_o7igq6miUF1u92s1fo1_540.jpg

How could SVT make such a blatant mistake and put the wrong royal couple on there? It's Oscar's christening, not Alexander's. And if it's intentional I think it's insulting to the Crown Princess couple.

EDIT: I checked SVT's website (SVT.SE) just to see if this is a social media stunt. Nope, it's not.

Last edited:
:previous: So embarrassing! :argh:

ETA: maybe the employee doesn't follow royalty? Another reminder to always double (and sometimes triple) check your work.

Last edited:
I am sorry, even if you are not a big royal fan, if you work for a Swedish news network, how do you not know what CP Victoria looks like :bang: I mean that has to such a stupid mistake, don't know how it got passed anyone.

Oh dear, that's an embarrassing mistake - hopefully it will be corrected.

Last edited:
How could SVT make such a blatant mistake and put the wrong royal couple on there? It's Oscar's christening, not Alexander's. And if it's intentional I think it's insulting to the Crown Princess couple..

What makes you think it was done deliberately? It's most likely an honest mistake by an employee who doesn't follow royalty as closely as we do. Can we please not turn this into yet another smear campaign? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
:previous: Nobody said it was deliberate just IDIOTIC. I am sorry, but if you work for the Swedish news agency, you should know public figures like the CP and her husband. If you don't, I am sure it would take 3 seconds to google it or ask someone. How embarrassing. We're not talking some foreign magazine or blog.

For a story or an announcement to be published it still has to go through another person for final approval before release. So at least two people made a blatant mistake. SVT needs to correct it and issue an apology for the misprint.

:previous: What exactly do you want them to apologise for? Accidentally putting up the wrong picture? If news agencies had to apologise for trifles like this, they would hardly be doing anything else – these things happen all the time. Sloppy, sure, but hardly the end of the world ;)

:previous: Nobody said it was deliberate just IDIOTIC. I am sorry, but if you work for the Swedish news agency, you should know public figures like the CP and her husband. If you don't, I am sure it would take 3 seconds to google it or ask someone. How embarrassing. We're not talking some foreign magazine or blog.

Actually, Madame Verseau insinuated it could have been done intentionally hence my inquiry :) I highly doubt this is a matter of someone not knowing who's who in the royal family but more a question of them simply inserting the wrong picture on a page that little to no people have any intention to visit yet. Is that embarrassing? I don't know, I suppose that depends on the person – doesn't get me riled up. But rest assured, I have no doubt in my mind it will be changed before the christening ;)

I guess some people just have lower standards. Seeing as you are Danish, would you blink if a Danish reporter called Benedikte Queen Margrethe??? I guess where I come from, apologies are made by magazines and papers when they make a royal screw up like posting a wrong picture or name. It is their JOB to know who they are writing and publishing about.

I think it is a genuine mistake, it is human to err. The person who made the mistake must be feeling terrible. Hey, we have been there, you hit a wrong button, and it is gone and you cannot pull it back – and then you are so embarrassed and wish the walls would just open up and swallow you. The Station needs to correct it the sooner the better.

:previous: I agree with you and I must say, I absolutely do not understand this kind of fuss over what most likely is an honest mistake.

I guess some people just have lower standards. Seeing as you are Danish, would you blink if a Danish reporter called Benedikte Queen Margrethe??? I guess where I come from, apologies are made by magazines and papers when they make a royal screw up like posting a wrong picture or name. It is their JOB to know who they are writing and publishing about.

But that's not a comparable situation? First of all, QMII and Benedikte have been around for a good while longer than Oscar and Alexander who were born less than three months ago ;) Secondly, they didn't call Oscar "Alexander". They accidentally inserted a picture of the royal baby who was born a month after Oscar and yes, I have seen Benedikte identified as QMII before and no, it didn't rile me up (and to use a more comparable example, various Danish papers, magazines and news outlets misidentify the Danish royal children all the time and while it annoys me, a seasoned royal watcher, as much as when the Daily Fail leaves out the crown in "Crown Princess Mary", it doesn't even come close to offend me).

The mere idea of SVT issuing an apology for something that most likely will be fixed tomorrow on a site especially for the broadcast of the christening that the vast majority of Swedes probably don't know exist yet is, pardon my French, absolutely ridiculous. I'm totally following that it's a sloppy mistake, I think so too, but issuing an apology over a stupid picture would be making mountains out of molehills and completely unnecessary. Besides, SVT is neither a magazine nor a paper, it's a television broadcaster.

Last edited:
I believe it was just a simple error and that an apology is not necessary.:)

Back
Top Bottom