The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-28-2016, 10:35 AM
Heir Apparent

I have a question about one of the songs performed during the ceremony: One of the last hymns was a song dedicated to the duke of Skane...but... the music was the one of the german nation anthem! Does anyone know why?

you can hear the son atabout min 21:52
Prins Oscars dop - Prins Oscars dop | SVT Play

here it's the german anthem:

only the words have changed!

Old 05-28-2016, 11:17 AM
Heir Apparent

My Country Tis A Thee which is a US patriotic song has the same music as God Save The Queen.

Apparently the music for the German anthem was written by Joseph Haydn in 1797 as a anthem for Francis II, Holy Roman Emperor's birthday. The lyrics didn't come until 1841. So the music could have been used for another song. It's didn't become the German anthem until 1922.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Old 05-28-2016, 11:45 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty91charmed View Post
I have a question about one of the songs performed during the ceremony: One of the last hymns was a song dedicated to the duke of Skane...but... the music was the one of the german nation anthem! Does anyone know why?
I don't think it is the same song, is it?

Indeed the "Deutschland über alles" is a song by Joseph Haydn wiki that might be used for other purposes, but I can't really recognize it in the footage of the baptism?
Old 05-28-2016, 01:44 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Watching the video now, Oscar was pretty good with the water, until they held him up after for all to see. He doesn't seem to share his sister's love of the spotlight

Leonor has definitely inherited her cousin's spirit. She was a handful for Chris and Madeleine at the wedding as a wiggly baby. The toddler doesn't seem to have grown out of the phase I loved Nicolas' glowing toothbrush to distract him.
I've just watched the particular clip of the christening with Nicolas again, and after looking closer this time, I wonder if Nicolas's toothbrush is a toy to soothe his teething. I thought it was a generic toothbrush initially but it does look as if it could be that, too.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 05-28-2016, 02:38 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Yes, the Song of Skåne has the same melody than the German National Anthem.
"The piece, which Haydn wrote under the name Emperor Quartet, was performed at the Royal Chapel by Drottningholm Baroque Ensemble.
- It was actually the Song of Skåne before it became the German national anthem, says Mary Ljungqvist Hén, the court organist, who saw the song as a tribute to both the prince and grandmother Silvia, who in a few weeks has been the Swedish queen in 40 years."
Lugn Lillprins döpt - DN.SE
Translation

Videos:
Arrivals and leaving the chapel
En ny prins är döpt!
The children at the christening
Kungliga småttingar på Prins Oscars dop
Old 05-28-2016, 03:00 PM
Heir Presumptive

Thanks LadyFinn for this info, I stand corrected
Old 05-28-2016, 03:06 PM
Gentry

What a ceremony! Oscar is so unbelievable pretty. These cherry eyes
And again, I found Leonore to be the secret main attraction. A busy little lady Liked so much how she was fighting not to miss a yot, how she stretched out to see what happened in the height, and how Victoria then took her up to show her the ceremony. My favourite scene of the whole event!

And then Nicolas with his tooth brush
Old 05-28-2016, 03:24 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:

you can hear the son atabout min 21:52
Prins Oscars dop - Prins Oscars dop | SVT Play

here it's the german anthem:

only the words have changed!

The music is by Haydn and is also used in the Austrian Imperial Anthem, as seen in the clip below.

Old 05-28-2016, 03:55 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveSwede View Post
When all the other royal children were christened they were carried in on a cushion (or a pillow), why is this not the case with Estelle or Oscar? No cushion/pillow for him or Estelle? It was seen as Nicolas' christening.
Maybe Victoria and Daniel didn't want it. I doubt a cushion/pillow would be required.
Old 05-28-2016, 04:01 PM
Heir Presumptive

Maybe it's a very dumb remark, but wouldn't it be easier to hold the baby *without* an extra pillow?
Old 05-28-2016, 04:06 PM
Imperial Majesty

Galleries from Dana press
ROYAL: Ankunft der Royals zur Taufe von Oscar
ROYAL: Stimmungsbilder anlass Taufe von Prinz Oscar
ROYAL: Ankunft der engsten Familienmitglieder, Freunde und der Gäste zur Taufe von Prinz Oscar
ROYAL: Die Taufzeremonie in der Schlosskirche
ROYAL: Ankunft Kronprinzessin Victoria, Daniel und Oscar
ROYAL: Die stolze Familie bei der Ankunft in der Schlosskirche
ROYAL: Alle Gäste - enge Freunde und Familienmitglieder
ROYAL: Royals und Gäste verlassen die Schlosskirche von der Taufe Prinz Oscar
ROYAL: Victoria, Daniel und Oscar verlassen die Schlosskirche
ROYAL: Klein Nicolas zahnt - Papa Chris O'Neill brachte die Zahnbürste mit
ROYAL: Rums! Leonore tobte wild und kippte mit dem Stuhl um!
ROYAL: Königsfamilie und Taufpaten zeigen sich auf Slottsbacken nach der Taufe von Prinz Oscar

ROYAL: Da weinte der kleine Prinz - Victoria hat Oscar getröstet
ROYAL: BILDSPEZIAL TITELBILDER - Kronprinzessin Victoria, Oscar & andere
ROYAL: Papa Chris kümmerte sich ganz lieb um seinen Sohn
ROYAL: Gute Freunde - Mary und Haakon unterhielten sich bestens
ROYAL: Das süsse Taufkind - bezaubernder Prinz Oscar
ROYAL: Mette-Marit ganz verzückt vom kleinen Oscar
ROYAL: Estelle müde, dann blühte sie auf wie immer
ROYAL: Gut gemacht, kleiner Prinz - Oscar und seine Familie nach der Taufe
ROYAL: Taufe als Treffpunkt - Omas und Opas unter sich
ROYAL: Die schönsten Bilder zur Taufe von Prinz Oscar
ROYAL: Estelles & Oscars Taufbecken und das besondere Taufwasser

The reception
ROYAL: Das Königspaar lädt zum Empfang auf Schloss Stockholm ein
Old 05-28-2016, 08:02 PM
Heir Presumptive

I finally watched the video today, a lovely christening.

Daniel and Victoria are such a wonderful couple! My favourite part though was seeing Estelle with Ewa Westling. It's clear they have a very close relationship.
Old 05-28-2016, 08:13 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-Z View Post
Maybe it's a very dumb remark, but wouldn't it be easier to hold the baby *without* an extra pillow?

Absolutely yes! Without a pillow, you have a firmer grip on the baby.

Beautiful christening...I love the photo of Ewa Westling and Estelle hugging. Beautiful!
Old 05-29-2016, 02:45 AM
Imperial Majesty

Videos

Old 05-29-2016, 03:10 AM
Imperial Majesty

Madeleine posted this morning these photos of Estelle and Leonore to her Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/PrincessMad...59815980822508

I just wonder why she had to publish them before the court has published any official photos. I wish she would have waited until the court has published the official photos of the family with the main person of the day, prince Oscar.
Old 05-29-2016, 03:57 AM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
Madeleine posted this morning these photos of Estelle and Leonore to her Facebook

I just wonder why she had to publish them before the court has published any official photos. I wish she would have waited until the court has published the official photos of the family with the main person of the day, prince Oscar.
Princess Madeleine commented:
Quote:
My sister and I are blessed as mothers with two sweet little girls who adore each other!
Photo Anna-Lena Ahlström, The Royal Court
Old 05-29-2016, 04:01 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

Because these aren't official court pictures. Even if a photographer took them. It is a proud Aunty sharing adorable family photos. Yes, it was Oscar's day, but the picture was not about the christening. It was about the bond between the two little cousins. I am sure her and Victoria both love watching the two together. Such a sweet moment.

Now if she published pictures of Oscar before the court, would seem odd.
Old 05-29-2016, 04:19 AM
Imperial Majesty

Yes, but Oscar and his family were the main people of the day and publishing any photos we didn't see at the christening before we have seen the official photos feels very odd to me. But it is just my opinion.

The Sommerlaths
Queen's brother Ralf (born 1929) with his wife Charlotte
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image
Ralf's son Thomas with Bettina Aussems
Queen's brother Walther L. (born 1934) with his son Patrick and Patrick's son Leopold (Victoria's godson)
Patrick's wife Maline with their daughters Chloé and Anaïs.
Old 05-29-2016, 04:40 AM
Heir Presumptive

Just saw the video of the event. Lovely all round.

Everyone looks great. Love the Queens's shawl.

Quote:
Here are for you some photos from today of Daniel and Oscar .
Very sweet picture.

Quote:
Such a treat to be able to see!
Old 05-29-2016, 04:50 AM
Gentry

The pictures with Estelle and Leonore were too cute for words.
How much both girls have grown since the first picture of them where Estelle was holding baby Leonore. Estelle is now even big enough to wear beautiful facinator instead of little-girls bows :)

Quite frankly I don't understand why she shouldn't have post these pictures? These were pictures of two little cousins that won't be published by The Court but are too wonderful to stay hidden away! And if Victoria didn't mind her posting them, then why complain? Besides today is Mother's Day in Sweden, isn't it?

BTW: I love to see close bond between sisters and their daughters. It was soo sweet to see how at the christening Victoria was holding Leonore while Madeleine was with Estelle. I also enjoy to see loving relationship Estelle has with her Westling grandparents. Oscar is lucky to have Estelle as his big sister.